Why don't they give you advance notice

sxphil

If you google 'dress codes on royal caribbean' their formal night page will come up in the search. You can look for more detailed info from there.

You could also ask the TA.

Why would people go on vacation and not think about what they might have to wear? I have no idea.

I don't think this is the case of the OP. I agree with them about theme nights. If a person could know ahead of time about theme nights; white; 50s, etc then they could pack costumes for these nights to join in on the fun, if they wanted too.

Getting this information on Roll Calls isn't always an option because none of the Roll Calls I have been on every mentioned theme nights. And unless you know and are a seasoned cruiser a person might not even think of goggling something like "theme nights" ahead of time.

We thought of "proper attire" as a mark of respect for a house of worship, or for our host and fellow guests at a social occasion. But that seems to no longer be the case as what is appropriate attire skews more and more casual.

This isn't really a thread about proper attire / dress codes so much as it is about themed events that Royal hosts that they do a poor job communicating to guests even exists, thereby somewhat limiting participation. If you know about a white party or a 70's party you may choose to bring clothes for them. If you don't know...you wouldn't bring those clothes. Except for one tiny blurb that is not specific you wouldn't really get this information from the RCI site.

RCI could certainly improve their advertising of these themed parties.

This isn't really a thread about proper attire / dress codes so much as it is about themed events that Royal hosts that they do a poor job communicating to guests even exists, thereby somewhat limiting participation. If you know about a white party or a 70's party you may choose to bring clothes for them. If you don't know...you wouldn't bring those clothes. Except for one tiny blurb that is not specific you wouldn't really get this information from the RCI site.

RCI could certainly improve their advertising of these themed parties.

The original post mentions formal nights as well, and the conversation has meandered along the way. I was responding to a response to another post I responded to. :)

Formal nights are not a mystery. If you know anyone who has cruised in the past 50 years on any cruise line you know there is at least one formal night. Its like going to a Disney Park and being shocked there is a giant mouse walking around. You just know. And if you are just that clueless, you should have picked up a guidebook or hopped online.

I agree on the theme nights though. They really should advertise them. If you have read trip reports you know what themes to expect on your particular sailing, but if not it is a bit of a shock.

I have some friends who are going on RC for the first time and they had no clue about any themed nights or formal nights. I asked if they were getting dressed up for formal night and they both looked at me with shock. They still aren't bringing anything more than jeans, but at least now they know there are other options that night.

I think a lot of people book a vacation with no homework at all, especially a cruise, where all you really need is a passport and a credit card.

ever take a vacation to hawaii...what is formal to them...aloha shirts...depends who you are and where you come from..what im reading here seems to be alot of stuck up people who do not like people booking a vacation they way they would...

Formal nights and theme nights are two different, mutually exclusive themes.

Theme nights are things like 70's night, white party, toga party, etc. They are activities, not dining. There is of course no requirement to dress up and participate, but they hide these events so well that many people don't even know about them in the first place. Not saying they HAVE to dress up; or even that they should in order to participate, just if they know there is a 70's night, or a 50's night (as we had on our last cruise) people may want to dress for them and bring that sort of thing.

This is why this place really pisses me off when I get responses like that!

Looking at a dinning room doesn't tell me I need to wear 70's one night does it

Also I have stayed in many top class hotels and just because they are top class doesn't mean you have to dress up

You don't NEED to wear 70's attire, but you can if you want to. You have to remember that theme parties are planned by the CD, probably on a week to week basis. Do you think that each CD should send an email to corporate each week so that they can post it somewhere? Next thing you know, something gets mixed up and they then they get complaints " I packed a 70's outfit complete with platform shoes and there was a 50's party".

If people don't know where to look for info for dress codes in general, where exactly should they put info on theme parties, so that people can find it?

You don't NEED to wear 70's attire, but you can if you want to. You have to remember that theme parties are planned by the CD, probably on a week to week basis. Do you think that each CD should send an email to corporate each week so that they can post it somewhere? Next thing you know, something gets mixed up and they then they get complaints " I packed a 70's outfit complete with platform shoes and there was a 50's party".

If people don't know where to look for info for dress codes in general, where exactly should they put info on theme parties, so that people can find it?

This was never meant to be a thread regarding what you should do

I am a firm believer that if I want to dress down on formal night I WILL. However my point is that specifically with the theme nights having the chance to bring something to ACTIVELY join in. I loved the 70's and would have made an if effort IF I HAD KNOWN ABOUT IT

Didn't these people ever watch "The Love Boat" on TV?

All I ever learned about cruising I learned from "The Love Boat".

You and me Both ;)

Excuse my previous response I don't usually bite like that

If RCCL wants the theme nights to be successful, then it makes sense to alert cruisers to the theme. I don't think it's a huge deal to include that information online or in the cruise documents, somewhere.

On my recent cruise, hardly anyone wore all white on the "White Party" night and it looked like the only people dressed for the 70's party, was the crew.

That said, I have a hard enough time fitting the basics into my luggage - I wouldn't have room for platform shoes :)

It's been a long time since I've seen many people (or anyone, really) dressed for the theme nights, with the possible exception of Hot White Nights--and even then most people aren't wearing white. The staff dresses up; the passengers, not so much. I must admit we don't go to the theme night parties though, so maybe people dress up more for them.

I enjoy formal nights, but I'm not interested in dressing up for theme nights--just too many extra clothes to bring, plus I'd be the exception.

It's been a long time since I've seen many people (or anyone, really) dressed for the theme nights, with the possible exception of Hot White Nights--and even then most people aren't wearing white. The staff dresses up; the passengers, not so much. I must admit we don't go to the theme night parties though, so maybe people dress up more for them.

I enjoy formal nights, but I'm not interested in dressing up for theme nights--just too many extra clothes to bring, plus I'd be the exception.

We usually show up for the theme night parties....they're fun; the mood is set by the crew in costume and not being in costume/special dress doesn't have a negative impact on the fun I have, nor would I have more fun if I was dressed in the theme. The music and activities put everyone in the right mindset, if you are already there, to have a great time. The crew does a great job getting everyone that they can involved.

I agree in regards to the theme nights, they are not advertised at all, I guess it´s because those are at the descretion of the CD and they might or might not be held on a sailling. So they can´t easily include them in the cruise docs.

However all of my cruisedocs regardless of cruiseline had mentioned formal nights. This information is really readily and easy available to every single cruiser onboard.

The guys at the OP´s table Feeling uncoimfortable for not being dressed up have to blame theirselves for not reading their cruise docs.

Didn't these people ever watch "The Love Boat" on TV?

All I ever learned about cruising I learned from "The Love Boat".

The Love Boat is the reason I dreamed of cruising all my life!!!! The closer it got to my first cruise I was so scared it would not live up to my expectations so I found cruisecritic and read all I could!

Thanks to all the generous contributors I was well informed and LOVED my first cruise!!!

However, when I booked my first cruise I just booked it. I didn't know about formal nights or theme nights. I doubt I would have brought formal clothing. I would have brought pants because I was taught to be prepared for any weather. I am not one to dress up unless it is for a wedding and would not think about doing it on a nice relaxing vacation. I am glad I knew and glad I did but it was only because I read about it here. Not on my booking 'stuff.'

Not everyone 'plans' the same way. Like I said... I only started researching because I had very high expectations. Sometime vacation is just book and go and swing it when we get there. :)

Yes you can do all the research you want but MOST people just book a Holiday

Last time we went to an all inclusive place in Spain we were advised in advance that longs trousers were required at dinner

Previous to this on my summer holiday I wouldn't have even packed long trousers

Its a simple thing to do when they have the itinerary include dresscode/theme nights perhaps there may be a better turnout

ALL IMHO of course

YMMV (obviously) but I would never travel anywhere in the world and not pack at least one pair of Long trousers.

Just returned from the Jewel and they had several themed nights

i.e. 70's , White and of course formal nights

I have never noticed anywhere on my booking details where they even inform you of formal nights let alone theme nights

Am I missing this?

We had a couple on our table first timers who weren't even aware of the need to wear long pants/Trousers in the dinning room

The reason I commented on 'dress codes' was because of OP's original post, which seemed to emphasize that new cruisers didn't know about long pants in the MDR/formal nights.

It would be nice of RC to mention theme nights somewhere but I don't see how people would be inclined to look for theme nights if they're not even packing a pair of long pants for their trip.

My story: in the past we have packed for theme nights (red white and blue night, caribbean night, etc) and it has worked out well. On a cruise a couple of years ago, I had the kids and DH wear Hawaiian type shirts for Caribbean night. Unfortunately, DH was mad because everyone kept mistaking him for a waiter. Their shirts were very similar. It was so funny.

Since then we don't really do the theme nights. I agree that most people would not have room in their luggage to do it justice. There was a toga night on one of our cruises but they provided the sheets. ;)

Exactly! Even if I had not read one item about cruising, when I took a look at the elegant dining room, the dress code would be obvious to me.. Some people expect to be spoon fed information.

Can you put your nose up any higher?

Really...my wife and I were recently invited to dinner at a members only club. I had heard of the place and knew that it was considered one of the best restaraunts in the region and that the average ticket per person was...well lets just say I could typically eat out for a week.

We dressed to the nines as they say (wife even used it as an excuse to buy a new dress). We were the ONLY people (except for staff) that was not wearing business casual at the most. The couple at the table next to us were dressed down from that...she was wearing capris and he had on jeans and a pearl-snap western shirt to go with his old looking boots. I can assure up, the decor in that place made the MDR on most ships look like Chili's.

Can you put your nose up any higher?

Really...my wife and I were recently invited to dinner at a members only club. I had heard of the place and knew that it was considered one of the best restaraunts in the region and that the average ticket per person was...well lets just say I could typically eat out for a week.

We dressed to the nines as they say (wife even used it as an excuse to buy a new dress). We were the ONLY people (except for staff) that was not wearing business casual at the most. The couple at the table next to us were dressed down from that...she was wearing capris and he had on jeans and a pearl-snap western shirt to go with his old looking boots. I can assure up, the decor in that place made the MDR on most ships look like Chili's.

That's Texas though ;)

I think it is always helpful to inquire about the dress code before you go somewhere new. And I know there is not always a 'code' I'm just using that term for simplicity.

Downunder, maybe it's/we're a bit different, and because we have been on a couple of specific music themed cruises, we usually like to participate in some of the theme nights on 'regular' cruises. I agree that RC don't publish too much re theme nights on the cruises.

On our first ever cruise our TA gave us the heads up on the types of 'party' nights to expect - "usually they have a pool party night, a country & western night, a 70's night etc etc". Since then I usually email the good folks at the Sydney RC office and ask. They always answer back and here I show a typical reply ( this cruise last Oct was over the Halloween period, hence the specific reference to it in the reply):

Hello Mr. xxxxx,

Thank you for your enquiry. Because the ship reserves the right to make

itinerary changes up until the departure of the cruise we cannot provide

you with any set theme nights. On Halloween there will be a theme night

(usually a costume party) however as to any specifics, we are not aware of

any. Here is a list of the other general themes that are regularly done on

our cruises.

· 50's & 60's Party

· 70's Party

· Tropical Pool Party (Weather Permitting)

· Black and White Ball, Big Band Night

· Country Night

Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require anything further.

Kind regards

xxxxxxx

Cruise Administration

Royal Caribbean Cruises Australia

========================================

Now luggage considerations may restrict what 'special theme' stuff you can take, but you can cover a few possibilities fairly easily. Also note that this was a 14N cruise, so plenty of time to have theme nights. A lot of people did dress up for the nights - Halloween was huge.

Happy cruising.