Is 'Room Only' cruising on the horizon?

Bill B

Fortunately for DW and myself we can choose what we want to pay extra for on a cruise. If we think something is to costly or feel it is unnecessary we do not purchase it. We eat in the MDR most nights and see no reason to patronize the pat to eat venues. In others words if we do not like it we do not use it. Why complain when you have a choice?

When they start charging extra to eat in the MDR, I'll agree with your argument. Room service has always been "free" and I (myself alone) have used it daily. Now I don't "have a choice." No one else is going to bring coffee and breakfast to me. (Hmm...DH hasn't heard about this change yet...)

Maybe that was the now defunct Easy Cruise? I remember finding out about it when I was writing a comparison of cruiselines for another site.

From what I understand' date=' you would pay for any food on board, to have your extremely small cabin cleaned, etc. The ship would basically be in port all day and much of the night so you can get your meals in port if you want -- and then it will sail late, late at night to the next port. No sea days.

I found this thread by googling: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1142119[/quote']

At one point the cabins were £1pppd on UK bookings(cruise only) in the Caribbean.

The issue is that people don't really want PAYG cruising for everything.

People that want cheap cruise generally want cheap micro payments on board, booze meals to be cheap also.

If you try to charge luxury prices for the extra bits like celebrity is doing people want the basic to be a higher standard.

The more you transition from the fare to onboard the increased the resistance to high onboard prices(because you attract the more price iseres)

There is a market for a true budget AI(basic) ship, where you can get on and not spend another $ if you don't want to, RCCL runs ships like this for the UK market under the Island brand(part owed with TUI) Although just to be clear they do charge for room service

Edited by insidecabin

I've been looking at Princess a lot lately, but I have to say that I enjoy going on a ship and knowing that the optional extras are mainly spa, drinks, and some specialty dining. Once everything is for a fee it kind of gets in my head and I don't really feel relaxed, I feel a bit more anxious about the spending. I don't enjoy the feeling of paying to go somewhere and then being hit with charge after charge at rates that are similar to usury. Maybe that's why I dislike Disney World. And you're right, I don't have to pay for options I don't want. But I just don't like that everything for a charge feeling.

I find these type of charges tacky and insulting. A $3 room service charge is tacky. Only way I can put it.

Five cents here, ten cents there...

Now Princess is charging $10.00 for the Pizzeria, $3.00 for Room Service and $3.00 for a fruit bowl in your stateroom on the Regal, I predict it won't be long before literally everything on board during a cruise (except your stateroom) will be 'chargeable'.

This will be 'spun' as -

"In response to passenger demands we are introducing Pay Only For Usage Cruising (POFUC) Passengers pay only for the goods and services actually used/consumed on their cruise. This will allow us to keep costs down, reduce waste and lessen the carbon footprint of each passenger."

How long until the average 'folio' will be twice the cost of the booking?

Geez, don't give them any ideas!

When they start charging extra to eat in the MDR, I'll agree with your argument. Room service has always been "free" and I (myself alone) have used it daily. Now I don't "have a choice." No one else is going to bring coffee and breakfast to me. (Hmm...DH hasn't heard about this change yet...)

Of course you could always get up, get dressed and get it yourself which is a choice.

Of course you could always get up, get dressed and get it yourself which is a choice.

The choice is someone brings it or someone doesn't. That's the definition of "room service." Perhaps you would be so kind as to get up, get dressed and go get it for me? That's my choice. :)

IMHO they should have upped the fare $13 which would allow for everyone to get to Alfredo's (which won't happen) and have paid at least 1 room service which should cover for those that don't use it. It seems like they prefer to go towards the A La Carte rather then an inclusive way. I am going on my first River cruise next Spring with Viking and hope to be able to switch to River cruises which are very close all inclusive.

The lowest price for river cruises tends to be in the $300 per person per day with window range, compared to $100 per person per day for the main stream cruise lines inside or 125 for ocean view. Though the river cruises are a bit more all inclusive. So the river cruises are more in the price range of the low end all inclusive cruise lines.

I just booked and paid for Viking River cruises 13 days for "The Jewels of China" for $3297 in high season. It included everything, soda, wine, ALL Excursions and meals not only on board but during the land portion. There are 2 inter island flights and that was included. This was a balcony cabin on the River portion. That broke down to approx $250 per day all inclusive which is very comparable to a Princess Mini Suite Per Diem which doesn't include anywhere near as much.

One of the reasons we like cruising is that we aren't constantly paying for things, and when we do it is a choice not a necessity. We would be much less inclined to choose cruising for vacations if they started charging the way airlines do. :eek:

The choice is someone brings it or someone doesn't. That's the definition of "room service." Perhaps you would be so kind as to get up, get dressed and go get it for me? That's my choice. :)

You pay for the cruise and all MY expenses I will gladly go get it for you. When do we leave?

Any cruise line that goes this route (and several seem headed that way) risk shooting themselves in the foot. For perspective, last week on Pacific Princess, after paying for a full suite, our final on board charges came to right at $1,800. That included two pricey shore excursions for two plus the usual bar, crew tip additions and $200 in FCC. We did not spend the whole trip in the bar as you might think. We also had pre purchased $172 worth of booze from Princess for in the suite. Drinks, with the 15% added in every time add up to around $15 to $18 every time we bought a pair of drinks. Add these charges to the price of the suite and I can easily spend a week on Seabourn (or you pick it). Princess is a decent product. Not the best we have ever sailed but not the worst either. It has always been said Princess provide good value for money. Seems to be creeping away from that.

Five cents here, ten cents there...

Now Princess is charging $10.00 for the Pizzeria, $3.00 for Room Service and $3.00 for a fruit bowl in your stateroom on the Regal, I predict it won't be long before literally everything on board during a cruise (except your stateroom) will be 'chargeable'.

This will be 'spun' as -

"In response to passenger demands we are introducing Pay Only For Usage Cruising (POFUC) Passengers pay only for the goods and services actually used/consumed on their cruise. This will allow us to keep costs down, reduce waste and lessen the carbon footprint of each passenger."

How long until the average 'folio' will be twice the cost of the booking?

I don't think this will happen. I think if it did the cruise industry would be hurt. It is unfortunate to hear of the extra charges on the Regal but it is still possible to eat well and not incur the extra charges.

I remember the shock back in 2003 when Princess started charging for after-dinner cappuccinos and other specialty coffees. They were still free on our August cruise but Princess started charging for them shortly afterward. DH still drinks them, but it's a bit of a pain--either buying a coffee card and using the punches or else buying them individually. He doesn't drink the brewed coffee, so that perk of the coffee card isn't much of a perk. He did enjoy the hot chocolate on our last Alaskan cruise.

Overall, it's the way Princess has handled this that is upsetting. If I were on the Regal, I'd be really upset since the Princess website still has the info about complimentary room service.

By the time we sail on Princess again, they'll either decide to make this a fleetwide policy and update the website--or else they'll decide not to alienate their customer base. The industry already has a reputation of nickel and diming. I don't see how being the first to charge a fee for room service will benefit Princess.

If you wish to see the future of mass market cruises just look at airlines. The cruise industry is slowly following the pack them in and charge for everything airline business model.

Taking a cruise is never a necessity.

Taking a plane flight often is for business reasons, to go to a funeral, when driving would take too long, etc.

Edited by caribill

This trend toward "ala carte" pricing on mainstream cruiselines leaves me with mixed feelings.....

The cruiselines will cut the fares to get you aboard in this fiercely competitive market, and then try to recoup profits with on board spending.

This is great for those of us that love to get on a cruise cheaply, and not spend a penny extra on board....satisfied by whatever is still included.

On the other hand, when most everything was included, the 'economy-of-scale' by all passenger's getting everything, meant perhaps a lower overall cost for all that wished to enjoy the better cuisine and amenities included.

So now, the difference between say, booking a suite on a mainstream cruiseline, and then spending for the 'extra's', is not much different than booking on a luxury, all-inclusive cruiseline.......

For some things it's not about the money it's the convenience of not having to have a card swipe for everything.

I want to pay a price and have an easy time on the ship, grab a bite to eat, walk into a venue, don't like what's going on move on.

On the food side we like to sometime hit multiple locations for a meal if we end up with multiple cover charges every where that won't work, fully ala carte will be logistic nightmare paying for stuff.

Once you have been on a ship where the only thing you need your card for is a room key you realise how inconvenient the forever getting you card out to pay for stuff is.

Drinks and meal charges with plenty of included options, beyond that and it is review the choice time.

I remember the shock back in 2003 when Princess started charging for after-dinner cappuccinos and other specialty coffees. They were still free on our August cruise but Princess started charging for them shortly afterward. DH still drinks them, but it's a bit of a pain--either buying a coffee card and using the punches or else buying them individually. He doesn't drink the brewed coffee, so that perk of the coffee card isn't much of a perk. He did enjoy the hot chocolate on our last Alaskan cruise.

Overall, it's the way Princess has handled this that is upsetting. If I were on the Regal, I'd be really upset since the Princess website still has the info about complimentary room service.

By the time we sail on Princess again, they'll either decide to make this a fleetwide policy and update the website--or else they'll decide not to alienate their customer base. The industry already has a reputation of nickel and diming. I don't see how being the first to charge a fee for room service will benefit Princess.

Why did I think you had booked the 50th Anniversary cruise. And here I am spreading false rumors. :eek: So what are the chances?

For some things it's not about the money it's the convenience of not having to have a card swipe for everything.

Once you have been on a ship where the only thing you need your card for is a room key you realise how inconvenient the forever getting you card out to pay for stuff is.

Absolutely! And it's always just one more opportunity for me to lose the thing and then go see my friends (again) at guest services. ;)