New "class" system on Celebrity

FL1stLady

I'm concerned about what appears to be a class system beginning on Celebrity. First, there was Aqua Class and Blu. Only available to those booked in Aqua Class staterooms. Now! Michaels Club for suites. I have no problems with "bennies" for different classes...priority boarding and priority spa and restaurant reservations, etc. nor do I have a problem with perks for loyalty members. I, however, do resent not being able to go certain places on the ships simply because my room is different. That is exactly what I disliked about Cunard! This seems to be a trend. Are they going to restrict certain decks soon? Goodness, what on earth could happen if all the classes mingled?!! Are we not good enough to enjoy the entire ship? In this age, I'm really surprised that this is tolerated. Am I out of line?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

So you don't have a problem with the Captain's Club which restricts some guests from attending certain areas and functions based on their level but you have an issue with suite guests receiving something that you can't have? Okay.

Stay away from RCI, NCL and MSC as they have perks for suite guests too. I recall a special suites lounge on HAL too.

Edited by cruisingator2

I'm concerned about what appears to be a class system beginning on Celebrity. First, there was Aqua Class and Blu. Only available to those booked in Aqua Class staterooms. Now! Michaels Club for suites. I have no problems with "bennies" for different classes...priority boarding and priority spa and restaurant reservations, etc. nor do I have a problem with perks for loyalty members. I, however, do resent not being able to go certain places on the ships simply because my room is different. That is exactly what I disliked about Cunard! This seems to be a trend. Are they going to restrict certain decks soon? Goodness, what on earth could happen if all the classes mingled?!! Are we not good enough to enjoy the entire ship? In this age, I'm really surprised that this is tolerated. Am I out of line?

I do not agree with your concerns.

I don't fly First Class and have never stayed in a suite on a cruise. I have cruised on Celebrity and NCL and never felt that higher paying cruisers were had it up on me because they paid two or three or four times what I paid for the same cruise. 95% is open to me and I can do without access to the small part of the ship that I cannot go. We are not in steerage and don't feel the class division.

How do you feel about walking through the First Class section on your way to tourist? Does it bother you that you can't use the toilet in the First Class section?

Sorry, but the classes do mingle, most of the time.

I have never cruised with NCL, HAL or MSC. I am not at an advanced loyalty level on Celebrity or RCI. I do not mind others getting extra things or my being restricted from occasional parties. I DO mind being restricted from certain areas, especially for an entire cruise.

I do not agree with your concerns.

I don't fly First Class and have never stayed in a suite on a cruise. I have cruised on Celebrity and NCL and never felt that higher paying cruisers were had it up on me because they paid two or three or four times what I paid for the same cruise. 95% is open to me and I can do without access to the small part of the ship that I cannot go. We are not in steerage and don't feel the class division.

How do you feel about walking through the First Class section on your way to tourist? Does it bother you that you can't use the toilet in the First Class section?

Sorry, but the classes do mingle, most of the time.

Some good points.

Aren't the perks for loyalty members, just the same as you are talking about. They have the Elite cocktail party, which closes down a venue to the rest of the passengers. They also have the Elite breakfast, which also closes down a venue. They have the Captain's Club party, which closes down a venu. What about the Cruise Critic meet and greet, that also closes down a venue and only Cruise Critic folks can attend. How are any of these things different; in all the instances I guess you would say that those that can't join the events are not good enough to enjoy the entire ship?

Also, why do you think that suite passengers won't mingle. The passengers who sail in the Haven on NCL are out and about just like everyone else on the ship and unless you knew they were in a suite, no one could tell, just as you will not be able to tell who is in a Celebrity suite unless they mention it.

I don't think you are out of line, because that is your opinion, I just don't think most people would even notice or care what others are getting or doing.

I, however, do resent not being able to go certain places on the ships simply because my room is different.

It's not any different than at an airport or at a hotel.

At an airport, you can't go to an airline-specific lounge (with free drinks and food) unless you have a First Class or Business Class ticket, or pay a day fee, or paid an annual fee and have a membership card.

At a hotel, you can't use the Business Lounge or Concierge Lounge (with free drinks and food) unless you paid for a certain level of room.

Sometimes when we look over our shoulder at what everyone else has, we forget to appreciate the pearl we hold in our own hands.

Great post. :)

So you don't have a problem with the Captain's Club which restricts some guests from attending certain areas and functions based on their level but you have an issue with suite guests receiving something that you can't have? Okay.

Stay away from RCI, NCL and MSC as they have perks for suite guests too. I recall a special suites lounge on HAL too.

Don't forget Princess Cruises... Same thing

On my most recent cruise we were in Aqua. On our next cruise we will be in steerage since Alaska prices are ridiculous. Will I feel like a second class citizen when I have to wait in a long, snaking line instead of priority boarding with the Suite people? No. I will be overjoyed to set foot on a Solstice class ship for the second time in four months

I can also choose to cruise with Celebrity more often to earn special perks, just like one earns as a frequent flyer or frequent hotel guest. I can also choose, with my new, lower-priced steerage fare, to upgrade my dining experience and pay nightly( if I want to) to dine in specialty restaurants to get a non-steerage mass banquet hall style meal. It is about choices, and since aqua was $3,400 and steerage will cost $2,000, that

Will afford me the opportunity to pay for my own drinks, espressos, et cet. Those in Suites are paying $15,000 for a ten day cruise You too can opt for certain pleasures in life. How much are you willing to pay?

Edited by 4cats4me

Sometimes when we look over our shoulder at what everyone else has, we forget to appreciate the pearl we hold in our own hands.

Hi Embrace,

Well said. I'm thankful for each and every day, and never worry about stuff like this. If folks can afford suites, and that's the accomodations they desire ? Good for them ! Me ? I'm thrilled when I have the opportunity to sail on a beautiful cruise ship. That's my true happiness.

As for Celebrity adding extra amenities for Suite Guests ? You pay more, you should get more. Seems logical to me.

I'm with the op to a certain extent. We are booked on the Eclipse, having been on her twice before. We were looking forward to supping several drinks in our favourite bar only to find that Michael's Club has been changed and therefore denied to us.

Knowing this before we booked would not have stopped us booking but it still rankles.

We shall just have to find a different bar….

Having said all that we have just booked a cruise on Cunard!!!

no accounting for folk.

Edited by jomf

I'm concerned about what appears to be a class system beginning on Celebrity. First, there was Aqua Class and Blu. Only available to those booked in Aqua Class staterooms. Now! Michaels Club for suites

Perhaps this is RCI's way of trying to position Celebrity more in line with Cunard than Princess, or maybe they just thought it might be an interesting enticement.

So long as they are clear what you get for the price you pay when you book I haven't much of a problem with extra perks if you pay more. I choose to pay for inside instead of a balcony, take the free MDR instead of speciality restaurants - I just enjoy whatever I do, and pay for the perks I want, but I'm not jealous of those who chose to upgrade to a balcony etc (ok well not a lot jealous!!!!) If a ship charged extra for everything I wanted I'd probably guess it wasn't the one for me and sail with someone who suited me more. I also don't equate the ability to pay with having class :)

My only surprise was on the celebrity constellation 3/31-4/5 we were in a sky suite but we were not allowed to go into Michael's. As that was now only for larger suites, but for $5.00 (suggested gratuities) each we dined in blu. Then went back on ship b2b in an aqua cabin. And it was well worth the small price difference from a normal balcony to get the perks and blu restaurant. Would do either cabin when the price difference seems worth the increased perks. GOI (get over it)[emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's the problem for me talking about "perks" and comparisons to other lines (I'm Elite Plus, by the way). At least on RCI and Princess, they haven't taken previously public lounges and changed them into private lounges. In other words, they haven't taken something away.

On Celebrity, removing Michael's from the public lounge inventory for us (and I know we are in the minority here) is a big deal. It was our favorite spot on Celebrity ships. On Royal Caribbean and Princess ships, their lounges for customer loyalty are dedicated rooms that for the most part were built into the original ships. They aren't taking lounges that were once public and restricting them.

I know most people don't really care that's Celebrity is basically cutting their ships up into pieces where certain people can and can't go and that's fine. As I've stated before, we have lots of vacation options out there that we enjoy including other cruise lines.

While I've never been happy about Celebrity turning Michael's into a Suite lounge, I'm even far more concerned about the cuts in staffing. Michael's may not have been a deal breaker for us, but the continuous loss of activities staff and live entertainment is.

I appreciate the perks offered in Elite Plus but they certainly aren't enough to keep us sailing Celebrity. Not upset....just sad about the direction of a cruise line we loved!

Here's the problem for me talking about "perks" and comparisons to other lines (I'm Elite Plus, by the way). At least on RCI and Princess, they haven't taken previously public lounges and changed them into private lounges. In other words, they haven't taken something away.

On Celebrity, removing Michael's from the public lounge inventory for us (and I know we are in the minority here) is a big deal. It was our favorite spot on Celebrity ships. On Royal Caribbean and Princess ships, their lounges for customer loyalty are dedicated rooms that for the most part were built into the original ships. They aren't taking lounges that were once public and restricting them.

I know most people don't really care that's Celebrity is basically cutting their ships up into pieces where certain people can and can't go and that's fine. As I've stated before, we have lots of vacation options out there that we enjoy including other cruise lines.

While I've never been happy about Celebrity turning Michael's into a Suite lounge, I'm even far more concerned about the cuts in staffing. Michael's may not have been a deal breaker for us, but the continuous loss of activities staff and live entertainment is.

I appreciate the perks offered in Elite Plus but they certainly aren't enough to keep us sailing Celebrity. Not upset....just sad about the direction of a cruise line we loved!

PERFECTLY stated !!!!

I don't like it either, mainly because it makes it hard for families or friends to cruise together if they don't all have the same spending level. You could have a couple in Aqua class with travel companions in a regular cabin. The Aqua couple can't enjoy a perk they paid for, Blu, unless they're willing to not eat with their group. I would prefer a setup where Aqua or suite guests would have free access to all non-MDR restaurants but the rest of the passengers could go if they were willing to pay a charge. Then there would be more flexibility.

I also don't like permanent "off limits" outdoor areas on a cruise ship. Not happy if they're going to restrict my access to the Solstice deck (I'm assuming), often the only quiet outdoor space on the ship. Now where am I going to hide? :p:D

I'm with the op to a certain extent. We are booked on the Eclipse, having been on her twice before. We were looking forward to supping several drinks in our favourite bar only to find that Michael's Club has been changed and therefore denied to us.

Knowing this before we booked would not have stopped us booking but it still rankles.

no accounting for folk.

Everything from Michaels has been or is being moved to other bars or outlets. The only thing you will miss is the drab brown walls and empty bar chairs. ;)

Add me to those unaffected. I can't morally protest a suite lounge when I take part in a loyalty event that closes a venue to other guests. Other than the recently added craft beers, that I'm sure will be moved to another venue, Michaels never seemed like anything special to me anyways.

On Celebrity, removing Michael's from the public lounge inventory for us (and I know we are in the minority here) is a big deal. It was our favorite spot on Celebrity ships.!

That's a shame if you're losing your favourite bar, especially as you must have sailed with Celebrity a lot. Michaels Club always seemed to be closed or empty on my 2 cruises, so it's no big deal for me, but if you'd said they'd put Rendezvous or the Martini Bar off limits I'd see your point. Have to say I really enjoyed my cruises though and would definitely sail with them again, so hope things don't change to much. As you say though there are other cruise lines if they do.