Classic Drink Package - Significant Cuts in what's included (Threads Merged)

ghstudio

Not sure how one isn't able to customize their experience today....lots of choices and add ons to elect from. Considerably more today than 10 or 15 years ago in fact, and the trend lis to add even more choices for customization (coming Gastro pub and additional menu offerings for a fee there as but one example). Or the recent addition of the S class specialty dinging and BLU that have now been rolled out fleet wide.

In today's modern world, moving pricing is the best way to maximize revenue. Look at hotels and airlines. Yod'd be hard pressed to find 10 people on a flight that paid the exact same fare. Hotels, use all kinds of metrics to modify room rates.

When I was with Marriott, they had a position at corporate called Revenue Manager. This person basically looked over about 10 or so hotels and checked bookings on a weekly basis for the next entire year and added discount rates and removed them as bookings were slower or faster. They looked to historical prior year data, they looked at current and recent booking trends to see if bookings were going fast or slow and raised or lowered rates based on that. They looked at any special events that may be happening in a hotel's district to adjust rates up as needed. They looked at any special events or groups booked into the hotel and.or its ballrooms and function rooms. Then as it comes closer to the final day, rates would plummet if there were lots of open rooms still that may go unsold, or rise dramatically if there were just a few rooms left. Rates would adjust DAILY ion some properties based on trends. I worked in a hotel that would see average rates of $39 in the winter months, yet sell out daily during the summer for $299 a night.

Celebrity is in the same boat (pun intended :D ). Some weeks they have huge demand so cabin fares are high while the same itinerary the following week may be very slow (think week before summer vacation ends and week after).

We no longer live in a slow-paced static world, things change rapidly, and cruise lines need to maximize revenue by changing cabin fares and other revenue stream pricing regularly and often. Especially with all the other lines out there they have to watch what they are doing as well and follow suit in many cases, especially with regard to the crowded Caribbean market.

Fortunately, computers these days help develop forecast models and can be fed with all sorts of data - weather trend and predictions, holiday periods, prior sailing data, other company sailing data etc. - and can do a great job of suggesting pricing changes. Similar to modern weather forecasters now can model fairly accurately storms.

If they were to go back to annual static pricing printed in a brochure, shareholders would rightfully be in an uproar and it would have a huge negative impact on the bottom line, as they have larded over time that model wasn't as efficient at maximizing occupancy and average daily rate. As ships sail full these days, they HAVE to look to enhance the average daily rate to enhance revenue and therefore the bottom line.

The A La Carte system, which I know you are an advocate of, is no longer A La Carte when it comes to drinks packages. All is hunky Dory if you are a drinker, but if not or a moderate one like me, I for one are paying for these packages which no doubt was reflected in the inflated cabin price and in the 40% price increase on individual drinks, The 40% increase gives me a choice to pay or not, but the inflated cabin prices do not. If X want to increase their bottom line or sell more cabins using drinkers - then drinkers should pay for it. I see now that X are offering the package only if booked on board - that in simple terms means that those not on board are subsidising those that are. I too wish X would go back to a base price for the ammenites we all share and the cabins we choose and any extras are paid for A La Carte. Those that want a drink package should pay for it (which was the case before the perks) and those that dont can have the choice again

The A La Carte system, which I know you are an advocate of, is no longer A La Carte when it comes to drinks packages. All is hunky Dory if you are a drinker, but if not or a moderate one like me, I for one are paying for these packages which no doubt was reflected in the inflated cabin price and in the 40% price increase on individual drinks, The 40% increase gives me a choice to pay or not, but the inflated cabin prices do not. If X want to increase their bottom line or sell more cabins using drinkers - then drinkers should pay for it. I see now that X are offering the package only if booked on board - that in simple terms means that those not on board are subsidising those that are. I too wish X would go back to a base price for the ammenites we all share and the cabins we choose and any extras are paid for A La Carte. Those that want a drink package should pay for it (which was the case before the perks) and those that dont can have the choice again

You're offered an OBC instead of drink package should you choose - my view could be I'm subsidizing your OBC by taking a drink package which has a cost NOWHERE NEAR it's selling price.

Oh, and please share the price list with which you were able to calculate the 40% price increase for individual drinks - most of us gave yet to see a new one. Thanks!

inflated cabin price

Check out this chart of X fares over the last few years. This season fares are actually down except for suits which have risen fairly dramatically. Of course this is fleet-wide and individual sailings and ships will have anomalies.

http://www.***************/finder.md?id_line=2

Well I forgot its not allowed here so it *** out. It's that fishing site for cruises.

Most interesting to me is how much higher the 12-13 season was versus the periods before and after.

Edited by cle-guy

You're offered an OBC instead of drink package should you choose - my view could be I'm subsidizing your OBC by taking a drink package which has a cost NOWHERE NEAR it's selling price.

Oh, and please share the price list with which you were able to calculate the 40% price increase for individual drinks - most of us gave yet to see a new one. Thanks!

X will have to get the revenue equivalent of the retail price on the drinks package as it is an important part of their income. Saying that the actual cost of the alcohol makes the package a cheap option for them is not true as they loose potential income - unless of course someone supplements it.

The onboard credit has been $300 per cabin - $150 each. That is the retail value - the actual cost value once I spend it is minimal compared to the drinks package - cost of 3 dinners in Olympic .

I dont care whether its OBC, gratuities, drink packages, - whatever - my point was to have the base price and have the choice A La Carte for everything else. You want drinks - you pay for it. I want OBC - I'll gift myself it. I dont care to be involved with what you want just as I dont care for you to be involved in what I want. I'll pay for the things I want and you do the same.

Oh, and by the way, the 40 % was taken from this thread if you care to read it from people reporting the price increases that had taken their drinks out of the Classic package - which was what this thread was about :rolleyes: Thanks :p

Oh, and by the way, the 40 % was taken from this thread if you care to read it from people reporting the price increases that had taken their drinks out of the Classic package - which was what this thread was about :rolleyes: Thanks :p

Rest assured, I've read every word - plenty of speculation, innuendo and contradiction - not a shred of evidence. :rolleyes:

Check out this chart of X fares over the last few years. This season fares are actually down except for suits which have risen fairly dramatically. Of course this is fleet-wide and individual sailings and ships will have anomalies.

http://www.***************/finder.md?id_line=2

Well I forgot its not allowed here so it *** out. It's that fishing site for cruises.

Most interesting to me is how much higher the 12-13 season was versus the periods before and after.

I wasnt looking at the longer term figures, but those that were in effect either side of the promotion. The swings that happen in both directions are far too high to be just supply and demand. I have no doubt that the promo's are used to fill cabins which in turn would affect the pricing. Promo's fill the cabins - promo's end so prices come down to compensate until new promo when they go up again. I just dont like the idea of someone or the big black box in Miami trying to dupe me into buying something rather than leaving it up to me how I spend my bucks. If the product is right then they will get my business anyway. Tricks and gimmicks may work some people, I find it disrespectful they expect us all to fall for it - their "upscale" product by itself should be enough

Rest assured, I've read every word - plenty of speculation, innuendo and contradiction - not a shred of evidence. :rolleyes:

No m'lud

But whether its true - false - -imaginary -innuendo - contradiction - it really doesnt matter even if there has been no change whatsoever - my opinion is that I prefer A La Carte regardless. Its all about Choice.

I don't know how it affects which drinks are included on the Classic package but just been on Celebrity.co.uk and the value of the drinks has been increased:

http://www.celebritycruises.co.uk/life-on-board/wine-and-beverage-packages/premium-and-classic-packages/

Classic alcoholic package

Upgrade your cruise experience and pay one price to enjoy all of the benefits of our Classic Non-Alcoholic package featuring beers up to $7 per serving, wine by the glass up u[ to $10.50 per serving, and spirits and cocktails up to $9.50 per serving.

$56.35 per guest, per day.

I presume these prices include gratuities, I contacted Celebrity who confirmed head office has increased the value of drinks as part of their annual review.

Ha! That made me waggle me wig! :D

Glad to be of service Sir

Just had another e-mail promo sent through -" Free Romance Package"

Oceania sent me :-

free cabin upgrade

free drinks

free airfare

£99 business class upgrade

This little lot should upset those that have already booked

C&M

2nd passenger goes free

P&O

Inside cabin from £1699 to £699 if booking gty

Look what X have done - they're all at it

I don't know how it affects which drinks are included on the Classic package but just been on Celebrity.co.uk and the value of the drinks has been increased:

http://www.celebritycruises.co.uk/life-on-board/wine-and-beverage-packages/premium-and-classic-packages/

Upgrade your cruise experience and pay one price to enjoy all of the benefits of our Classic Non-Alcoholic package featuring beers up to $7 per serving, wine by the glass up u[ to $10.50 per serving, and spirits and cocktails up to $9.50 per serving.

I presume these prices include gratuities, I contacted Celebrity who confirmed head office has increased the value of drinks as part of their annual review.

Interesting, never caught this before - three prices - one for wine, one for beer and one for cocktails - inconsistent with the way the package is described on the NA site which has only two price clips. Equates to something like $6 for beer, $9 for wine and $8 for cocktails (adjusted to remove the 15% as per the NA pricing practice). Just what we need - MORE confusion.

The only increase is to show the price with the tips included which better suits the UK market by listing the total price and not being surprised by the additional 15%

That is exactly the same price that is on the US website except the UK pricing includes the 15% (pkg and drinks)

The US price is $49 + 15% + $56.35

The US beer price is $6 + 15% = $6,90 (inc in UK pricing ie $7)

The only increase is to show the price with the tips included which better suits the UK market by listing the total price and not being surprised by the additional 15%

That is exactly the same price that is on the US website except the UK pricing includes the 15% (pkg and drinks)

The US price is $49 + 15% + $56.35

The US beer price is $6 + 15% = $6,90 (inc in UK pricing ie $7)

No, read it again. A completely different price clip for wine - $10.50.

Glad to be of service Sir

Just had another e-mail promo sent through -" Free Romance Package"

Oceania sent me :-

free cabin upgrade

free drinks

free airfare

£99 business class upgrade

This little lot should upset those that have already booked

C&M

2nd passenger goes free

P&O

Inside cabin from £1699 to £699 if booking gty

Look what X have done - they're all at it

Ever get the sense the cruise industry is adopting the Vegas model? Free food, free drinks, free romance?

imagejpg1.jpg

Can you do the math for me lol What would $10.50 be without the 15% gratuity? I can firgure out how to add it on but not how to take it off

10.50 - 15% = 8.70

Wrong! That way, 8.70 + 15% would be ~ 10.00

Here we go:

115 (%) = 10.50

100 (%) = 10.50 / 115 * 100 = ~9.13

Edited by UniPac

Can you do the math for me lol What would $10.50 be without the 15% gratuity? I can firgure out how to add it on but not how to take it off:confused::D

Divide $10.50 by 1.15. (10.50/1.15 = 9.13)

Dave

Wrong! That way, 8.70 + 15% would be ~ 10.00

Here we go:

115 (%) = 10.50

100 (%) = 10.50 / 115 * 100 = ~9.13

My mistake - dont know how i did that.

Just to add to the mix - The VAT here is 17.5% = 9.02:confused:

My mistake - dont know how i did that.

Just to add to the mix - The VAT here is 17.5% = 9.02:confused:

Guess it won't change anything if it is 9.02 or 9.13 - as the wine are always like 9.00 or 9.50 so the 9.00 will be included, the 9.50 not.

Wait... Maybe the NOW even have 9.15 as a price onboard :D

Guess it won't change anything if it is 9.02 or 9.13 - as the wine are always like 9.00 or 9.50 so the 9.00 will be included, the 9.50 not.

Wait... Maybe the NOW even have 9.15 as a price onboard :D

People, the whole point is they have introduced a THIRD price clip for wine under the classic package - $9 instead of $8 (excluding tip - 10.50 including the tip). Still $8 and $6 for cocktails and beer respectively.