New "class" system on Celebrity

FL1stLady

I agree. We left Celebrity for a couple of years to enjoy NCL's Haven. While we were in the Haven, everything was great. But when we left the Haven, we really missed some of the elements from Celebrity. As soon as I read that Celebrity was playing catchup with the other lines in enhancing the suite experience, we went ahead and booked three cruises with them for 2015/2026.

Welcome back!

I believe this "class system" is customer driven . It comes from the wishes of those that wish to spend

big and believe that a large high end cabin and other perks are not enough.

They also want exclusive public non-public spots.

Cruise lines are very willing to cater to these desires. Yes we are going back to a "class system" on board

but I believe it comes from the desires of these customers wishing to enjoy exclusive areas.

I dislike it but can't really blame the cruise lines. I equate it to gated communities.

Would you blame the builders for peoples desires to live in exclusive restricted areas ?

Would you blame them for satisfying these desires ?

I understand your point of view. I "somewhat" agree. However, I don't think it is so much a class system, or a want to display wealth to others, etc. but that at a certain cost of a vacation people are going to look at some serious alternatives, and for the high costs many of them will not involve crowding around a ship with 2000-3000 other guests.

Therefore these ship within a ship areas, these enclaves (especially MSC Divina, NCL Haven areas, to an extent Princess Sanctuary) all exclusive pay for areas that replicate a much quieter, relaxed experience with far fewer guests than there really are. I doubt it is exclusivity in and of itself being the main driver, and privacy and relaxation being a big drivers.

Now, I do lament the lack of public spaces where sometimes 25% of open deck space is lost to 1%-5% of paying guests, meaning those NOT able to use the space are packed into a disproportionately smaller area.

RCI ships are definitely LESS in your face regarding venues. DL and CL (Diamond/Concierge) Lounges are out of the way and nearly totally obscured. Even the retrofits have not claimed much public spaces. They integrate much more nicely and do not jar like a prevalent venue permanently being off limits. RCI also do not limit any open deck areas fore or aft, providing merely a roped off small sun deck area away from prime action pool areas for suite guests/gold card holders. It's all very low key.

Even the roped off suite section in the theater is not prime locations. It is simply reserved seating so suite guests can get a seat at a busy show. Even those seats are released back to general audience about 5 mins before a show.

I don't blame Celebrity for catering to the money, I just see it a bit differently. I understand OP's original comments and agree with some of them to an extent as well.

I'm concerned about what appears to be a class system beginning on Celebrity. In this age, I'm really surprised that this is tolerated. Am I out of line?

FL1stLady: I find it ironic that you pick a screen name that suggests that you might like a class system and then question about status on a Celebrity ship.

Many ships have a designated lounge for suite cruisers. Spa facilities if paid for. Many ships have designated pools or venues for adults and for children and alcoves for extra $$.

If people want to pay for exclusive treatment they get the perks they can afford.

I find it puzzling that people don't object to paying extra for special amenities.

The cruise lines are following the lead of the airlines where everything besides your travel is extra such as baggage fees, early boarding, food on the flight, and even overhead space for carry-on bags.

This will not make a more enjoyable travel experience for the vast majority of travelers. If the trend continues they will lose customers. Unlike airlines where people absolutely have to use them for quick or long distance travel, people who cruise have other options.

I find all this talk of a class system to be silly. Life is a class system - from the schools you attend, the clubs you join, the class of seat on an airplane, the neighborhood you live in or the car you drive. Some of it is spoken and at other times just inferred. The VERY wealthy are not on a Celebrity cruise - they travel by private jet and have a yacht either by owning or charter. The wealthy that travel on X aren't interested in taking anything away from the rest of the passengers as I doubt they give it a thought, but they are people who are accustomed to a certain level of service, pampering and privacy. I say stop complaining about what others are getting (paying for) and enjoy your own experience. :D

On our latest cruise I noticed that Michael Clubs now is open just for suite guests. I never- on 13 days - saw anyone there... If that isn't a under used area I dont know what is.... :rolleyes:

Would someone please clarify for me exactly which public spaces will no longer be available to the non-suite pax?

Thankx.

Michael's Club will be a private suite/Zenith lounge, this club really wasn't used much. They will carve out a piece of or near the main dining room for a "suite" restaurant, one could say that this space is where these passengers would have eaten anyway. And apparently, there will be a sun area with loungers from one of the top decks. I don't feel that any of these areas will be missed, at least not by me. I believe that if these areas were for Elite, Elite+, in addition to Zenith and Suite passengers there would not be the same negative issues with regard to taking the space from non-suite passengers, actually they would be lauded.

Michael's Club will be a private suite/Zenith lounge, this club really wasn't used much. They will carve out a piece of or near the main dining room for a "suite" restaurant, one could say that this space is where these passengers would have eaten anyway. And apparently, there will be a sun area with loungers from one of the top decks. I don't feel that any of these areas will be missed, at least not by me. I believe that if these areas were for Elite, Elite+, in addition to Zenith and Suite passengers there would not be the same negative issues with regard to taking the space from non-suite passengers, actually they would be lauded.

This is news to me, can you point me to more information on this planned suite perk?

It specifically says no sun deck in the most definitive information piece I've found.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Flyers/14037410_CEL_Suites_FAQs.pdf

All else is probably just rumor, speculation or mistake.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Edited by need2bespoiled

This is news to me, can you point me to more information on this planned suite perk?

Someone posted it on here, I'll try to find the post. Hopefully, it was just not a rumor. If it is a rumor, Celebrity might take not, it would be a fantastic perk.

We have sailed RCI and Celebrity. I don't ever recall having any issues about a class system.

So have I, and I've cruised in everything from Oceanviews up to full suites and never felt I was cruising in a different class than everyone else. I don't equate perks to class. If perks equated to class, Captain's Club members should petition to have the loyalty program abolished.

It specifically says no sun deck in the most definitive information piece I've found.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Flyers/14037410_CEL_Suites_FAQs.pdf

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Thanks for this. I find it hilarious they have actually had to answer the question "what color will the sea pass card be". LOL.

Thanks for this. I find it hilarious they have actually had to answer the question "what color will the sea pass card be". LOL.

:)

I want purple. Like royalty ;) Gray is so blah, I mean shouldn't gray be for steerage? :rolleyes:

Happy Sailing,

Jenna

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Thanks Jenna, I know I read it on here, maybe someone's wishful thinking. Thanks for the clarification. And I would vote for purple key cards as well....very royal!

Edited by NLH Arizona

This has nothing to do with a class system. It's business theory. Sorry if this is long - lot to say after reading this very interesting thread.

Pricing for a business is crucial - one of the most important choices it can make. Price too high and people don't buy. Price too low and you leave profit on the table. Like it or not, businesses are in it for a profit and if they don't get it one way, they'll figure out a different way.

Pricing theory says that everyone has a max price they're willing to pay for a good/service. Everyone's is different. You can't price at the highest a single person is willing to pay, because you won't get any other takers. But when you price at a single level that gets the most income, you're leaving a lot of money on the table, as there are people who would have been willing to pay more than you're charging them.

So the solution is to offer things that will get the people who are willing to pay more to do so. So businesses offer all sorts of varying levels and perks - the budget conscious will go bare-bones and the not-so-budget conscious will go for the higher end, if they see the added value.

That's the purpose of all the classes of cabins and suites and add-ons on cruise ships. But people need to see the value of what they're paying more for. Personally, I was on a Sky Suite last year on Celebrity and a few months later on a balcony on Carnival (friend's wedding). My takeaway: Celebrity as a ship/company was MUCH better. But the room itself wasn't significantly better between a sky suite and a regular balcony room. Our butler was awesome, but we didn't have him do anything a room steward wouldn't do. So when we just booked another Celebrity cruise, we didn't see the added value for a sky suite over a verandah. There isn't enough difference to justify an additional $3000/cabin. So we chose verandah over suite.

Celebrity is probably finding that other people, who would be willing to pay more, are either paying less or going to other cruise lines where they see the added value in a suite. They're leaving profit on the table and so they need to find ways to make suites valuable to those willing to pay for them. Of course they need to do so without tons of added expense. So things like extra perks and benefits make sense.

The ships can't change significantly - so they need to find existing space that they can convert to give the suites these perks. A club that is rarely used seems like the logical place. Maybe after they've done this for a while and see how it works, then they'll reconfigure existing ships or incorporate floorplans in new ships so that the suite exclusives are out of the way.

But this is probably still a theory for them and they aren't ready to go through all of that expense yet. That's a practice that's frequently used in business - test your theory quickly using your available resources and without sinking a lot of money into it and see the reaction and then decide if it's worth investing resources for a more permanent (expensive) solution.

Edited by ScarlettMLB

Someone posted it on here, I'll try to find the post. Hopefully, it was just not a rumor. If it is a rumor, Celebrity might take not, it would be a fantastic perk.

I am the person that posted the news of the sun deck. I listened to a podcast on a website Avid Cruiser in which Ralph Grizzle interviewed Dondra Ritzenthaler a Senior VP at Celebrity and the topic was " Celebrity Suite Class" (it is still available). In that interview, Ms Ritzenthaler clearly states that there will be reserved sun deck seating for Suite Class. Given the seniority of Ms Ritzenthaler, I assumed that it was not rumour and did put a post on Cruise Critic which for some unknown reason was subsequently deleted. It is therefore interesting that the recent FAQ on Suite Class specifically excludes this.

This has nothing to do with a class system. It's business theory. Sorry if this is long - lot to say after reading this very interesting thread.

Pricing for a business is crucial - one of the most important choices it can make. Price too high and people don't buy. Price too low and you leave profit on the table. Like it or not, businesses are in it for a profit and if they don't get it one way, they'll figure out a different way.

Pricing theory says that everyone has a max price they're willing to pay for a good/service. Everyone's is different. You can't price at the highest a single person is willing to pay, because you won't get any other takers. But when you price at a single level that gets the most income, you're leaving a lot of money on the table, as there are people who would have been willing to pay more than you're charging them.

So the solution is to offer things that will get the people who are willing to pay more to do so. So businesses offer all sorts of varying levels and perks - the budget conscious will go bare-bones and the not-so-budget conscious will go for the higher end, if they see the added value.

That's the purpose of all the classes of cabins and suites and add-ons on cruise ships. But people need to see the value of what they're paying more for. Personally, I was on a Sky Suite last year on Celebrity and a few months later on a balcony on Carnival (friend's wedding). My takeaway: Celebrity as a ship/company was MUCH better. But the room itself wasn't significantly better between a sky suite and a regular balcony room. Our butler was awesome, but we didn't have him do anything a room steward wouldn't do. So when we just booked another Celebrity cruise, we didn't see the added value for a sky suite over a verandah. There isn't enough difference to justify an additional $3000/cabin. So we chose verandah over suite.

Celebrity is probably finding that other people, who would be willing to pay more, are either paying less or going to other cruise lines where they see the added value in a suite. They're leaving profit on the table and so they need to find ways to make suites valuable to those willing to pay for them. Of course they need to do so without tons of added expense. So things like extra perks and benefits make sense.

The ships can't change significantly - so they need to find existing space that they can convert to give the suites these perks. A club that is rarely used seems like the logical place. Maybe after they've done this for a while and see how it works, then they'll reconfigure existing ships or incorporate floorplans in new ships so that the suite exclusives are out of the way.

But this is probably still a theory for them and they aren't ready to go through all of that expense yet. That's a practice that's frequently used in business - test your theory quickly using your available resources and without sinking a lot of money into it and see the reaction and then decide if it's worth investing resources for a more permanent (expensive) solution.

Very well said.

I am the person that posted the news of the sun deck. I listened to a podcast on a website Avid Cruiser in which Ralph Grizzle interviewed Dondra Ritzenthaler a Senior VP at Celebrity and the topic was " Celebrity Suite Class" (it is still available). In that interview, Ms Ritzenthaler clearly states that there will be reserved sun deck seating for Suite Class. Given the seniority of Ms Ritzenthaler, I assumed that it was not rumour and did put a post on Cruise Critic which for some unknown reason was subsequently deleted. It is therefore interesting that the recent FAQ on Suite Class specifically excludes this.

Thanks for letting me know; I was beginning to think I was starting to have senior moments LOL!

BTW, I think it is a fantastic idea!

Edited by NLH Arizona

It's easier to delete a post and put out company info to a contrary point of view than to have an edit made to an audio interview maintained by a third part organization.

I listened to that podcast and don't specifically recall hearing the part about the sun deck, but it's probably true that Dondra said it, unintentionally or otherwise. I'm guessing this was a slip up on the part of Celebrity.

My personal view is that this perk could be added easily and would be a positive step. There is a precedent with this on RCI, so why not roll it out to all the ships in the other company fleets.

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network

Edited by vulcan1971

BTW, I think it is a fantastic idea!

I think it SOUNDS good, but honestly, if you have an awesome suite, you also have an awesome oversized veranda with private loungers and a butler waiting to serve you....I choose the veranda. :D And if a royal or better, you have your own tiny private pool as well LOL. The Celebrity suite and Sky suites have 'indoor pools" or jetted tubs :p

NO need to take that other space from other cruisers.... not that it really gets that much use being so far from the bar staff and pool anyway.

I think it SOUNDS good, but honestly, if you have an awesome suite, you also have an awesome oversized veranda with private loungers and a butler waiting to serve you....I choose the veranda. :D And if a royal or better, you have your own tiny private pool as well LOL. The Celebrity suite and Sky suites have 'indoor pools" or jetted tubs :p

NO need to take that other space from other cruisers.... not that it really gets that much use being so far from the bar staff and pool anyway.

I think it just depends on what someone wants. I would be more apt to use a more private sunning area, as long as there was a bar/staff there. Kind of like the Haven areas on NCL. They have a courtyard with private pool, hot tub and bar (not that Celebrity is going to this extreme). In the Haven they have a number of staff members who can get them drinks, food, etc. It is also great for families. I like choices and this would give passengers another choice in what kind of service/amenities they want; if they want to be out in the public areas they can, but if they want to be in a more private setting, they have that choice as well.

You're absolutely right.

Last time in an RS the sun was on the wrong side of the ship for us but the butler got the captain to turn the ship around so that our balcony was good to catch some rays. ;)