Holland America tranferring 2 ships to P&O

I remember the adage of "Cruising is for the Newly weds and the nearly deads". While I think they cater for a whole range in between this , those two demographics are still very plentiful on board.:D

Maybe we're behind the times here then, there's a whole breadth of cruisers on the US lines.

HAL though targets a certain demographic, and increasing that to two ships here year round would not work.

Maybe we're behind the times here then, there's a whole breadth of cruisers on the US lines.

HAL though targets a certain demographic, and increasing that to two ships here year round would not work.

I think the mix of companies cruising here in Australia is reasonable in terms of differing ships offering slightly different products that attract the different age demographic. But you are right, two HAL ships wouldn't work so well but having them as P&O and offering alternative itineraries may be a master stroke. I am hoping so anyway.:D

Princess Australia are giving them a good run for their money in Australia.:D

Indeed David, Princess Australia = 'Floating Aussie and Kiwi Aged Care Facilities.'

I have heard the term 'Floating RSL Clubs' too with the ages and poker machines galore.

Going back a few pages and the talk on passenger numbers I need to add we have returned from the Pearl today. The captain announced that there will be two new ships, with a capacity of 1600 passengers. (At the time I did say if it holds 1600 then it will hold 1200 now).

He also said it will be 'Australianised' for the local market.

After gong on the Voyager last year and Queen Elizabeth this year, I don't think I'll be able to convince my wife to go on P&O again.

It will be a hard call as we can go on other lines for a very similar price to what we pay for Auckland departures. Including tips and airfares.

Going back a few pages and the talk on passenger numbers I need to add we have returned from the Pearl today. The captain announced that there will be two new ships, with a capacity of 1600 passengers. (At the time I did say if it holds 1600 then it will hold 1200 now).

After gong on the Voyager last year and Queen Elizabeth this year, I don't think I'll be able to convince my wife to go on P&O again.

It will be a hard call as we can go on other lines for a very similar price to what we pay for Auckland departures. Including tips and airfares.

Right on Steve, Ryndam for instance max pax 1268, but P&O will load more.

So they are increasing capacity after all. Our fears about the suites may prove right.:(

Ryndam has 1,260 lower berths, but there are plenty of cabins with three or four berths. Please look at the deck plans. I counted 140 three-berth cabins and 38 four-berth cabins.:) They wouldn't have to add any additional berths to reach the 1,600 figure mentioned.

Edited by Aus Traveller

Hmmm, never let the truth get in the way of a good story... These ships carry 1268 pax standard occupancy and 1538 pax all berths. No changes needed.

I am quite excited about trying out these ships :) I think that they look lovely ships and a great size for P&O to be able to offer new and interesting ports. I hope they take advantage of this opportunity, after all, no matter how much you love to cruise I think there is a maximum number of times you can voluntarily go to Noumea.

Hmmm, never let the truth get in the way of a good story... These ships carry 1268 pax standard occupancy and 1538 pax all berths. No changes needed.

I am quite excited about trying out these ships :) I think that they look lovely ships and a great size for P&O to be able to offer new and interesting ports. I hope they take advantage of this opportunity, after all, no matter how much you love to cruise I think there is a maximum number of times you can voluntarily go to Noumea.

I hope you are right. I too am looking forward to alternate itineraries.:D

I hope they take advantage of this opportunity, after all, no matter how much you love to cruise I think there is a maximum number of times you can voluntarily go to Noumea.

I like Noumea. This recent trip has taught me several lessons;

1 Driving on the right, keeping right, sticking to the speed limit when traffic is backing up on the narrow streets of Noumea in a Peugeot that has a delay of at least 5 seconds between foot on accelerator pedal is not a pleasant experience that I will try again.

2. After taking ones life into own hands, returning the rental (unscathed) and looking to get a beer (or wine) (or two, or 3or 4) this is 'no possible' unless you buy a meal as well - after 12pm on Wednesday's, Friday's, Saturday's and Sunday's.

Where else can the ships go? Fiji, Tonga, Rarotonga and Tahiti take too long to get to on a ship from Sydney / Brisbane.

Do the Solomon's have sufficient infrastructure to make P&O shore tour turnover?

Norfolk Island would be popular, if they get a permanent, safe port.

Who knows?

I like Noumea. This recent trip has taught me several lessons;

1 Driving on the right, keeping right, sticking to the speed limit when traffic is backing up on the narrow streets of Noumea in a Peugeot that has a delay of at least 5 seconds between foot on accelerator pedal is not a pleasant experience that I will try again.

2. After taking ones life into own hands, returning the rental (unscathed) and looking to get a beer (or wine) (or two, or 3or 4) this is 'no possible' unless you buy a meal as well - after 12pm on Wednesday's, Friday's, Saturday's and Sunday's.

Where else can the ships go? Fiji, Tonga, Rarotonga and Tahiti take too long to get to on a ship from Sydney / Brisbane.

Do the Solomon's have sufficient infrastructure to make P&O shore tour turnover?

Norfolk Island would be popular, if they get a permanent, safe port.

Who knows?

South in the summer and north in the winter, and any port along the coast that can take tenders regularly. :D

Which aint going to happen since this current government canned that project.

There have been a lot of projects that have been canned and new budget measures introduced, some of which will affect cruisers more than others.

It wasnt really a port , as I understood it to be ....rather a bigger crane that would lift the tender boats out of the water and onto land. It was touted as an all weather solution , but I believe mother nature also helped to put pay to that idea.:eek:

If you want to visit Norfolk Island...fly.

It wasnt really a port , as I understood it to be ....rather a bigger crane that would lift the tender boats out of the water and onto land. It was touted as an all weather solution , but I believe mother nature also helped to put pay to that idea.:eek:

I read somewhere that they only allow 400 guests onto Lord Howe island at one time (per day), so that would be off any possible itinerary as well. :D

Maybe they should have just gone ahead with the plan and not worried about the cost and put us further into debt just to keep a few people happy ... Oh that was the other mob wan't it.

Agreed, it wasn't a whole new port.

However, the whole project had been approved, along with a series of others in that round. When the new government came in, all were cancelled, without review.

Maybe they should have just gone ahead with the plan and not worried about the cost and put us further into debt just to keep a few people happy ... Oh that was the other mob wan't it.

Yeah, maybe... Except hang on, they've redirected 50billion towards roads, haven't they. And another unnecessary and unwanted 9 billion to the Reserve Bank. Amongst other pet spending projects.

Clearly, it's not about actual costs and debt, just political favouritism and interests from this mob... like pretty much all their decisions.

Yeah, maybe... Except hang on, they've redirected 50billion towards roads, haven't they. And another unnecessary and unwanted 9 billion to the Reserve Bank. Amongst other pet spending projects.

Clearly, it's not about actual costs and debt, just political favouritism and interests from this mob... like pretty much all their decisions.

Fifty billion for roads...... what a waste ...surely it would have been better used to save global warming or bringing out more boat people...but enough.... this is a cruise forum.....no more politics .

Fifty billion for roads...... what a waste ...surely it would have been better used to save global warming or bringing out more boat people...but enough.... this is a cruise forum.....no more politics .

You were the one who started the complaint about a few hundred thousand being a bad debt. And that WAS for a cruise related purpose, so no need trying to redirect now when you were the one who took it down this path.

It goes to show that argument has nothing to do with it.

The other spending cancelled is on such wasteful things as pension supplements, unemployed payments, and rail transport links as other infrastructure. Yes, that's all such wasteful, bad spending. :rolleyes:

Agreed, it wasn't a whole new port.

However, the whole project had been approved, along with a series of others in that round. When the new government came in, all were cancelled, without review.

The Aust government had committed $13 million to improve Norfolk's Islands two jetties and build better tenders to transfer passengers. Has that been cancelled? I've tried to check on the internet but haven't found any reference to this.

By the way Aust has already put in more than $48 million in emergency funding.

Edited by Aus Traveller

The Aust government had committed $13 million to improve Norfolk's Islands two jetties and build better tenders to transfer passengers. Has that been cancelled? I've tried to check on the internet but haven't found any reference to this.

Yes, it was one of a number of projects submitted that had been approved. This was done under the Labor government.

Not sure if you remember, but when the current Liberal government came in, they cancelled a lot of things that were in progress, where they could. This was one of the projects that were cancelled.