Lack of electrical outlets in bathroom?

Just back from 5 days on LOS in a GS - maybe I'm going crazy, I looked all over the bathroom and couldn't find an outlet other than the "Razor Only" outlet. Why are there no outlets in the bathroom? Is it this way in all the cabins? We were in a balcony cabin 4 years ago and I can't remember how it was in there.

I know there is a big vanity area with two outlets, but it's right near the bed. It would be great to have outlets in the bathroom! Is there a reason they don't put any in there?

I specifically looked last week on the Jewel as I thought I read on CC you could use the razor outlet as an outlet but not the case! I have never found any outlets besides the 2 in the desk area.

Never seen anything but a razor outlet in the bathroom of any ship we've sailed

I assume with the tight space and a lot of water, they don't want to encourage the use of electrical items in that space.

Never seen anything but a razor outlet in the bathroom of any ship we've sailed

I assume with the tight space and a lot of water, they don't want to encourage the use of electrical items in that space.

This has been our experience as well.

No outlets in the bathroom in any RC ship I have sailed. It is probably a safety issue.

Jane I agree with the safety issue and, I believe that is why either side on the mirror are the small shelve tiers next to the closet!

No outlets on BOS and I believe the same reason the hair dryer in the top drawer!

I've even tried to plug in a nightlight in the shaver outlet, and failed. I understand the safety issue in having me plug in a blowdryer or heat styling tool in there, but I'd love to be able to use a nightlight.

As others have stated it would be a safety issue. When you have an electrical outlet within x feet of water it must be protected by a GFCI receptacle. (That would also be why the light switch is on the outside and not inside the bathroom). I'm not 100% certain but I have read on here that the voltage on the ships fluctuates which may cause a GFCI circuit to not operate properly.

I've even tried to plug in a nightlight in the shaver outlet, and failed. I understand the safety issue in having me plug in a blowdryer or heat styling tool in there, but I'd love to be able to use a nightlight.

We take a small, battery powered Flameless Candle for our nightlight. It actually works on a timer, turning off hours later and turning itself back on at the same time the following night.

And.....romantic too!

You want to buy this (never seen it in a 2-pack, hence that link as I have bought 2 singles). It operates (seemingly forever) on a 9-volt battery. It's motion activated and bright enough to see without being blinding in the middle of the night. (For the record, it does become annoying if your cat figures out how it works and likes to play with it during the night.) I've also bought them at Bed, Bath & Beyond and seen them on an endcap in either Giant Food or Harris Teeter.

http://smile.amazon.com/Harvest-54251-Mighty-Light-Pack/dp/B009438AWO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1399080840&sr=8-2&keywords=mighty+light

Edited by KarinaGW

You want to buy this (never seen it in a 2-pack, hence that link as I have bought 2 singles). It operates (seemingly forever) on a 9-volt battery. It's motion activated and bright enough to see without being blinding in the middle of the night. (For the record, it does become annoying if your cat figures out how it works and likes to play with it during the night.) I've also bought them at Bed, Bath & Beyond and seen them on an endcap in either Giant Food or Harris Teeter.

http://smile.amazon.com/Harvest-54251-Mighty-Light-Pack/dp/B009438AWO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1399080840&sr=8-2&keywords=mighty+light

What great ideas! We have struggled with the night light issue too but off the Allure in March. Pleased to say that the bathroom has an automatic night light in the ceiling! It was perfect!!

Edited by pinkroses

What great ideas! We have struggled with the night light issue too but off the Allure in March. Pleased to say that the bathroom has an automatic night light in the ceiling! It was perfect!!
FWIW, the Celebrity Constellation also had a nice night light feature in the bathroom

We brought a Belkin surge suppressor-3 outlets+2 USB ports. You can get them at Amazon.com. With a Kindle, a Nook, and other devices, it is great!

We charge our readers on the USB ports.

I think these are supposed to be confiscated when they scan your luggage. Perhaps they just missed yours.

this is the first time I've heard of this. going on Oasis in May, would love to know if they have them also.

I always bring a night light, even for a hotel room in the bathroom. I've done the battery operated candles on the ship in the bathroom for lighting during the night.

I just plug a night lite in the plug at the desk..

You aren't supposed to be able to have surge protector strips? I haven't sailed on RCI in several years, but the cruise line I have sailed on never blinked an eye about the strips. Looking at a family trip on Oasis class, so researching.

I think these are supposed to be confiscated when they scan your luggage. Perhaps they just missed yours.

I know power strips are a potential no-no...probably because there are so many cheap-ass variations that it's impossible to tell which are genuinely safe and which are potential fire hazards. I know of no one (including myself...5 cruises now) who has had the Belkin (which is not an on/off device with a cord) confiscated.

Edited by KarinaGW

this is the first time I've heard of this. going on Oasis in May, would love to know if they have them also.

I always bring a night light, even for a hotel room in the bathroom. I've done the battery operated candles on the ship in the bathroom for lighting during the night.

Just off of the Oasis last month, the night lights are in the cabins

I´ve been on ten different lines and there have been no outlets other than the one for shavers. It´s as others stated a safety issue with outlets and water nearby.

Wouldn´t have done you any good anyway, as the shaver outlet only works when the light in the bathroom is on.;)

I think it is indeed a safety issue and the "razor-only" outlet allows only a certain amount of current.

I did a bridge tour on Oasis and the officer doing the tour was really excited about the security console being able to detect current draws from cabin bathrooms, which trigger alerts on the bridge.

Oasis%20Security.jpg?psid=1

The Belkins are a small unit, about the size of a Snickers bar. They are not prohibited, and are not confiscated. As stated, they are used as USB chargers as well as adding a couple extra plug spots.

As others have stated it would be a safety issue. When you have an electrical outlet within x feet of water it must be protected by a GFCI receptacle. (That would also be why the light switch is on the outside and not inside the bathroom). I'm not 100% certain but I have read on here that the voltage on the ships fluctuates which may cause a GFCI circuit to not operate properly.

That explanation makes sense - thank you.