Changes since our last cruise

Billthekid

Just finished a 21 day Caribbean Cruise on the Masdam. Our previous cruise was a 22 day Med Cruise on the Nordam. I know I am not comparing apples and oranges, but I did observe numerous changes in every day life onboard both ships. On the Masdam they do have days of the week in the elevators which is always a conversation started. No Desert extravaganza. The ship had several Caribbean buffet on the Lido deck. Both time we tried it, the food was cold and no one was testing the various food trays for proper temperature. No disembark presentation. Receive a note in the "mail" with instructions. So no crewmembers singing "Love in Any Language". What was done was the last night they had a international night and the parade of the workers who sang some song in their native language. Captains reception on a casual dress night at 7:45PM which means late sitters only had a few minutes to see the Captain before rushing off to dinner. New uniforms for the dinning room staff. See attached. Not bad looking. Signature store, no discounts except for full price items with HAL embroidery. The logo discount is not applicable although logo items is listed as a benefit. No fresh squeeze orange juice. Since it was almost a year since our last cruise, many of the things I mentioned may have already been presented in the forum. So don't say we knew that before.

1677973604_cruise216.jpg.3a9e42abb298797ba4274394460fdb0a.jpg

Edited by Billthekid

Is that photo of a dining supervisor?

That isn't a dining steward, is it?

That's a dining steward. I didn't photograph them but the assistant stewards have white jackets closed at the top with no ties.

Billthekid, the disembarkation talk was discontinued around last August. I don't remember the song sung at the end of the cruise before the end of the World Cruise last week.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd

Surprised to hear about no fresh orange juice. That has been a HAL signature item and we had it on the Amsterdam last month. Is this something we can expect in future cruises on all HAL ships?

I'm surprised that there was no fresh squeezed OJ. I was on the Maasdam from April 11 to April 22 and we had fresh squeezed every morning.

They had it on the westy too. In 2012 on the NA they had a very watered down version of it so I wonder if it varies by ship.

Is the 'No freshly squeezed orange juice' one of the things we have to adjust to?

I have always had freshly squeezed orange juice on my cruises. There have been several threads about it here, and usually the "proof" that it's not freshly squeezed is that the juice is watery and separated. I take those comments with a grain of salt, as freshly squeezed juice will separate and become watery if allowed to sit for a few minutes.

In short, there may be some debate as to whether there is freshly squeezed juice or not. But I have always found it on my cruises, including the one I took this past October.

I will say that I have never gotten freshly squeezed orange juice using room service breakfast. My experience is that you MUST to go to Lido to get it.

I think most people are bright enough to understand the difference between separated and watered down juice:rolleyes:. No amount of stirring the juice would have fixed it. Just because one has not experienced something it doesn't make it false. I don't do the lido unless forced and I have had fresh squeezed in the MDR. You do not have to go to the lido to get it.

I'm surprised that there was no fresh squeezed OJ. I was on the Maasdam from April 11 to April 22 and we had fresh squeezed every morning.

and the cruise before - we got off when you got on.

and yes, we know the difference between watered down and the real thing.

I do fresh squeezed oj on occasion for DH :D

on the Maasdam from Jan 17 to Mar 28 we had fresh squeezed orange juice ... we also had regular orange juice ... had to be careful as they did not put it out in the same place each day. signage was good ... at the Lido. The few times we ordered room service for breakfast we got the fresh squeezed juice.

Do you remember the frozen OJ.... from years ago....Minute Maid?

Made with frozen concentrate. OK.... can't beat 'REAL' OJ... like from Sunkist.

No excuse for watering down real juice. I'd rather Minute Maid!

Billthekid,

Thanks for your comments.

What menu is the person in the photo holding?

The menu was the desert menu for regular lunch in MDR.

I see comments about fresh squeeze Orange Juice being regularly available on various cruises. They may have a juice machine in the kitchen, but they did not have a orange juice squeezer machine on the Lido Line at Breakfast time on our Masdam cruise.

I have always had freshly squeezed orange juice on my cruises. There have been several threads about it here, and usually the "proof" that it's not freshly squeezed is that the juice is watery and separated. I take those comments with a grain of salt, as freshly squeezed juice will separate and become watery if allowed to sit for a few minutes.

In short, there may be some debate as to whether there is freshly squeezed juice or not. But I have always found it on my cruises, including the one I took this past October.

I will say that I have never gotten freshly squeezed orange juice using room service breakfast. My experience is that you MUST to go to Lido to get it.

IMHO fresh-squeezed orange juice is one more thing in what appears to be a growing list of "things that are inconsistent from ship to ship" on HAL.

I believe the people who report they got fresh squeezed OJ. I also believe the ones who report that it was not available.