1. 1. Over 60's - Who wears /packs a swimsuit

• I'm not interested in bronzing or swimming
    • I have a body image issue
    • Sometimes if the location suits eg. snorkelling

No, just the voice of experience. :(

Sorry you find the experience sad......:(

I am overweight as it is......but I still wear bathing suits on my cruises

and will still wear them in 4 years.:)

If I'm lucky to live into my 80s like my parents and I'm in decent health. I will wear a swimsuit and not give a fig what anyone thinks!:D I always feel great when I'm in water. I feel like I belong there. It's a peaceful and calming place for me to me surrounded by water. Doesn't matter if I'm in a pool, the ocean, a lake, a Jacuzzi, in a bathtub or shower...I love being in water.:D When I cruise or take any vacation where water is involved...I pack one swimsuit for each day that I will be in the water. So for most 7-day cruises, I will pack 4 or 5 swimsuits. I put them on in the morning under my cover-up and throw on a pair of capri pants. I usually always wear a straw hat and sunglasses to finish off the outfit.

Edited by mousey

+1 on your comments, Mousey. You sound just like me.

I usually just pack two swimsuits when travelling but on my last trip I found things dried really slowly in one hotel so might be tempted to take three on my cruise.

I am 57 with body issues ( who hasn't ) I have had 3 beautiful children and years and years of being overweight. ( no longer ) I have issues with the top of my arms and top of my thighs were the skin is no longer as I wish it was. It will not stop me wearing a swimsuit or evening gown I live my life for me not anyone else. My husband still thinks I am beautiful after 35 years of marriage and that is good enough for me . Enjoy life ladies.

I'll be 65 and not the thinnest I've ever been, but why should I not wear one when you see much younger women with worse figures wearing 2 pc suits etc.

I go on vacation to lay in the sun and have a good time. On a 7 day I take 2 suits and on a 10/11 day 3 suits

When you leave the ship no one will remember you anyway

Over 60 and I wear a tankini or a bikini............yeah, that's right a bikini. Go ahead and judge me. I tried to upload a pix to show you, but I am not tech saavy and it failed. Not to brag, oh no........to let you see what an over 60 woman looks like in a bikini.......or should I say 2 piece modest bikini.) It's easier to sun, swim, & snorkel in and packs like a dream. I know I don't look 20.......or even 40 but hey if it bothers you, look away. I'm enjoying myself at the beach and I will not apologize.

Oh, ladies, I am so very, very happy with my swimsuitsforall.com suit that just arrived in the mail today:

http://www.swimsuitsforall.com/Longitude-Formosa-Empire-Princess-Seam-Swimdress-top-print-only?p=5083

It's even more on sale that what I paid for it.

It's a Longitude suit, which means there's more length in it, and that is fabulous for us longwaisted women, or women with larger tummies. The tummy will take up the extra length, and you don't have it pulling down from the top, or up from the crotch.

I am fluffy, but I have a fairly flat tummy. I am also longwaisted, so this suit fits me perfectly. I was amazed when I put it on. The fabric is gorgeous: smooth, satiny texture, and the print on top is very lovely. The double straps are not only very attractive, but they also give extra support for "the girls". Good "hold you in" netting in the body, but even better, THE ENTIRE UNDER PART OF THE SUIT IS BLACK! No, skirt flying up and looking nude underneath.

I love this suit.

Peggy, VERY CUTE SUIT:D:)

Actually, I just bought a 1 piece today at Beall's.....same style as

that one but a black/white print. I tried to get the picture posted but

here is the link instead.....the photo wouldn't come up correctly. I got

it on a big sale too:)

http://www.beallsflorida.com/online/longitude-plus-sand-dune-empire-swimdress

Edited by Lois R

Oh, ladies, I am so very, very happy with my swimsuitsforall.com suit that just arrived in the mail today:

http://www.swimsuitsforall.com/Longitude-Formosa-Empire-Princess-Seam-Swimdress-top-print-only?p=5083

It's even more on sale that what I paid for it.

I was looking around at swimsuitsforall.com, and in the FAQs there's a note that if a suit goes on sale or promotion within 15 days of the original order, you can get the difference refunded. Might be worth the trouble of contacting them!

Since when age 60 became "old" or "beyond the pale"?

I agree 100%. When I turned 60, there was an add on the radio for a hospital...saying 60 is the "new" 40. That has been my mindset! If you keep yourself in reasonable shape and keep moving, it's not all THAT old. What I like about being 60+ is that I don't have to try so hard like when I was in my 40's. It's OK (I think) to be less than perfect. I really don't think people are out there judging us in our swimsuits! Actually, when I see older people being active ie swimming etc., I think "good for them". I don't intend on being old until I'm 80+.

I agree 100%. When I turned 60, there was an add on the radio for a hospital...saying 60 is the "new" 40. That has been my mindset! If you keep yourself in reasonable shape and keep moving, it's not all THAT old. What I like about being 60+ is that I don't have to try so hard like when I was in my 40's. It's OK (I think) to be less than perfect. I really don't think people are out there judging us in our swimsuits! Actually, when I see older people being active ie swimming etc., I think "good for them". I don't intend on being old until I'm 80+.

I normally agree with you:) but have you ever seen someone at the

pool on a cruise that literally made you "STOP In your Tracks"?:eek:

I was on a cruise in February and there was a lady at the pool and

she seriously had been in the sun for waaayyyy too many years:eek:

and decided she also was happy in a bathing suit at least 2 sizes

too small.....her skin looked like leather.....and her butt was coming

out of the bottoms.

I mean I don't care what she wore but you could not help but notice

it...oh, as for her age? I am guessing in her 70s....and yes, you could

see she was having a good time. But it didn't look very appealing to me.

I know I stated earlier in this thread I will wear a bathing suit (which I do)

but it is going to fit me.....and cover my top and my behind........thank you:)

Edited by Lois R

Mid-sixties and I'm carrying a swimsuit and cover-up on our Med cruise. We only have one sea day and no beach excursions. I normally carry two. I sure look different than in my 20's and 30's (and I'm sure the other decades since) but I love the water and the sun and sea. I have a pacemaker and defib in my chest and a scar to boot. I learned to appreciate life and enjoy myself so I don't worry about the fact that I'm older than a lot of the folks or that I have a slight bulge and a scar on my chest. I'm enjoying life. :D

Since when age 60 became "old" or "beyond the pale"?

Her question didn't mention that anyone 60 or over is "old" or "beyond" the pale. She just wanted to know if they still wore swimsuits.;)

Her question didn't mention that anyone 60 or over is "old" or "beyond" the pale. She just wanted to know if they still wore swimsuits.;)

You made the same implication that the OP did, but moreso, IMO.....By saying "still", you've made the implication that a lot of time and changes have taken place since they started wearing swimsuits.

out of the bottoms.

You may not have agreed with me, but you still put a smile on my face!! I know what you are saying and I've seen the same thing!! I guess there are always going to be people at any age who use poor judgement. That would make for conversation with DH when we run out of things to talk about! I take it back about not judging... in that case, it would be hard not to---especially about the teeny tiny suit!

out of the bottoms.

First of all, Lois, your black/white suit is exactly the same style as the one I posted above. Those double straps are wonderful! Great looking suit.

hrhdhd: thanks for the tip about sale pricing. I will call their customer service!

Lois, I saw a similar woman on HAL recently. She was sitting in a chair on the pool deck with a bikini-ish suit on, and had an ENORMOUS stomach completely bare and hanging out. She looked like Jaba-the-Hut from StarWars sitting there. We saw her in the theater another evening and she had on a top that was cut to her waist in the back, and pretty much hanging out everywhere else, too! Her accessory was her lizard-like skin. Really off-putting!

Edited by pcur

You may not have agreed with me, but you still put a smile on my face!! I know what you are saying and I've seen the same thing!! I guess there are always going to be people at any age who use poor judgement. That would make for conversation with DH when we run out of things to talk about! I take it back about not judging... in that case, it would be hard not to---especially about the teeny tiny suit!

I don't think there's anything wrong with judging their choices, as long as you don't expect them to make changes based on your judgement (which might not match theirs) and as long as you don't use your judgement on one thing (eg their clothing choice, or lack thereof) to make judgements about other things (their personality, skills, health, whatever).

We all make judgements all the time ("wow, Carol looks great in blue" or "huh - I don't think those shoes work well with that outfit" or "I bet his legs would look a lot better without those tattoos"), but we have to understand those limits. While "don't judge me" has become such an overused catch phrase, it's an impossibility (who would want to go through life without having any opinions on things?), I think the real meaning is "don't judge the person based on your judgement of their clothing" ........i.e. don't judge a book by its cover. And don't expect - or even ask - someone to change based on your opinion (i.e. judgement). That's the step a lot of people fail at.

"Hate me if you want to, love me if you can." Now that's a quote about judgement I can get behind!

Edited by calliopecruiser

I was really surprised by the question if ladies over 60 brought swimsuits.

I am over 60 and never thought about not bringing and wearing a swimsuit, it just never entered my head.

We usually travel with a group who are in their 50's, 60's, and even 70's. We all have bathing suits and we all go to the pool. I personally think we wear what I would consider appropriate swimsuits for our age.

I just never even thought of not doing it before I saw your post. It made me somewhat freek out.:)

I was really surprised by the question if ladies over 60 brought swimsuits.

I am over 60 and never thought about not bringing and wearing a swimsuit, it just never entered my head.

We usually travel with a group who are in their 50's, 60's, and even 70's. We all have bathing suits and we all go to the pool. I personally think we wear what I would consider appropriate swimsuits for our age.

I just never even thought of not doing it before I saw your post. It made me somewhat freek out.:)

I kind of had the same reaction. Not bring a suit because I'm over some 'ideal' age or no longer have the perfect figure? It would never even occur to me. If you've been on many cruises, you will soon realize that many (most?) people don't look like swim suit models.

69 tomorrow; leaving to put on my running shorts and tank top for a nice morning run/walk with my pony-tail, and non-perfect legs and arms.