Guess The Next Promotion Name !!

curtdesilets

Neither do the Celebrity promos. They don't apply if you book an inside cabin. I feel very discriminated against. We love inside cabins. Why should we not be able to take advantage of PYP or 123 Go, etc. just because we want an inside cabin.

It's not discrimination. It's marketing.

They offer the promos as an incentive for people to book a higher priced cabin. Like you, I usually book an inside cabin so I also don't get to take advantage of these offers.

For my most recent cruise it was cheaper for me to book an inside cabin and pay for our drink packages vs. booking an oceanview to get the free drink package.

While the above promotions don't apply to inside cabins there are still ways to get additional OBC. Next cruise certificates and early booking bonuses can be applied to inside cabins so we just take advantage of these :)

Edited by lovemylab

It's not discrimination. It's marketing.

They offer the promos as an incentive for people to book a higher priced cabin. Like you, I usually book an inside cabin so I also don't get to take advantage of these offers.

For my most recent cruise it was cheaper for me to book an inside cabin and pay for our drink packages vs. booking an oceanview to get the free drink package.

I know it's not discrimination, but I couldn't help myself.....

In what we save on booking an inside cabin (usually after final payment) more than makes up for any perk they could offer us booking an ocean view stateroom or above cabin.

You may want to recheck your numbers. I did look at every cruise, but I recall if you took the OBC option it was a greater amount than the discount.

I did check the numbers. And checked again. Because I was dumbfounded. I couldn't believe they were making such an offer.

I'd be all over it too, but my guess is no.

Makes me think Celebrity is trying to pull those in that do not understand finance and the value of a dollar right now vs. in the future. "YAY - free money!" that, of course, the passengers actually paid for....

X the promos.

X the complexity.

We know that there is a cost for every "free" deal

Set a competitive price and offer deals on the extras.

Why offer an OBC when the price of the cruise could be deuced by that amount?

If people wish a good deal on a beverage package, don't add that "free" perk to the cost of everyone else's fare.

As Brits, we would just like the same offers as US, e.g. RCI's buy one get 2nd 50% offer doesn't apply to us! Not only that, Celebrity and RCI (plus other cruise lines) wont let us book through US TA or even access their US websites so we can't check the offers or dropped rates.

IMHO: In many cases the"promotions" are really smoke screens that make people feel asif they're getting something for nothing. Since the end of "Pick Your Perk" one of my cruises has come down in price. However, if I factor in my "perk"the price is almost exactly as what I spent. I lose my perk if I cancel and rebook at the lower price. A complete wash.

To answer the OPs question, the next promotion might be: WE will Pick Your Perk".

"We will tell you what we will give you so you don't have to worry about a choice".

How about " We Put You On Hold Until You Try Booking On Our Web Site"

"Make you crazy!"

I agree, I am sick of these constant "deals" and goofy pricing moves. Offering me a cruise for $1899 with $200 OBC or for $1699 with no OBC? What? Does Celebrity think we're stupid?

Don't answer that .;)

I think they should call it "Pick Your Pocket". Much as I love Celebrity, they have really got people fooled into thinking they're getting a deal. One example. I have a C1 cabin on the 14 October sailing of Equinox for 2799 total per person including taxes and fees, a $300 ship board credit and paid gratuities. Today I can get the same category with the take two promotion for 4446 per person with no on board credit or paid gratuities. What a great deal.:eek:

IMHO: In many cases the"promotions" are really smoke screens that make people feel asif they're getting something for nothing. Since the end of "Pick Your Perk" one of my cruises has come down in price. However, if I factor in my "perk"the price is almost exactly as what I spent. I lose my perk if I cancel and rebook at the lower price. A complete wash.

I keep seeing people posting this line of thought. For what it's worth my next upcoming cruise is as of today $450 per couple more, for one category down, than what I paid for it months ago, and I got the drink package, for 14 nights.

So it's not a "one size fits all" scenario.

I'd be all over it too, but my guess is no.

Hi Linda:

Celebrity did offer a "buy one, get the second one at half price" sale about two years ago. I had friends booked on a Med cruise and they saved a bunch of money when they re-fared their cruise.

There wasn't a lot of fanfare around the promotion, and I don't think it lasted for a long time. I also don't think there were any beverage promotions available at the time, to complicate matters.

With the Pick your Perk promo I was not able to combine with military discount. Since we don't drink & I was already getting gratuities from my TA the OBC was a wash without the military discount. Not much of an incentive. Now I noticed that the military discount is off for the cruise that I am watching. Very disappointing. :mad:

I think they should call it "Pick Your Pocket". Much as I love Celebrity, they have really got people fooled into thinking they're getting a deal. One example. I have a C1 cabin on the 14 October sailing of Equinox for 2799 total per person including taxes and fees, a $300 ship board credit and paid gratuities. Today I can get the same category with the take two promotion for 4446 per person with no on board credit or paid gratuities. What a great deal.:eek:

So very well said and explained!:)

Edited by Lastdance

X the promos.

X the complexity.

We know that there is a cost for every "free" deal

Set a competitive price and offer deals on the extras.

Why offer an OBC when the price of the cruise could be deuced by that amount?

If people wish a good deal on a beverage package, don't add that "free" perk to the cost of everyone else's fare.

Amen to that!!!

I keep seeing people posting this line of thought. For what it's worth my next upcoming cruise is as of today $450 per couple more, for one category down, than what I paid for it months ago, and I got the drink package, for 14 nights.

So it's not a "one size fits all" scenario.

I agree. I have got the drink package twice now and have only seen the same cabin for $100 less per person after the promotion. That was only for 1 week and then it was more expensive than I paid with the package. If you get it right the promos do work for you.

I did check the numbers. And checked again. Because I was dumbfounded. I couldn't believe they were making such an offer.

Obviously it is not the same for all cruises. I checked mine and a few others. The offer of the discount of $300 showed one price. The offer for the OBC of $300 had a price that was not $300 more than the discounted price making the OBC a better deal assuming you need the OBC. 1/18/15 cruise on Eclipse.

Which cruise are you referencing?

It sure is challenging trying to keep it straight and it will be more difficult to get price reductions. Which is probably the strategy.

Let's go back to basic cruising. Low price. Then you pick and pay for any options that you want.

Or go for the all inclusive theme. Include everything....drinks, tips, excursions, spa, transfers, air, etc.

I have taken both types of cruises. Celebrity is really just trying to make future cruisers think that they are getting a freebie. Nothing is really free. Pay now,pay later...you always pay.

The Summit cruise out of San Juan for the last 3 years never goes down in price, except for inside rooms after final payment. Some cruises are last minute bargains. It pays to know the history of the cruises you are interested in sailing. For the third year we will be sailing the Summit in Feb 2015. We booked last Dec, didn't even wait for the on board booking bonus since we booked with an additional 25 Captain Club points and the beverage package and I knew the price would only go up ( it has). Usually for our second cruise we book last minute deals. Just came back from RCI Vision of the Seas 4 night cruise for a great price we booked only a few weeks ago. I book my cruises for what I can afford and then enjoy them knowing some may go down in price but some may go up. It ll evens out.

Happy Cruiser, I'm going to cross my fingers and my toes that X gives that promo a shot. I'm just so over RCI. Last cruise I ended up eating in the buffet several nights because the service was so slow in the MDR. I will say their entertainment beats X but for me that's about all. :)