Classic Drink Package - Significant Cuts in what's included (Threads Merged)

ghstudio

........Let's apply this to the airlines, when they started charging for luggage is that an infraction?...,..

Yes, it's all about what you are promised when you purchase. For example, if airline baggage was free when you purchased your airline ticket, what would you think if you found that there was a charge to check your bag once you had arrived at the airport?

Yes, it's all about what you are promised when you purchase. For example, if airline baggage was free when you purchased your airline ticket, what would you think if you found that there was a charge to check your bag once you had arrived at the airport?

I'd think they had a change in the policy. I paid an airfare to fly me from A to B and any ancillary costs are mine to bear if they come up.

I've booked airfare while having elite status in october for flights in march after my elite status disappeared. When I booked I have a confirmation showing no fee apply. When I flew fees applied and I had to pay them.

Buried in the contract of carriage is a disclaimer allowing such changes by the airlines.

United airlines within a month of making a decision implemented a pay for meals and snacks policy. Same with the loss of peanuts and free pretzels. Same with blankets and pillows. When I booked, those were included in the fare, later that month when I flew, I had to pay for them if I wanted them. It's just how it works. Changes happen, airlines promise to get you from A to B, some used to offer free luggage as a perk, but now most have taken back that perk, some airlines even now charge for in cabin luggage, so the airfare does not even provide for the guaranteed transit of luggage. Nor do airfares have a requirement to feed or provide beverages, unless of a runway delay of more than 4 hours or more thanks to recent legislation. Those are ancillary, even though many of us like to think of them as germain to the overall agreement, under the contract of carriage they are not. But very few of us actually bother to read all that...we just check the box when booking to say we did.

Airlines do at least tend to give a window of opportunity generally with regard to such changes even if they apply in scenarios that do not involve elite status, but even then there are still some that do not qualify for the "grandfathering in" of the former policy.

Looks like they took away the specialty coffee and tea selections on the Classic package. The classic package description now says coffee and tea. The premium package says specialty coffees and teas.

Looks like they took away the specialty coffee and tea selections on the Classic package. The classic package description now says coffee and tea. The premium package says specialty coffees and teas.

It says "premium coffees and teas".

I don't think that has changed.

The specialty coffees are those with liquor and the premium are things like lattes and cappuccinos .

It says "premium coffees and teas".

I don't think that has changed.

The specialty coffees are those with liquor and the premium are things like lattes and cappuccinos .

So can we still get the espresso doppio with the Classic?

Sorry to hear that you didn't love your trip. We're looking into the beverage and beverage package issue, as well as the buffet issues. Thank you for sharing your feedback, and if you choose to sail with us again, these issues should be properly addressed.

I just noticed the above comment on another celebrity thread (related to disappointing first cruise with celebrity), in reference to the OP's post about the beverage packages and extreme wait time for tables at buffet. While someone seems to be watching, it's already too little too late and much damage is done. Not only bad PR, but just a pain in the neck for staff and cruisers, as well.

.... While someone(from Celebrity) seems to be watching, it's already too little too late and much damage is done. Not only bad PR, but just a pain in the neck for staff and cruisers, as well.

Not too late. They could offer an OBC to cover the upgrade to those who have already booked.

It seems like Celebrity had an across the board price increase recently.

The specialty restaurants went up.

The beverage prices went up.

The problem is that in the past when the beverage prices went up so did the limit for the beverage packages. That happened just a few months ago.

If they continue to raise the beverage prices w/o raising the package limit, eventually even the premium package will only cover the house brands.

Can we get an official response from "Celebrity Cruises" please !!!

The problem is that in the past when the beverage prices went up so did the limit for the beverage packages. That happened just a few months ago.

If they continue to raise the beverage prices w/o raising the package limit, eventually even the premium package will only cover the house brands.

Can we get an official response from "Celebrity Cruises" please !!!

Seems to be what is happening right now. According to posts, the Premium package no longer includes the better wines, and the Classic has become the "house" package.

Edited by neptuno

Seems to be what is happening right now. According to posts, the Premium package no longer includes the better wines, and the Classic has become the "house" package.

Just wondering, have you called Celebrity and voiced your concerns? If so, what did they say?

That's true. When they've changed the baggage policy, they make it in effect for bookings/flights after a certain date. In before the change and the old conditions apply. After the change, the new conditions apply.

Celebrity do things a bit differently... as with the change to their Captains Club. They don't care about changing what you've already booked and paid for.

Just wondering, have you called Celebrity and voiced your concerns? If so, what did they say?

As individuals that's not going to change anything. To easy to fob a caller off. And if CC is anything to go by, the person from Celebrity call centre won't even know things have changed.

It appears (at least some of) the package limits also did.

As per Kevinyork's post from the Eclipse he said the limit is now $10.50.

When I sailed earlier this month, the limit was $9.50. So they've bumped up the limit. (Note, both pricing is where tips are included. So I'd expect the US limit to be $9 now, instead of $8).

As individuals that's not going to change anything. To easy to fob a caller off. And if CC is anything to go by, the person from Celebrity call centre won't even know things have changed.

If one has a problem, wouldn't calling the company be the thing to do? With as many that are complaining on here, I would venture to guess that if each one called, it might have more impact then posting on here.

Edited by NLH Arizona

If one has a problem, wouldn't calling the company be the thing to do? With as many that are complaining on here, I would venture to guess that if each one called, it might have more impact then posting on here.

Theories are Much Fun. No they don't want to actually fix anything, being on a "Witch Hunt" and always complaining is Just TOO Much FUN. :D:D:D

Theories are Much Fun. No they don't want to actually fix anything, being on a "Witch Hunt" and always complaining is Just TOO Much FUN. :D:D:D

I think you might be on to something! If I had an issue with a company, the first thing I would have done was call them and complain.

Edited by NLH Arizona

:D

I think you might be on to something! If I had an issue with a company, the first thing I would have done was call them and complain.

They are actually scared to call Celebrity and get a real answer. Party would be OVER.

Would rather make false accusations and assumptions ...... just way too fun. :D

It appears (at least some of) the package limits also did.

As per Kevinyork's post from the Eclipse he said the limit is now $10.50.

When I sailed earlier this month, the limit was $9.50. So they've bumped up the limit. (Note, both pricing is where tips are included. So I'd expect the US limit to be $9 now, instead of $8).

I saw that and wondered if it was a typo.

If they've really raised the limit on the Classic what is the new limit on the premium?

I just read a thread where a poster said he is on a B2B and he has the premium and wines covered on the first cruise were now a .50 - $4.00 surcharge so I don' think limits have been raised.

I'll find the post a quote it in a minute.

I don't know about mid-sailing, but on my recent back to back on Solstice the wines I drank on the first leg that were part of the Premium package to which I paid to upgrade were an upsell at charges ranging from $.50 to $4.00 per glass on the 2nd leg. So,some drink prices went up on Solstice on 4/28.

Molecular Bar and Martini Bar prices were still covered under the Premium package.

This is the post i was referring to.

Everyone on this thread, be sure to see kevinyork's posts:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=42740369&posted=1#post42740369

While onboard the Equinox transatlantic, I noticed that Jack Daniel's as well as Heineken beer are no longer covered on the Classic Package. This really cramps my drinking style as those are my goto drinks on any cruise. :mad:

Tony

Um, it costs SO little to upgrade. Maybe DO IT?

I upgraded to Premium for my recent 28 day back to back on Solstice. I did so based on my knowledge of all of the good wines available by the glass at the various venues throughout the S-class ships, and also because I love my Molecular Bar and Martini Bar. I was dismayed to find that quite a few wines I enjoyed by the glass on my several cruises in 2013 were no longer available by the glass but only by the bottle (but hey I was told: "you can buy the bottle Madame at a 20% discount"), and more disturbingly, the wines that I did enjoy by the glass on leg one from Sydney to Honolulu nearly all increased in price on the Honolulu to Vancouver leg, with some being pushed above Premium limits and even the upsell wines going up a further $2-$4 a glass.

I booked 4 future cruises taking the drink package option while aboard. I may rethink that and see if my TA can get me changed to free gratuities and then just buy wines by the bottle.