Just Back From Westerdam Alaska

avalon1025

What a great cruise, every aspect was above my expectations (perhaps due to having come

off Crown Princess three weeks ago, which was awful). Loved the size of the ship, the extremely friendly crew and the excellent Neptune Lounge. Not sure why people are concerned about the Neptune on the Westerdam, service was excellent, plenty of food, a highlight of the trip. We ate most meals in Pinnacle Grill which was great (so much better than the Crown Grill on Princess), and the themed nights were fun and delicious (LeCirque, etc). We also ate in Canaletto which was a nice more casual dining option.

It was great having the spa pass for Alaska as well, well used after some of those chilly rainy ports of call.

Ports were the typical Alaska run, all fine with varying weather (rain, sun, wind, rain....)

Ship was full, but no crowds. Overall a lovely ship, great ports and great crew. Ship was in good condition after her dry dock. Would not hesitate to recommend the Westerdam.

What a great cruise, every aspect was above my expectations (perhaps due to having come

off Crown Princess three weeks ago, which was awful). Loved the size of the ship, the extremely friendly crew and the excellent Neptune Lounge. Not sure why people are concerned about the Neptune on the Westerdam, service was excellent, plenty of food, a highlight of the trip. We ate most meals in Pinnacle Grill which was great (so much better than the Crown Grill on Princess), and the themed nights were fun and delicious (LeCirque, etc). We also ate in Canaletto which was a nice more casual dining option.

It was great having the spa pass for Alaska as well, well used after some of those chilly rainy ports of call.

Ports were the typical Alaska run, all fine with varying weather (rain, sun, wind, rain....)

GShip was full, but no crowds. Overall a lovely ship, great ports and great crew. Ship was in good condition after her dry dock. Would not hesitate to recommend the Westerdam.

great to know as we are on her this fall.

thanks for the short review.

Ship was full, but no crowds. Overall a lovely ship, great ports and great crew. Ship was in good condition after her dry dock. Would not hesitate to recommend the Westerdam.

Thanks for the report! Two months from Monday I leave!! :) (Two months from today I will be in Seattle!)

from a non-Neptune suite, non-Pinnacle Grill passenger who has been on all the Vista ships plus other HAL ships, some several times:

High points:

Alaska.

Bed in our Signature suite.

Room service for breakfast (twice) and lunch (once). Always hot and always on time. Fresh squeezed OJ

Crew

Low points:

"At your service" phone number for the Signature Suites is a joke. On hold twice for 20 minutes just to get more ice. The second time I walked to the front desk to ask for it.

Dining. We were placed in late fixed even though our boarding pass had us in open (as we always do) Had to go see Ricco/Enrico ? to have it changed. He was VERY reluctant since he said the ship was almost full and open would be very crowded. I said I didn't really care since we were planning to eat in the Lido anyway...just wanted to give up what apparently was a prime table for two so someone else could have it. Next time I won't bother. Now the Lido. Since the MDR lunch hours were very, very limited (12-1) and the lines to get in were long, most people were eating in the Lido. IT WAS PACKED. I have never seen such crowds on any other HAL ship. First time we just went back to the cabin and ordered room service. Second day decided to come back later and I went to the Explorations Cafe for a couple of their little sandwiches to tide me over.

Food. Never had breakfast potatoes more than luke warm even though I always asked if they were warm, and was told yes. Halibut night in the Lido (Ketchikan). HAL had their salmon BBQ for lunch but it wasn't in the ON Location Guide so was only sparsely attended. So what happened to the left-over salmon you might ask? Well, we in the Lido got it for dinner instead of the halibut. That's what the cooks on both sides said. On the last night the Lido had Bourbon Glazed Beef. It was RAW. not rare, RAW. I asked the cook to put it on the grill for a couple of minutes so it would be edible. While I was waiting no one in line asked for it, and ate the less expensive offerings. Finally, there was never any Prime Rib or Beef Wellington in the Lido, which we have always had on Vista Class ships.

There were a few other glitches but the one thing I really found to be strange was in the Lido on day 6 for breakfast and dinner.The crew member in charge of the rolling coffee cart on the starboard side was wearing a Husky mask, holding a rubber ball that made loud squeeky sounds and singing/saying loudly in a falsetto voice "Have a Nice Day", while he walked up and down not serving any coffee. Carnival anyone? It was bizarre.

There were also unusually long lines whenever we went to the Front Desk.

We are planning to take another Alaska cruise this September - but will likely go on the Amsterdam instead.

One last thing - there are no drinks other than coffee, tea and water in the Lido during lunch and dinner. No lemonade, no fruit punch, etc. This is the first time that happened.

However, if you want a drink that's offered in the Lido during breakfast, just ask. It will be brought to you.

I do this at lunch many days.