Classic Drink Package - Significant Cuts in what's included (Threads Merged)

ghstudio

I have posted this on our roll call for the 3+ week off Celeb Eclipse sail to the Baltics.

In view of the confusion etc reigning over this "perk" and package. I would suggest that Celebrity having raised its prices from those previously advertised when many people booked, or taken certain drinks out of classic to place them in premium etc - why can't, in the interest of good customer relations, Celebrity drop the practice of if you order a drink over the classic category NOT charge you the full price difference? This would I am sure go some way towards mollifying the people who feel that they have been somewhat "short changed". I always felt it was a little questionable that if a package covered a drink priced at $8 then a drink costing $9 instead of paying the additional $1 you got charged the whole $9!

Even if they only applied this to the recently changed drinks and kept the old system ...it would be better than what they are doing now. It might well be that some folk will take them to task over changing "terms and conditions" like this. If they can apply this to the speciality drinks in excess of the premium package drink price then they could do it for the classic I am sure.

What do people think?

Um, it costs SO little to upgrade. Maybe DO IT?

For us to upgrade for our 7 night cruise it would be $161. (2 people x 7 days x $11.50 per day). We only spent $130 on our last cruise on alcohol all together. I have no desire to pay more for a "free" perk than I would normally spend on alcohol to have a few items included.

The only really good highlight for us is that I would have purchased the non-alcoholic classic package if we didn't have the "free" classic alcohol package and so we're still coming out ahead of either the OBC or the gratuities.

There are a lot of new Celebrity cruisers (but not new cruisers) who booked specifically because of the 1-2-3 / Pick Your Perk promotions (myself included). It feels like Celebrity did what they intended to do (get people to book Celebrity who had never in the past and fill their ships) but then they started to take away some of the things that made us choose to try them (brunch, Zumba, days filled with activities, included beverages).

When I booked my 2 upcoming Celebrity cruises, I was certain based on everything I'd read, that Celebrity would become our cruise line of choice (we do tend to bounce around), now it's a maybe. We'll still go on the 2 cruises (and have a fabulous time I'm sure, like we do on all of our cruises) but will the Celebrity line become our preferred line? I'm not so sure now.

If you feel you have been misled, then contact the Food & Beverage Manager or the Hotel Director when onboard to explain your dissatisfaction.

They have the power to correct the problem and take your feedback to those responsible for mis-selling the cruise/package.

This is exactly what I have been thinking.

By Celebrity playing a game to raise prices of certain drinks so they fall out of the classic drink program, the ones that truly suffer are the rest of us who did not purchase a drink package, and will be paying those actual prices per drink.

We usually have a Martini before dinner and perhaps wine @ dinner and some cocktails at other times during the cruise. Not really enough to warrant buying a classic or premium package. But now our ala carte pricing will increase as well.

Celebrity is REALLY going to piss a lot of people off, that is, if they haven't already.

Plus, as others have suggested, they may have breeched several consumer protection laws.

Heads may roll.

Just wondering if anyone is planning to pursue this? Lots are quoting laws (quite rightly) so is anyone mad enough to make a stand?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Even first semester law students know better. Easier to take the weather person to court for a wrong forecast. Looks like we need more friends of Bill meetings on ship:D

This lends more support to my theory that X is going to an all-inclusive pricing scheme relative to beverages at some point. I now believe this will be the 2016 cruise season.

Why 2016? Because the current promos DO NOT have classic beverage package as an option as the PYP and 123 options have expired and now have only gratuities and OBC available. If they were to offer free beverages for 2016, people would complain come 2016 that they really got nothing.....

I believe the last 2 years the promo has been used to gauge the financial impact of the program, partly why they still swipe your card even though it's free, so that they can accurately track the cost of goods sold component related to the beverage department, and see how much the loss of revenue and profit is before rolling it fully out (and therefore how much to raise the cruise fare to cover this...). By scanning cards each time, they can see usage of individual brands to analyze and determine those that can be changed to premium pricing versus left in classic.

There was a press release somewhere last year where they said they were looking to make X more inclusive as Azamara is, and another that said in October of this year, a big announcement was coming to make both shareholders and passengers very happy.....

SO with that, I also assume they will increase the cost to UPGRADE to premium package, and for this reason, are starting to back down on the offerings included and make the premium upgrade look worthwhile to get premium brands.

These are just my thoughts with no facts other than those press releases I have used to get clues from.....

And to those who quote legal action, read the COC, all is subject to change, you really have no rights. that simple out clause protects the line.

End of day they are in the business to make profits for the shareholders - like me - not provide everything to everyone for no cost. They have a legal and fiduciary responsibility as a publicly traded corporation to first deliver results to their shareholders in the way of profits. Of course in their business this is made possible by making their customers happy. But as we all know, not everyone is going to be happy all the time. Those who are ticked off will leave, allowing their empty cabin to be taken by someone who cares less about the changes. That they are sailing at capacity and above as documented in their stock filings says the loss of ticked off passengers isn't causing them any concern whatsoever.

I will not allow Celebrity to make extra money by these shady tactics.

Lets just say when Im on board it will cost them more:D

If lots of others threatened to do the same what do you think would happen?

They cannot even be bothered to post an official reply!

Edited by SWORRUB1

I will not allow Celebrity to make extra money by these shady tactics.

Lets just say when Im on board it will cost them more:D

If lots of others threatened to do the same what do you think would happen?

Okie dokie, what is the plan? Are you going to waste your vacation time walking from bar to bar ordering drinks and leaving them on the bar? Are you going to order 2,3,4, dinners and leave them on the table? Why even bother? And ruin your spouses time away? Sad to plan and visit wonderful places in such a state of mind. Oh well, what ever floats your boat.

As far as consumer legislation here goes, it matters little about the companies terms and conditions and fine print if the product they have sold or advertised is materially different from that actually provided. Consumer protection legislation over rides the fine print.

As far as consumer legislation here goes, it matters little about the companies terms and conditions and fine print if the product they have sold or advertised is materially different from that actually provided. Consumer protection legislation over rides the fine print.

Which is why we see no footnotes as to 'settlements' in the yearly Company report required by being a public traded and owned business. It don't happen, sorry.

That's not the point.

It would cost us $138pp to upgrade to get a simple Bailey's coffee at night and a Hot Chocolate for me in the mornings. No one had answered my question on the HC, so I am still assuming it is not included in the Classic anymore.

Why 2016? Because the current promos DO NOT have classic beverage package as an option as the PYP and 123 options have expired and now have only gratuities and OBC available. If they were to offer free beverages for 2016, people would complain come 2016 that they really got nothing.....

As far as I know, the Booking on Board promo goes through 2016, or to the latest open scheduled sailing dates. A 2016 date is one of the trips we planned to book onboard. As I mentioned earlier, we would book onboard to receive the 1-2-3/PYP and OBC. Of course, booking now, we will know what the package does not include - if we decide to book. However, that same package advertised today may change again by 2016. :rolleyes:

Edited by Iamthesea

One would have a very hard time arguing that moving brands of liquor from 1 package to another, or changing a lounge's use from one purpose to another are material differences with regard to a cruise whose main purpose is to move one from point A to point B. From a simple financial standpoint the cruise fare itself is clearly more geared to pay for the transits, and is not materially significantly tied to the perks and amenities on offer.

Also, RCI and Celebrity have good attorneys themselves, no doubt they have reviewed changes biding made to ensure they are within guidelines of those consumer protection laws in the countries they operate within. Failing to do such things, would be grounds for shareholder lawsuits for opening itself up to such simple lawsuits.

But if anyone wants to spend their hard-earned money on lawyers over a devalued drink package, or lack to access to a lounge, rather than vacations, I wish them well. I have many friends that are attorneys who would look forward to taking that money to pay for their own vacation and cruise!

And for the record I think it would be stupid for an official celebrity rep to log in here and explain their business reasoning behind changes. It's their business to run, they need not explain every single move they make to the consumer. They need only to make changes and then monitor its economic impact on the line as a whole, not based on feed back of a few active cruise critic posters who are not at all their target consumer.

Even first semester law students know better. Easier to take the weather person to court for a wrong forecast. Looks like we need more friends of Bill meetings on ship:D

Tell that to Tesco's in the UK they are the second largest supermarket measured by profit in the world after Walmart and got in trouble for mis-advertising punnets of strawberries at £1.99.

Birmingham local trading standard took them to court result was a £300,000 ($500,000) fine and a ruling from the courts that allows local trading standards officers to take on multi national companies anywhere in the UK. All it took was a one disgruntled shopper complaining to their local trading standards

Link to the story http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-23755528

Just goes to show sometimes the big Companies don't always get their own way

Tell that to Tesco's in the UK they are the second largest supermarket measured by profit in the world after Walmart and got in trouble for mis-advertising punnets of strawberries at £1.99.

Here the price of the berries in a grocery store IS MATERIAL to the shopper shopping. Whereas in cruising the amenities and perks and not going to be considered MATERIAL as the transit of the consumer would be the material part of the cruise contract - in my opinion and based on the lack of such suits against RCI and X over the years as they consistently and continually tweak their perks and offerings.

As far as I know, the Booking on Board promo goes through 2016, or to the latest open scheduled sailing dates. A 2016 date is one of the trips we planned to book onboard. As I mentioned earlier, we would book onboard to receive the 1-2-3/PYP and OBC. Of course, booking now, we will know what the package does not include - if we decide to book. However, that same package advertised today may change again by 2016. :rolleyes:

You are correct - this is the case at this point when taking a book-on-board perk as of April/May 2014.

And packages and perks change often, seemingly almost quarterly.

I booked the Rio for Carnival cruise in January 2016 while on my Eclipse TA this year, and it was a perk to select from. I booked a suite on the sailing and the sales agent suggested the beverage package and I took it. Then I realized the next day that at that time suites would INCLUDE premium beverage (I booked higher category suite) so swapped to the gratuities instead.

Another small case of there X agents and staff not having proper training...they should have caught that little nuance of Suite perks taking effect come April 2015 and not offered the beverages.

I have to assume that should they go all-inclusive, they will convert those relatively few passengers in the 2016 season with Beverage package perk to OBC or Gratuities closer to sailing or when (if) announcement is made. Those with Beverage packages in 2016 season from the book-on-board program will be a relatively small sampling compared to the full cabin count.

Edited by cle-guy

One would have a very hard time arguing that moving brands of liquor from 1 package to another, or changing a lounge's use from one purpose to another are material differences with regard to a cruise whose main purpose is to move one from point A to point B. .

A cruise's main purpose is not the movement of people. It is a holiday stay, just like staying at a hotel.

If your view were the case, then there would be some serious breaches of purpose with most cruises that start and end at the same port.

Cruises are quite different from airline travel, which is where your view would be correct.

It is really simple, if you disagree with their price change/policy, then don't drink any alcohol while onboard and don't get the drink package as part of the 123 promotion. That will show them.

That's a simple statement. And as such, typically irrelevant.

Not using a package bonus that you have selected as part of the product promotion, and is paid for is as ridiculous as paying for your cruise and then not going on it.

A cruise's main purpose is not the movement of people. It is a holiday stay, just like staying at a hotel.

If your view were the case, then there would be some serious breaches of purpose with most cruises that start and end at the same port.

Cruises are quite different from airline travel, which is where your view would be correct.

However the cruise contract clearly states its purpose is to provide transport. If you read it, to doesn't even provide safe transport....just transport. Sure all of us think of it as a vacation, but get to the contract we agree to and see it is transportation being offered, with lots of fun amenities and perks along the way.

And Point B could be and often is equal to Point A ;-)

That's a simple statement. And as such, typically irrelevant.

Not using a package bonus that you have selected as part of the product promotion, and is paid for is as ridiculous as paying for your cruise and then not going on it.

Next time (if there is a next time), don't pick the drink package, pick one of the other offers of the 123 promotion. That will show them!

Otherwise, here is a solution: Celebrity I know you read this forum and I have a suggestion for you.

Put all these so called cutbacks back in place and just raise the cruise fare to everyone to cover any increases in costs, need for increased revenue, etc. That should solve the problem for everyone! I can't believe that anyone would complain if you did this, since they have been complaining about these cutbacks and they would get them all back!

Thank you for taking this into consideration, so that we will not have to hear any more complaints about cutbacks.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Prices go up all the time, so if they raise the price of the drinks, they should also raise the price of the package, not exclude some of the drinks. That is just stupidity.:(

I am sure that there is not a worldwide shortage of Baileys that the price had to go up 75%.:eek:

Basically, they did raise the price of the package. If you want certain brands that were once offered in the Classic package you now have to purchase the Premium package.

I think the bottom line is the change of included drinks leaves a bad taste in the mouth, and is not good PR at all.

Its a bit like ordering a sports car and getting a family car provided, for the same money. It still serves the same purpose, but is different to what you signed up for, and has things missing.

We all understand things change, but this is a bit sneaky in my opinion :(

That's not the point.

It would cost us $138pp to upgrade to get a simple Bailey's coffee at night and a Hot Chocolate for me in the mornings. No one had answered my question on the HC, so I am still assuming it is not included in the Classic anymore.

If the hot chocolate was from cafe Albacio then it is included

I dint have one myself but the waitress told me I could order any the were non alcoholic so I assume this cover h c

I'm not particularly upset with these changes. Stuff happens when you plan so far in advance, and we're not terribly picky about brands,

But it's no "SO little" for the upgrade in a longer cruise. $22 X 16 days X 2 people = a lot of money, IMHO.

I'm not particularly upset with these changes. Stuff happens when you plan so far in advance, and we're not terribly picky about brands,

But it's no "SO little" for the upgrade in a longer cruise. $22 X 16 days X 2 people = a lot of money, IMHO.

4 days or 16 days, the price is the same - $11.50 per day - CHEAP, IMHO.

However the cruise contract clearly states its purpose is to provide transport. If you read it, to doesn't even provide safe transport....just transport.

Not if you book in the UK http://www.celebritycruises.co.uk/images/UK_BOOKING_070514_tcm20-18087.pdf

Straight from the contract:

1. Booking your holiday

1.1 How do I make a booking?

To book your chosen holiday, contact one of our Personal

Cruise Consultants (not transport contract)

and

We both agree that any dispute, claim or other matter arising

out of or in connection with your contract or your holiday with

us will only be dealt with by the Courts of England and Wales.

The contract between us is governed by English law (Not US)

What you book in the US is not the same as the UK and this is why the cruise lines keep telling us it is more expensive to book here