Holland America Only for Seniors

koss78b2

Looking at some cruises. Like in Panama Canal area. I came across one good destination based one. With Holland America.

I like to ask as i heard someone saying majority of passengers on Holland America are all seniors 65+

And whole cruiseline caters to that clientle?

Or would there be people of under 40 there. Solo cruises?

Does this cruise line get good reviews?

I like to ask as i heard someone saying majority of passengers on Holland America are all seniors 65+

That tends to be their general market, especially on their longer cruises including the Panama Canal as well as cruises taken in off season.

It is their speciality in the way that Disney caters to families. 65 is actually pushing it for some of their itineraries, more like age 75.

Yes, of course! But much like Disney which has childless and single people, the majority have young kids. On most HAL cruises, the majority of the passengers are older.

Yes, very.

You say your age is "under 40", is that 39, 31, 20s... makes a difference.

You may want to give HAL a try, but the other similar mass market lines generally have a younger passenger list such as Princess and Celebrity. Carnival, RC and NCL do as well and cater more to families and active fun.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Looking at some cruises. Like in Panama Canal area. I came across one good destination based one. With Holland America.

Average age for Holland America Lines (HAL) depends on the time of year (during school vacations or not), length of cruise, and location. HAL has very few kids when they are in school so the average age of the passengers is higher. Families cannot do the very long cruises due to cost and kids in school so the average age of those cruises would be higher. Cruises to the Bahamas and Alaska during vacation periods seem to have 20% teenagers and below. The HAL kids program keeps them out of sight and completely entertained. HAL is not a party cruise line but is very laid back. They treat cruising as a chance to relax with fine food, excellent accommodations, and fun excursions. You will not hear blaring music as you will on Carnival. The median age in my experience is 57 when kids are in school and 45 when they accompany their parents.

There are always a good number of solo cruisers and they don't have to fear being "hit on" wherever they go. They are made to feel welcome by their fellow passengers.

There are lots of passengers under 40 that love the beaches, kayaking, climbing, scuba diving, ATV motoring, partying on catamarans in the Caribbean, and other strenuous activities offered by HAL.

HAL reviews are very high and they have the highest number of repeat passengers in the cruise industry.

You can read HAL cruise reviews on CC.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Yes, HAL tends to attract an older crowd -- but a lot depends on the itineraries. A full Panama Canal transit will have older people. The partial Panama Canal attracts young and old.

If you cruise around Thanksgiving -- 7 days -- on either the Nieuw Amsterdam or the Eurodam -- you will find many younger people and families.

A general rule of thumb...

The longer the cruise the "older" the passenger average as they can take longer cruises without work issues.

The longer the cruise the fewer children on board, unless it is during school holidays.

The shorter the cruise the more lively and party atmosphere and younger crowd.

Of course these are just generalizations, and cruising any time during college spring breaks will be party central. :D

HAL tends to attract mature cruisers - not into party-party atmosphere - with quality service and laid back atmosphere. On longer itineraries, as with most lines, passengers are largely retirees and likely to be in 60's or more - but that applies to any line providing long itineraries. There are always younger people - especially on the one week to ten or eleven day itineraries, as well as solo cruisers. I cruised solo on HAL a number of times.

There are many seniors on all ships, Hal is a good line many people of all ages. They have smaller ships and people tend to dress better than some other lines. Also not much of night life , no live music passed 11:30 or so.

While the ages of passengers of course vary from cruise to cruise, generally the average age of HAL passengers doesn't live up to their reputation. From someone who has been senior management on a number of cruise ships:

For the past 8 consecutive years the average passenger on the Princess Fleet, worldwide, year round, is 58 years old.

For the past 7 consecutive years the average passenger on the Holland America Fleet, worldwide, year round, is 57 years old.

I've been sailing on HAL since I was in my mid-20s. Generally I've noticed that the average age tends to be the oldest on North American cruises (incl Panama Canal) in the early part of December.

Yes, you'll find solo cruisers on board.

"Average" is a misleading term. You could have a ship with 1,000 grandparents aged 65 to 75 (their "average" age being 70) traveling with 1,000 grandchildren aged 5 to 9 (their "average" age being 7); with the result that the "average" passenger's age would be 38 1/2 - and that "average" would be 29 1/2 years older than the oldest of the children and 26 1/2 years younger than the youngest of the adults: In other words, a totally meaningless figure.

If you are actually interested, you should talk with people who have sailed on the ships and lines you are interested in, and ignore the uninformed blather.

Of course, HAL's demographic tends to be older than Carnival's - they cater to different interest groups. HAL sails longer itineraries (obviously not likely to appeal to younger working couples with school age children) while Carnival (which has virtually no itineraries longer than seven days) has activities and ambience aimed at those younger families and are not likely to interest more mature passengers with more leisure time

We had this very same discussion @ a dinner table for 8 on my recent partial PC cruise. My friend I traveled with is 45, I am 59 and we were the youngest @ this table I would suspect. There were two ladies to my left and if I was guessing, I'd say they were in their late '60's. When the topic of "to HAL or not to HAL", they both responded very adamantly it was a FINE line if you were in the wheelchair/scooter category! I've cruised several diff lines but now a Princess repeat offender.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We had this very same discussion @ a dinner table for 8 on my recent partial PC cruise. My friend I traveled with is 45, I am 59 and we were the youngest @ this table I would suspect. There were two ladies to my left and if I was guessing, I'd say they were in their late '60's. When the topic of "to HAL or not to HAL", they both responded very adamantly it was a FINE line if you were in the wheelchair/scooter category! I've cruised several diff lines but now a Princess repeat offender.

One more report - at least second hand (or at least third hand if the ladies on the left mentioned had also not actually sailed HAL) from someone who does not know - concerning HAL's demographic.

We've cruised on HAL from time to time since we were in our 30's. Wonderful for port intensive cruises when we wanted to get to bed early.

Yes, HAL does have an older pax base. No way to deny that! Wish HAL would "embrace" that image! As time goes by, a cruise line that caters to the needs of the older passenger is needed. Lots of "Baby Boomers" are on the way! :D

LuLu

I just got off a 4-day HAL cruise that was the tail end of a 22-day Panama Canal repositioning cruise. The 22-day passengers were definitely in the 65+ category, but those of us who got on in San Diego and sailed to Vancouver were a mixed bag of ages.

I started sailing HAL in 2001 when I was 48. Some cruises skewed older, some more mid-range (30-50). Most of my cruises have been solos, and I've been treated well.

Why not give HAL a try? If you don't like it, you can cross them off your list.

Roz

If you go by the birth date in their passport, then I believe HAL does have people under 50. But if you define "old" as an attitude, HAL sure does have a lot of really, really old people. I remember thinking "when I get old, I hope I'm not as feeble and decrepit as these people". Then my travel agent told me the average age for HAL- I'm 64, I am that old!

There was also a large minority of some of the most shamelessly fat people I've ever seen outside a Florida buffet restaurant, who must have been well under 65.

I've traveled on Cunard, which also has a pretty old clientele, but with much different attitudes.

If you go by the birth date in their passport, then I believe HAL does have people under 50. But if you define "old" as an attitude, HAL sure does have a lot of really, really old people. I remember thinking "when I get old, I hope I'm not as feeble and decrepit as these people". Then my travel agent told me the average age for HAL- I'm 64, I am that old!

There was also a large minority of some of the most shamelessly fat people I've ever seen outside a Florida buffet restaurant, who must have been well under 65.

I've traveled on Cunard, which also has a pretty old clientele, but with much different attitudes.

Just curious: how many times have you sailed HAL and how many on other lines?

One more report - at least second hand (or at least third hand if the ladies on the left mentioned had also not actually sailed HAL) from someone who does not know - concerning HAL's demographic.

I was just reporting the round table discussion that was had on a cruise two months ago. And yes, the ladies said they had cruised HAL.

I've got 4 HAL tote bags, so I guess 4 times. The last time, I was traveling with a group and was persuaded to go against my better judgement; it was even worse than I expected.

I have 223 days on Costa, I'm Gold level on Cunard, and have been on Carnival Legend & Valor, RCCL Adventure & Vision, NCL Epic, Celebrity Constellation, P&O Oriana and Crystal Serenity.

Since I travel mostly off-season, a lot of the people on Costa are also my age; but a far different atmosphere from HAL.

Edited by Dancer Bob

We are 40+ and travelled HAL twice in the Mediterranean. Enjoyed both vacations and met nice people our age. As many posters mentioned before it depends on length, itinerary and time of the year how old the average age is but IMO that doesn't matter to much. I can not mingle with everybody and as long as we find nice people to chat with or have a nice drink together (oi oi to the Aussies, lol) we are fine.

My husband and I are 44 and 42. Our roll call seems to be averaging about age 50 for a 7 day Canada/NE cruise. I suspect that people exaggerate a good deal on the idea that the line is for seniors only.

Our experience on many HAL cruises has been comparable. What is interesting is the number of people who, without their own experience, pass along second or third hand comments concerning the number of mobility-impaired superannuated passengers - a category I have found about as well represented on other lines - with the exception of NCL and Carnival.

• 4 weeks later...

I have 49 days on HAL, 48 on Royal, 26 on Carnival and 14 on Celebrity. I started sailing HAL about 15 years ago (I am now 55) and found that yes, it is an older demographic. But the fast majority are not feeble and impaired. I have been amazed at fit many of them are. Kayaking in Alaska without any problem and me struggling to keep up.

I have take my daughter 18-20 at the time for 21 days with me and she had no problem finding others in her age group. I am sure she would have preferred to go on a mega-ship with flow riders etc, but she enjoyed the cruises.

My wife and I also took her 30 year old son on an Alaska cruise and he was out till 4am most nights with people he met and especially the performers from the different shows.

So I guess my point is the other passenger ages should not really impact younger people. The cruise is what you make of it.

Dh and I are in our mid fifties and have sailed both Princess and HAL. So have our kids, 28, 26 and 22. We have all enjoyed all of our cruises but we all think HAL is our favourite. My daughter and her new husband (who also has sailed both lines and prefers HAL) are going on their honeymoon in July, a 12 day Baltic cruise on HAL. They didn't want to even consider any other line. They love HAL. Funnily, when she mentioned to a few co-workers what her plan was, they were horrifed, saying "that's only for old people" and "you will regret it". This was especially funny as neither co-worker had ever cruised on HAL so they were hardly in the position to have that opinion.

To be honest we haven't seen much difference in the demographics aboard Princess or HAL. There are people of all age groups on board - makes it interesting.

We don't cruise HAL anymore since they won't change their smoking policy. We really don't like the indoor smoking that HAL still allows. While we're in the older age bracket (65 and 72), we find that on some cruises, usually the 7 day ones, that there's a mix of ages. But on longer cruises, the average age is definitely 70.