Classic Drink Package - Significant Cuts in what's included (Threads Merged)

ghstudio

Can anyone direct us to a copy of what was available on the classic package in March when we booked, and what is currently on the classic package ?

I would agree with the earlier post that ,once a booking has been made, the content of that package should not change under UK consumer law .

Has Celebrity been challenged on this?

They really need to respond to these posts and consider the negative impact such tactics may have.

See post 1. I'm not sure when the uk site stopped pointing to that page though...it's no longer referenced

Here you go a link to the page it is on

http://www.celebritycruises.co.uk/cruise-deals/world-of-extras.aspx

click where it says drinks menu .pdf opens with the drinks list the .pdf states at the top

"What's included in our Classic Beverage Package?"

Just imagine all the people without drink packages! Now they have to pay more for all their drinks since the price of drinks raised up. I assume not everyone on a cruise has some type of drink package. Some picked free tips and some free obc

The list doesnt show what cocktails are included. If we wanted a pina colada (our favorite drink) and aren't particular on what type of rum is put in it (just coconut is fine by us) are we covered by a classic package?

If you are looking for drinks that may not be on the classic package, consider upgrading to premium. On our last cruise we paid full price for the premium package. If I order something over - I pay the difference, believe it was $11 something per day per person and either one or both in the cabin can upgrade, we upgraded from the free classic package this time. With classic, if its over you pay the full price. Now if the Martini Bar or the Molecular bar is over the premium.... I will not be happy.....:mad:

The thing is you actually don't know if the martini bar or molecular bar are included because there is apparently nothing stopping celebrity from raising those prices over the limit....and it could happen the day you board your cruise.

The list doesnt show what cocktails are included. If we wanted a pina colada (our favorite drink) and aren't particular on what type of rum is put in it (just coconut is fine by us) are we covered by a classic package?

The only possible answer is probably....irrespective of what anyone says here. Without a list, there's no way to know, and even with a list, you have no way to know if that will change the day you embark on your cruise, as proven by the most recent change.

Just imagine all the people without drink packages! Now they have to pay more for all their drinks since the price of drinks raised up. I assume not everyone on a cruise has some type of drink package. Some picked free tips and some free obc

We had Piña colada, Bali hai, and sunset breeze all included on the classic

A number of drinks are no longer on the classic drink package which would indicate that many prices have been increased over $8 in the past week. Bailey's is just one example. The only scotch left on the classic package is cutty sark, etc.

A new drink price list would be much appreciated....and I wouldn't count on the new calculator to be correct at this point.

Perhaps a result of all the 'pick your perk' / '123 go' deals. I am disappointed in that to raise the cost more than $4 is too much.:(

The drink prices have certainly increased. It's disappointing. At least I didn't pay for the 123 promo but if you had paid for it and had done so on the basis of the drinks included, then those drinks were excluded then I wonder where this sits with consumer legislation if you'd booked with an Aussie TA or through the Aussie celebrity website. You can't just change the product after purchase.

Something is not right here:confused: If that list is off the Eclipse, she is now sailing out of Southampton!!! Do US bookings on these sailings get one choice of drinks and people that booked out of the UK get another selection of drinks in their package!! Don't think so!

Something is not right here:confused: If that list is off the Eclipse, she is now sailing out of Southampton!!! Do US bookings on these sailings get one choice of drinks and people that booked out of the UK get another selection of drinks in their package!! Don't think so!

I think everyone has the same included on board a cruise....and I think it's the one we've seen on this thread. Different lists have been around including the list included on menus on board on previous sailings, the one on the uk web site that is apparently no longer referenced etc. celebrity has confirmed nothing nor have they indicated any change in the premium package inclusions or other drink price increases that may have occurred. It seems to be a change in flight....

One might hope that the celebrity cruise rep who monitors cc would give us all the changes that have occurred officially. Andy is not that person.

Here you go a link to the page it is on

http://www.celebritycruises.co.uk/cruise-deals/world-of-extras.aspx

click where it says drinks menu .pdf opens with the drinks list the .pdf states at the top

"What's included in our Classic Beverage Package?"

I think everyone has the same included on board a cruise....and I think it's the one we've seen on this thread. Different lists have been around including the list included on menus on board on previous sailings, the one on the uk web site that is apparently no longer referenced etc. celebrity has confirmed nothing nor have they indicated any change in the premium package inclusions or other drink price increases that may have occurred. It seems to be a change in flight....

One might hope that the celebrity cruise rep who monitors cc would give us all the changes that have occurred officially. Andy is not that person.

The UK website DRINKS MENU is still referenced under "World of Extras" link is in the quote

Talk about Celebrity's left hand not knowing what the right hand is up to here's an example

This one http://www.thepreismans.com/ecarib_reflection_menus.htm clearly shows that Baileys and Southern Comfort are part of the Premium package :(

This one http://www.celebritycruises.co.uk/images/classic-beverage-package_tcm20-58906.pdf clearly states that Baileys and Southern Comfort are part of the Classic package :)

And this one http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=42721387&postcount=48 clearly shows that Southern Comfort is part of the Classic package but with no mention of Baileys :confused:

The drink prices have certainly increased. It's disappointing. At least I didn't pay for the 123 promo but if you had paid for it and had done so on the basis of the drinks included, then those drinks were excluded then I wonder where this sits with consumer legislation if you'd booked with an Aussie TA or through the Aussie celebrity website. You can't just change the product after purchase.

It wouldn't be the first time that X has moved the goal posts so to speak. The Captains Club changes are still a sore point for some. You may find that X can make whatever changes they like whenever they like, but they do need to remember that some customers may not like it.:D

I agree. The point I was trying to make was that they should have followed through with the original offer for those who booked during the promotional period. Instead of extending the date of the promotion they should have ended it, revamped the offer and promoted it for a different time period. What they did was bait and switch which is just a sleazy move. I think it is a worse situation for those who didn't receive the free classic package and actually paid in advance for something that they won't get.

Oh, sorry, I see where you were going with your statement. ;)

I would definitely be hot if I were paying for the package out of pocket, but really, we ARE paying for it when you factor in that as soon as the promo was over, the prices dropped. :eek:

This one also says "Cocktails up to $9.20" whereas other references say $8

$8 plus $1.20 gratuity equals $9.20. Uk prices include gratuities, us doesn't but they are the same.

Edited by ghstudio

This is exactly what I have been thinking.

By Celebrity playing a game to raise prices of certain drinks so they fall out of the classic drink program, the ones that truly suffer are the rest of us who did not purchase a drink package, and will be paying those actual prices per drink.

We usually have a Martini before dinner and perhaps wine @ dinner and some cocktails at other times during the cruise. Not really enough to warrant buying a classic or premium package. But now our ala carte pricing will increase as well.

Celebrity is REALLY going to piss a lot of people off, that is, if they haven't already.

Plus, as others have suggested, they may have breeched several consumer protection laws.

Heads may roll.

Um, it costs SO little to upgrade. Maybe DO IT?

That's hardly the point. And I don't think an extra $22 for 2 is so little on top of what has already been paid. And multiply that by a coupla thousand people on every ship every day. Reaps in a lot for the cruise line just by increasing the prices by a couple of dollars on items that were included at the time of purchase or selection.

And yes, those who didn't purchase the premium package are much more out of pocket now.

Prices go up all the time, so if they raise the price of the drinks, they should also raise the price of the package, not exclude some of the drinks. That is just stupidity.:(

I am sure that there is not a worldwide shortage of Baileys that the price had to go up 75%.:eek:

I am going on a cruise later this month and the changes to the drinks package is a surprise. I have sailed with Celebrity a number of times and always received what was offered. So after a blaze of publicity offering drinks, on board credit etc deals inclusive to cruise price, they degrade the content. Not impressed!

There are also comments regarding staff pressure and bar staff having alternative definitions of the Classic Drinks Package. In 2014 there are very powerful point of sale solutions so it is a simple process to define what the drinks package content is and capture the guest details when a drink is provided. Pressure on bar staff reduced!

I would probably think that there is somewhere hidden in some small print..... a way out of that scenario for Celebrity. There is always the slight chance that the $ might for some reasons slump against the £. I mean right now the pound is 20 cents higher than it was last time I went to the US. I think we could live with the packages they decide on as long as we know what is what! One can then make an informed decision.

The point made about the same % penalty/devalue on the other perks is a good and relevant one though.

... which is exactly what cruise lines want you to think. "Our terms and conditions mean we can do anything we want and you can't stop us". Wrong. At least in the UK. National laws - and the contracts we take out are with Celebrity in the UK - and UK law over rides unreasonable T&Cs.

A supplier cannot give you something to induce you to purchase and then take it away or reduce its value to you (which may not be monetary).

Strong consumer protection laws are one of the reasons we tend to pay more for our cruises in Sterling in the UK rather than dollars in the USA. So if we are paying for the protection we might as well make use of it!