Room service charge coming???????

bcnvcanada

Not if you have the popcorn delivered to the room. It may cost $3. I'd be willing to bet that if they did not let pax remove tips you would not see these incidental charges being discussed.

These charges have NOTHING to do with tipping. These are SERVICE charges and not for the welfare of the crew being some sort of de facto tip. This is about padding the cruise line bottomline, not about staff being tipped adequately.

I don't advocate removing tips, I never have removed tips, but the day they build it into the fare and make it non-optional I promise service will drop. What recourse will PAX have? None. Same price if service is good or if it's bad. It's a lowering of standards for PAX.

the other to charge extra for mixers on mixed alcoholic drinks. Unbelievable!!

!!

What does this mean "charge extra for mixers on mixed alcoholic drinks" How else would you drink a "mixed" drink if its not "mixed? Please explain?

What does this mean "charge extra for mixers on mixed alcoholic drinks" How else would you drink a "mixed" drink if its not "mixed? Please explain?

It is what I read on the Princess board...if you ask for say rum and Coke someone on the Regal said they were charged an extra 50 cents for the coke on top of the drink price.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

This is very true. But when I take my mercedes in there are no extra charges. I drop it off (or they pick it up); I get a new mercedes to drive however long it takes my car to be serviced and my car comes back squeaky clean. The service department has even changed it so I don't have to go to the cashier to pay. If I happen to go inside there are 50 different kinds of coffee, soft drinks and snacks so I won't starve those 5 minutes I wait on a loaner. But pay up front? Boy do I ever. But to me it is well worth it. I'm trying to make this relate to cruising--mass market vs. luxury I suppose.

Yes Sail this is a sign of the times. It's called downloading.

In my job we charge to fix your car, we charge you for alternative transportation-shuttle bus or loaner, we charge you to pick up and redeliver your car. We call it choice or transparency- while maintaining our hourly rate not decreasing it. Some people accept that and some see it as a devaluation of service from what they used to get for the same hourly rate.

To me it's shell game and very comparable to the cruise industry.

It is what I read on the Princess board...if you ask for say rum and Coke someone on the Regal said they were charged an extra 50 cents for the coke on top of the drink price.

Maybe they are encouraging a BYOM "Bring your own mixer."

On our last cruise we had to bring our own ginger ale. When we buy our gin from the ship at the beginning of our cruises it no longer comes with the cans of ginger ale. So last cruise we lugged two cases of ginger ale with us.

Maybe (like hotels) the cruise lines need to start supplying small coffee pots in the cabins. For us that would eliminate the need for room service. If we didn't need to fly we actually could bring our own. All we use room service for is coffee in the morning!

I do feel sorry for the workers who get their tips from delivering room service. I think they will be hurt by this. If HAL decides to start charging for room service.

Make these cruises I mentioned $999. Have a crew member meet me at the gangway and show me to my cabin,have more waiters on staff,better shows,more activities, and stop the runaway train from driving through the front doors of Walmart. If there's any money left we can send the maitre d in for an operation give him his backbone back,and he can shoo away the tracksuit wearers on formal nights.

This is very true. But when I take my mercedes in there are no extra charges. I drop it off (or they pick it up); I get a new mercedes to drive however long it takes my car to be serviced and my car comes back squeaky clean. The service department has even changed it so I don't have to go to the cashier to pay. If I happen to go inside there are 50 different kinds of coffee, soft drinks and snacks so I won't starve those 5 minutes I wait on a loaner. But pay up front? Boy do I ever. But to me it is well worth it. I'm trying to make this relate to cruising--mass market vs. luxury I suppose.

I agree with these posts and think there are some HAL cruisers who have reached the point where it's difficult to keep excusing add-on costs and service cut-backs in favor of keeping the cabin cost artificially low. It's getting ridiculous. I agree that I'd rather see them raise the cost per cabin and put back a few "signatures of excellence."

Edited by cruisemom42

I agree with these posts and think there are some HAL cruisers who have reached the point where it's difficult to keep excusing add-on costs and service cut-backs in favor of keeping the cabin cost artificially low. It's getting ridiculous. I agree that I'd rather see them raise the cost per cabin and put back a few "signatures of excellence."

I agree with you. Took me a while to catch up and read this thread and I understand what is going on. I think Princess is starting it only on the one ship right now to take the initial PR hit like HA cruisers did to HAL wine policy change. Princess may reevaluate, put on hold, clarify or make a small change but in the end Princess will implement the charge. Will HA see it? Who knows. Some of the posters addressed tipping included/not included in the charge for room service. Please correct me if I am wrong. But wouldn't the tip for the room service charge (technically) be considered part of the daily graturity charge. My thought is that the crew divides by percentage the total pot so wouldn't he be covered for the delivery? I tip extra for service ie. Pinnacle, room service and other specialty restaurants. But that's me and that's my choice. Not everyone does and I understand that. It seems like HAL is nickle and diming you to come up with additional means of revenue. Some HA loyalists would argue that it keeps cruise fares low and is why they continue to cruise HA. If I don't use it, I don't pay additionaly for it. I get it. I don' t think anyone likes to pay a higher fare or see changes being made to a system that you are accustomed too. I'm still going to use the room service even if there is a charge. Just like the wine change. I don't like the policy(or the cost) but I still buy the wine packages as it's the only show in town. There are a few perks with Mariner status granted but it still bothers me what your paying for that $7 bottle of wine onboard.

Maybe (like hotels) the cruise lines need to start supplying small coffee pots in the cabins. For us that would eliminate the need for room service. If we didn't need to fly we actually could bring our own. All we use room service for is coffee in the morning!

I do feel sorry for the workers who get their tips from delivering room service. I think they will be hurt by this. If HAL decides to start charging for room service.

Your suggestion gets my vote. Mostly we just order coffee unless we have a very early excursion.

These emails I get for cruise prices are so cheap,it's probably cheaper to go on a cruise than stay home. Only speaking for inside cabins,I've received emails this week for 7 day Alaska for $399 7 day Canada/New England $399

There's a Celebrity Bermuda cruise in June for $399 for a week.Then in July it goes up to a whopping $599

With these rock bottom prices,I guess they have to get money from somewhere. I highly doubt charging $3 for room service is going to have them making boat loads of money. People will work around this,they'll simply bring their cooler on wheels and wheel it down to the lido and fill it with food. Problem solved.

$399 for a 7 day cruise then people want to bring their own wine and pay NO corkage,and then want 5 star service. Downright laughable.

Make these cruises I mentioned $999. Have a crew member meet me at the gangway and show me to my cabin,have more waiters on staff,better shows,more activities, and stop the runaway train from driving through the front doors of Walmart. If there's any money left we can send the maitre d in for an operation give him his backbone back,and he can shoo away the tracksuit wearers on formal nights.

I would like to nominate you for president/CEO of HAL!

The ever-cheaper fare means the cruise lines have to cut services. They're chasing the new cruiser, who can be lured in by the advertised low fares. And new cruisers don't remember the little (and big) niceties that some of us long-time cruisers remember and miss.

I just got home from a crossing on QM2. I paid a lot more than $399 for my week, and I was not in a high-end cabin. No, even Cunard doesn't have a crew member walk you to your cabin any more. (maybe if you're in a suite, I don't know about that) But my extra money got me free room service, good entertainment (string quartet, jazz, combo, pianists in the lounges, live music for dancing on a big dance floor, production shows--OK, those are no better than HAL's), daytime activities with incredible lecturers (history, current affairs, authors, and QM2's designer and first Master). Also computer lessons, photo workshops, bridge lessons, dance lessons. And there was more, but that's all I can remember. Lots of public space. The ship was sold-out, but it never seemed crowded. Elegant formal nights. And even good "informal" nights--not a track suit to be seen at dinner.

I love Cunard, but it is expensive and there are very few sailings from the US. I've sailed with a bunch of other lines in the past, and gradually taken them off the list as service gets worse and ships get too big. I'm down to HAL (for good US-based itineraries, good service, small ships) and Cunard (see above).

If HAL continues to compete in the cheap market, I'm left with very few options for cruising. I would be sad to give up on HAL, but if I don't like the way they're changing, I will have to decide if I'll accept the changes or go elsewhere. I'm just not sure where "elsewhere" is.

I agree, HAL and it's customers need to decide what works better. A higher price for the cruise where more is included with a higher level of service or go the wAy of a la carte. In our case we virtually never order room service so if they charged some nominal cost it would not impact us. The more I cruise the more I would prefer to pay a higher price with more items included. I have posted many times on this forum that HAL needs to charge more. If they don't, what differentiates them from all the other mass lines?

Maybe following Princess's lead is not such a bad thing. We were on the Grand Princess in February, and we found several things that we wish HAL would include. We loved the service, especially in the dining room, always a waiter close by, glasses always filled, and the wait staff never seemed to be overwhelmed by the number of tables they handled, less than HAL. There was also a large space between tables, and one never felt crowded or confined when pulling chairs out. The room stewards were very attentive, cabins always cleaned in a timely manner, and if you requested something, the room steward came promptly and fixed or delivered what was needed. The food was delicious, the speciality restaurants far exceeded the ones on HAL, and the onboard credit for military service was a nice plus. There was always something to do onboard, even on sea days, and the entertainment was very good as well as shopping in the onboard shops. There was also a free one time bar set up for suite passengers as well as free laundry, appetizers, and fresh flowers that were actually changed for new ones during the cruise. These are some of the reasons we are taking our next cruise on Princess.

I would like to nominate you for president/CEO of HAL!

The ever-cheaper fare means the cruise lines have to cut services. They're chasing the new cruiser, who can be lured in by the advertised low fares. And new cruisers don't remember the little (and big) niceties that some of us long-time cruisers remember and miss.

I just got home from a crossing on QM2. I paid a lot more than $399 for my week, and I was not in a high-end cabin. No, even Cunard doesn't have a crew member walk you to your cabin any more. (maybe if you're in a suite, I don't know about that) But my extra money got me free room service, good entertainment (string quartet, jazz, combo, pianists in the lounges, live music for dancing on a big dance floor, production shows--OK, those are no better than HAL's), daytime activities with incredible lecturers (history, current affairs, authors, and QM2's designer and first Master). Also computer lessons, photo workshops, bridge lessons, dance lessons. And there was more, but that's all I can remember. Lots of public space. The ship was sold-out, but it never seemed crowded. Elegant formal nights. And even good "informal" nights--not a track suit to be seen at dinner.

I love Cunard, but it is expensive and there are very few sailings from the US. I've sailed with a bunch of other lines in the past, and gradually taken them off the list as service gets worse and ships get too big. I'm down to HAL (for good US-based itineraries, good service, small ships) and Cunard (see above).

If HAL continues to compete in the cheap market, I'm left with very few options for cruising. I would be sad to give up on HAL, but if I don't like the way they're changing, I will have to decide if I'll accept the changes or go elsewhere. I'm just not sure where "elsewhere" is.

I can't understand why a business would want to lure in $399 passengers? Is this a one time thing,then they charge them $999 next cruise? This $399 cruise is the 900lb gorilla in the room that nobody ever mentions.

The new $399 cruiser is used to spending the same amount of money to go camping for a week. Voila... Now they're on a ship have no idea of dress codes and just show up to the dining room with the same clothes they roast s'mores in.

I can't understand why a business would want to lure in $399 passengers? Is this a one time thing,then they charge them $999 next cruise? This $399 cruise is the 900lb gorilla in the room that nobody ever mentions.

The new $399 cruiser is used to spending the same amount of money to go camping for a week. Voila... Now they're on a ship have no idea of dress codes and just show up to the dining room with the same clothes they roast s'mores in.

Selling a cabin for $399 is better than sailing with it empty.

I agree with you. Took me a while to catch up and read this thread and I understand what is going on. I think Princess is starting it only on the one ship right now to take the initial PR hit like HA cruisers did to HAL wine policy change. Princess may reevaluate, put on hold, clarify or make a small change but in the end Princess will implement the charge. Will HA see it? Who knows. Some of the posters addressed tipping included/not included in the charge for room service. Please correct me if I am wrong. But wouldn't the tip for the room service charge (technically) be considered part of the daily graturity charge. My thought is that the crew divides by percentage the total pot so wouldn't he be covered for the delivery? I tip extra for service ie. Pinnacle, room service and other specialty restaurants. But that's me and that's my choice. Not everyone does and I understand that. It seems like HAL is nickle and diming you to come up with additional means of revenue. Some HA loyalists would argue that it keeps cruise fares low and is why they continue to cruise HA. If I don't use it, I don't pay additionaly for it. I get it. I don' t think anyone likes to pay a higher fare or see changes being made to a system that you are accustomed too. I'm still going to use the room service even if there is a charge. Just like the wine change. I don't like the policy(or the cost) but I still buy the wine packages as it's the only show in town. There are a few perks with Mariner status granted but it still bothers me what your paying for that $7 bottle of wine onboard.

The 'Hotel Service Charge' is the gratuity! I do not nor will I ever 'tip extra'! The stewards receive a salary + a tip (Hotel Service Charge)! ;)

Selling a cabin for $399 is better than sailing with it empty.

I disagree,having any empty cabin or cabins is not the end of the world. Or do you fear that the cruise line will lose the $10,000 dollars in art sales the guy in the $399 cabin was going to spend?

The 'Hotel Service Charge' is the gratuity! I do not nor will I ever 'tip extra'! The stewards receive a salary + a tip (Hotel Service Charge)! ;)

Good for you. I'll have a special ribbon made you can pin on your chest

You are so right. On our recent Alaska cruise there was a group of young people dressed like they were going to a dogfight who were wandering around the Ocean Bar with beer bottles in hand, swigging as they went along. They were looking for the party crowd but don't think they ever found it. It cheapens the experience for everyone.

When I read about the $399 cabins I thought it was too good to be true so I went to my favorite site to see. I found the prices, but come on how many people can do those cruises. One was for June 1st and the other was June 7th. I do believe these prices are to lure you into the site and hook you with another cruise for a bit further out. Yes some people who are lucky enough to live with-in driving distance of the port can take advantage, but I am sure if there are one or two sold that would be about it. IF HAL can't run their ships with the fare and the already additional charges they are charging then they will need to raise the fares. I would sooner that then to begin nickle and diming us at every turn.

I disagree,having any empty cabin or cabins is not the end of the world. Or do you fear that the cruise line will lose the $10,000 dollars in art sales the guy in the $399 cabin was going to spend?

It's economies of scale. A pax will spend more than an empty cabin. $3 for one coffee or $1200 for spas, excursions, etc. it is all part of the bean counters' projections.

With an overwhelming glut of ships it is saturation that causes the prices. I have no problems with it; many lines don't discount nearly that deeply and are comfortable with empty rooms. Mainstream mass market lines just aren't afforded that luxury.

You must have missed the next sentence so here it is again "I tip extra for service ie. Pinnacle, room service and other specialty restaurants. But that's me and that's my choice. Not everyone does and I understand that."

Please note a couple of items. First of all we are scheduled on a Princess cruise, and are paying over 400 usd a day for a inside cabin. We don't feel that that is overly cheap. Second Princess has for now STOPPED the room service charge. Third we are changing our future cruises with HAL and Princess to other cruise lines not carnival corp. ships. We will miss the perks with both lines, but feel it is a time to move on.

Please note a couple of items. First of all we are scheduled on a Princess cruise, and are paying over 400 usd a day for a inside cabin. We don't feel that that is overly cheap. Second Princess has for now STOPPED the room service charge. Third we are changing our future cruises with HAL and Princess to other cruise lines not carnival corp. ships. We will miss the perks with both lines, but feel it is a time to move on.

I am going to assume that Princess "STOPPED" the charge because of all the negative flack they are receiving about it. Let's see if they put out a statement like HA did for the wine policy change. Maybe they will reevaluate the policy.