Classic Drink Package - Significant Cuts in what's included (Threads Merged)

ghstudio

What Celebrity did is very different. They enticed people to purchase tickets with a promotion giving away a "free" classic drink package. The folks that got that "free" package took the value of that package into account when purchasing their cabins. The presumption (right or wrong) was that the package would include essentially what the package included when they got the package (many nuances of this...for example celebrity apparently published the contents of the classic drink package in the UK in advertisements). Had celebrity raised the price of the packages and left the drinks the same, there was no issue....if you have the package free, or purchased it before the announcement, you got exactly the same drinks. But celebrity didn't do that...they left the price the same and changed the content...perceived as "bait and switch", misleading, etc....you can read the posts.

IMHO, NCL did it right...celebrity didn't.

Exactly correct, every word.

Would you honestly buy something that the only description was the price!!

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

No, but that is what Celebrity wants us to do. Their information about the (USA) Classic and Premium packages is so vague, and they do not publish menus with prices for spirits or wine. So, as a consumer, I research forums like this where I found various posts, some with photos of menus, others with links, that got me excited about a number of brands which I expected to receive in the Classic package that I purchased back in April, only to find out, that the brands and pricing changed May 1st, and many are now available only in the upgrade Premium package at a price of $161/week for two. If Celebrity does not offer an OBC to cover the upgrade it will be "bait and switch" tactic.

This is EXACTLY What you did. You admitately read "information about the (USA) Classic and Premium packages [that] is so vague", and bought it anyway with simply what you research on the internet, apparently not on the company's official webstie.

Now I mean to be a bit funny here, and not offensive, but do you seriously think that menus never change, or do you believe everything you read on the internet?

I agree a bit with what Cle-Guy said earlier on this thread. This seems a lot like the situation with all the mis-information about the cost to upgrade the package from $10-$15, which never happened. I also agree with what X should do as far as publishing prices. I actually have documents that I was given on booking that says the package upgrade price is $11.50/pp/pd which on consideration, just for upgraded water, let alone the drinks I like to drink seems fair to me.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Cle....I think you are having problems understanding the point of view of folks who are less well off than you are. You seem to book suites (albeit when the price is right) and many here book guaranteed veranda's. .

I don't know, a Penthouse on those charters he's booking can still be pretty pricey...

Happy Sailing,

Jenna

Edited by need2bespoiled

This is EXACTLY What you did. You admitately read "information about the (USA) Classic and Premium packages [that] is so vague", and bought it anyway with simply what you research on the internet, apparently not on the company's official webstie.

Now I mean to be a bit funny here, and not offensive, but do you seriously think that menus never change, or do you believe everything you read on the internet?

I agree a bit with what Cle-Guy said earlier on this thread. This seems a lot like the situation with all the mis-information about the cost to upgrade the package from $10-$15, which never happened. I also agree with what X should do as far as publishing prices. I actually have documents that I was given on booking that says the package upgrade price is $11.50/pp/pd which on consideration, just for upgraded water, let alone the drinks I like to drink seems fair to me.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

This is what X advertised (hope pic loads!) I reviewed it and paid for it, so if X don't honour that then it can be construed as profiteering.

uploadfromtaptalk1400257295989.jpg.7868b21fac04eea6ae1a9f5f5c5d7ce1.jpg

This is what X advertised (hope pic loads!) I reviewed it and paid for it, so if X don't honour that then it can be construed as profiteering.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=42781675

A better view !!

"All Cocktails up to the value of $9.20".

So they raise the price of some cocktails and they're no longer included.

No date on the flyer you posted.

What if one of the brands was suddenly unavailable, what then?

I understand the concern, and how it's preceived, but this happens in life all the time. For those who can't cancel because it's too close to your cruise, you can choose to haev a good time, or you can choose to be upset. For those futher away, you can cancel and try and find a better deal elsewhere. We still don't really know how this will all shake out and what will be included.

I hope they don't bring back fuel surcharges, that would certainly cause a ruckus.

Happy Sailing,

Jenna

Edited by need2bespoiled

I don't know, a Penthouse on those charters he's booking can still be pretty pricey...

Happy Sailing,

Jenna

Only one of my sailings was a charter. the others were with a group at group discounted rates. The single charter was in a celebrity suite. It's one I used pay with amex points to cover.

Edited by cle-guy

Only one of my sailings was a charter. the others were with a group at group discounted rates. The single charter was in a celebrity suite. It's one I used pay with amex points to cover.

Sorry Curt, I thought PP were charters, I stand corrected. Even deeply discounted, PHs are still pricey.

We enjoy "the suite life", but unless we have whole lot of family onboard we wanted to entertain, I don't see spending the extra for just the two of us from a RS to a PH unless the price was pretty darn special. We've enjoyed entertaining in the "lesser" ;) suites :)

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Sorry Curt, I thought PP were charters, I stand corrected. Even deeply discounted, PHs are still pricey.

We enjoy "the suite life", but unless we have whole lot of family onboard we wanted to entertain, I don't see spending the extra for just the two of us from a RS to a PH unless the price was pretty darn special. We've enjoyed entertaining in the "lesser" ;) suites :)

Happy sailing,

Jenna

On the TA i just took, I got the PH for less than the RS sold for 2 weeks prior... :-)

That's the bargains I hunt down! I had decided to not do the TA this year but then that popped up, and I canceled my planed summer greek isles cruise and took the TA instead. I hosted Cabin crawl, and a CC Roll call group who had got together to charter a bus to london (saved money there too!) and my group hosted 1 party and I had one for new people I met on board. It was a very nice experience for sure.

I do love the RS on Solstice class the best I would say unless planning large groups like this, and absent such a sweet (suite?!) deal like I found on this one.

On the TA i just took, I got the PH for less than the RS sold for 2 weeks prior... :-)

That's the bargains I hunt down! I had decided to not do the TA this year but then that popped up, and I canceled my planed summer greek isles cruise and took the TA instead. I hosted Cabin crawl, and a CC Roll call group who had got together to charter a bus to london (saved money there too!) and my group hosted 1 party and I had one for new people I met on board. It was a very nice experience for sure.

I do love the RS on Solstice class the best I would say unless planning large groups like this, and absent such a sweet (suite?!) deal like I found on this one.

Not to hijack, but I definitely agree that the RS on S-Class is way nicer than M-Class. While the PH on S-Class is VERY nice, the M-Class penthouse aft deck is hard to beat. The CS on M-Class is better in our opinion than on S-Class so that adds some cabin choice challenges for us as we're generally in CS/RS but don't like the CS on S-Class. We actually think for the money the after corner S1s are a better value than CS on S-Class. The new benefits (free unlimited internet and premium dirnk included) pushed us to move all of our 2015 and future sailings up.

Happy Sailing,

Jenna

P.s. I'll hit that 150 days in a Marriott this year, and raise you 50-75 more in other various hotel brands and add 41 on a cruise ship ;)

I have a Drinks Package related question but not the issue being discussed. We have been on Celebrity twice before and had a Premium Drinks Package each time when the Drinks limit price per drink has been $12. This time we are sailing from the UK where I believe the limit price is different because no tip is added (is this correct ?) - can anyone tell me what the drink price limit is on Eclipse from the UK.

Also we have 'free' Classic Package which we will need to upgrade - anyone know how much that will be pp.

Thanks

I have a Drinks Package related question but not the issue being discussed. We have been on Celebrity twice before and had a Premium Drinks Package each time when the Drinks limit price per drink has been $12. This time we are sailing from the UK where I believe the limit price is different because no tip is added (is this correct ?) - can anyone tell me what the drink price limit is on Eclipse from the UK.

Also we have 'free' Classic Package which we will need to upgrade - anyone know how much that will be pp.

Thanks

From what has been posted on here and celebrity UK it is $15 this includes your gratuity, they show an inclusive price on the menus

One other concern / question and then I'm done:

Looking at the prior listing showing what type of cocktails were included did not list margarita's. Did list a whiskey sour which is a sweet and sour mix (marg mix) and bourbon whiskey.

Looks like I will need to order a glass of sweet and sour, a shot of tequila and make my own :confused:.

Or, better yet it sounds like a hassle instead of a promotion. The BEV promotion was a deciding factor in trying X. Now I understand there is truly nothing for free but the cruise is now cheaper without the drink package and may be cheaper in the long run to do like I do on other cruises: drink and worry about the bill later.

Unfortunately it looks like if one can't get a simple marg or other simple drinks (that may or may not be included - who knows?) it looks like it's time to start looking at other cruise options outside of X as I'm still within my cancellation period and have not bought airline tix yet.

I'll wait a few days to figure out the fact from fiction in here before I decide. This whole post has a lot of supposition and would hope that X is not going to make a simple product a hassle for employees and customers. I thought that X would be a bit different that other lines as there are cheaper options out there that I seem to enjoy just fine. They obviously don't respond well to changes i.e. websites updates, stamping out rumors, etc.

I once had a drink package on a Greek cruise line and there's was simple: the bar menu had asterisks that indicated what was in the package. Easy, no hassles for us or the bar staff.

Hopefully, it is just us guessing and inventing a problem. Anyway, have a good day all.

Edited by blindrid

Hi all,

After we made recent adjustments to our beverage package, as part of our continual review process, some guests expressed disappointment that their usual drink choice would not be available. With the help of your feedback we've now updated the classic drinks package to increase the choices we offer and our guests can now enjoy over 150 different wines, beers, spirits, and a selection of non-alcoholic choices.

Hi all,

After we made recent adjustments to our beverage package, as part of our continual review process, some guests expressed disappointment that their usual drink choice would not be available. With the help of your feedback we've now updated the classic drinks package to increase the choices we offer and our guests can now enjoy over 150 different wines, beers, spirits, and a selection of non-alcoholic choices.

Thank you for posting this.

Will you be posting that list (and the same list) on the US, UK and other sites so we never have to have another series of threads like this on CC?

Thank you for posting this.

Will you be posting that list (and the same list) on the US, UK and other sites so we never have to have another series of threads like this on CC?

Yes, we're currently working to provide a list to both Cruise Critic, and to our websites. Not sure if we'll be able to share that list today, but we should have it soon.

Yes, we're currently working to provide a list to both Cruise Critic, and to our websites. Not sure if we'll be able to share that list today, but we should have it soon.

Thank you! It would also be helpful if Celebrity could clear up the confusion arising from the discrepancy between the US and UK websites - the UK website refers to a third price limit for wines but the US site does not. Many thanks.

Kinda like you booking a balcony cabin...BUT they double booked that cabin (ran out) and you are now in an inside cabin. Hey, it's a cabin, but it happens. Are they the same? Not really, but it works...a place to sleep, bathe, etc. Is that what you're trying to say?

Difference is, the contract terms require them to have you travel in the cabin type you booked or higher. It also specifically allows them to push you down a grade in exchange for a pro-rata refund for the difference in cabin fare. It happens very, very rarely, but it does happen.

Hi all,

As promised, here is a current list of what is included in the Classic Beverage package.

"The Classic Package includes spirits and cocktails priced up to $8.00 per glass, beers up to $6.00 per bottle/glass, wines up to $9.00 per glass (all per single serving) and the non-alcoholic beverages listed below. The following are examples of brands that are currently priced within the Classic Package.

Please note that drink prices are subject to change at any time without prior notice and the brands listed below are not guaranteed to be included in the Classic Package."

Classic Package Inclusions.pdf

Hi all,

As promised, here is a current list of what is included in the Classic Beverage package.

"The Classic Package includes spirits and cocktails priced up to $8.00 per glass, beers up to $6.00 per bottle/glass, wines up to $9.00 per glass (all per single serving) and the non-alcoholic beverages listed below. The following are examples of brands that are currently priced within the Classic Package.

Please note that drink prices are subject to change at any time without prior notice and the brands listed below are not guaranteed to be included in the Classic Package."

Thank You

Hopefully we will get to see a detailed list of wines sometime in the near future

cheers

Difference is, the contract terms require them to have you travel in the cabin type you booked or higher. It also specifically allows them to push you down a grade in exchange for a pro-rata refund for the difference in cabin fare. It happens very, very rarely, but it does happen.

WAIT. WHAT? So what you are saying is they can change the offer but must give you a partial refund, right?

Edited by 20pluscruises

Hi all,

I am glad to see that the wine limit was raised to $9.00 per glass of wine.

When the wine prices were adjusted recently there was not a single red or white available within the $8.00 limit. Now there are several.

Is the new limit effective immediately?

Has the limit for the wines under the Premium package been increased also? Several of the wines previously included are now as much as $4.00 over the limit.

Thank You.