incident in giovannis specialty resturant this week

Day 2 it was formal night and i had reservations ,everyone was wearing suits and dresses in the restaurant, then a couple come in and the guy is wearing a sleeveless shirt, i thought of wow how awkward he must feel , he was asked to change and put something more suitable on , he comes back with a sports team activity type shirt on that was tight on him. lol

i just did the face palm.

Day 2 it was formal night and i had reservations ,everyone was wearing suits and dresses in the restaurant, then a couple come in and the guy is wearing a sleeveless shirt, i thought of wow how awkward he must feel , he was asked to change and put something more suitable on , he comes back with a sports team activity type shirt on that was tight on him. lol

Incident? I wouldn't have even noticed what other people are wearing.

Incident? I wouldn't have even noticed what other people are wearing.

well it was hard not to notice as he was wearing a sleeveless shirt and shorts and everyone else was wearing suits and dresses. i didnt mind i only felt bad for him as it must have felt awkward and a little embarrassing as he was asked by the restaurant manager to go change.

One time, my DH was the only customer in a busy restaurant wearing a suit.

He was not embarrassed.

Perhaps, the man you saw in Giovanni was retired young in South Florida with no need for a suit.

Penny

Edited by PinotBlanc

The "I can wear anything" crowd makes a non-stop effort to thump anyone that might consider even the faintest of dress code when dining.

funny as i see so many posters leaning toward under dressing . funny thing was on this last cruise 95% was dressed up for formal nights and dressed nicely for dinner every night. I was surprised because the many posts here suggested most want to dress down.

so i was glad i went with what i like to do and was dressed appropriately for all dinners and shows.

He was not embarrassed.

Perhaps, the man you saw in Giovanni was retired young in South Florida with no need for a suit.

Penny

im sure he has a need for a shirt with sleeves. lol i dont think they or anyone would look if he had a polo and khaki pants on at least. i dont think everyone is comfortable in a suit. i get that.

I think part of the problem is everyone on the boards make such a fuss about formal nights and makes a point to tell people to stay out of the dining room and suggest "alternatives" as an option. Giovanni's is an alternative restaurant and is usually considered a more casual venue. I agree a sleevless shirt might not be a great choice but it certainly wouldn't have made a difference to us.

I think part of the problem is everyone on the boards make such a fuss about formal nights and makes a point to tell people to stay out of the dining room and suggest "alternatives" as an option. Giovanni's is an alternative restaurant and is usually considered a more casual venue. I agree a sleevless shirt might not be a great choice but it certainly wouldn't have made a difference to us.

if this was the case the manager would not have asked him to change.

but as i said i felt bad for him but at the same time, why is it so hard to put on a polo or dress shirt and khakis / slacks? if its money ,one can find them cheap at a goodwill.

Well I'm going to say I'm currently on Adventure on her 14 night TA and have visited Giovanni's on 3 occasions. The venue, food and ambiance is fantastic. The clientele have dressed IMHO appropriately and that is not in sleeveless shirts, shorts or sandals.

That type of dress is not appropriate for this type of venue. Sorry if you don't agree, but to me someone not dressed appropriately in a smaller more intimate venue does impact my enjoyment, especially when I'm paying a supplement for the more refined dining experience.

He was not embarrassed.

Penny

No excuse IMHO

Obviously not everyone tells people to dress up. If everyone did, there wouldn't be so much discussion.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

There have been numerous occasions where I felt my husband and I are over dressed at an event on both cruises and land based events. I always felt uncomfortable until my husband said, " we look better than everyone else in the room. " I no longer feel awkward. Better to be overdressed than underdressed. :)

if this was the case the manager would not have asked him to change.

but as i said i felt bad for him but at the same time, why is it so hard to put on a polo or dress shirt and khakis / slacks? if its money ,one can find them cheap at a goodwill.

Royal caribbean's own website describes it as casual. Sleeveless is pushing the definition, but requiring a suit is stretching it a bit too. When I read incident, I thought there would have been an incident. :confused::rolleyes:

well it was hard not to notice as he was wearing a sleeveless shirt and shorts and everyone else was wearing suits and dresses. i didnt mind i only felt bad for him as it must have felt awkward and a little embarrassing as he was asked by the restaurant manager to go change.

OMG..do you mean a wife beater shirt?? If so, I would think EVERYone in the room would notice. That's quite a nice restaurant and yes I agree, folks should read their cruise compass to see what is expected on attire. It's not rocket science. Yes, I'm one of those people that do notice. Sorry folks....

:p

OMG..do you mean a wife beater shirt?? If so, I would think EVERYone in the room would notice. That's quite a nice restaurant and yes I agree, folks should read their cruise compass to see what is expected on attire. It's not rocket science. Yes, I'm one of those people that do notice. Sorry folks....

I was picturing something more like what Larry the Cable Guy wears but maybe you're correct though. :confused:

it wasnt a wife beater but like a dry fit sleeveless shirt, with under arm hair sticking out and it was bright orange to boot. lol

now for those who are saying it was ok but pushing it, remember he was asked to change so clearly it is not ok nor "pushing it", it was not allowed period.

Edited by Harooni

I haven't read this whole thread but I can tell you that my DH has been turned away from the Windjammer for wearing a sleeveless shirt - not even a tank top so I think for some reason that is something maybe they enforce more than anything else. Speaking of the Windjammer and dress codes a friend of mine was on the Navigator last week. She and her friend went for lunch in bathing suits and cover ups. The cover ups were pretty much identical except hers had three quarter sleeves and her friend's was sleeveless. She was turned away for not being appropriately dressed while her friend was let in. She went to the cabin and changed but she was not a happy camper.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I haven't read this whole thread but I can tell you that my DH has been turned away from the Windjammer for wearing a sleeveless shirt - not even a tank top so I think for some reason that is something maybe they enforce more than anything else. Speaking of the Windjammer and dress codes a friend of mine was on the Navigator last week. She and her friend went for lunch in bathing suits and cover ups. The cover ups were pretty much identical except hers had three quarter sleeves and her friend's was sleeveless. She was turned away for not being appropriately dressed while her friend was let in. She went to the cabin and changed but she was not a happy camper.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

i think the problem is exposed under arms. lol they do not like it being seen while dining. RC does enforce this, I saw a few times this week.

My guess is that the man did not feel awkward at all. Seems RCI is quite picky about sleeveless shirts on men. If the man have been wearing a T-shirt, shorts, and his sport cap on backwards he would've been just fine. It's the sleeveless shirt that got him in trouble.

Go figure

I do agree with many other posters. I certainly would not label the post "an incident".I thought something bad had happened to a passenger. I am happy to learn it was just an issue of dress.

I hope you enjoyed your cruise.

M