New "class" system on Celebrity

FL1stLady

I got a very last minute deal to sail Summit to Bermuda this Sunday.

I'm in Aqua Class and not a suite, so will be able to now finally experience the awful "classism" everyone talks about, and all those spaces that are now private and closed off to all but those in a suite I can no longer enjoy. And the complete lack of service due to the shift of all the staff to tending to the suites. What on earth am I thinking....?!?!

So I'll have an apples to apples comparison to see how much it changes my view of the suites experience.

Have a great cruise! Don't eat too many apples - especially those "lower" Aqua-class apples!

I don't believe that extra space is needed just for Suite changes. A dedicated chef for the new restaurant is one example but there are also more people in future sales and destination concierge for another.

Celebrity is evolving and making changes to attract passengers from all walks of life.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with providing an enhanced experience for people who are willing to pay for it while still attracting the traditional demographic who enjoy the rest of the ship. We have always considered Celebrity a classy cruise line. A class system? I'm proud to sail Celebrity Class: that's why we come back again and again and again. It's our seaside condo after all, a cut above all the rest. (well most of them)

I totally agree with your post. Everyone has a choice in what they want. If you pay more, you should receive more. It is all about choice! I think it is an excellent idea, and will drive us to Celebrity more!

The celebrity Official FAQ and common questions article specifically states the new suite dinig rooms being built in a brand new space (not taking over an existing space) near the MDR on Port side of ship, deck 5 on M and deck 4 on S class. So sounds like it IS NOT displacing any of the select dining space.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Flyers/14037410_CEL_Suites_FAQs.pdf

That is rather interesting because there is not really anyplace near the MDR on the port side to put it since that is where you have the Martini Bar. On the Starboard side is the Cellar Masters, which might be more likely.

Might be space on M Class since there appears to be non-public space behind Bistro on 5 that could be converted.

As I have said earlier the key is going to be in the implementation.

That is rather interesting because there is not really anyplace near the MDR on the port side to put it since that is where you have the Martini Bar. On the Starboard side is the Cellar Masters, which might be more likely.

Might be space on M Class since there appears to be non-public space behind Bistro on 5 that could be converted.

M Class, they say they are going deck 5 Port (port is left side right?)

Martini seems to be midship starboard on deck 4. Looking at Connie layout, looks like there is some sort of large unused space behind Bistro on 5 - maybe kitchen space they are going to make a bit smaller?

I'm on summit this week, will take a look and see what I can see :-)

S Class, deck 4 port is where it will go.

Looks like there is a dead space smack in the middle between the 2 entrances but before the restrooms or more aft past current seating areas that may take over some of the kitchen/storage space if it really is port and not centered. You're right Martini would take a hit on the S class plan if they put it there unless they remove the men's room area.

Martini seems to be midship starboard on deck 4. Looking at Connie layout, looks like there is some sort of large unused space behind Bistro on 5 - maybe kitchen space they are going to make a bit smaller?

Looks like there is a dead space smack in the middle between the 2 entrances but before the restrooms or more aft past current seating areas that may take over some of the kitchen/storage space if it really is port and not centered. You're right Martini would take a hit on the S class plan if they put it there unless they remove the men's room area.

Not enough space in the men's room. I doubt it would be in the middle since they would want to have the suite dining room someplace where they have windows, not in an inside space. I agree that on the M Class the space behind Bisto on 5 is possible. S Class is a different story. Still expect them to follow the Blu retrofit approach since that would provide the window access. Would not expect them to take space away from the Martini bar since that boarders the open atrium space.

I just took another look at the language that you referenced:

The restaurant exclusively for Suite Class guests will be located in a newly created space just off the Main restaurant.

Now this does not say that it will not use space from the main restaurant. Only that it will be located in its own newly created space just off the Main Restaurant. They could take space from the current MDR on the S Class to make another room like they did with the Blu retrofit on M Class and it would be just off of the future MDR in newly created space.

See this post http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=42859082&postcount=58

I would be surprised if they go that route. I would expect the suites dining area to:

1. have very good window/ocean view seating

2. be isolated from the mdr

A fair amount of that space does not have good ocean view

I don't think that they would build a wall right along the open area.

They might put it in the back corner of that space, but then it would not have its own entrance.

I have a headache just reading these threads trying to figure out special staffing. Suite guests are not new. It's not like they are adding rooms and extra passengers. Michael's had to have a bartender and wait staff before it was a separate venue for Zenith and suite guests. Hopefully now they will have passengers to serve as from my own experience and from what I have read on numerous threads it is a ghost town. Last year we traveled with another couple and we happened to walk into Michael's. We were the only one's there. We were just about to walk out when a waiter pounced on us so we ordered a drink. It just so happens the A Capella group came in at the same time to preform. We were the only one's there so we had a private performance and we were only in ocean view staterooms. I wonder if they would have sung to an empty room? Michael's is obviously not a draw and the A Capella group doesn't seem to be packing them in either. It's no wonder that both are going by the waste side. Personally I think it's a slap in the face for suite guest and Zenith members to have this venue reserved for them. It's almost like Celebrity saying we can't generate revenue in this space so let's turn it into a perk and make it special so that it is more desirable and maybe it will generate some business.

That's the only logical space left without carving out other areas.

Sherlock Holmes has a quote.... (he had a whole bunch but this fits my purpose) ;)

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.

You're welcome! And, do not worry, your MIL with have a wonderful time...

At 86 [the age my mother is now], I am sure that your MIL is going to be wowed.

The hairdressers on board have always been wonderful but, if your MIL wants her hair done for formal night. be sure to make your booking early. ...

Thanks so much for the tip re the hairdresser. I will ensure I make an appointment for her pre-cruise with concierge.

It is reassuring to hear that your MIL enjoyed Celebrity. We did try NCL Epic several years ago and had a villa in the Haven. Although we all really liked the Haven experience (the concierge was exceptional) we were not so keen on the rest of the ship. I remember the circus show which included dinner had especially awful food.

I have been reading your recent experiences and those of other regular suite cruisers and it does seem that Celebrity is developing a better product in terms of suites. It was these comments and the announcement of Suite Class which were keen inputs into our decision to book as we were also looking at Cunard which has a similar itinerary. With our various ages we decided against Cunard and think Celebrity will be a better fit. My husband and I have now booked a separate trip on Cunard QM2 in a QG later in 2015.

Probably going to be flamed but if X truly want a 'suite class product' then there should be a private sun deck for at least CS & above. I don't think it really matters as to its location though as long as there is one.

The extra perks and private areas for suite guests do not concern me. BUT, I hope they do NOT introduce a segregated sun deck for suite guests. WHY?? Well, because I go on holiday to meet all kinds of people and it is such a shame to be segregated from other guests permanently purely because they have a suit. I do not judge people by the room they stay in...I do not even ask.

To be honest, with all this talk, I am starting to wonder how people will be treating my children when on board in 2016? Not Crew, but other guests!!!

The extra perks and private areas for suite guests do not concern me. BUT, I hope they do NOT introduce a segregated sun deck for suite guests. WHY?? Well, because I go on holiday to meet all kinds of people and it is such a shame to be segregated from other guests permanently purely because they have a suit. I do not judge people by the room they stay in...I do not even ask.

To be honest, with all this talk, I am starting to wonder how people will be treating my children when on board in 2016? Not Crew, but other guests!!!

I wouldn't worry about anyone treating your children badly. It is easy to complain on here (and to be honest, there are very few on this site who have complain about children), but I doubt anyone would say anything to you or your children; a look maybe, but never a word. I found on all my cruises, that everyone loves a well behaved child, especially the little ones and those that interact with other passengers.

Also, don't worry about segregation. Those that pay a premium, should IMHO, have a quiet, less crowded sunning place to sun if they chose, but they will still be out and about the ship, so you will probably have a chance to meet all the passengers. Not to mention, as a suite passenger has said, he would rather be out on the regular sun deck, so some might not even want to use a dedicated sun deck.

Probably going to be flamed but if X truly want a 'suite class product' then there should be a private sun deck for at least CS & above. I don't think it really matters as to its location though as long as there is one.

Sorry, but I cannot agree. It would be very difficult to provide suite guests with an area which included some of everything - full sun, partial sun, full shade - and not be too large an area. Not everyone wants the same when it comes to deck space and the suites all have their own balconies since the balconies were added to the M-class CS. I also think a private sun deck would be too much "in your face" to non-suite guests. At least Michael's Club and the Suite Restaurant, once available, will be discrete.

Sorry, but I cannot agree. It would be very difficult to provide suite guests with an area which included some of everything - full sun, partial sun, full shade - and not be too large an area. Not everyone wants the same when it comes to deck space and the suites all have their own balconies since the balconies were added to the M-class CS. I also think a private sun deck would be too much "in your face" to non-suite guests. At least Michael's Club and the Suite Restaurant, once available, will be discrete.

Although we book suites, that is just our preference. I think an area for sunning only with suite guest is totally NOT a good idea! It is nice to meet other people, and there is no need for anything like that!

Although we book suites, that is just our preference. I think an area for sunning only with suite guest is totally NOT a good idea! It is nice to meet other people, and there is no need for anything like that!

I agree with you, we have been to cruises with segregated pool areas (NCL, Disney and RCCL), and never used them. Just our preference.:)

So you don't have a problem with the Captain's Club which restricts some guests from attending certain areas and functions based on their level but you have an issue with suite guests receiving something that you can't have? Okay.

Stay away from RCI, NCL and MSC as they have perks for suite guests too. I recall a special suites lounge on HAL too.

I almost choked on my orange juice! :D