Start date changed so can't make cruise

Balloon Man

My TA has told me that Princess has moved the start date of our cruise from Valparaiso to Rio on Golden from 20 December this year to the 19th "so they can add an extra port of call". My problem is that I arrive in Valparaiso on the 20th and am unable to change this because I'm getting off another cruise.

I've already booked air at each end using my air miles, so that cannot be changed either.

It's been confirmed to my TA in the UK but I've heard nothing from Princess, and their web site still shows Golden leaving Valparaiso on the 20th. Not good customer service.

Under UK law (which is why we pay so much for our cruises) I could take them to court and probably win as unreasonable T&Cs ("We can do anything we want") are not acceptable.

But any suggestions from fellow CCs would be most welcome. As will any information about similar changes you have encountered.

We can't be the only couple who face having Christmas at sea ruined in this way.

Edited by Balloon Man

Other than taking them to court, I'd consider disembarking at the previous port and flying to Santiago to catch up with the Golden. Would your insurance pay for a deviation and/or trip interruption? Since you're already locked in, that's what I'd do once the date change is confirmed. You would need prior approval from Princess to disembark.

Plus, it seems surprising that they'd cut short the cruise in front of yours (which, at least according to the Princess website, is not scheduled to arrive in Santiago until 20 December).

Worse case scenario, I think you may be left with disembarking your first cruise early to get to Santiago in time or arriving as scheduled (now late!) and catching a flight to catch up with the Golden at its next port (neither of which are ideal).

Also, if the date for your cruise has changed by a day, it means the previous cruise was shortened by a day.

That may make a lot of people booked on that one unhappy. That itinerary will either have to skip a port or change an overnight stay in one port to a single day.

Edited by caribill

With the cruise now sailing a day earlier on the 19th that would also affect those on the Golden's previous cruise whose return flights would be scheduled on the 20th. My experiences when using air miles is that sometimes it's easier to make changes than with a paid ticket. Doesn't your air miles program allow changes for a fee? If having to cancel flights the fee to return the miles to my account is better than losing a non-refundable ticket.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Thank you all, but our arriving cruise is on Celebrity from FL. Miami is closer and easier to reach from the UK than LA from where the Princess cruise originated. Hence Celebrity.

Having happily agreed to our first Christmas away from home my better half (that's what we call DW/DH) in the UK is now very unhappy.

I believe the issue is that Princess can't dock in Valparaiso on the 20th due to construction at the port (since Celebrity will be there), that's why they're having to change the two cruises.

Definitely see if you can join Golden at the second port.

Edited by likeadisguise

This happened to a friend of mine on a cruise on the Sapphire. He had his air booked and Princess changed the sailing date by a whole month. His TA did get him compensation for his change in the flight. Plus he got OBC and a few other perks. But the TA had to fight hard to get him help. So I would contact the TA first. Then see if your TA can get you to leave the previous cruise early and fly from wherever the Celebrity cruise drops you off to the Princess port. BUT Princess should pay for the flight and any extra money needed in order to change your plans . Suing Princess would be the very last option to use. Work with them, not fight with them is always better.

This is a tough one with no easy advice, but here something to think about. From the postings I'm thinking you are on the Infinity sailing from Ft. Lauderdale on December 5.

If it were us we would try to book the Infinity on a second leg around Cape Horn all the way to Buenos Aires. Then change your flights to fly home from B.A.

I don't think there is any cost effective way to disembark the Infinity early and get to Valparaiso by or on the 19th.

Good Luck, while disappointing right now, all might work out in the end. You will probably enjoy the extended Celebrity Cruise.

If possible, submit your claim to Princess for the extra costs involved.

Why not just fly in on the 20th as planned, then fly on to the next port of call and catch up with the ship that way? There ARE solutions; it just depends on what you're willing to do to make the cruise work for you.

"What I'm willing to do"? This is not a problem of my making. Surely it's a question of what Princess is willing to do. I'm willing to be flexible but I haven't been offered flexible.

And yes, I know the web site still shows this ship leaving Valparaiso on the 20th. And no, Princess has not been in touch with me. And yes, it does mean that the previous cruise from LA will be one day shorter. So unhappy customers all round.

The reason they have given my TA is that they wish to add an extra port on the Valparaiso to Rio cruise and so need to depart a day earlier. No mention of work at the port being the cause - which would have given them a more reasonable excuse.

Why not just fly in on the 20th as planned, then fly on to the next port of call and catch up with the ship that way? There ARE solutions; it just depends on what you're willing to do to make the cruise work for you.

Um, read all the OP's post?

'My problem is that I arrive in Valparaiso on the 20th and am unable to change this because I'm getting off another cruise.'

Um, read all the OP's post?

'My problem is that I arrive in Valparaiso on the 20th and am unable to change this because I'm getting off another cruise.'

Excuse me. I meant "arrive" (instead of "fly into") in Valparaiso as planned on the 20th. Fly to the next port to catch the Princess cruise. See if Princess will cover the flights and the extra hotel night if the next port isn't the next day.

Getting mad and all frustrated is not solving the situation. They've made the change, so work around it.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

Princess has not been in touch with me.

Princess must contact you through your TA. They will not contact you directly.

That's the 'price' of using a TA.

Good luck. Hopefully it will get all worked out.

As a fellow Brit I can fully understand your anger and frustration!

I would feel the same.

I am always amazed at how some people seem to support the cruise lines no matter what they do.

It must be extremely disappointing to have your Christmas plans thrown up into the air. It's not an easy matter to simply change your plans, or just work with it.

As Brits we are used to paying through the nose, being locked into prices, forfeiting our deposits should we be unable to sail and not receiving upgrades, OBC, multiple cabin changes etc etc. but this really takes the biscuit.

I do hope that Princess can come up with a solution. Where is your next port and how many days away is it? If it is the next day and close then it might be possible, but losing several days cruise and being stuck in a hotel instead is not ideal.

I have fingers crossed for you that an inexpensive solution (for you!) can be found, but I'm not too hopeful. Good luck!

Edited by ellie1145

That's a bummer. I can understand your frustration.

Short of spending a couple of unexpected days in Valparaiso, I'm not sure what other recourse you may have.

Look at it as an opportunity to visit Santiago for a couple days perhaps?

One-way flights from Arica to Santiago in Dec. range from $275 pp USD on Sky airlines and $450 on LAN airlines.

I have now received an "Emergency Notification" from Princess direct confirming that the cruise from LA to Valparaiso will be one day shorter, which I guess is going to upset and cause problems for passengers disembarking there. They also point-out the good news that my cruise - if I can get onto it - will be one day longer!

Princess says the change is due to port construction work in Valparaiso. This work does not seem to have affected Celebrity's ability to get the Infinity into port.

I do not think Princess is causing all this unhappiness through choice. I'm sure they could do without the problems. I'm just hoping they will offer me some acceptable alternative.

I have listed four possible scenarios for their consideration, but some will require them to persuade British Airways to change one of my unchangeable flights booked with miles.