Classic Drink Package - Significant Cuts in what's included (Threads Merged)

ghstudio

What I would like is some clarity on this issue; I don’t buy pigs in a poke.

I had anticipated upgrading my classic package to the premium package on our October cruise, mainly for the better wine selection. However, I would be quite dissatisfied if, after having paid an extra $11.50 per day to upgrade to the premium package, I had to pay an extra .50 to $4.00 for a glass of wine, particularly when I can buy that bottle of wine at home for $20 - $30. We are not talking premium wines here! I want variety and I want a decent selection—not top wines – decent ones for $11.50 extra per day. If the point of the matter, for me, was greater selection and not have to sign chits, then upgrading is not really going to help here. I’d just as soon drink the plonk offered in the classic package – then to pay twice for mediocre wines!

Further, why has the beer selections changed so drastically? Corona and Heineken are not premium beers. They were not originally in the premium package, why are they now? Is it because too many people, like my husband, found them sufficient to stay with the classic package? How much extra will that $10.50 a day add to Celebrity’s bottom line, if people decide it is not the cruise line for them? There is a reason lots of people do not fly spirit airlines, and the initial cost is not one of them.

This thread is giving me a hangover. Does anyone know if there is another brand of Irish Cream being offered in the classic package? I only use it in my coffee so it doesn't have to be Baileys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is giving me a hangover. Does anyone know if there is another brand of Irish Cream being offered in the classic package? I only use it in my coffee so it doesn't have to be Baileys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevinyork presently aboard Eclipse has reported Baileys IS being served to Classic package holders.

So WHAT exactly are the "Significant Cuts"??? It's been reported that Baileys (which seems to be causing the biggest kerfuffle) is in fact included - just not on "the list". The most current list (posted by Kevinyork) has a TON of white wines and at least 9 reds - plus roses and sparkling. Sapphire was never included in Classic so that's a red herring - Beefeater is on the list and that's not exactly a well brand. Please, WHAT is missing (and supported by what evidence?)? Just JD? Jim Beam us a reasonable substitute. Corona? Do you really expect the Europeans to ship that swill all the way there? I'd love to see some "Significant" facts of these alleged cuts.

Jim beam is NOT. A good substitute for JD! Just saying!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I wonder if they have also added some scotch brands. The posted list had eliminated all but one, cutty sark. If they are going to do that, then just have one gin, one rum, etc. and don't even bother to name the brand.

Edited by ghstudio

I wonder if they have also added some scotch brands. The posted list had eliminated all but one, cutty sark. If they are going to do that, then just have one gin, one rum, etc. and don't even bother to name the brand.

I'm not sure I would put mutch stock in that list. It appears to be hurriedly compiled on board the ship with little if any input from head office - there isn't even a Celebrity logo on the page. And don't forget, the key term/condition of the package is the price limits - the t's and c's don't refer to any "list" of included drinks. I think we need to see some current shipboard price lists.

I'm not sure I would put mutch stock in that list. It appears to be hurriedly compiled on board the ship with little if any input from head office - there isn't even a Celebrity logo on the page. And don't forget, the key term/condition of the package is the price limits - the t's and c's don't refer to any "list" of included drinks. I think we need to see some current shipboard price lists.

I agree...the more I look around, the more I agree that list on the eclipse was put together by someone on the eclipse as a rush job. It would be nice if Celebrity told us what really has changed....

Agreed x 3.

It should not I think be very hard at all to solve the issues.

Most of it centres around miss information, either at what one gets when purchasing or what will be available on the ship. It may or may not meet expectations in the end but it is difficult to argue against the fact "that it is not in a persons best interest to reasonably understand what they are paying for ( or in this case given as a free ? inducement to purchase the product) and for them to expect that what they get will be similar to what was offered."

How can this problem be solved? Simple really.

They have a set limit for each type of drink in the package already don't they.

I also assume that they need menus for most of the drinks along with their price in every bar on every ship so that the 3 people left on this planet without the package can pay for them or so they can charge the plebs (me)on the classic their full price.

I also assume that these menus are not hand written so why can't they just provide a link to the menus on their webpage and as they are changed then the CURRENT prices will automatically update.

Why is this so hard to work out or implement?

Edited by woodyren

Agreed x 3.

It should not I think be very hard at all to solve the issues.

Most of it centres around miss information, either at what one gets when purchasing or what will be available on the ship. It may or may not meet expectations in the end but it is difficult to argue against the fact "that it is not in a persons best interest to reasonably understand what they are paying for ( or in this case given as a free ? inducement to purchase the product) and for them to expect that what they get will be similar to what was offered."

How can this problem be solved? Simple really.

They have a set limit for each type of drink in the package already don't they.

N

I also assume that they need menus for most of the drinks along with their price in every bar on every ship so that the 3 people left on this planet without the package can pay for them or so they can charge the plebs (me)on the classic their full price.

I also assume that these menus are not hand written so why can't they just provide a link to the menus on their webpage and as they are changed then the CURRENT prices will automatically update.

Why is this so hard to work out or implement?

Well said.

Come on Celebrity - post the new guide lines for Classic and Premium packages so that it is clear what is available on each package. Or are you hoping this will blow over?

Unhappy passengers on board can really upset the ambiance for everyone - many not returning because they will feel that 'this is what a Celebrity cruise is like!' In my case this would be because you are SEEMINGLY not serving Baileys (I only have one last thing at night:eek:) and no Bombay Sapphire. In themselves these drinks are very insignificant but I did believe when I booked they would be included.

Now here is the crux of the matter - IF I BOOKED ANOTHER CRUISE WITH CELEBRITY WHAT CHANGES COULD I EXPECT WITHOUT NOTICE.

According to my TA, there has been a take up of 80% of the drinks package leaving 20% who either dont drink or like me, dont drink enough to warrant a package.

We all expect prices to go up, (although tactfully they could have done it differently), but it has been reported here that prices have gone up by some 40%. To me, that seems an abnormally high increase and can only lead me to believe that as well as the shift in included drinks, it is to help cover the miscalculation (or maybe planned) cost of the "free" package perks. I am, as well as the low intake package holders, supplementing drinkers and this is not an A La Carte item.

My finger has been hovering over the send button for a B2B 2016 cruise, and have to admit that this, together with the direction X appears to be heading and the lack of respect its showing its loyal customers, has put me off cruising with them and have decided against booking. This is a shame as the one I found was one of the few good deals around - without packages - but who knows how good it will be, or the style it will be, in nearly 22 months time

According to my TA, there has been a take up of 80% of the drinks package leaving 20% who either dont drink or like me, dont drink enough to warrant a package.

We all expect prices to go up, (although tactfully they could have done it differently), but it has been reported here that prices have gone up by some 40%. To me, that seems an abnormally high increase and can only lead me to believe that as well as the shift in included drinks, it is to help cover the miscalculation (or maybe planned) cost of the "free" package perks. I am, as well as the low intake package holders, supplementing drinkers and this is not an A La Carte item.

My finger has been hovering over the send button for a B2B 2016 cruise, and have to admit that this, together with the direction X appears to be heading and the lack of respect its showing its loyal customers, has put me off cruising with them and have decided against booking. This is a shame as the one I found was one of the few good deals around - without packages - but who knows how good it will be, or the style it will be, in nearly 22 months time

Since we have quite awhile til our December cruise, I think I'll wait til dust settles and see where the prices end up and how Celebrity handles this situation. Then I'll compare costs, itineraries, etc and possibly change to another cruiseline. We've had good experiences on other cruiselines (except Carnival....really dislike their smoking policies...can't stand the odor around the ship).

Since we have quite awhile til our December cruise, I think I'll wait til dust settles and see where the prices end up and how Celebrity handles this situation. Then I'll compare costs, itineraries, etc and possibly change to another cruiseline. We've had good experiences on other cruiselines (except Carnival....really dislike their smoking policies...can't stand the odor around the ship).

Although a decision has been made on my part for now, I am not going to cut my nose to spite my face either. I too will watch with interest how X develops, and would reconsider if the circumstances suit me (and DW of course), but in the meantime will look elsewhere.

Never say never.

I'm not sure I would put much stock in that list. It appears to be hurriedly compiled on board the ship with little if any input from head office - there isn't even a Celebrity logo on the page.

Indeed...I noticed that they have included what I believe is a Cab Sav "Poggio al Tufo Tomasi" under the White wine list. :p

cheers

I too noticed the typed sheet of drinks now available on the Eclipse for the classic package and so decided to write to Celebrity asking if this was correct and is it fleet wide or just on the Eclipse where many passengers have the 123 offer.

Waiting for a reply - will post when it comes.

Indeed...I noticed that they have included what I believe is a Cab Sav "Poggio al Tufo Tomasi" under the White wine list. :p

cheers

Perhaps it was a typo and they meant Sav blanc although I doubt it. more like a rushed list to satisfy a passenger.:D

We must be quite unusual in holding off booking until the GTY rooms became available (no inclusive packages :)) because we did not want to pay the package inflated prices of the various promotions that X seem addicted to.

Compare the rates you paid to that of the GTY rooms.

On our next cruise the difference is $2000 p/p for 7 nights (XC vs C3), or what I think of as an expensive 'freebie'.

Please go back to normal simple pricing and then offer the packages, possibly with seasonal discounts, to those who want them.

'Modern Luxury' should be about choice to customise the experience.

Please go back to normal simple pricing and then offer the packages, possibly with seasonal discounts, to those who want them.

'Modern Luxury' should be about choice to customise the experience.

Not sure how one isn't able to customize their experience today....lots of choices and add ons to elect from. Considerably more today than 10 or 15 years ago in fact, and the trend lis to add even more choices for customization (coming Gastro pub and additional menu offerings for a fee there as but one example). Or the recent addition of the S class specialty dinging and BLU that have now been rolled out fleet wide.

In today's modern world, moving pricing is the best way to maximize revenue. Look at hotels and airlines. Yod'd be hard pressed to find 10 people on a flight that paid the exact same fare. Hotels, use all kinds of metrics to modify room rates.

When I was with Marriott, they had a position at corporate called Revenue Manager. This person basically looked over about 10 or so hotels and checked bookings on a weekly basis for the next entire year and added discount rates and removed them as bookings were slower or faster. They looked to historical prior year data, they looked at current and recent booking trends to see if bookings were going fast or slow and raised or lowered rates based on that. They looked at any special events that may be happening in a hotel's district to adjust rates up as needed. They looked at any special events or groups booked into the hotel and.or its ballrooms and function rooms. Then as it comes closer to the final day, rates would plummet if there were lots of open rooms still that may go unsold, or rise dramatically if there were just a few rooms left. Rates would adjust DAILY ion some properties based on trends. I worked in a hotel that would see average rates of $39 in the winter months, yet sell out daily during the summer for $299 a night.

Celebrity is in the same boat (pun intended :D ). Some weeks they have huge demand so cabin fares are high while the same itinerary the following week may be very slow (think week before summer vacation ends and week after).

We no longer live in a slow-paced static world, things change rapidly, and cruise lines need to maximize revenue by changing cabin fares and other revenue stream pricing regularly and often. Especially with all the other lines out there they have to watch what they are doing as well and follow suit in many cases, especially with regard to the crowded Caribbean market.

Fortunately, computers these days help develop forecast models and can be fed with all sorts of data - weather trend and predictions, holiday periods, prior sailing data, other company sailing data etc. - and can do a great job of suggesting pricing changes. Similar to modern weather forecasters now can model fairly accurately storms.

If they were to go back to annual static pricing printed in a brochure, shareholders would rightfully be in an uproar and it would have a huge negative impact on the bottom line, as they have larded over time that model wasn't as efficient at maximizing occupancy and average daily rate. As ships sail full these days, they HAVE to look to enhance the average daily rate to enhance revenue and therefore the bottom line.

When I booked last year in the fall, I noticed too, the classic-package is not really free (where is something free in this world).

If I could I would not book with Celebrity again.

Princess is serving me just fine.

But next week is my first Celebrity Cruise and if they don't really work a magical job, I can save me this stress of booking with a company not being reliable. Thank you bad no Than you!!!!!!!!!!!

Cle-guy, Agree - cruise prices should fluctuate with demand as normal.

A slight misunderstanding.....I was wishing that X offer promos on the packages e.g. buy classic, get premium if this helps fill ships or obtain the on-board spend they need.

Edited by helpthejuggler

Not sure how one isn't able to customize their experience today....lots of choices and add ons to elect from. Considerably more today than 10 or 15 years ago in fact, and the trend lis to add even more choices for customization (coming Gastro pub and additional menu offerings for a fee there as but one example). Or the recent addition of the S class specialty dinging and BLU that have now been rolled out fleet wide.

Celebrity's pricing at this point is confusing to most including their own agents and certainly to potential cruisers. They offer "lowest price guarantee" and in the fine print say that doesn't include matching a number of fares, including travel agent fares. They then show travel agent fares on their own Celebrity site without even telling you. In some cases, you can't even find out what the standard fare is without calling celebrity....or requesting a price match and having them tell you, "oh that's a travel agent rate" They offer the classic drink package or OBC if you book on board which can be combined with one other benefit as an incentive to book on board, but then when you apply for the stockholder benefit closer to sailing (with no other perks) you are told that one isn't combineable...which one is right? I could go on, but I'm too confused to remember any more right now.

I too am in favor of clear (no fine print) pricing...and then let us add our own perks.....or make one offer at a time. I'm ok with changing the price every 20 minutes if they want...but it's the price....no fine print.

I also understand that folks are driven to buy when they see an offer they like and some like one offer, others like another. We are used to seeing $1000 plus $300 OBC one week and then $700 with no OBC the next. Keep it simple....when you get fancy, everyone gets confused, people get angry, people complain in the social media, people feel cheated, etc. Given our current discussions on CC, don't sell one thing and deliver something that's perceived as significantly different than the offer.

Once more....keep it simple...go back to the basics and stop trying to be cute (some would say sneaky) in your pricing.

Edited by ghstudio

I agree...the more I look around, the more I agree that list on the eclipse was put together by someone on the eclipse as a rush job. It would be nice if Celebrity told us what really has changed....

GH

Haven't seen any one mention it but remember Eclipse out of Southhampton is the only ship where the tip is rolled into the price. Could be causing some confusion.

Edited by dkjretired

GH

Haven't seen any one mention it but remember Eclipse out of Southhampton is the only ship where the tip is rolled into the price. Could be causing some confusion.

It certainly is possible that someone on board was given the task to come up with a list of drinks on the classic package, understood that the price limit was $8 so they checked to see what drinks on board were under $8 and listed them....but the onboard price list they used had already been adjusted for UK sailings so an $8 drink now showed as $9.20...so it wasn't put on the list. That actually would be understandable and an honest mistake.

On the other hand, I think that would have been caught by now in HQ, if not on the ship and there would be a new list or some statement here or that other social media site on the topic. Having said that, it wouldn't be a bad way to cover a bad decision.....

Edited by ghstudio

GH

That's right! And then for the Eclipse sailings they raised the limits on the packages to cover the AI pricing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app