How do Passengers Dress

Cruisegirl6

On smart casual nights most men just wear dress pants and either a polo, sweater, short or long sleeved dress shirt or a Hawaiian type shirt. Personally I always get cold so I wear dress pants and a long sleeve dress shirt.

On formal nights most men just wear dark suites. Its pretty easy though to avoid formal night though if that does not interest you by dining in one of the specialty restaurants (always smart casual) or the buffet.

On smart casual evenings a polo or short sleeve shirt with khakis or dark slacks/jeans is fine. On formal nights men should wear jacket and tie in the MDR. Specialty restaurants and Blu are smart casual all the time, but on formal night many will be in suits/tuxes, while others in dressier shirts(long sleeve dress, nicer aloha) or sport coats with polo and nice slacks.

If you wish to be more casual (shorts/tees)you can dine at Bistro on 5, the buffet or order from the MDR for room service.

You're going to have a lot of people tell you that you don't have to dress up on formal night. They might be right, but on our last cruise we were in AQ and didn't dress up when we went to Blu the first formal night. We felt completely out of place and we made sure to dress up for the second formal night.

We are considering a Celebrity cruise and curious at dinner do any men wear dress pants and a polo shirt or collared short sleeve shirt and not a suit?

Below is the dress code for Celebrity's restaurants, smart casual is also requested for theater every night. In reality many men will wear sport jackets which are technically not within the dress code. If you choose not to wear a jacket, one of three things will happen depending on the ship and who is at the door.

1. You will be refused entry

2. You will be given a jacket at the door and requested to wear it.

3. You will be allowed to enter the restaurant.

The dress code only applies to the restaurants and not the rest of the ship, including the buffet. Celebrity gives you plenty of options, choice is yours.

"Smart Casual & Above" attire includes:

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sweater or blouse. Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

"Formal" attire includes:

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown, or dressy pantsuit. Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit, or dinner jacket with slacks. Only required in the Main Restaurant on formal evenings.

The dress code in Celebrity’s specialty restaurants, including Blu for AquaClass guests, is “Smart Casual & Above” for every night of the cruise, regardless of the evening dress code in the main restaurant.

Edited by dkjretired

I can tell you, there is no way I am bringing a cocktail dress or gown and no way my other half bringing a suit just to wear for dinner, but I have to believe, if we are dressed very nicely I am sure we won't have a problem, it seems the majority of people who answered my question is right on target to the way we will dress, thank you.

I can tell you, there is no way I am bringing a cocktail dress or gown and no way my other half bringing a suit just to wear for dinner, but I have to believe, if we are dressed very nicely I am sure we won't have a problem, it seems the majority of people who answered my question is right on target to the way we will dress, thank you.

Why choose Celebrity? Dress code is in the brochure or on line. We don't go on certain lines because we like the formal ambiance of Celebrity.

I have taken my 53rd cruise two weeks ago and been on most cruise lines other than Celebrity and the dress "codes" are just suggestions, nobody is forcing a passenger to wear formal gown and tuxedos lets say. Even on Princess its just guidelines and I been on a number of those ships to see people dress just about any way. I simply wanted to verify that my other half can wear a designer polo shirt and dress pants at which people here were kind enough to say yes its fine.

I also asked to make sure that it was not just about formal gowns and tuxedos as I haven't been on a Celebrity cruise, and now I will be booking up my cruise knowing we can dress the way we normally do and that it is perfectly fine.

For those who helped me thank you and a hug to each one of you, for those who are laughing, sorry you just didn't understand what I was simply looking for, and sorry I will not be dressing the way you want me to dress. Honestly, I don't care what others think about me, many just judge people by the way they look and its unfortunate but I wanted to make sure we fit in so now its time to booking up one of those beautiful Celebrity Suites. I love the perks that Celebrity offers for people who have suites!

Thank you to all.

Edited by lyndamr

Ladies have it easy. Wear anything black. On formal night, men want to fit in. Years ago, formal night meant tuxedos. Now, it is not the norm. On my most recent cruise, I saw 2 tuxedos. Most men wore dark suits or sports jackets. Some wore ties. Some did not. I did see some men without jackets. On a longer cruise with 3-4 formal nights, men get more casual as the cruise goes on. By the last formal night, many men have ditched the tie. I would like cruises to go completely smart casual. Many men do not own "formal" attire.

We are considering a Celebrity cruise and curious at dinner do any men wear dress pants and a polo shirt or collared short sleeve shirt and not a suit?

I used to be a flag bearer for Tux etc on formal nights in the MDR. But Celebrity and RCCL are deliberately seeking a different guest demographic.

Over the last 10 years the formal attire has gone from must to suggested and on our last Celebrity and RCCL cruises the elegant and formal dressers were in a great minority, with "whatever" in evidence.

I have given up trying to change the guests mind sets, and voicing my support of formal, having just booked Cunard for our next two cruises, where formal is treated with the full respect for tradition and others, with the formal dress code being strictly enforced at the entrance to the MDR

So if you are considering Celebrity or RCCL do not bother with dress code discussions on CC, just go and wear whatever you wish (yes, even girls short shorts are being allowed entry) as the ship will not bat an eyelid, neither will the great majority of cruisers onboard.

Just my 10 cents worth.

Hi Redtravel- In these days, just like cruise lines cut back on its variety/quality/selection of food people cut back on dressing formal.

I agree smart casual is perfect. I dine at 4/5 star restaurants everywhere especially during my travels and honestly we never see gowns and tuxedos so the same attire should apply to the main dining room on cruise ships. Dressing is overrated now and you will find people wearing just about anything, but I never cruised Celebrity and was curious whether the majority of women wore gowns and men tuxedos, happens not to be the case I see.

I think also with airlines restricting weight of our luggage and adding additional baggage fees also took an effect on what people will pack.

If the OP is expecting the dress code on X to be the same as RCI then they will be disappointed. RCI has dropped to that of a high school cafeteria when it comes to the MDR. You won't find those dressing smart casual on formal nights in the MDR. You will find those dressed in smart casual in specialty dining which is the dress code.

Edited by cruisingator2

Ok. I usually stay out of these ones. I wear what I want to wear which some would say I over dress. And I get compliments every night from men and women alike but that's not why I do it. I dress in long gowns on formal nights, Tony Bowls is my favourite designer. Allure is another. They are beautiful flowy dresses. I am in crummy scrubs for up to 14 hours a day in my job. I LOVE to play dress up on cruises. I have never felt out of place. On a casual night my dress will be short, but it will be very nice and heels are a must. Go ahead, wear shorts to formal night. I don't care. Why ask the question? But this is my answer.

The suit or jacket, as well as the nicer women's clothing, are only needed for formal nights. As others have pointed out this only applies to the MDR and even there it is sometimes not enforced. However the vast majority of cruisers will be dressed according to the dress code (men in suits and tuxes or at least a sport jacket) and on some cruises they do enforce it.

Below is the dress code for Celebrity's restaurants, smart casual is also requested for theater every night. In reality many men will wear sport jackets which are technically not within the dress code. If you choose not to wear a jacket, one of three things will happen depending on the ship and who is at the door.

1. You will be refused entry

2. You will be given a jacket at the door and requested to wear it.

3. You will be allowed to enter the restaurant.

The dress code only applies to the restaurants and not the rest of the ship, including the buffet. Celebrity gives you plenty of options, choice is yours. ...

I'm sure you meant to say that your post above is for the formal night dress code in the MDR only and that no jacket is required on smart casual nights or in other dining areas on the ship.

I have taken my 53rd cruise two weeks ago and been on most cruise lines other than Celebrity and the dress "codes" are just suggestions, nobody is forcing a passenger to wear formal gown and tuxedos lets say. Even on Princess its just guidelines and I been on a number of those ships to see people dress just about any way. I simply wanted to verify that my other half can wear a designer polo shirt and dress pants at which people here were kind enough to say yes its fine.

I also asked to make sure that it was not just about formal gowns and tuxedos as I haven't been on a Celebrity cruise, and now I will be booking up my cruise knowing we can dress the way we normally do and that it is perfectly fine.

For those who helped me thank you and a hug to each one of you, for those who are laughing, sorry you just didn't understand what I was simply looking for, and sorry I will not be dressing the way you want me to dress. Honestly, I don't care what others think about me, many just judge people by the way they look and its unfortunate but I wanted to make sure we fit in so now its time to booking up one of those beautiful Celebrity Suites. I love the perks that Celebrity offers for people who have suites! I don't care what anyone wears but I have been on this board for almost twenty years and really like to see people get accurate information.

Thank you to all.

See post 24...

Edited by dkjretired

For those who helped me thank you and a hug to each one of you, for those who are laughing, sorry you just didn't understand what I was simply looking for, and sorry I will not be dressing the way you want me to dress. Honestly, I don't care what others think about me, many just judge people by the way they look and its unfortunate but I wanted to make sure we fit in so now its time to booking up one of those beautiful Celebrity Suites. I love the perks that Celebrity offers for people who have suites!

Thank you to all.

As one of those persons who answered you I did not see one person tell you that the way you intend to dress if perfectly fine for formal night in the MDR. Maybe I misunderstood your posts but it is quite possible that if your husband appears in the MDR without a jacket he will be refused entry. I do not care at all what someone else wears but I have been on this board for almost 20 years and really care that people get accurate information.

The suit or jacket, as well as the nicer women's clothing, are only needed for formal nights. As others have pointed out this only applies to the MDR and even there it is sometimes not enforced. However the vast majority of cruisers will be dressed according to the dress code (men in suits and tuxes or at least a sport jacket) and on some cruises they do enforce it.

I'm sure you meant to say that your post above is for the formal night dress code in the MDR only and that no jacket is required on smart casual nights or in other dining areas on the ship.

Actually I didn't mention it because they have it in the section of the web site that I quoted. I believe that is new.

Edited by dkjretired

If the OP is expecting the dress code on X to be the same as RCI then they will be disappointed. RCI has dropped to that of a high school cafeteria when it comes to the MDR. You won't find those dressing smart casual on formal nights in the MDR. You will find those dressed in smart casual in specialty dining which is the dress code.

Exactly what we found on our one RCI cruise. To be fair the ship/service, etc was very good but shorts and beachwear in the evening!:eek: even smart casual we were over dressed. :rolleyes:

It would seem that we had a poor experience as friends always take their tux, etc on RCI out of the UK and they are the norm on formal nights

Dressing is overrated now and you will find people wearing just about anything, but I never cruised Celebrity and was curious whether the majority of women wore gowns and men tuxedos, happens not to be the case I see.

No, that was just a couple of the comments you got here. Last Nov on the Reflection 90% + of the men wore a jacket on the two formal nights. In the daily it was not listed as 'suggested', but as the dress for the evening. I will find my copies from that sailing and ours on the Ruby Princess from 2012, because if memory serves me, formal was listed as the dress for the evening there also, not a suggestion.

2nd formal on Reflection, and formal on the Ruby.

1590427818_2ndformal.jpg.acfbb886eeda31c463b0b6e1ffd02837.jpg

formal.jpg.59a167d0665396ec88010e23662d8c95.jpg

Edited by wallie5446

One thing for sure, you can't legislate manners and good taste.

So true. What is so difficult about adhering to the guild lines? I just don't get it - there are cruise lines that cater to those that don't wish to dress for formal night. Why do these people insist it is their right to denigrate other passengers experience?

I've relayed our last experience where on our last cruise, 1st formal night we were dressed to the nines in tux and gown only to be attempted to be seated (in select) with two couples who should not have been admitted as they did not meet the MINIMUM required dress. We did a very fast U turn and requested a table for two. Was this rude - yes but it was also rude of them to put us in that position. It would have been an extremely uncomfortable situation for all parties. We learned our lesson and after that - we either dined with those that we knew or asked for a table for two on formal nights. Seriously - if you can't meet the requirements please find alternative venues to dine.

Edited by Jane2357

One thing for sure, you can't legislate manners and good taste.

True!!

To the OP, DKJRetired gave you the best answer on post #6. Don't know the cruise you are taking, for example European cruises tend to be more formal than caribbean cruises. I have seen the dress code being enforced, by refusing entrance or by giving jackets to gentlemen in polo shirts.

We are D+ RCCL cruisers and I have never seen them enforcing the dress code. Celebrity is different. Just hope you are not disappointed if your husbands is denied entrance in the MDR on a formal night.

Edited by drarill