New "class" system on Celebrity

FL1stLady

<Snip> You need more butlers, where do you get them from? You get them from your room steward pool, i believe. So what happens when more room stewards become butlers to the suite guests? You have less room stewards to cater to the same number of steerage passengers (to use someone else's term) <Snip>

They didn't make more suites! These are existing suites which already had butlers:confused: Why would we lose room stewards?

You have pointed out a major cause of recent changes.

The 4 guys in A cappella, the String Quartets/Trios, the Activities Staff, the Drink servers in the dining room and probably coming soon... oops, disappearing soon, the Sommeliers. All of these people are taking up a limited number of crew/staff cabins that are being re-allocated to other crew members.

Their roles are being re-assigned; the on board experience of those who did not enjoy any of these wonderful staff members will say.. doesn't affect my cruise.. but the whole "ambience" will have changed in the name of "Modern Luxury" which has no room for staff providing traditional luxury experienced by long time X cruisers.

Thank you for your honesty and extremely valid post.

Rogueperson, have you seen the Haven concept on the NCL ships. Looks like they cater quite nicely to their suite passengers also. In fact I'm thinking of doing it. Imagine a ship within a ship concept.
It appears that the Haven on NCL is exactly what some here desire , a haven away from commoners.

If that's what Celebrity future plans entail ,I'm sure their suite sales will be brisk.

If so they will likely end up with lots of unsold non-suites resulting in severe discounts like NCL.

The next to go will be decent MDR meals. There will however be lots of wonderful new dining options .

Bring your Sea Pass. :(

Rogueperson, have you seen the Haven concept on the NCL ships. Looks like they cater quite nicely to their suite passengers also. In fact I'm thinking of doing it. Imagine a ship within a ship concept.

I've seen it. I have outdated experience with NCL. I haven't been on their ship since before they rolled out freestyle.

The Haven concept is what worries me. It looks amazing, but the question remains. When you have that kind of preferential treatment, are you taking away more limited resources to provide a higher class experience at the expense of the general population?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

<Snip> You need more butlers, where do you get them from? You get them from your room steward pool, i believe. So what happens when more room stewards become butlers to the suite guests? You have less room stewards to cater to the same number of steerage passengers (to use someone else's term) <Snip>

They didn't make more suites! These are existing suites which already had butlers:confused: Why would we lose room stewards?

The point is limited resources. If suites require higher maintenance, than Normal rooms, they draw from the same pool. The general population risks losing their service to upkeep a higher standard on the suite side. The staff on these ships work long hours already. Im fairly certain they are maxed at it is now.

This is nothing more than some grasping at straws to try and make a point. As you stated they are not adding additional suites. Business as usual and much ado about nothing other than the "woe is me" crowd.

I've seen it. I have outdated experience with NCL. I haven't been on their ship since before they rolled out freestyle.

The Haven concept is what worries me. It looks amazing, but the question remains. When you have that kind of preferential treatment, are you taking away more limited resources to provide a higher class experience at the expense of the general population?

If cruise critic is any indication, there is far less complaining about service on NCL. I also cruise NCL, in a penthouse which is not part of the Haven on the ships I've been on, and to be honest, their service is exceptional. This last cruise, I did eat in the MDR (other cruise I only ate in specialty restaurants), the food was not as good as Celebritys, but the service was very good and very attentive. Room steward service was exceptional, as was the bartenders, etc. If I didn't already know about The Haven, I wouldn't have even known that it was on board the ship.

With Celebrity, yes they will take some servers, but I'm sure it is the same number that would be serving these guest as well. They won't need any addtional cabin stewards, as they are already cleaning these rooms. The only thing that they probably took, as far as staff (and we don't know if they actually took existing staff or are new positions), is two or three folks to manage Michael's Club. So I don't see any services being taken away from the general population. I think a lot is being made out of nothing.

If you're willing and able to pay more, you should get more. Like everything else, a cruise vacation has evolved. Cruise lines view most activities as profit centers now, with few activities included with the cruise fare. Witness the arrival of RCL's "Dynamic Dining."

MDR eliminated in favor of many speciality restaurants. They will be free at first, but I'm sure RCL will begin to charge for the popular ones. In the future, food will no longer be included in cruise fare. Other cruise lines will follow. My point? Cruise lines have to remain competitive and profitable. Create value added products, like a luxury cabin, exclusive dining and clubs, etc, and hope people are willing to pay extra for the experience.

Problem will be when folks do pay more and get a vacation and services not in line their expectations. Like a previous poster pointed out...there is only so many staff on the ship. On past cruises, I recognize staff serving breakfast and lunch, serving me dinner in the specialty restaurant later that night. Not to say they cannot do a good job, but they get stretched pretty thin. No matter what cabin you choose, we all get the same basic cruise, and a modern beautiful ship.

I've traveled all over the world, met many good people in distant lands, who could only dream of ever going on a vacation. By lottery of birth, they are stuck with lives of toil amounting to little. We get to live the dream.

This could be a valid argument, I'm not sure what the corporate office has in mind as no Suite Restaurant is in service at the present time and Equinox will have the first one, if I understand the news releases from Celebrity. But what about Aqua Class and it's separate restaurant Blu? Doesn't that take away from the same general pool? I don't see a lot of people complaining about Blu and it's services causing an affect on the MDR or Buffet.

Edited by wv4891

This could be a valid argument, but what about Aqua Class and it's separate restaurant Blu. Doesn't that take away from the same general pool? I don't see a lot of people complaining about Blu and it's services.
Also, don't the servers for the Elite/Elite+ cocktail party take away from the same general pool?

This could be a valid argument, I'm not sure what the corporate office has in mind as no Suite Restaurant is in service at the present time and Equinox will have the first one, if I understand the news releases from Celebrity. But what about Aqua Class and it's separate restaurant Blu? Doesn't that take away from the same general pool? I don't see a lot of people complaining about Blu and it's services causing an affect on the MDR or Buffet.

Part of it is that Blu was initially designed into the S class ships so there was no impact of a change their. On the M Class they take a fairly substantial section out of the second floor of the main dining room. The changes to the M-class has occurred over time and was pretty much in parallel with the growing popularity of Select Dining. So the impact may have been masked to some degree by those changes.

I have not been on an M class for a couple of years, but some friends of mine have and they indicated that their experiences with Select Dining was not as smooth as on the S Class ships.

Now are the M Class ships following the same practice as the S Class and putting Select Dining on one floor and Traditional on the other or is having Blu take up a major section on the second floor causing them to mix the two?

If they are following the practice then which is on which floor? Whatever one is on the second floor (I would suspect Select) would be limited in size after the Blu implementation then prior. In which case the impact would be on non-Blu Select diners.

As far as the Suite area goes:

The issue now is that no one knows how it will be implemented. How much space they lock up. How many seats they take out of the Traditional or Select parts of the dining room. Will it impact the availability of seats (fewer being able to select one or the other and being forced into a more they don't want) or in the quality of service (fewer Select seats and longer wait times).

Currently on the S class they will over flow traditional into the Select dining floor, usually in the back area, behind the wall about 2/3 of the way into the dining room.

If they can do a good implementation then the issues concerning the dining room will go away quickly. Any service issues after implementation will have the opposite impact.

Thanks to Project_Gal, NHL Arizona and Crusingator2 for your voices of reason.

My family group of 5 spans four generations, includes my 85 year old MIL on what she says will be her last foreign trip to the Baltics. My DH wants his mother to be treated like a Queen and we have booked two adjoining RS. She is getting very excited even though it is more than a year away (she doesn't know about the RS) and already shopping for new formals. I don't want to disappoint her. Do hope the hairdressers are good on board!!

You're welcome! And, do not worry, your MIL with have a wonderful time.

We took my [then] 80 year old mother on an Alaskan cruise on NCL Sun. She did not have a suite but we booked a small one so that the whole family group [6 aged 8 to 80 but only 3 generations] could gather together. On NCL the whole group were allowed many of the suite privileges and she had a wonderful time.

Personally, NCL is not for us and we love the Celebrity product but, in the past, the suite experience did not match up to that provided by NCL. However, since the beginning of this year we have noticed a distinct difference in how we are treated by Celebrity - and we have not been on a cruise yet this year! From this and what we have read on these boards, we are anticipating an exceptional experience once we are on board. At 86 [the age my mother is now], I am sure that your MIL is going to be wowed.

The hairdressers on board have always been wonderful but, if your MIL wants her hair done for formal night. be sure to make your booking early. I would suggest that, when the suite concierge contacts you pre-cruise as people are reporting here, you request the appointments you need. One of the new suite perks ...

I enjoy Bistro on 5 because it is quiet and never full. Key word....Never full. This venue is underused and for the money it costs to staff and provision I heard that this will become the new suite dining area after a kitchen refit.

Wherever it will be....It will be another service for the people who are paying more. With Money...you get honey.

Cheers!

I enjoy Bistro on 5 because it is quiet and never full. Key word....Never full. This venue is underused and for the money it costs to staff and provision I heard that this will become the new suite dining area after a kitchen refit.

Wherever it will be....It will be another service for the people who are paying more. With Money...you get honey.

Cheers!

Your source is wrong. Bo5 is not going.

We've sailed NCL three times, all in suites/Haven. Made lots of friends not in suites/Haven and they never complained about less service. Nor were they concerned about our "preferential treatment".

I think all these concerns about "preferential treatment" is because of change and lack of detailed knowledge. I suspect that as time passes and as more official details are released, this topic will die down as people come to realize it won't impact their current sailing experience,

If they are following the practice then which is on which floor? Whatever one is on the second floor (I would suspect Select) would be limited in size after the Blu implementation then prior. In which case the impact would be on non-Blu Select diners.

As far as the Suite area goes:

The issue now is that no one knows how it will be implemented. How much space they lock up. How many seats they take out of the Traditional or Select parts of the dining room. Will it impact the availability of seats (fewer being able to select one or the other and being forced into a more they don't want) or in the quality of service (fewer Select seats and longer wait times).

The celebrity Official FAQ and common questions article specifically states the new suite dinig rooms being built in a brand new space (not taking over an existing space) near the MDR on Port side of ship, deck 5 on M and deck 4 on S class. So sounds like it IS NOT displacing any of the select dining space.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Flyers/14037410_CEL_Suites_FAQs.pdf

I got a very last minute deal to sail Summit to Bermuda this Sunday.

I'm in Aqua Class and not a suite, so will be able to now finally experience the awful "classism" everyone talks about, and all those spaces that are now private and closed off to all but those in a suite I can no longer enjoy. And the complete lack of service due to the shift of all the staff to tending to the suites. What on earth am I thinking....?!?!

So I'll have an apples to apples comparison to see how much it changes my view of the suites experience.

Cheers!

The new suite restaurant will not be Bistro on 5, so you will still be able to enjoy it.

You have pointed out a major cause of recent changes.

The 4 guys in A cappella, the String Quartets/Trios, the Activities Staff, the Drink servers in the dining room and probably coming soon... oops, disappearing soon, the Sommeliers. All of these people are taking up a limited number of crew/staff cabins that are being re-allocated to other crew members.

Their roles are being re-assigned; the on board experience of those who did not enjoy any of these wonderful staff members will say.. doesn't affect my cruise.. but the whole "ambience" will have changed in the name of "Modern Luxury" which has no room for staff providing traditional luxury experienced by long time X cruisers.

Thank you for clearly articulating what so many people were worried about .

It's not the amenities afforded to suites that worry people (they DO pay a lot more and deserve to get something for their money) , it's the finity of cabin space for staff and thus the necessary cutting of people in other areas to make cabin space for those just available to suite passengers.

It's not the amenities afforded to suites that worry people (they DO pay a lot more and deserve to get something for their money) , it's the finity of cabin space for staff and thus the necessary cutting of people in other areas to , make cabin space for those just available to suite passengers.

Well, if you think about it. Many have come on here and said that the staff has been cut drastically (I totally disagree) and if that is true, there had to be a lot of crew cabin space freed up at that time, so possibly these new suite crew will fill those cabins.

To be honest, I only feel that there will be maybe two or three new crew assigned to suite passengers and that would be in Michael's Club. With regard to cabin stewards, they are already cleaning the cabins. The crew they put in the new suite restaurant are probably already serving those suite passengers in the MDR, so no need for more crew. The suite area doesn't have any additional amenities like a pool, bar, etc., like they do on other cruise lines suite areas, so no more staff needed there. So there is really no need for extra crew cabins for them.

It's not the amenities afforded to suites that worry people (they DO pay a lot more and deserve to get something for their money) , it's the finity of cabin space for staff and thus the necessary cutting of people in other areas to make cabin space for those just available to suite passengers.

But according to many, there must be many empty staff cabins already today as all the cutes all along the way already in staff....so they have space for more crew to come back right?

To be honest, I only feel that there will be maybe two or three new crew assigned to suite passengers and that would be in Michael's Club.

I don't even know about michaels club needing additional staff. Already had a bartender, still one there, maybe there used to be more than one so now fewer staff in there? And the dedicated concierge. Thats all the staff in there other than an occasional runner to pick up used dishware and place the food displays out. And bartender seems to do that while on duty.

I don't even know about michaels club needing additional staff. Already had a bartender, still one there, maybe there used to be more than one so now fewer staff in there? And the dedicated concierge. Thats all the staff in there other than an occasional runner to pick up used dishware and place the food displays out. And bartender seems to do that while on duty.

I was think because it is open 24/7, they would need two of each, thus needing additional 2 or 3 in there.

I was think because it is open 24/7, they would need two of each, thus needing additional 2 or 3 in there.

Hmm, never noticed if bartender is in there full time or not...seems odd there would be human there at 4 am... but maybe.

Concierge has specific desk hours, and a dedicated phone number to call. Seems to staff their desk maybe 4-6 hours a day in the afternoons. And i don't do breakfast, so have no comment on how it works at breakfast time.

Edited by cle-guy

I don't believe that extra space is needed just for Suite changes. A dedicated chef for the new restaurant is one example but there are also more people in future sales and destination concierge for another.

Celebrity is evolving and making changes to attract passengers from all walks of life.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with providing an enhanced experience for people who are willing to pay for it while still attracting the traditional demographic who enjoy the rest of the ship. We have always considered Celebrity a classy cruise line. A class system? I'm proud to sail Celebrity Class: that's why we come back again and again and again. It's our seaside condo after all, a cut above all the rest. (well most of them)