Why don't they give you advance notice

sxphil

Just returned from the Jewel and they had several themed nights

i.e. 70's , White and of course formal nights

I have never noticed anywhere on my booking details where they even inform you of formal nights let alone theme nights

Am I missing this?

We had a couple on our table first timers who weren't even aware of the need to wear long pants/Trousers in the dinning room

Edited by sxphil

If you google 'dress codes on royal caribbean' their formal night page will come up in the search. You can look for more detailed info from there.

You could also ask the TA.

Why would people go on vacation and not think about what they might have to wear? I have no idea.

If you google 'dress codes on royal caribbean' their formal night page will come up in the search. You can look for more detailed info from there.

You could also ask the TA.

Why would people go on vacation and not think about what they might have to wear? I have no idea.

I think people are far less concerned with "dress code" nowadays. In the past people might have considered what was proper/required, but not so much any more. We only knew what was expected on our first cruise because we went with experienced cruisers.

We didn't know about cruise critic when we started cruising, but in the cruise packet had suggested attire, and other useful information.The one thing we didn't know was we didn't have to bring hangers.

Edited by reallyhooked

Can't help with the "theme' nights, but ALL of the other info is in the cruise brochure and /or your docs. Folks simply don't take the time to research anything. If you read the docs or the cruise brochure, the suggested dress code, tipping guidelines, etc...are ALL in there!

They do give some notice/guidance. For my upcoming cruise, P 17, in the “getting Ready – what to pack” section of the cruise docs, clearly notes the type of clothing one should pack. It speaks of casual wear such as swimsuits and shorts . There is a chart of cruise length, the type of specific dress codes for that length of cruise, and then suggestions of what fits in the categories.

You are correct in that there was never any mention of those theme nights in the cruise docs. Actually I thought they had done away with the theme nights.

As for CC – contrary to what we might think, very few passengers even read a message board.

enjoy

M

Yep but these guys hadn't even heard of Cruise Critic and didn't seem the type to research either

That shouldn't be too surprising as only about 5% of the total cruising population participate on CC. Which means the vast majority (95%) are not aware - or choose not to be a part - of CC.

I think people are far less concerned with "dress code" nowadays. In the past people might have considered what was proper/required, but not so much any more.

I think it is unusual. Even if you go to someone's house, don't you usually have an idea of what others will be wearing? Or a restaurant? And if not, don't you try to find out?

And I'm not talking about someone's weekend bbq or TGIF's.

Odd.

ps nothing to do with reading cc.com. It's just common sense.

Edited by marci22

I have never noticed anywhere on my booking details where they even inform you of formal nights let alone theme nights

Am I missing this?

We had a couple on our table first timers who weren't even aware of the need to wear long pants/Trousers in the dinning room

While I agree with you that it would be nice to have advance notice of the theme nights, everything else is pretty well on the RCI website. From the main page, there's a bar that says "Before You Board." It's right at the top and pretty hard to miss. Click on that and there's info on what to pack, what not to pack, how many formal nights there are, etc. etc. It always amazes me that people don't take at least a cursory look at the information that is available to them to help them get the most out of their cruise vacation. And then turn around and say after the fact (with a clueless look on their faces) "well I didn't know...no one told me..." :rolleyes:

Since the beginning of cruises, the "dress code" was listed on cruise documents, including "formal nights", casual nights and smart casual. It sometimes is sad that so many people today, just don't know that certain situations will have a dress code or dress expectations.

Theme nights, I find that people really don't "dress" for unless it is for the mystery theatre, and than, you paid for it, so it would be assumed, you have an idea what it is. The other events are just fun items to get people pumped for the night!

Yes you can do all the research you want but MOST people just book a Holiday

Last time we went to an all inclusive place in Spain we were advised in advance that longs trousers were required at dinner

Previous to this on my summer holiday I wouldn't have even packed long trousers

Its a simple thing to do when they have the itinerary include dresscode/theme nights perhaps there may be a better turnout

ALL IMHO of course

OP makes an excellent point. Sure if you click through the website you will find mention of formal night, but it is not right in your face. Could easily understand how new cruisers may not see it. I'm sure some percentage of guests "impulse" buy the trip and simply don't do as much research. Not the end of the world.

I can't find ANY mention of theme nights like white night, 70's night, etc. although they do have them onboard. I often hear comments from people that they wished they had clothing for that if they had known.

RCI doesn't need to bury it in a policy somewhere either, just part of their advertising is sufficient "Be a part of festivities like white night, 70's theme night, formal nights, etc."

My point exactly, the couple we had on our table felt a little out of place on the formal night as he didn't even have a tie

Didn't spoil the evening indeed it gave us a good laugh and by the 2nd formal night he had bought, borrowed or stolen a tie and I had rested the tux for a jacket

Would have loved to made an effort for the theme nights as some had done though

Edited by sxphil

Yes you can do all the research you want but MOST people just book a Holiday.

I'm guessing that most people will make this mistake once (just packing anything) and then it won't happen again.

People keep calling it 'research'. It's not research; it's basic planning.

Am I missing this?

On our first cruise, in 2004, we went with experienced cruises who advised us in advance of things to pack (formal wear etc). Then came our information packet in the mail with all the details, including our luggage tags etc. We read the packet from cover to cover.

Now most of the documents come to people online, and I believe most people never even read them....they flip through as minimally as possible to find what they feel are the most important things to know...and skip the rest.

Information is easily available, if a cruiser just looks. Our TA does let us know anything that they think is 'new' and that is nice and she is a doll for doing it....but as the cruiser, there are plenty of places to look for specifics if you want to.

And some people, go with their own plan for their vacation and sometimes only casual is what they want to do....and that should be fine as well. No one knows what their regular world is like, and maybe escaping from a 'dress code' is part of what vacationing to them is about. I don't judge, as long as they are clean. It won't affect my vacation, in the least.

Having cruised plenty I know there will generally be 'musical theme' parties (70's, 80's etc), but no special dress is required to have fun, anyway -- just show up!

I stand corrected, there is a blurb buried on the RCI web site

Theme Nights

Whether you prefer the '70s and '80s, toga parties or masquerade balls, take on a new look and time warp to a different era. Let loose with themed music and performances as our cruise staff ramps up the energy and gets the party started.

But no further information to click on regarding ships, actual themes, etc. It could be easier to find and include more actionable information.

I stand corrected, there is a blurb buried on the RCI web site

Theme Nights

Whether you prefer the '70s and '80s, toga parties or masquerade balls, take on a new look and time warp to a different era. Let loose with themed music and performances as our cruise staff ramps up the energy and gets the party started.

But no further information to click on regarding ships, actual themes, etc. It could be easier to find and include more actionable information.

Well, the toga party wouldn't need advance notice, just steal the sheets from your bed.

First two Royal cruises ten years ago: 2 formal out of 7, rest had themes like Caribbean, Western, etc..

There was no advance notice, but after two cruises I figured they did the same thing on all ships, so I went to a Western store and bought the gaudiest, loudest, most obnoxious Cowboy shirt I could find just to be in the spirit of things on my next cruise.

So, of course, next cruise has no theme nights; packing lightly I have one shirt for each night, and I wear the cowboy shirt to dinner. The waiters didn't say anything, some cruisers probably figured it was an old Theme night shirt, new cruisers probably thought I was strange:rolleyes:.

I find it hard to believe that a person goes on a vacation and has no idea what to pack. I agree that it is a common sense issue. If you don’t know and don’t know how to research it, call the travel agent, cruise line or even family/friends who have taken a similar trip. Can you imagine being on a European trip ( land or sea) and being denied entrance to churches or other sites because of inappropriate dress. ( shorts, too short skirt bare shoulders) an claiming ignorance?

As for a tie, you can pick one up at the $10 store on the ship.

M

I find it hard to believe that a person goes on a vacation and has no idea what to pack. I agree that it is a common sense issue. If you don’t know and don’t know how to research it, call the travel agent, cruise line or even family/friends who have taken a similar trip. Can you imagine being on a European trip ( land or sea) and being denied entrance to churches or other sites because of inappropriate dress. ( shorts, too short skirt bare shoulders) an claiming ignorance?

As for a tie, you can pick one up at the $10 store on the ship.

M

Exactly! Even if I had not read one item about cruising, when I took a look at the elegant dining room, the dress code would be obvious to me.. Some people expect to be spoon fed information.

I agree about the theme nights, there is no info readily available for those ... Since it was our first RCI cruise I had no idea about the white party, would've been nice to know so I can pack some white clothes lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Exactly! Even if I had not read one item about cruising, when I took a look at the elegant dining room, the dress code would be obvious to me.. Some people expect to be spoon fed information.

This is why this place really pisses me off when I get responses like that!

Looking at a dinning room doesn't tell me I need to wear 70's one night does it

Also I have stayed in many top class hotels and just because they are top class doesn't mean you have to dress up

I think it is unusual. Even if you go to someone's house, don't you usually have an idea of what others will be wearing? Or a restaurant? And if not, don't you try to find out?

And I'm not talking about someone's weekend bbq or TGIF's.

Odd.

ps nothing to do with reading cc.com. It's just common sense.

Well, I do (consider "dress code"), but many people we invite to our home for events or meet out or at an event do not. We host a holiday open house, which generally would not be a formal event, but one might expect nicer outfits, holiday sweaters, etc., and yet we often have people show up in flannel shirts, jeans, and work boots. Do I kick them out? Of course not. I'm interested in their company, and not what they are wearing. Whether they may have felt out of place next to the guy in a jacket and tie and his wife in a dressy outfit is their problem, and vice versa.

Certainly church is a prime example. When I was growing up, my parents insisted we wear dress pants, a collared shirt, and dress socks and shoes to church services, no matter the time of year (a short-sleeve dress shirt was okay in summer). We could never have worn jeans to church. But the last funeral I went to (in a church), there were a number of people very much dressed down.

We thought of "proper attire" as a mark of respect for a house of worship, or for our host and fellow guests at a social occasion. But that seems to no longer be the case as what is appropriate attire skews more and more casual.

Edited by CntPAcruiser