Cut backs on Elite Breakfast (Coffee Break)

CruisingChick

Ships are returning to the US from abroad, and are undergoing USPH inspections. Perhaps something turned up at previous inspections that caused the line to seek ways of serving the food at the Captain's Club Coffee Break that are more in line with USPH regulations.

I know that in cases of Level 1, 2, 3 precautions (formerly called Code Red), there is no self-serve and someone is stationed at the buffet areas to serve each passenger. It is a slow process, and this method of serving would by-pass that.

I'm picturing a three-tiered serving piece often seen at teas, and as such, I think many will find it "classier" than the buffet set up. I have often seen people complain about serve-yourself options, as being somehow less sophisticated than table service, and also have seen many cases of people serving themselves in ways that are sometimes less-than-hygienic. So for both of those reasons, I think that the new way of service might be better.

HOWEVER, I also see the potential for lots of wasted food. If a tray of food is put on my table and I don't want it, wouldn't they be forced to throw it out?

AND, I have a personal problem with the set up as described. I'm allergic to fish. I can picture a plate with the salmon touching the meat and cheese. This would contaminate everything for me, and I would not be able to eat anything on that plate. Now, perhaps I can request a plate with no fish, but I would frankly worry that the plates are made up in the kitchen and all that would happen is that they would take the fish off the plate before giving it to me, which would be very problematic. I can see the same occurring for those who are allergic to strawberries, or pineapple.

So, while the new way might be more appealing to some, it would be less appealing to others. I will be interested to read reactions from other cruisers.

I'll just wait and see how it plays out. We are on the Solstice next week, so we might learn something.

At the moment it is all speculation, but this kind of thing does lend itself to some discussion, which I think is fair.

For my part, I don't really care whether it is buffet service, or whether the food is presented to each table on tiered servers, though I would think there would definitely be more waste that way. And logistically speaking, do they provide one tiered server for two people, and two tiered servers for four people, or how will they handle the different sized tables? Although it sounds quite gracious, it just seems so much more labour-intensive, and fraught with so many more potential problems, that it makes me wonder what the goal would be in instituting this practice.

My biggest concern would be, if the new type of service isn't well handled, that the attendance at the Elite breakfasts would drop off, as it apparently has done on Gail's cruise. It seems a fair speculation that the natural follow-through to low attendance would be the cancellation of the Elite breakfasts.

My other concern, if the Elite breakfasts were cancelled, would be the additional pressure on Café Al Bacio at a time in the morning when it is already very busy. I know that's where I will be going for my morning latte and almond croissant if the Elite breakfast folds. :)

I particularly enjoy the Elite breakfast because after a day or two, I always see a familiar face when I arrive, and people are always so welcoming. I've gotten to know some wonderful people through having the opportunity to chat in the Elite lounge, and some of those people have become friends. This has been one of the most welcome, but most unexpected benefits of cruising.

Under perks we are told we will get a "access to a Coffeehouse Style Breakfast".

Now I'm not exactly sure what the definition of "a coffeehouse style breakfast" is, but it is disappointing that something we have come to enjoy is being, in effect, taken away. Yes they are perks and Celebrity has the right to change them if they want but this is very disappointing.

It was an enjoyable atmosphere where you could sit relax, talk to others without all the noise of the crowded buffet or the MDR and get to know other members. Also the Captain's Club Host(ess) was usually always there to talk to members.

This is a post from Wine-O on the Constellation Transatlantic: Post #16

"There are around 1700 Captain's Club members, 140 Elite Plus, and 450 (around) Elites. So I am told. :rolleyes:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2032653

How could going elbow to elbow with 600 people lend itself to "an enjoyable atmosphere where you could sit relax"?

This is a post from Wine-O on the Constellation Transatlantic: Post #16

"There are around 1700 Captain's Club members, 140 Elite Plus, and 450 (around) Elites. So I am told. :rolleyes:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2032653

How could going elbow to elbow with 600 people lend itself to "an enjoyable atmosphere where you could sit relax"?

We have been on several cruises with 6-700 elites and there has never been a problem with the elite breakfast.

We have been on several cruises with 6-700 elites and there has never been a problem with the elite breakfast.

So then it would seem that since there has not been a crowd problem, the bulk of the Elete members have already voted by not coming, if a smaller venue will handle thoes that do.

Not saying it is right, wrong, good, or bad, agreeing or disagreeing. Just looking in from the outside and seeing something the larger number of the group does not use.

Once again, it's the same venue and food, just served differently. It is never used by a great number of people because it is not a full breakfast. Most people eat in their cabins or at the buffet. It's just a convenience for some.

Seems like there will be more waste. Food served that isn't eaten would have to be discarded, wouldn't it? They couldn't take the platters to a different table, and so someone who wants only a croissant and passes on the meat,cheese, fruit would end up with that much food thrown away and I don't see how this could be any saving

I was thinking the same thing about wasted food.

Just because one cruiser didn't like the experience, doesn't mean everyone else will not like it. Wait until you experience it and then if you don't like it, then you can complain, but why complain before you try it. Totally unbelievable!

We won't miss it. Went once, too much pastry, minimal fruit & found people that day were more interested in getting a "free" drink than manners. One guy actually came over to our table, tugged at the server's sleeve and demand he get him is drink. No please, no excuse me to us or server. Certainly not a way to start the day.

Never found a reason to go back.

interestingly, no-one has mentioned the delightful almond croissants!!!! that is a highlight for me, along with my double expressos.

I really hope it hasn't changed too much, I have always enjoyed the quiet yet friendly ambiance, along with the CC host to chat with.

We are going on the Summit, May 11th so I will be happy to report back - actually we were supposed to have been on the repositioning (have done it quite a few times) but work schedules interfered this year!

Yes! Almond croissants. I suspect they weren't on the trays. You can get them at Cova/Baccio, but it was nice to enjoy them at the Elite Breakfast while having a chance to chat with others.

I too see a problem with waste with a selection being brought to my table. I'm only there for the almond croissants and a mocha and fresh OJ. Others are only there for bagels & lox. Anything else would be wasted. Seems to me buffet style works better--people just take what they want.

We loved going. We would always get smoothies, yogurt and fresh fruit, juice, lattes for my DH and cappuccinos for myself. I would also get chocolate croissants and my DH would get his bagels, cream cheese, smoked salmon, some of the assorted meats.

Seems like it would be much more work to have the servers going back and forth each time some one needed and extra bagel, juice, etc. then just having them replenish the trays.

Edited by CruisingChick

There is not need to panic yet. This is just one poster on one ship reporting what they had. No one knows if it is fleet wide until we get reports from other ships. Coming to the table for you to choose your food is no worse than standing in line when we had noro o/b and have the waiter get your food for you. Or waiting in line to serve yourself when it is crowed.

There is not need to panic yet. This is just one poster on one ship reporting what they had. No one knows if it is fleet wide until we get reports from other ships. Coming to the table for you to choose your food is no worse than standing in line when we had noro o/b and have the waiter get your food for you. Or waiting in line to serve yourself when it is crowed.

If you read Tuggers first post I linked to she did say that they said it was Fleet Wide.

Breakfast in the Elite area took a turn. We were greeted by no buffet, no juices or smoothies that you served yourself, in fact no food at all. We took seats and the waiters began to bring a 3 tier tray to each table. Top was meats and cheeses (VERY little lox, 1 portion of cream cheese, one little circle of onion, and a couple of slices of other meat and cheese). Second tray was fruit, primarily a pineapple, cantaloupe and honey dew wedges(none of which were ripe), a half grapefruit and a few blue berries and raspberries. Third tray was breads and Danish including 1 mini bagel. Everyone just sort of sat there, looking at this thing. Most stayed and picked at the food, a few had coffee and Mimosa’s and left. We are told this is fleet wide. Hands down the most in demand item on the buffet was the Lox, cream cheese and bagels. With not even enough to fill one mini bagel it was kind of weird. Surely they know what is first gone every morning.

On the Summit I walked past the VIP Lounge (Michael's Place) almost every day and it looked dark and depressing (and mostly empty). I would much rather have breakfast in my cabin or on deck in Sunset Bar. Even if they were serving unlimited caviar.

So if they gave you more lox, cream cheese and another bagel it would be ok?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

No, I don't even eat the bagel and smoked salmon, but my husband always has at least 2 every morning.

Where are the smoothies, yogurt, chocolate croissants, almond croissants? Not to mention all the fresh fruit they put out, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, watermelon, etc.

Seems more labor intensive to have servers going back and forth to serve individuals at tables than just having them replenish the buffet table. The only thing they served in the past were the specialty coffees, mimosas, bloody marys.

Not complaining just said it seems more labor intensive. We know they have cut staff, so how would that help for them to have more work?

We've been on a few Elite intensive cruises on the Century where getting a Bloody Mary could be challenging. It does seem like it would take a lot more people to keep the service level up.

Just like every other business --(not government) When the belt needs to be tightened, the first thing to go is staff.

So if they gave you more lox, cream cheese and another bagel it would be ok?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Sorry CruisingChick:( I guess I should have quoted Tugger's post as I was trying to respond to her comment that the portions were small.

Currently on Solstice. We have 2 buffet areas at the Elite breakfast. One has the smoothies, juices and some fruit (oranges and Kiwis) The other has the meat, cheeses, more fruit (melon today and watermelon and berries) and the lox makings. Lots of salmon and all the fixins. This AM we saw a small dish of blueberries and one of raspberries. Saw one guy come along and upend the dish of raspberries so 2/3 of them went on his plate.:eek:. I guess he thought he was the only one on the ship. I hope what Tuggers reported is not fleet wide. I will be interested in what you find Elena.

Off topic.....There is now a charge for Zumba. No one signed up for the class yesterday, but we were in Maui so that might have been the reason!

Currently on Solstice. We have 2 buffet areas at the Elite breakfast. One has the smoothies, juices and some fruit (oranges and Kiwis) The other has the meat, cheeses, more fruit (melon today and watermelon and berries) and the lox makings. Lots of salmon and all the fixins. This AM we saw a small dish of blueberries and one of raspberries. Saw one guy come along and upend the dish of raspberries so 2/3 of them went on his plate.:eek:. I guess he thought he was the only one on the ship. I hope what Tuggers reported is not fleet wide. I will be interested in what you find Elena.

Off topic.....There is now a charge for Zumba. No one signed up for the class yesterday, but we were in Maui so that might have been the reason!

Thank you so much for posting. Enjoy your cruise.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app