Classic Drink Package - Significant Cuts in what's included (Threads Merged)

ghstudio

I really wonder why Celebrity comes on here to answer anything. When they do, many just beat up on them demanding answers to this or that; it is a no win for them. They would be best served to just stay out of the fray.

Probably true, but take a look at

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=5731

Like it or not, we (cc participants) seem to be weighted towards the very passengers celebrity is trying to attract so although we are a small percent of all passengers, we may be very representative of the folks they care most about.

Zuckerberg's site may be a more serious problem for them because many of the younger folks they are trying to attract do follow there..the new social media.

Edited by ghstudio

Probably true, but take a look at

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=5731

Like it or not, we (cc participants) seem to be weighted towards the very passengers celebrity is trying to attract so although we are a small percent of all passengers, we may be very representative of the folks they care most about.

Zuckerberg's site may be a more serious problem for them because many of the younger folks they are trying to attract do follow there..the new social media.

Hmmmm! Let me see, some 300 posted posted to the poll, out of 35,000+ passengers that sail every week on Celebrity ships. Not a big enough percentage in my book. Some really think they are more important than they are.

Just back from the Summit. A man at the bar ordered a shot of whiskey with a side of beer.

Yes that's old time but not something unusual at working class bars. He had to order the whiskey first then wait five minutes to order a beer. It didn't bother him, he waited.

I had the premium package and it was ok. Charged once for a beer and had to go to the front desk to have the charge removed.

Just back from the Summit. A man at the bar ordered a shot of whiskey with a side of beer.

Yes that's old time but not something unusual at working class bars. He had to order the whiskey first then wait five minutes to order a beer. It didn't bother him, he waited.

hmmm. Wonder what if he ordered a "boilermaker" instead ?:D

I really wonder why Celebrity comes on here to answer anything. When they do, many just beat up on them demanding answers to this or that; it is a no win for them. They would be best served to just stay out of the fray.

Presumably, some think that everybody should only post happy thoughts, and be satisfied with everything that is done. Nobody should be dissatisfied when they take something away that had been paid for.

So WHAT exactly are the "Significant Cuts"??? It's been reported that Baileys (which seems to be causing the biggest kerfuffle) is in fact included - just not on "the list". The most current list (posted by Kevinyork) has a TON of white wines and at least 9 reds - plus roses and sparkling. Sapphire was never included in Classic so that's a red herring - Beefeater is on the list and that's not exactly a well brand. Please, WHAT is missing (and supported by what evidence?)? Just JD? Jim Beam us a reasonable substitute. Corona? Do you really expect the Europeans to ship that swill all the way there? I'd love to see some "Significant" facts of these alleged cuts.

Presumably, some think that everybody should only post happy thoughts, and be satisfied with everything that is done. Nobody should be dissatisfied when they take something away that had been paid for.
i have no issue with negative posts, but since this is a public forum, one should also expect post from those that disagree. I've been told over and over that my opinions are wrong, if I liked something or didn't encounter something, so should I say that some don't want positive posts, only negative ones.

So WHAT exactly are the "Significant Cuts"??? It's been reported that Baileys (which seems to be causing the biggest kerfuffle) is in fact included - just not on "the list". The most current list (posted by Kevinyork) has a TON of white wines and at least 9 reds - plus roses and sparkling. Sapphire was never included in Classic so that's a red herring - Beefeater is on the list and that's not exactly a well brand. Please, WHAT is missing (and supported by what evidence?)? Just JD? Jim Beam us a reasonable substitute. Corona? Do you really expect the Europeans to ship that swill all the way there? I'd love to see some "Significant" facts of these alleged cuts.

How about going back to post 1 in this thread and taking a look at the two lists. It's not one or two items removed....it's more like 40% or more (I haven't actually counted). Not sure what significant is, but over 20% would seem significant to me. I haven't checked today, but as of yesterday, the UK list was still there and referenced from celebrity's web site. I posted a few messages ago what is showing today on Celebrity's US web site. The lists from the ship are both different and show far less choices.

Edited by ghstudio

How about going back to post 1 in this thread and taking a look at the two lists. It's not one or two items removed....it's more like 40% or more (I haven't actually counted). Not sure what significant is, but over 20% would seem significant to me.

Personally I was most worried about the wines.

I compared the 2013 December MDR wine list and the 1st post in the thread

Sparkling wine - 2 on December and 2 now

White wine - 5 on December - 4 now

Rose wine - 3 on December - 2 now

Red wine - 5 on December - 4 now

So there are some changes. Would be nice to know the current pricing for other wines also - to compare what is currently included in the premium package.

Each of us are, as expected, interested in different areas. I just tried to count the two areas I look at (and may have miscounted but not by much):

Scotch 8 on UK list 2 on current list 75% less

Vodka 16 on UK list 6 on current list 62.5% less

I'm sure some will suggest that 2 or 6 is enough or all scotch is the same....but unless you believe a mercedes is equal to a fiat 600, they're both cars, these are, to me, significant numbers.

I'm just keep trying to inject facts into this emotional discussion....

Edited by ghstudio

How about going back to post 1 in this thread and taking a look at the two lists. It's not one or two items removed....it's more like 40% or more (I haven't actually counted). Not sure what significant is, but over 20% would seem significant to me. I haven't checked today, but as of yesterday, the UK list was still there and referenced from celebrity's web site. I posted a few messages ago what is showing today on Celebrity's US web site. The lists from the ship are both different and show far less choices.

Forget the list for just a moment. Baileys is NOT on "the list", yet a poster aboard the Eclipse reports it is indeed AVAILABLE. Again, WHAT are the actual cuts?

Personally I was most worried about the wines.

I compared the 2013 December MDR wine list and the 1st post in the thread

Sparkling wine - 2 on December and 2 now

White wine - 5 on December - 4 now

Rose wine - 3 on December - 2 now

Red wine - 5 on December - 4 now

So there are some changes. Would be nice to know the current pricing for other wines also - to compare what is currently included in the premium package.

Yes, well, part of the bigger problem is the number of lists circulating - some valid? some not? The one posted by Kevinyork who is presently on board Eclipse lists 15 whites, 9 reds, 4 sparkling and 3 roses. These may not be available in all bars or restaurants but many report that the somms and bartenders will sometimes arrange for a wine not normally stocked by that venue to be stocked.

I'm just keep trying to inject facts into this emotional discussion....

Appreciate that - but it's not always easy. It's not at all clear to me which of these lists is valid and whether they are indicative/representative of what's available (or as some suggest, promised) - there have been reports of items not on lists being available. There is no consistency amongst websites, printed lists and live reports. The whole reason for my post was to draw attention to this.

Appreciate that - but it's not always easy. It's not at all clear to me which of these lists is valid and whether they are indicative/representative of what's available (or as some suggest, promised) - there have been reports of items not on lists being available. There is no consistency amongst websites, printed lists and live reports. The whole reason for my post was to draw attention to this.

However, all of the information, the sheets are either from celebrity's own websites or copies from the ship this week. We have no clue from celebrity if the shipboard list is the official current list across the fleet...heck I just read in one of the threads that someone got Bailey's on the classic package. Celebrity Cruise (the ID here) is clearly staying as far from this discussion as he/she can, perhaps because there are no facts to post...perhaps they are reassessing the lists or the packages...we are only left to guess and hypothesize.

We can only deal with what we have....I think I've posted accurate facts and pointers....if I'm wrong, hopefully celebrity cruise or someone will correct the information.

However, all of the information, the sheets are either from celebrity's own websites or copies from the ship this week. We have no clue from celebrity if the shipboard list is the official current list across the fleet...heck I just read in one of the threads that someone got Bailey's on the classic package. Celebrity Cruise (the ID here) is clearly staying as far from this discussion as he/she can, perhaps because there are no facts to post...perhaps they are reassessing the lists or the packages...we are only left to guess and hypothesize.

We can only deal with what we have....I think I've posted accurate facts and pointers....if I'm wrong, hopefully celebrity cruise or someone will correct the information.

It's looking like everything is in flex and is being implemented on a ship-by-ship, cruise-by-cruise basis.

If Baileys and small Martinis are any example then this post from Rubydoobydoo , who sailed on the last Eclipse cruise, to kevinyork , who is currently on Eclipse, shows the confusion.

Thanks for taking the time to post Kevin

It seems to me that things change depending who serves you, are you saying that Baileys is back on the classic package, it was most definitely off last week, seems like Celebrity may have back tracked on a few things

Refused the smaller martinis last week, this week they are ok ?

I don't think the ship and head office are communicating very well, they must have had a flood of calls by now complaining so maybe things are slowly filtering through to the ships

Enjoy the rest of your cruise

It's looking like everything is in flex and is being implemented on a ship-by-ship, cruise-by-cruise basis.

If Baileys and small Martinis are any example then this post from Rubydoobydoo , who sailed on the last Eclipse cruise, to kevinyork , who is currently on Eclipse, shows the confusion.

Thanks for taking the time to post Kevin

It seems to me that things change depending who serves you, are you saying that Baileys is back on the classic package, it was most definitely off last week, seems like Celebrity may have back tracked on a few things

Refused the smaller martinis last week, this week they are ok ?

I don't think the ship and head office are communicating very well, they must have had a flood of calls by now complaining so maybe things are slowly filtering through to the ships

Enjoy the rest of your cruise

And we should also remember that even when things were supposedly not in flux there were occasional reports of Martini bartenders denying the "small" Martinis among other missteps.

If you look at Preisman's Bar list for the Reflection sailing in Dec, Bailey's was in the Premium package!!! That was five months ago so not a current change.

http://www.thepreismans.com/ecarib_reflection_menus.htm#ensemble

But if you look on the Celebrity website it's still listed as $7 - well within the $8 Classic package limit so not a change at all.

If you look at Preisman's Bar list for the Reflection sailing in Dec, Bailey's was in the Premium package!!! That was five months ago so not a current change.

Sorry but when I booked in Jan. both Baileys and JD were in the classic package. That is one reason I chose the drink plan as our option.

Duplicate oops

Edited by Christine Frances

That's actually a fascinating list....because several of the items on that list are on today's classic list, the uk classic list and the old on-board classic list which no one has actually posted.

I think the list posted by thepreismans and in celebrity's literature may have been also misleading....it appears to be a list of liquor available on the premier package which of course includes several brands that were always available on the classic package. That makes sense since they are, by definition, under the premium package limit.

That certainly is not a list of liquors only available with the premium package.

Are we both looking at the same list? shows cutty sark, frangelico ??

Edited by ghstudio

That's actually a fascinating list....because several of the items on that list are on today's classic list, the uk classic list and the old on-board classic list which no one has actually posted.

I think the list posted by thepreismans and in celebrity's literature may have been also misleading....it appears to be a list of liquor available on the premier package which of course includes several brands that were always available on the classic package. That makes sense since they are, by definition, under the premium package limit.

That certainly is not a list of liquors only available with the premium package.

Are we both looking at the same list? shows cutty sark, frangelico ??

Knowing how accurate their web site is, several drinks could be on both lists.

But if you look on the Celebrity website it's still listed as $7 - well within the $8 Classic package limit so not a change at all.

Can you please tell me where you can see the actual price per drink? All I could find is the Pkg ad - the one with the labels lol

Can you please tell me where you can see the actual price per drink? All I could find is the Pkg ad - the one with the labels lol

Sorry, I was out for a ride. Click on this link for the menu for Blu, then select the dessert section - liqueurs are listed at the bottom.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard/level3Type1.do?pagename=onboard_celebrity_restaurants_cafes_blu&parentpage=onboard_celebrity_restaurants_cafes&parentpage=onboard_celebrity_restaurants_cafes