New "class" system on Celebrity

FL1stLady

[quote name='Aquahound']Nope. It's May. The Quebecers have gone home. Peace and quiet has been restored.

;)[/quote]

I'm sure there are tourists from all over North America getting drunk on Duval street. Just because the ones speaking French are different is not a reason to be prejudice.

Replace Quebecers with 'New Yorkers' and you'd have many angry people.
Replace Quebecers with 'tourists' and your comment is fine.

[quote name='keithm']Really! It's only small parts of the ships that are reserved for suite pax. It's the same on Cunard. You really want to see exclusion try the Big NCL ships where the entire top of the ship is reserved for the villas.[/QUOTE]

And what is wrong with that?

At least on the NCL ships, the design was smart enough when designing the ship to create an amazing space for ALL customers in the public areas while discretely tucking away the private spaces used by suite passengers. The private areas are not in your face like the are on Royal Caribbean.

Again, this is not restricted from anyone, unless you choose to not to pay for it.

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network Edited by vulcan1971

I'm okay with the divisions by cabin, loyalty tier, and for special groups;
but, I think Celebrity needs more public space to accommodate all passengers.

When I have an inside, ocean view, or midship balcony cabin, I need access to indoor public space with a view such as Sky Lounge.

Michaels doesn't appeal to me, but DH likes to entertain friends in Michaels for quiet conversation in a clubby atmosphere. Ensemble Lounge is okay. Martini Bar crowded.

-Marisa Edited by USVI-4-me

[quote name='USVI-4-me']I'm okay with the divisions by cabin, loyalty tier, and for special groups;
but, I think Celebrity needs more public space to accommodate all passengers.

When I have an inside, ocean view, or midship balcony cabin, I need access to indoor public space with a view such as Sky Lounge.

Michaels doesn't appeal to me, but DH likes to entertain friends in Michaels for quiet conversation in a clubby atmosphere. Ensemble Lounge is okay. Martini Bar crowded.

-Marisa[/QUOTE]

On the Reflection last Nov the Sky Lounge was quieter than a funeral home Chappell during a viewing! The only times before 10 pm anyone was there was during a Capt Club or Cruise Critic function.

We have been lucky enough to travel on NCL, RCCL and Celebrity in a Suite and Haven.

I agree with previous poster that NCL did it right as they designed the ship with the haven as part of it. They then used cages for Breakfast and Lunch which was not open normally so they did not "take away" anything. We tended to use have for times when we want quite but also spent tons of time at pool / buffet etc... So not really fare to say this is a Class thing.

That said, we just sailed on Equinox in suite and used Michaels ckub, but was disappointed as I was looking forward to the club as it was prior (craft beers and good whiskey) so in this case I agree with OP that they took something away from the ship. Also no one was ever in there and it was a shame as they had 3 people working there and they were extremely bored.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Forums mobile app

We have been lucky enough to travel on NCL, RCCL and Celebrity in a Suite and Haven.

I agree with previous poster that NCL did it right as they designed the ship with the haven as part of it. They then used cages for Breakfast and Lunch which was not open normally so they did not "take away" anything. We tended to use have for times when we want quite but also spent tons of time at pool / buffet etc... So not really fare to say this is a Class thing.

That said, we just sailed on Equinox in suite and used Michaels ckub, but was disappointed as I was looking forward to the club as it was prior (craft beers and good whiskey) so in this case I agree with OP that they took something away from the ship. Also no one was ever in there and it was a shame as they had 3 people working there and they were extremely bored.

The change to Michael's Club is just rolling out across the fleet and there are suite passengers that may not fully understand their benefits in full.

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network

Edited by vulcan1971

This is the bottom line, the things that were offered in Michaels were moved to a different venue, but not 'taken away' from anyone. Someone wants craft beer and good whiskey, they can still get it. The 3 people working would have been more than glad to go fetch something.

At least we now know where the staff that was taken from the now understaffed areas has gone.:(

Edited by chamima

As I understand pmcue's post, he mentioned that Michaels was empty and had three bored people working there before it was transferred to a suite lounge. I have been on two cruises with S class ships and it was empty, too. And as my DH likes beer he was a little disappointed since they did not have all the beers on the menue. Michaels was a waste of space for most pax. Without the conversion to a lounge discussed that much on CC, I probably would not even recognize it. Will see on our next cruise. I'm sure everyone can find another quiet place to chat.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by Maverine

As I understand pmcue's post, he mentioned that Michaels was empty and had three bored people working there before it was transferred to a suite lounge. I have been on two cruises with S class ships and it was empty, too. And as my DH likes beer he was a little disappointed since they did not have all the beers on the menue. Michaels was a waste of space for most pax. Without the conversion to a lounge discussed that much on CC, I probably would not even recognize it. Will see on our next cruise. I'm sure everyone can find another quiet place to chat.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Read it again - he sailed after the change, was in a suite and still didn't like it!

Can I ask, as a suite customer are the private lounges a real benefit for you, or is it the extra space in a nice cabin you like? I'd love the extra room, but when I'm out and about at night I'm looking for the lively venues, so I imagine private lounges with a limited number of customers would be less fun - but I don't know. Just thought I'd ask :)

And what is the limit ?

I understand those life-boats are kinda crowded .

Based on your logic , shouldn't the upper class have better more luxurious boats ?

All boats would be equally seaworthy (at least initially) but perhaps they should have a concierge to get to the boat faster and safer.

After all they paid more

Oh is this silly ? So this is a bridge too far . It's hard to tell what is too much based on the arguments of some.

What about increased security on board ? How about that. Should suite quests have the right to better safety.

After all they paid more .

What about childrens programs. God forbid these perfect children mix with the "others".

After all they paid more .

and on and on

As long as they provide a lifeboat to everyone (and it's getting silly with "seaworthy (at least initially)" because the lifeboat is a maritime law requirement), would it matter if one of the perks was to offer suite guests, a luxurious or private lifeboat?

There are still indoor and outdoor spaces on the ship that everyone can access. There are still numerous bars, clubs, seats, loungers, etc for everyone.

If someone is willing to pay more, why can't they have more, better, bigger, etc?

I mean, if you're willing to pay more, you can have a soda, a specialty coffee, a beer, wine or cocktail; or if you purchase a drink package, you can have unlimited drinks - and if you pay more for the premium package, you can have unlimited expensive drinks. From there, it's a small step to specialty restaurants. Then to Blu if you're willing to pay for Aqua class. Then Butlers with suites, then to Elite, Elite+, Zenith events and perks, then to suite events and perks, including a private lounge.

The same principle to granting suites special access is the same principle that allows you to have a rum and coke in the evening - those willing to pay more, are allowed to have more.

It is not what you have or don't have, it is how you feel about what you have that is important...there will always be change, but the bottom line is revenue on Celebrity and other companies. Your choice is what ship to sail on during your vacation...life is just too short not to find some happiness!

Edited by Lastdance

I'm sure there are tourists from all over North America getting drunk on Duval street. Just because the ones speaking French are different is not a reason to be prejudice.

Replace Quebecers with 'New Yorkers' and you'd have many angry people.

Replace Quebecers with 'tourists' and your comment is fine.

Oh, simmer down. He made a joke about my home and I made a joke about his....hence the ;). That's all it was.

But on that note, I challenge you to show me where in my post I said anything about French speaking people. :confused:

Yes, there is an easy solution to that potential horrid experience. Did you know that you can actually travel on your own? One can actually charter their own private jet, yacht, tour guide, and even rent your own private island.

Only low class plebians travel on mass market cruises and are exposed to drunkards other than themselves (and that includes mass market "suites").

Well, duh. :)

As long as they provide a lifeboat to everyone (and it's getting silly with "seaworthy (at least initially)" because the lifeboat is a maritime law requirement), would it matter if one of the perks was to offer suite guests, a luxurious or private lifeboat?

- those willing to pay more, are allowed to have more.

I picked the most outrageous example I could think of namely lifeboat safety.

I was thinking of Jonathan Swift's A Modest Proposal . Cracks me up that someone agreed.

thanx

Oh, simmer down. He made a joke about my home and I made a joke about his....hence the ;). That's all it was.

:D

Can I ask, as a suite customer are the private lounges a real benefit for you, or is it the extra space in a nice cabin you like? I'd love the extra room, but when I'm out and about at night I'm looking for the lively venues, so I imagine private lounges with a limited number of customers would be less fun - but I don't know. Just thought I'd ask :)

We do not care for the private lounges. Very seldom used them on RCI other than on the Oasis and Allure where they served a nice lunch in the Concierge lounge complete with beer and wine. It was a very nice relaxed lunch. We book suites for space and the larger balcony. :)

Edited by cruisingator2

I believe the more options available the better, we pay for private excursions and tours and when we cruised Oceania they offered a service where they would set up a private tour for you or groups you organized. If X offered that we would use them and pay a premium. But we book on line as we don't like doing tours with 60 other people loaded on a bus with no control of what we see or how much time we have to stay at each spot.

But I guess there would be those that feel that is unfair as well?

They do now, it's called the destination concierge.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I hve sailed on Celebrity many times and always had a great experience. I just got off the NCL Breakaway April 27th where they have the Haven which is restricted to people who have suites. It really did not impact my experience at all.

I don't think the changes on celebrity will impact the average cruiser. There a just a few more perks for the suite guests which is probably good for business..

I don't really care what extras are given to those in suites. That is between them and Celebrity.

What I do care about is what I get for my dollar. When my experience is negatively impacted then so is my decision about where I spend my money in the future. For example I like sitting in the balcony on shows. I get there early to get a front row balcony seat. On the Solstice in March they were roping off the central area of the balcony for the suites. This is a negative impact to the value I receive, compared to before they started doing this. I like listening to string trio/quartets. Most recently they were scheduled in Michael's and the Wine Cellar (about the only venues, not overwhelmed by the music in the Atrium). Now with the changes where will they play? If the venue has to compete with the Atrium music or if they are pulled from the entertainment list then that change negatively impacts the value I recieve and my decision on where I spend my cruise dollar.

If Celebrity feel that they can easily replace me as a customer, that is fine because I can easily replace them. Every change means a pro to some and a con to others in their decision making process.

This year I am spending 70 days on cruise ships of various lines, next year I will spend 90-100 days.

For us it is the space, of the room and balcony. The butler is also nice, but we are not demanding nor needy, so we don't use their service very much other than for breakfast in our suite. We do not use the private lounges, not even the Elite lounge, it is not our thing, we much rather go to an open venue to mingle and people watch.

But on that note, I challenge you to show me where in my post I said anything about French speaking people. :confused:

I'm simmered. There was no way to know that this was a private joke between the two of you.

I brought up language as it is the only way someone would be able to identify a Quebecer on Duval Street .

Well, what I'D like to know is, now that Michaels Club is a private lounge, are the cushions still CHAINED to the banquettes or do they trust the better class of passenger? :D

Spending more money is quite different to being a better class.

The spending of celebrities and sport stars proves there is no link and probably the two are almost opposing factors.