New "class" system on Celebrity

FL1stLady

Here's the problem for me talking about "perks" and comparisons to other lines (I'm Elite Plus, by the way). At least on RCI and Princess, they haven't taken previously public lounges and changed them into private lounges. In other words, they haven't taken something away.

On Celebrity, removing Michael's from the public lounge inventory for us (and I know we are in the minority here) is a big deal. It was our favorite spot on Celebrity ships. On Royal Caribbean and Princess ships, their lounges for customer loyalty are dedicated rooms that for the most part were built into the original ships. They aren't taking lounges that were once public and restricting them.

I know most people don't really care that's Celebrity is basically cutting their ships up into pieces where certain people can and can't go and that's fine. As I've stated before, we have lots of vacation options out there that we enjoy including other cruise lines.

While I've never been happy about Celebrity turning Michael's into a Suite lounge, I'm even far more concerned about the cuts in staffing. Michael's may not have been a deal breaker for us, but the continuous loss of activities staff and live entertainment is.

I appreciate the perks offered in Elite Plus but they certainly aren't enough to keep us sailing Celebrity. Not upset....just sad about the direction of a cruise line we loved!

Incorrect. RCI has taken public space away to add lounges. Up in the Viking Crown the 19th hole bar was changed to the Diamod lounge on the Voyager class. Other public space was taken away on the smaller ships. Most of the Viking Crown lounge on the Radiance class ships are now the new Diamond and Concierge lounges. On the Splendour they carved space for both the Concierge and Diamond lounge out of the Top Hat lounge. Also specialty dining restaurants were added in previously open public space.

Edited by cruisingator2

On Royal Caribbean and Princess ships, their lounges for customer loyalty are dedicated rooms that for the most part were built into the original ships. They aren't taking lounges that were once public and restricting them.

On what Princess ship do they have a dedicated room for their customer loyalty such as Elite?

They have a pay $3.95 selected drink at Happy Hour in a part of a lounge. No, free drinks at Happy Hour.

Here's the problem for me talking about "perks" and comparisons to other lines (I'm Elite Plus, by the way). At least on RCI and Princess, they haven't taken previously public lounges and changed them into private lounges. In other words, they haven't taken something away.

On Celebrity, removing Michael's from the public lounge inventory for us (and I know we are in the minority here) is a big deal. It was our favorite spot on Celebrity ships. On Royal Caribbean and Princess ships, their lounges for customer loyalty are dedicated rooms that for the most part were built into the original ships. They aren't taking lounges that were once public and restricting them.

I know most people don't really care that's Celebrity is basically cutting their ships up into pieces where certain people can and can't go and that's fine. As I've stated before, we have lots of vacation options out there that we enjoy including other cruise lines.

While I've never been happy about Celebrity turning Michael's into a Suite lounge, I'm even far more concerned about the cuts in staffing. Michael's may not have been a deal breaker for us, but the continuous loss of activities staff and live entertainment is.

I appreciate the perks offered in Elite Plus but they certainly aren't enough to keep us sailing Celebrity. Not upset....just sad about the direction of a cruise line we loved!

Good point. The Michael's Club was also our favorite bar, but the hours were always limited. We were the only ones in the bar more times than not. In a way I think the lack of usage was the most significant contributor to the change. The only time it was busy was on the Exclipse when the Michael's club became a Perry Grant show venue which make it almost useless for us.

I have hopes that the enhanced Cellar Master will be a big improvement and make up for the loss of the previous Michael's Club. (Better hours and international beers).

The bottom line is that IMO the change will be an overall improvement and we add to our enjoyment.

I will have to see if I find the staff adjustments/shifting of resources from one area to another is a positive or negative for us. Since I did not participate in labor intensive staff activities frequently it might not be a negative for us. I will know soon enough.

I posted in my review of the Century I felt a definite "class" system was in place and there were also vehement posts that my "feelings" were misplaced. I've never cruised RCI so can't compare.

I also don't like ships where public spaces are off limits unless you are cruising in a specific class cabin. If they want a clas system, then do what the hotels do and put it all on one floor so its not so much in your face. But every day (often multiple times a day) you walk past a room such as Michael's that you can't enter becuase you are in a lower class of cabin - it's actively engaging in the perception of a class differential.

I don't think the perception of the OPs feelings of class distinction is wrong. Many people get that feeling wether others agree or not, the perception is there and felt by others.

To the OP - you are not alone in this feeling!!

Edited by Lisah101

Anne,

I understand your issue losing you favorite spot. We have gone into Michael's a few times and never saw many (sometimes none) people there, so we left. That may be why you like the place. We like Cellar Masters, but few people go there either, so we don't go there unless there is a wine tasting event.

Incorrect. RCI has taken public space away to add lounges. Up in the Viking Crown the 19th hole bar was changed to the Diamod lounge on the Voyager class. Other public space was taken away on the smaller ships. Most of the Viking Crown lounge on the Radiance class ships are now the new Diamond and Concierge lounges. On the Splendour they carved space for both the Concierge and Diamond lounge out of the Top Hat lounge. Also specialty dining restaurants were added in previously open public space.

In addition to lounges, let's not forget that RC was the first to "rope off" sections of other public areas (theater, ice-rink, pool-side) for suite and D+ guests, only. I found the "class" distinctions on RC to be much more in-your-face than anything I've seen (well, so far) on X.

Im sorry but I don't agree with the OP point of view. Whether they are perks given to loyal members or passengers that have chosen to spend more for extra pampering and perks by staying in a suite, there is nothing wrong with it.. it is not a denial of rights to certain individuals based on anything prejudicial... ANYONE who wants to pay for a suite can enjoy the extra benefits which comes with it..and ANYONE can choose to be loyal to a brand so that they can earn the extra benefits which come with that loyalty membership.

I could understand the OP point of view if the complaint was that access to main areas of the ship were closed off... but there are more than enough places to enjoy on the ship without feeling the need to be able to walk into these small venues... There are special departure lounges, etc..for suite and higher level loyalty members.. They have either earned or paid for that extra benefit and it is totally appropriate that celebrity offer extra amenities to those who have paid extra for them or have earned them...

A relevant example would be the following...Celebrity offers a bridge tour for 150.00 per person. Should I complain that I don't have access to the bridge? I would love to see how the engine room works as I am fascinated by the workings of these amazing vessels but I am not willing to pay the price...

I'm concerned about what appears to be a class system beginning on Celebrity. First, there was Aqua Class and Blu. Only available to those booked in Aqua Class staterooms. Now! Michaels Club for suites. I have no problems with "bennies" for different classes...priority boarding and priority spa and restaurant reservations, etc. nor do I have a problem with perks for loyalty members. I, however, do resent not being able to go certain places on the ships simply because my room is different. That is exactly what I disliked about Cunard! This seems to be a trend. Are they going to restrict certain decks soon? Goodness, what on earth could happen if all the classes mingled?!! Are we not good enough to enjoy the entire ship? In this age, I'm really surprised that this is tolerated. Am I out of line?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

My wife and I love to cruise but we have to save every dollar we can in order to do so. We always book a balcony for the view and calmness the water provides me. Just being able to cruise and relax and enjoy our time away is enough for us. We enjoy the perks we do get from Celebrity & Royal and do not envy or desire the perks that those who pay for suites or who have higher status receive. They have paid for it over their years of cruising or for the very cruise they are on.

Its not the days of the titanic when classes were kept apart. I do not feel its out of line for people who pay more to receive benefits not available to all guests such as a private lounge or priority seating or whatever it may be. Not being able to go into a specific location means nothing to me. We have done 20 cruises and not once have we ever felt as if we were not receiving the same level of care and service as others.

OP - agree you have the right to say how you feel. I have that same right and those things you mentioned are minor to me. Now if they close say 1 swimming pool in a public area for suite guests, that might be going to far. To close one room or limit access to a restaurant when there are so many other places to eat - well IMHO that is Celebrity's decision. We either accept it, ignore it, or go someplace else. To be honest, on Carnival I felt the class distinction but did not let it ruin my trip. If you are Platinum or higher, they really give you preference. In a suite on Carnival, no perks. High loyalty member - many perks. Is that right? Sure since that is a Carnivals business model. So OP, this is Celebrity's new business model. Will it work? IMHO it will to such an extent suites will go very fast when bookings are opened. One example - transatlantic October 31 from Rome to Ft. Lauderdale. Last time I checked at least 9 of the 10 top suites reserved. Why? Maybe because it us a TA. Maybe because of the new benefits. Either way Celerity wins and IMHO becomes very competitive as an alternative to the luxury cruise lines like Regent, a Crystal, etc. But everyone has a choice. I pick Celebrity but others pick something else - we all like what we like and so we follow those businesses who cater to our likes.

I don't like it either, mainly because it makes it hard for families or friends to cruise together if they don't all have the same spending level. You could have a couple in Aqua class with travel companions in a regular cabin. The Aqua couple can't enjoy a perk they paid for, Blu, unless they're willing to not eat with their group. I would prefer a setup where Aqua or suite guests would have free access to all non-MDR restaurants but the rest of the passengers could go if they were willing to pay a charge. Then there would be more flexibility.

I also don't like permanent "off limits" outdoor areas on a cruise ship. Not happy if they're going to restrict my access to the Solstice deck (I'm assuming), often the only quiet outdoor space on the ship. Now where am I going to hide? :p:D

It's not in the least difficult for families and friends to cruise together. I just sailed with friends, none of whom had any status with Celebrity. So I didn't participate in all the Elite+ events, but chose to spend my time with them in other areas of the ship. We had a wonderful time.

If some of your family or group chooses to book in cabins that have different dining rooms, then you have caused your own problem. It's perfectly clear up front that the dining room for Aqua Class is Blu and that people in regular cabins won't be able to eat in that dining room. If you're traveling as a group and want to dine together as a group, then you need to make appropriate cabin arrangements.

It's not in the least difficult for families and friends to cruise together. I just sailed with friends, none of whom had any status with Celebrity. So I didn't participate in all the Elite+ events, but chose to spend my time with them in other areas of the ship. We had a wonderful time.

If some of your family or group chooses to book in cabins that have different dining rooms, then you have caused your own problem. It's perfectly clear up front that the dining room for Aqua Class is Blu and that people in regular cabins won't be able to eat in that dining room. If you're traveling as a group and want to dine together as a group, then you need to make appropriate cabin arrangements.

I think that was exactly the poster's point. The class system of cabins makes it more difficult because they either don't get the benefit of the perk they paid for, whereas if it was less class oriented and a just a cabin selection, it would be easier. Building in separate dining rooms for different classes means the group has to get a lesser cabin then they wanted, or pay for the "class" of the cabin because they can afford the suite, but not use the perks embedded in the price.

Bundling perks into cabin selection and creating classes is what I read as the issue. I'd rather have a suite at a lower price and eat in the main dining room, I want the space in the room, I don't need to be in an upper class cabin with separate dining rooms and lounges if my group isn't in the same "class". I think the bundling just drives up the cost of the suites more. But that is just my opinion.

We are planning our next 2 cruises to try 2 more cruise lines and found some lines to have this approach and others not.

I think that was exactly the poster's point. The class system of cabins makes it more difficult because they either don't get the benefit of the perk they paid for, whereas if it was less class oriented and a just a cabin selection, it would be easier. Building in separate dining rooms for different classes means the group has to get a lesser cabin then they wanted, or pay for the "class" of the cabin because they can afford the suite, but not use the perks embedded in the price.

Bundling perks into cabin selection and creating classes is what I read as the issue. I'd rather have a suite at a lower price and eat in the main dining room, I want the space in the room, I don't need to be in an upper class cabin with separate dining rooms and lounges if my group isn't in the same "class". I think the bundling just drives up the cost of the suites more. But that is just my opinion.

We are planning our next 2 cruises to try 2 more cruise lines and found some lines to have this approach and others not.

Then how would this one be handled?

We have around 40 family in our group, 1 couple books a suite, 1 books Aqua, the rest book regular verandas, OV, or inside. We all line up at the door to Blu or the suite dinning area and are seated, per your outlook. Now 36 people that paid the cost to use these areas are left standing at the door. Is that a fair deal for them?

We have around 40 family in our group, 1 couple books a suite, 1 books Aqua, the rest book regular verandas, OV, or inside. We all line up at the door to Blu or the suite dinning area and are seated, per your outlook. Now 36 people that paid the cost to use these areas are left standing at the door. Is that a fair deal for them?

Thats not what I implied - I didn't' suggest Blu be open to everyone, only that for some, the bundling of benefits is challenging for group bookings just as you pointed out.

I believe this "class system" is customer driven . It comes from the wishes of those that wish to spend
big and believe that a large high end cabin and other perks are not enough.
They also want exclusive public non-public spots.
Cruise lines are very willing to cater to these desires. Yes we are going back to a "class system" on board
but I believe it comes from the desires of these customers wishing to enjoy exclusive areas.

I dislike it but can't really blame the cruise lines. I equate it to gated communities.
Would you blame the builders for peoples desires to live in exclusive restricted areas ?
Would you blame them for satisfying these desires ?

[quote name='wwcruisers']In addition to lounges, let's not forget that RC was the first to "rope off" sections of other public areas (theater, ice-rink, pool-side) for suite and D+ guests, only. I found the "class" distinctions on RC to be much more in-your-face than anything I've seen (well, so far) on X.[/QUOTE]If you really wish to get slammed, post this on the RC CC board. I did and the reaction wasn't nice. :eek: Edited by richstowe

Back in the day, the railroads operated first class only trains (20th Century Limited and the Super Chief, to name just two) that had de classe' restaurants, barbers, hot showers and ladies' quiet rooms along with other niceties that the trains that offered coach fares did not.

Prices were much higher but the best benefit is that the schedules were significantly faster and the number of stops was limited.

Enter the airlines that took 4-5 hours to fly cross country (compared to the trains that took 4 to 5 days) where "creature comforts" were much less important than the time it took to get to your destination.

About first class on airlines, my dad, who traveled a lot for business, used to say that the folks in first class may get a bigger seat and free champagne, but they got to their destination just as fast as those in coach...and with emptier wallets. At least paying the much higher price to take a first class train would get you to to where you're going faster and in far more comfort than a coach class train so you got more than just a bigger seat for your money.

Boiling it down, various people have a wide variety of interests in taking a cruise. Some see a cruise ship as just a means of transportation to various ports (see the port intensive Caribbean cruises) to the wide variety of on board activities (see the trans-Atlantic crossings). Some see a cruise as an opportunity to socialize with people from a wide variety of life experiences while others just want to enjoy the ambiance of selected lounges to get away from the hustle and bustle of daily life.

While I understand how the introduction (re-introduction) of the class system creates changes, such as the loss of Michaels and restricted access to some areas on board, so long as the changes are effectively communicated so the repeat passenger doesn't wind up losing a desired feature without knowing it's gone.

Another term for the situation is "you get what you pay for."

Not sure if this is a universal expression but, growing up in New York I always heard someone say ..."you get what you pay for". Since all the new suite perks and ammenities will be available fleetwide April 2015, I'm going to use our July 2015 Silhouette British Isles cruise as an example.

Current price for the highest cat inside is $2899 pp. Current price for a Royal Suite (Penthouse no longer available) is $11299 pp. In today's economic environment with the countless cruise incentives and options available at any given moment, the majority of people would need an incentive to justify spending $8400 pp more. For Celebrity, the implementaion of these new dedicated "suite class" recognitions is another way to fill their ships.

[quote name='Scrappytraveller']I don't like it either, mainly because it makes it hard for families or friends to cruise together if they don't all have the same spending level. You could have a couple in Aqua class with travel companions in a regular cabin. The Aqua couple can't enjoy a perk they paid for, Blu, unless they're willing to not eat with their group. [B]I would prefer a setup where Aqua or suite guests would have free access to all non-MDR restaurants but the rest of the passengers could go if they were willing to pay a charge.[/B] Then there would be more flexibility.

I also don't like permanent "off limits" [U]outdoor[/U] areas on a cruise ship. Not happy if they're going to restrict my access to the Solstice deck (I'm assuming), often the only quiet outdoor space on the ship. Now where am I going to hide? :p:D[/quote]
I'll steal this question from Wallie, but since you think that others not in Aqua or suites should be able to pay to go to the Aqua or Suite restaurant.

We have around 40 family in our group, 1 couple books a suite, 1 books Aqua, the rest book regular verandas, OV, or inside. We all line up at the door to Blu or the suite dinning area and are seated, per your outlook. Now 36 people that paid the cost to use these areas are left standing at the door. Is that a fair deal for them? Edited by NLH Arizona

[quote name='WALKER1313']Hasn't said; STEERAGE on my seapass, yet.[/QUOTE]

Might see it next time. :)

As much I also do not like reductions is public areas (new cruisers have no comparison to compare) Celebrity like all cruise lines needs to review operations/services and adjust.

[quote name='wallie5446']Then how would this one be handled?
We have around 40 family in our group, 1 couple books a suite, 1 books Aqua, the rest book regular verandas, OV, or inside. We all line up at the door to Blu or the suite dinning area and are seated, per your outlook. Now 36 people that paid the cost to use these areas are left standing at the door. Is that a fair deal for them?[/quote]

[quote name='Lisah101']Thats not what I implied - I didn't' suggest Blu be open to everyone, only that for some, the bundling of benefits is challenging for group bookings just as you pointed out.[/quote]

I think we are closer to being on the same page than apart:D

IMHO, ( which I always say wont get you a cup of Joe nowhere ) in every thing where one has to 'BUY' entrance to the show, they know what the different seat cost and what comes with that seat. A cruise vacation is no different. The front three rows behind home plate are very high priced seats, and just because my seconds cousin's best friends sister has a seat there, dont mean I can join them.

This is so very simple.

[quote name='wallie5446']I think we are closer to being on the same page than apart:D

IMHO, ( which I always say wont get you a cup of Joe nowhere ) in every thing where one has to 'BUY' entrance to the show, they know what the different seat cost and what comes with that seat. A cruise vacation is no different. The front three rows behind home plate are very high priced seats, and just because my seconds cousin's best friends sister has a seat there, dont mean I can join them.

This is so very simple.[/QUOTE]

Exactly!!! All of these perks are available to everyone. All you have to do is pay for them. Unfortunately, in this entitlement society that we live in, most people seem to think that they should have all of the same rights (perks) that are afforded to others. Personally, I can not afford the high priced accommodations that others can, and have to be satisfied in Aqua, but if I could then I would. I do not begrudge the suite guests for what they get although at time I must admit that I do feel a twang of envy sometimes. However, I have never felt shorted on any Celebrity cruise and have always had my expectations exceeded.

It is very simple and it works. By paying more you get more it is so simple.
In the past we were happy to cruise inside, OV or a balcony depending on the itinerary and price .
We never thought Concierge as much value so we have never cruised it but with the introduction of Aqua class we have opened our wallets.
We enjoy AC on S class and on M class we sail A1 so 11th deck and try for the aft cabins.
Many will not see the value in it but we do and we will spend to get what we want.

I understand that those who don't or cannot afford to spend more may be peeved that they are excluded from some ship board perks but such is life.
Move on and as others have stated enjoy what you have.

I believe the more options available the better, we pay for private excursions and tours and when we cruised Oceania they offered a service where they would set up a private tour for you or groups you organized. If X offered that we would use them and pay a premium. But we book on line as we don't like doing tours with 60 other people loaded on a bus with no control of what we see or how much time we have to stay at each spot.
But I guess there would be those that feel that is unfair as well? Edited by baldercash

[quote name='baldercash']It is very simple and it works. By paying more you get more it is so simple.

But I guess there would be those that feel that is unfair as well?[/QUOTE]And what is the limit ?

I understand those life-boats are kinda crowded .
Based on your logic , shouldn't the upper class have better more luxurious boats ?
All boats would be equally seaworthy (at least initially) but perhaps they should have a concierge to get to the boat faster and safer.
After all they paid more

Oh is this silly ? So this is a bridge too far . It's hard to tell what is too much based on the arguments of some.

What about increased security on board ? How about that. Should suite quests have the right to better safety.
After all they paid more .

What about childrens programs. God forbid these perfect children mix with the "others".
After all they paid more .

and on and on Edited by richstowe