Classic Drink Package - Significant Cuts in what's included (Threads Merged)

ghstudio

Baileys was 10.50 and not on the classic package, just got off Eclipse yesterday, don't know about the other ships

Strange, I was on the Infinity in Feb and they were $6 and included in the Classic package. Perhaps they have changed the pricing or may have been giving doubles.:D

Well apparently the drink packages aren't as profitable as some here claim and passengers are getting more than their monies worth. Also some have suggested that the price of the cruise has been increased to cover the cost of the 123 go promotions. Apparently that hasn't worked either so hence the bean counters had to make a snap decision in order to collect more beans . If Celebrity is offering a free drink package in my opinion they have every right to set limits on price and brand. However if I'm paying up front before the cruise I'm not willing to buy a pig in a poke just to save a few bucks by purchasing it before the cruise. I purchased the drink package on board last time. This was before they raised the price for the on board purchase. Being new to Celebrity and not knowing what brands fell under the classic plan I always asked the bar tender. Now it seems that this has become a total debacle and the staff can't even figure it out.

Celebrity has dropped the ball on the execution of this change. If the free drink promo was a problem they should have never extended it. They could have offered it at a later date with modifications allowing the marketing dept time to update the site and the staff to fully understand the change.

I think they should just offer the original Classic and Premium package as it was before they started giving it away. This will allow passengers who want to take advantage of a discount by prepaying before the cruise to know what they are buying. If they offer the free package again then they can make modifications to that package and allow passengers to upgrade once on board if they aren't happy with the choices being offered.

A number of drinks are no longer on the classic drink package which would indicate that many prices have been increased over $8 in the past week. Bailey's is just one example. The only scotch left on the classic package is cutty sark, etc.

A new drink price list would be much appreciated....and I wouldn't count on the new calculator to be correct at this point.

I am sailing on the Millemneun in November out of Sinagpore. I too was given the free classic drinks package.

And its FREE* :D

So as its a perk of the booking I don't really care if x or y drink is not on the list I saw on the UK site - the UK site is rubbish anyway - try booking a cruise on it!

There will be whole lot of FREE drinks on the list that will save me $300/400 dollars during the 14 days - especially the sea days.

Here is the wine list for the new gastropub just posted by Celebrity. Several of the wines were on the classic package list ;now none are.

The second price is the bottle price.

CAVA, Cordorniu, “Anna de Codorníu”, Catalonia 9 35.5

SPARKLING BRUT, Domaine Chandon, “Classic”, California 11 45.5

ROSÉ SPUMANTE, Fantinel, Friuli-Venezia Giulia 9 36.5

WHITE

SAUVIGNON BLANC, Wairau River, Marlborough 9 36.5

GRÜNER VELTLINER, Anton Bauer, “Gmörk”, Wagram 11 46.5

PINOT GRIS, J. Vineyards, California 11 45.5

ALBARIÑO, Raimat, “Castell de Raimat”, Costers del Segre 8.5 32

CHARDONNAY, Benziger Family Winery, Sonoma Coast 8.5 32

GRENACHE BLANC, Scala Dei, Les Brugueres, Priorat 16 57.5

ROSÉ/RED

ROSÉ, Whispering Angel, Chateau d’Esclans, Cotes de Provence

(Grenache/Syrah/Mourvedre) 12 54

PINOT NOIR, Steele Vineyards, Santa Barbara, California 14 56.5

TEMPRAÑILLO, CVNE, Temprañillo, Rioja 8.5 32

MERLOT, Kiona, Columbia Valley, Washington 15 60.5

SYRAH/CARIGNAN, Gérard Bertrand, Minervois, Languedoc 9 36.5

CABERNET SAUVIGNON, Benziger, Napa Valley, California 13.5 54

TOSCANA ROSSO, Lagone Aia Vecchia, Tuscany

(Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot/Cabernet Franc) 9.5 45.5

Got off the Eclipse this morning - the link to the 'live from Eclipse' post is the new correct list of what is included.

Several drinks and cocktails that used to be in the 'Classic' package are no longer and have been priced up in to the 'Premium' level.

This cruise which left on the 2nd May was the first one with the new pricing levels. Took a few days for the drinks menu's to appear everywhere while they were changed over.

There was several arguments in bars from passengers who have come over on the Transatlantic and then done a B2B and found that drinks they had the day before were no longer included - we were a bit miffed as several cocktails & beers we had planned to try were priced up and no longer in our Classic package :("

I really thought that offering free "unlimited" drinks as a perk was a bad marketing idea. Now Celebrity might be rethinking everything. The current promotion (Take 2) does not offer the free drink package.

But to do a "bait and switch" like they are apparently doing right now with the classic beverage package is by far the worse marketing strategy.

Already, Cruise Critic regulars are reporting and getting miffed about a lot of things recently with Celebrity:

1) Horrible customer service on the front end (phones tied up for hours)

2) Bad website with several errors and malfunctions.

3) Cutting back on activity staff and perhaps eliminating or at least downsizing trivia and other activities

4) Eliminating or downsizing onboard entertainment like a cappela groups and string quartets. Replaced by a DJ ??

5) Food quality in the MDR is slipping.

6) Based on poor food quality in MDR...trying to sell more specialty dining.

7) Specialty Dining price increased this week...Murano @ $50 per head!

8) and now these drink package cutbacks.

WHAT THE HECK IS HAPPENING TO MY FAVORITE CRUIE LINE ??!!! :mad:

Really naughty if after all this advertising for classic drinks package as a major selling point they reduce the variety of drinks on offer for those receiving it.

When we booked the cruise we were torn between this and another line and the free package was ONE of the things in its favour. (especially as I knew Baileys was included as this is pretty much the main drink I have)

This is a big deal and will annoy customers.

If they feel offering the drinks package was a mistake then don't offer if again but don't annoy the customers you have already sold the deal to. :(

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Just off the summit today. We had the premium package and could not find a list of what that now included, In BLU , The daily glass of white wine was 13.50 and I got a bill at the end of our meal for $ 1.15 for the 50 cent per glass that we went over the premium limit. I just thought that because the red and white wine were the special that night they would be part of the package, No price levels could be found at any bar that we went to. Really a $1 bill

Also on boarding day they increased the price on Bistro on Five from $5 per person to 7 per person. SURPRISE

Just off the summit today. We had the premium package and could not find a list of what that now included, In BLU , The daily glass of white wine was 13.50 and I got a bill at the end of our meal for $ 1.15 for the 50 cent per glass that we went over the premium limit. I just thought that because the red and white wine were the special that night they would be part of the package, No price levels could be found at any bar that we went to. Really a $1 bill

Also on boarding day they increased the price on Bistro on Five from $5 per person to 7 per person. SURPRISE

The premium package is supposed to be up to $13 a glass for wine.

Your bill should have been .50 (or a smart sommelier would have comped you the .50 and probably made up for it in his tip! ;) )

Really naughty if after all this advertising for classic drinks package as a major selling point they reduce the variety of drinks on offer for those receiving it.

When we booked the cruise we were torn between this and another line and the free package was ONE of the things in its favour. (especially as I knew Baileys was included as this is pretty much the main drink I have)

If they feel offering the drinks package was a mistake then don't offer if again but don't annoy the customers you have already sold the deal to. :(

Totally agree - those who paid for the package must be extremely angry.

Prices of drinks seem to have risen just above the $8 mark thus taking them out of the package. Perhaps Celebrity would allow the difference to be paid as in the more expensive package or is it a way of getting customers to upgrade???:eek:

The premium package is supposed to be up to $13 a glass for wine.

Your bill should have been .50 (or a smart sommelier would have comped you the .50 and probably made up for it in his tip! ;) )

.50/perso = $1. Add service charge of $.15 = $1.15

Happy Sailing,

Jenna

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Oh, I wouldn't say offering the Classic Package was a mistake, got you to book didn't it? got us also. Once they get you onboard a lot of people are happy to upgrade once they find out what they can get for their extra $11.50 a day and that's what Celebrity was counting on.

If Celebrity has changed the Classic package after people in the UK have booked they may well fall foul of British consumer protection laws. They don't allow a vendor to sell goods or services in advance and then make changes before delivery(and I have the original list of drinks that were covered when I received the package). And inducements to buy, such as free drinks, are covered by the laws.

Assuming Celebrity doesn't care about the law then the way to receive recompense would be to keep the receipts for any drinks purchased that would have been free under the published list at time of booking and make a claim through the court's small claims procedure. You pay a small fee to initiate the claim but that is reimbursed when you win.

In truth the threat of taking Celebrity to court for a few hundred pounds is likely to persuade them to send you a cheque as defending the claim would be vastly more expensive to them.

This also begs the question as to whether they have proportionately reduced in value the other two options offered under 1-2-3 GO? Does anybody know?

I would probably think that there is somewhere hidden in some small print..... a way out of that scenario for Celebrity. There is always the slight chance that the $ might for some reasons slump against the £. I mean right now the pound is 20 cents higher than it was last time I went to the US. I think we could live with the packages they decide on as long as we know what is what! One can then make an informed decision.

The point made about the same % penalty/devalue on the other perks is a good and relevant one though.

Balloon Man in the above post makes a very valid point in respect of UK Consumer Law. While some are receiving the Classic Package as a "freebie" the advertised contents of the package would have influenced peoples decision making process. The UK website is clear.To see the Classic Package options you check out their drinks menu. This gives the extensive list previously shown. Someone has commented that the Celebrity get out would be if they say that drinks choice can vary. The Terms and Conditions of the offer as further stated on their web site says "The applicable categories within the promotion are subject to availability". This would certainly cover any drinks on the list not available on the ship but would not cover the drink if it is available but at a higher price and outwith the Classic Package. Celebrity would be on shaky ground and could easily be found culpable of misrepresentation and misleading advertising.

Edited by Killiepie

If Celebrity has changed the Classic package after people in the UK have booked they may well fall foul of British consumer protection laws. They don't allow a vendor to sell goods or services in advance and then make changes before delivery(and I have the original list of drinks that were covered when I received the package). And inducements to buy, such as free drinks, are covered by the laws.

Assuming Celebrity doesn't care about the law then the way to receive recompense would be to keep the receipts for any drinks purchased that would have been free under the published list at time of booking and make a claim through the court's small claims procedure. You pay a small fee to initiate the claim but that is reimbursed when you win.

In truth the threat of taking Celebrity to court for a few hundred pounds is likely to persuade them to send you a cheque as defending the claim would be vastly more expensive to them.

This also begs the question as to whether they have proportionately reduced in value the other two options offered under 1-2-3 GO? Does anybody know?

I think it is a more serious problem for Celebrity UK than Joe Blogs taking them to small claims court

The Trade Descriptions Act 1968

The Trade Descriptions Act makes it an offence for a trader to make false or misleading statements about goods or services. It carries criminal penalties and is enforced by Trading Standards Officers, making it an offence for a trader to:

1) apply a false trade description to any goods

2) supply or offer to supply any goods to which a false trade description has been applied

3) make certain kinds of false statement about the provision of any services, facilities or accommodation

All it takes is for a few to complain

That site doesn't list any brands...as far as I can see..it just talks about drinks under a certain price. Is there a US page that lists brands included on Celebrity's web site?

Sorry, I misunderstood what you wanted.

I did note on the online survey I filled out that we purchased the package based on the information at the time of purchase, and we were not informed of any changes prior to sailing

In my opinion if there was a particular drink that you wanted and thought you had paid for then as a gesture of goodwill it should have been included but I was told quite clearly that the drinks are subject to change at any time so there was nothing that could be done

I wonder if I will actually get a response from Celebrity, especially as we purchased the package as an extra

That being said, the package was still a good deal for us and I would purchase one again, hubby didn't touch any whiskey as the brands he drinks were taken off, along with the brandy, I suppose it did his liver a favour :D

Edited by rubydoobydoo

Can anyone direct us to a copy of what was available on the classic package in March when we booked, and what is currently on the classic package ?

I would agree with the earlier post that ,once a booking has been made, the content of that package should not change under UK consumer law .

Has Celebrity been challenged on this?

They really need to respond to these posts and consider the negative impact such tactics may have.

I am sailing on the Millemneun in November out of Sinagpore. I too was given the free classic drinks package.

And its FREE*

So as its a perk of the booking I don't really care if x or y drink is not on the list I saw on the UK site - the UK site is rubbish anyway - try booking a cruise on it!

There will be whole lot of FREE drinks on the list that will save me $300/400 dollars during the 14 days - especially the sea days.

Yes, the package was free to us, as well. However, we booked our upcoming cruise, and were willing to pay the going rate, because we were getting a free alcohol package (which was really built into the rate) that included some drinks that we enjoyed. Now, a few of those are off the menu for the Classic Package.

Let me explain another perspective....

Last year, during the 1-2-3 Promo, we booked an AQ at a price that we felt comfortable with, based on the fact that we would be given the free alcohol package (after reading online what was included.) Neither DH or I drink large amounts, so a typical drinks bill for us would be less than the Classic Package price. (Thank you to the person that posted the alcohol calculator! :)) Yet, we were happy that we would not have to worry about cost adding up and we could drink at our leisure. Plus we had access to many non-alcoholic drinks that cost extra.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago when Celebrity dropped pricing on our cruise. At one time, a Sky Suite was $100 less than what we paid for an AQ. And another time, a Sky Suite GTY was $300 less pp than what we paid for our AQ. We tried to change and upgrade to a SS. Celebrity said that we could not if we wanted to keep the free beverage package.

Had we known that certain drinks were not going to be included in our advertised free package, we would have dropped the incentive and asked for the upgrade to the SS ...or above. We could have purchased the drinks by the glass and come out fine. Plus, we would have had a nicer, larger stateroom and bath. :rolleyes:

If they offer the free package again then they can make modifications to that package and allow passengers to upgrade once on board if they aren't happy with the choices being offered.

Iamcruzin - We should not have to pay to upgrade the drink package if we had already been told we were getting something, those "choices", that we are not. :(

I told my husband that he will not be getting his nightly Bailey's, free of charge, on our upcoming cruise (next week). He has had the Bailey's on our last 2 cruises with the Classic package. He is not a happy man! :mad:

Also, from that same list, some of my wines are missing. Like a Montepulciano (a place in Tuscany that we have visited) wine that was preciously listed (and enjoyed by us.) Very disappointing!

A couple questions:

I am a hot chocolate drinker in the mornings and in cold weather. I enjoyed the luxury of ordering a HC in Café al Bacio on our last two cruises, instead of having the powdered drink in the OV Cafe. In the new U.S. list, there is no HC listed. Is it still available?

I can survive with the limited drink menu, but DH is very particular about his drinks, and drinks more than me. Could he upgrade to the Premium Package without me having to? What would the upgrade price be for a 12 night cruise (that's from the Classic to the Premium)? Wait to do so onboard or online?

Thank you! :)

PS - I should add that in addition to our next 2 booked cruises (with the free package), we were planning on booking 2 more long cruises while onboard this next cruise. The prices are slightly high, but include the drink package. We are now reconsidering and thinking we should wait last minute to book those cruises. Yes, I realize that we would forfeit any OBC (unless we booked a Passage), but the savings made in the rate could make up for it.

Edited by Iamthesea

Can anyone direct us to a copy of what was available on the classic package in March when we booked, and what is currently on the classic package ?

I would agree with the earlier post that ,once a booking has been made, the content of that package should not change under UK consumer law .

Has Celebrity been challenged on this?

They really need to respond to these posts and consider the negative impact such tactics may have.

See post 1. I'm not sure when the uk site stopped pointing to that page though...it's no longer referenced

Iamcruzin - We should not have to pay to upgrade the drink package if we had already been told we were getting something, those "choices", that we are not. :(

I agree. The point I was trying to make was that they should have followed through with the original offer for those who booked during the promotional period. Instead of extending the date of the promotion they should have ended it, revamped the offer and promoted it for a different time period. What they did was bait and switch which is just a sleazy move. I think it is a worse situation for those who didn't receive the free classic package and actually paid in advance for something that they won't get.

If you are looking for drinks that may not be on the classic package, consider upgrading to premium. On our last cruise we paid full price for the premium package. If I order something over - I pay the difference, believe it was $11 something per day per person and either one or both in the cabin can upgrade, we upgraded from the free classic package this time. With classic, if its over you pay the full price. Now if the Martini Bar or the Molecular bar is over the premium.... I will not be happy.....:mad: