Movies on the Deck

Carol28

We are going on our first Princess cruise Thanksgiving week. I've always wondered about the outdoor movies at night. I like movies. What kind of movies do they show? Are seats set-up or do people use the lounge chairs? How is the sound?

I would love it if they had sing alongs to The Sound of Music or Grease. That would be fun!

I am a major fan of MUTS but not alot are. My first experience was Shrek years ago followed by Rocky Horror. A group of Germans and me watching Rocky Horror and I was just like this is awesome!

Someone has listed on a recent post the current movies playing. Hunger Games. Saving Mr Banks, oh and not enough coffee yet I can't remember the others but somewhat current.

Now a Sound of Music sing along-I have never seen that done but WOW that would be a hoot!

The service if you read other postings seems inconsistent. Used to be cookies and milk and popcorn. A couple of times I had seen them bringing around pizza!

Hope you enjoy

We are going on our first Princess cruise Thanksgiving week. I've always wondered about the outdoor movies at night. I like movies. What kind of movies do they show? Are seats set-up or do people use the lounge chairs? How is the sound?

I would love it if they had sing alongs to The Sound of Music or Grease. That would be fun!

In the evening the deck hands set up the lounge chairs facing the movie screen. The chairs are covered with a pillow at the top, and blankets are provided. For the top movies the seats fill up quickly. Normally there are a few current movies and some older ones. Popcorn is provided. You can get other snacks at the grill or the buffet. Of course, bar staff is around. During the daytime they show "The Morning Show", classic flicks from the 50's, 60's, etc. and concert videos. The sound is good. I have never seen sing alongs, but it is possible musicals like the ones you mention could be shown during the daytime. Each day's schedule is in the Princess Patter.

The following were the MUTS nightly movies a few weeks ago.

Movies Under the Stars

Gravity

Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Now You See Me

Saving Mr. Banks

Jobs

Last Vegas

The Hobbit

Captain Phillips

The Secret Life of Water Mitty

The Great Gatsby

Thor

World War Z

Enough Said

Other good recent movies have included Captain Phillips and Gravity.

The movies are often those that have been recently released to DVD, or sometimes just before they have been released.

Sometimes in the afternoon, they have popular oldies. I have greatly enjoyed Top Gun and Tina Turner at Wembley Stadium. The sound is great for outdoors. Fun like the old days at the Drive-in, but better quality:)

The following were the MUTS nightly movies a few weeks ago.

Movies Under the Stars

Gravity

Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Now You See Me

Saving Mr. Banks

Jobs

Last Vegas

The Hobbit

Captain Phillips

The Secret Life of Water Mitty

The Great Gatsby

Thor

World War Z

Enough Said

Great job, once again! Thanks!

They also show concerts on the MUTS screen. During the day, the movies can be older but at night, they are usually brand new. A few weeks ago on the Grand, they showed Dirty Dancing and Fever Pitch during the day.

I don't like movie theatres, so going on a cruise is always a good time for me to catch up on any movies that I haven't seen.

They also show concerts on the MUTS screen. During the day, the movies can be older but at night, they are usually brand new. A few weeks ago on the Grand, they showed Dirty Dancing and Fever Pitch during the day.

I don't like movie theatres, so going on a cruise is always a good time for me to catch up on any movies that I haven't seen.

Yes, I agree about movie theaters.

So nice on a cruise!

The crew may bring around some snacks, but it can also be self serve. The popcorn machine is on deck nearby and someone is constantly making fresh, so you can go as often as you like. And as someone mentioned, pizza and the buffet are nearby. Also extra blankets are usually available if you ask for cooler evenings. MUTS is an enjoyable and different experience.

On most nights, the featured movie (as others have said, movies that have been recently released on DVD) is played twice -- around 7 and 10. In the first day's Patter, some of these will be listed, but not necessarily in the order. Sometimes there may be other activities, such as a deck party, that may preempt the night's movie (the screen will be used during the party to feature passengers dancing, etc.).

On our last two Hawaiian cruises, the 9am movie would usually be a Hawaiian-based one such as "The Hawaiians" or "Pearl Harbor." We also had a few holiday movies (like "Elf") during the daytime as we were on the holiday cruise. Sometimes late at night, there may be midnight showings on MUTS for the teens (such as "The Hunger Games").

Some of the movies will also be shown in one of the big lounges during the day or on the in-cabin TV.

It's really nice sitting outside at night, especially the later showing, when the weather is nice. Down side is the bar noise. Some of the guests can get pretty loud. If you really are into the movie it can get annoying.

It's really nice sitting outside at night, especially the later showing, when the weather is nice. Down side is the bar noise. Some of the guests can get pretty loud. If you really are into the movie it can get annoying.

Do they show them on an Alaskan cruise? Outside? Inside? Cabin TV?

Sue

Oh yes they do show them in Alaska. Many a time we have been one of the few sitting out there, in the cold, with half a dozen blankets on us. Kind of fun. They do show the same movies over again on the stateroom TV. Sometimes more then once.

Oh yes they do show them in Alaska. Many a time we have been one of the few sitting out there, in the cold, with half a dozen blankets on us. Kind of fun. They do show the same movies over again on the stateroom TV. Sometimes more then once.

Thanks, that's good to know.

Sue

Some of the guests can get pretty loud. If you really are into the movie it can get annoying.

We were so excited on our last cruise because they were showing a Mumford & Sons concert one night. We got our seats early and after it started, a couple sat down next to us and wouldn't shut up. We moved to a spot where nobody else was sitting and the same thing happened.

Why do people go to the movies to talk? We just left.

yes, and its fun! bundle up and use a few blankets. a few of us hardy souls were under the overhang in a downpour watching the movie. there was only a few of us but we had lots of popcorn!

I think that MUTS is shown regardless of the weather. The movies listed in previous posts were what I saw on my trip (Grand, California Coastal) in April. I loved it. The deck chairs were covered with maroon colored slip covers and lots of plaid blankets were available. Popcorn and cookies were served shortly before the movies started. I saw three movies. The weather was good for two, but freezing for one. I had about five blankets, over layered clothing, but I liked the movie so I stayed. Going to Alaska in 2015 and looking forward to MUTS. The sound was fine, BTW.

I am a major fan of MUTS but not alot are.

I am part of the "hate them w a passion" group. I do not do movies on land and do not see why I should be forced to see them on a cruise that I have paid good money to go on.

If I thought I could get away w it, I would love to throw a sledge hammer through the screen - remember the famous Apple Mac commercial?

DON