World Tour

treasure4two

We are retiring soon and thinking about that the HAL World Tour and I need someone who has taken the world tour to answer a few questions. It is almost 4 months. Would you take it again(if it went to different places) or did it get way too long toward the end? Anything you like or disliked about the length of the cruise that you think would help us make our decision to take or not take? Health wise, were you concerned about not getting medical treatment on the cruise if something happened. Any hints or other places for me to look for more info would be greatly appreciated. Not going until 2016 but I am a real advanced planner. Thank you.

We are retiring soon and thinking about that the HAL World Tour and I need someone who has taken the world tour to answer a few questions. It is almost 4 months. Would you take it again(if it went to different places) or did it get way too long toward the end? Anything you like or disliked about the length of the cruise that you think would help us make our decision to take or not take? Health wise, were you concerned about not getting medical treatment on the cruise if something happened. Any hints or other places for me to look for more info would be greatly appreciated. Not going until 2016 but I am a real advanced planner. Thank you.

We are going on our second WC in 2015. One of the recent bloggers estimated that between 20-30% of WC passengers are repeaters on HAL. As many comedians pointed out after four months with your life partner in an enclosed space tensions will occasionally flare but those days are the exceptions. Protect your health by being realistic about what your capabilities are and are not and purchase proper trip health and evacuation insurance to cover your situation.

There is no better way to see the world than on a WC. Even if a port is repeated chances are there are other things to do and see that you missed the first time.

Good luck.

We did hear 'regular ' music from the 50-s to 80s at poolside

and before & after the dinner hours.

The Oosterdam and Eurodam seemed to have a younger

bunch of cruisers, too.

Maryandi

My wife and I took the 2013 world cruise. We had previously taken the 66 day Prinsendam grand South America trip in 2011. We were both recently retired and still very active and had never taken any cruise longer than 7 days before the South America trip. After 4 weeks on the SA trip I was ready to get off. However, as the trip continued we seemed to fall into a routine that became very comfortable and we were sorry to see the trip end.

I had always wanted to circumnavigate the globe so we signed up for the 2013 WC. We enjoyed it so much that we are planning on doing it again in 2015. If it works out the way it did for us, at some point the ship becomes your "home" and a very pleasant and well trained group of professionals moves you and your home to some very interesting places you have probably always wanted to see. In our opinion, the itinerary is not really as important as simply enjoying the fact that you are sailing around the world! You'll find out that the majority of passengers on board have done more than one WC and they run the gamut from very interesting to very annoying just like anyplace else. Make friends with the interesting ones and ignore the rest.

As for medical issues you certainly want to make sure that you have the necessary insurance etc. I can tell you that on the 2013 WC my wife fell in the showroom on the second day of the trip when the ship lurched and she broke her ankle. The staff was very responsive, medical staff was great. They had her examined in our first port of call, fitted her in a walking boot and she continued on the trip. Could not have asked for a better or more attentive bunch of folks than the ships' crew from cabin stewards right up thru the medical staff. By the time we made it to Australia she was back walking and enjoying the remaining two and a half months of traveling.

If it is something that you have always thought of doing I would urge that you not wait until "someday". Do it as soon as you can when you are able to enjoy it. Best of luck.

If it is something that you have always thought of doing I would urge that you not wait until "someday". Do it as soon as you can when you are able to enjoy it. Best of luck.

You are so right! I am 35 and have been dreaming about a WC for 15 years already. Hoping to go on one before I am 40. I am lucky that my situation allows it (working on a ship, I get months off at a time/ No kids to look after/ not rich by any means but working to be able to afford my dream coming true within a few years). We have to live our dreams while we can; we never know what life might throw at us.

Here is an active thread-just started yesterday- from several people who just returned from this years World Cruise:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2049946

Just ask there.

Thank you. I hope more people comment on this thread(love the comments so far because it gave me a lot of good info), as that thread is all about dancing and that is not important to us, but reading this thread, a lot of people are.

Any more comments or directions to other threads that could help us decide what to do-take or not take the WC. Many thanks to all who have and will comment. Very helpful. Thank you.

I just returned from a world cruise (on Cunard) and loved it. I am planning on going again in a few years (have to save some money:().

I took out insurance (not with the cruise line) which had high amounts for medical and evacuation. The medical centre staff is well trained and can deal with emergencies. Ships will deviate their course to get people to hospitals if more care is needed.

Did you read any of the blogs from this year's world cruisers? You can get an idea of life onboard and the ports from them.

I agree with what others have said - don't put it off. Go and enjoy!

DW and I were fortunate enough to have sailed on WC2011 and WC2013. It was an amazing experience both times. We have sailed many previous times on HAL, so we were already familiar with the 'lay of the land' so to speak.

However, everything seemed a bit 'more intense' on the WC. THere were more food selections and some items were in abundance - e.g., jumbo shrimp cocktail each evening if you so desired.

The staff seemed to be more experienced for the most part and many had multiple previous WCs under their belt.

There were lots of activities that provided challenge as to what to do on the numerous sea days. At night they would have themes often in the MDR to provide a change of pace. PG offered special nights such as Mystery Dinners to add more flavor to the menu.

Best of all were the opportunities to experience unusual excursions. Our favorites from these WCs were Machu Picchu, Angkor Wat, Victoria Falls, staying on the mighty Zambezi and safariing, and dunebugging in the African desert.

Even places we had previously visited seemed fun to revisit - much like normal cruises.

The medical staff was topnotch - I injured myself in New Zealand in 2011 and they provided prompt and caring attention to me. They checked back to see how my injury was progressing later in the cruise. Then in 2013 a fellow pax was introducing me to a medical person and she commented, "I remember you from previous WC - did your injury heal ok?" .. amazed me for sure.

All in all, the WCs are a very special experience that if one can scrape together what is needed they should do this while they have their health.

harry

Perhaps ask yourself the questions: what do we want to see and where do we want to go. Maybe you have a bucket list?

You can experience, and see, a lot more if you do combinations of land and cruise - somebody posted a good report a few days ago.

Four months on the same ship and I'd go stir crazy:eek:

We are doing land and cruise combos. So far our longest cruise has been 14 days. We plan to try 30 days or so next. We find that after 14 days we are ready to get off. The food starts to taste the same and we begin to find the environment a little artificial. We did one TA and will not do another-too many days at sea for us. We were ready to jump off the ship after 5 days at sea.

So right now, a cruise makes a pleasant diversion from a land trip for us but who knows what we will do in the future. Our longest trip has been six months-we interspersed five cruises in that period.

Edited by iancal

Oh do I have homework for you!

A world cruise has been a long-held dream of mine ever since I was in my teens. Knowing that it was years away, I put the dreams on the back burner, but once I passed 55 it became my foremost thought. I drive my friends crazy with always talking about ‘the world cruise when I retire’.

As I am nearing that age now, I find my ‘planning and dreaming’ consume me. So, although I have never done a world cruise (our longest was 45 days, we LOVED it), and cannot help you out there, I can point you in the direction of some really fabulous blogs to read so that you can decide for yourself after reading all about the adventures – and misadventures – of others.

Here are some of my favorites from 2014 & why (note I say ‘some’ as I do try & read everyone I can find that goes on HAL's World Cruise & I enjoy them all). I am going to give you a cross-section of different blogger styles & ‘impressions’.

Bill and Mary Ann:

http://cruisingwithbillandmaryann.blogspot.ca/ (this one has pictures)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1959589&highlight=maryann (this one has comments from other CC’ers)

I have followed CC’s own Bill & Mary Anne’s cruise blogs for at least 5 years – I believe that it is Mary Ann that writes the blog, although I am not sure – my apologies if the ‘she’ should really be the ‘he’ – or possibly ‘they'. She is an incredible writer with an honest ‘no holds barred’ style of writing, if she thinks we would like to know something, she will put it in and & not worry about anyone saying anything about it – I love that. They have gone on HAL’s world cruise for about the last 10 years or so I believe. I personally feel that Bill and Mary Ann have raised the awareness of world cruising with HAL to a new level and have contributed greatly to my desires and dreams along with, I will bet countless others. In my honest opinion HAL should commend them for that with at least an upgrade, if not a free cruise!

They love to wander around & explore ports on their own, taking an occasional shore excursion if they haven’t been there before. The stories of their hunt for the ‘best Margarita Pizza & Beer’ will delight you. They don’t go in much for the entertainment (neither do we) but they always mention what is going on around the ship – many of their tablemates report each night on how the show was and May Anne reports it in the blog. You will always find lots of interesting tid-bits of info on daily ship life in their blog.

Diane & John:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1954366&highlight=diane+and+john

Here’s my other two favorite CC bloggers. Diane and John don’t go every year, but they have been going for a number of years. They are a very active couple – from their blog you will learn all about the daily shipboard activities and entertainment as they love to take it all in. They as well take some of the shore excursions, or they will hook up on the CC Roll Call and participate in the private tours that are arranged there.

Mike and Diane:

http://mikegadell.wordpress.com/category/world-cruise-2014/

This is an incredible blog with fabulous pictures on the 2014 HAL cruise. Mike is a fabulous writer – he writes with enthusiasm and really notices the world around him when he travels. His words paint a thousand pictures – but as well, his pictures are stunning. For me, he has the right mix of the number of words and pictures. As many ports were new to them this year (this was their second world cruise) he took quite a lot of shore excursions, which is great to read about for both ideas and impressions. As both Mike and Diane love to partake in the daily activities, you will find a good source of information on them in this blog.

Patricia (Esri):

http://gowithme.net/archive-2014-world-cruise-live-blog/ (her blog)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1957258&highlight=esri (thread on CC)

Patricia was like me – dreamed and saved for years. And 2014 was the year her dream would come true. This was an interesting blog, it is very honestly written and will tear at your emotions as you read it (like any good book should!). This is one though that you should read to see the other side – what if your dream came true and it wasn’t all you expected? Circumstances of health and other issues do play a part in this blog, and could answer some of your questions that you asked about medical assistance, etc.

This next one is not from this year – but from last year. I am listing it here not only because it was one of my all-time favorites, but I think it should be required reading for any first timer thinking of investing money in a life-long dream of a world cruise.

Sondra’s Excellent Adventure:

http://worldcruise2012-legallyblonde.blogspot.ca/

When one of Sondra’s court cases settled, she decided that she would take some of that money and go on a world cruise with her good friend, Bill, her ex-husband. Right from the start her blog caught my interest and I knew I was in for a rocking and rolling good adventure alongside of her. She is a terrific writer, she writes honestly and just like Bill and Mary Ann – no holds barred. If she feels it, she writes it. I would have to say this was one of the most awesome blogs I have read – she kept my interest for 5 months. I would be on the edge of my seat looking forward with great anticipation what could, or would happen next. As time went on, Sondra became less enamored of her dream, and seriously questioned if she should have done it. She participated in quite a bit of the private tours that were being set up on the Cruise Critic Roll Call, with a few of her self-planned tours taking her off the ship for days at a time. This gave me a whole new insight into world cruises, I previously would not have thought of doing that! One of the other highlights of her blog is the pre-cruise prep that she did – she describes everything in detail and this will give you a good insight into what must go into the prep.

And last – but certainly not least – if you want a real twist on the writing – how about following the Captain’s blog?

Captain Mercer is delightful writer and you will be amazed at some of the things you learn about the logistics of piloting a successful world cruise!

http://captainjonathan.com/2013/12/

So that’s your homework.

Oh my, I want to retire RIGHT NOW and go….

I was on the final segment of the 2014 Amsterdam World Cruise, 27 days out of a total of 65 days away from home on the trip. About 2/3 of the people at my table were on the full World Cruise, and I'd say about half of them were anxious to get home by the end. I think the question of how long is too long is a very personal one and a question that only you can answer. If you're concerned about it I think that's a bit of a warning sign. I would suggest you experience for yourself how you will react to being at sea and away from home that long. I would suggest that you start with a segment or 2 and see how you feel at the end of that, rather than finding 30 or 60 days into a world cruise that it is too long. On the 2015 World cruise you can book one or more segments all the way from 22 days all the way up to about 84 days. A voyage like that would give you a good indication how you feel about a very long cruise. There are also other Grand and extended voyages that can give you some clue about how you would react. I do also remember someone on another cruise line who started with a couple of segments and decided while on board she wanted to complete the full world cruise. It was awkward but it was possible.

For myself my 27 days on the Amsterdam was my longest time to date on a single ship although I have plans for longer ones. While there were things I felt a need to catch up on at home I really hated to leave the Amsterdam.

Roy

• 3 months later...

Wow, thank you so much for all of this information Lynda! My hubby and I have been retired for a year and kicked off the retirement with a 28 day cruise to the South Pacific. We loved every minute of it, especially the sea days. We keep talking about doing a world cruise, so I think we better start planning it. We're doing 22 days in the Mediterranean next summer, so 2016 looks like a good time to aim for. I am a voracious planner, so I'm starting to research already. I hope you get that world cruise in sometime soon. Who knows, we might end up on the same one!

Oh do I have homework for you!

A world cruise has been a long-held dream of mine ever since I was in my teens. Knowing that it was years away, I put the dreams on the back burner, but once I passed 55 it became my foremost thought. I drive my friends crazy with always talking about ‘the world cruise when I retire’.

As I am nearing that age now, I find my ‘planning and dreaming’ consume me. So, although I have never done a world cruise (our longest was 45 days, we LOVED it), and cannot help you out there, I can point you in the direction of some really fabulous blogs to read so that you can decide for yourself after reading all about the adventures – and misadventures – of others.

Here are some of my favorites from 2014 & why (note I say ‘some’ as I do try & read everyone I can find that goes on HAL's World Cruise & I enjoy them all). I am going to give you a cross-section of different blogger styles & ‘impressions’.

Bill and Mary Ann:

http://cruisingwithbillandmaryann.blogspot.ca/ (this one has pictures)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1959589&highlight=maryann (this one has comments from other CC’ers)

I have followed CC’s own Bill & Mary Anne’s cruise blogs for at least 5 years – I believe that it is Mary Ann that writes the blog, although I am not sure – my apologies if the ‘she’ should really be the ‘he’ – or possibly ‘they'. She is an incredible writer with an honest ‘no holds barred’ style of writing, if she thinks we would like to know something, she will put it in and & not worry about anyone saying anything about it – I love that. They have gone on HAL’s world cruise for about the last 10 years or so I believe. I personally feel that Bill and Mary Ann have raised the awareness of world cruising with HAL to a new level and have contributed greatly to my desires and dreams along with, I will bet countless others. In my honest opinion HAL should commend them for that with at least an upgrade, if not a free cruise!

They love to wander around & explore ports on their own, taking an occasional shore excursion if they haven’t been there before. The stories of their hunt for the ‘best Margarita Pizza & Beer’ will delight you. They don’t go in much for the entertainment (neither do we) but they always mention what is going on around the ship – many of their tablemates report each night on how the show was and May Anne reports it in the blog. You will always find lots of interesting tid-bits of info on daily ship life in their blog.

Diane & John:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1954366&highlight=diane+and+john

Here’s my other two favorite CC bloggers. Diane and John don’t go every year, but they have been going for a number of years. They are a very active couple – from their blog you will learn all about the daily shipboard activities and entertainment as they love to take it all in. They as well take some of the shore excursions, or they will hook up on the CC Roll Call and participate in the private tours that are arranged there.

Mike and Diane:

http://mikegadell.wordpress.com/category/world-cruise-2014/

This is an incredible blog with fabulous pictures on the 2014 HAL cruise. Mike is a fabulous writer – he writes with enthusiasm and really notices the world around him when he travels. His words paint a thousand pictures – but as well, his pictures are stunning. For me, he has the right mix of the number of words and pictures. As many ports were new to them this year (this was their second world cruise) he took quite a lot of shore excursions, which is great to read about for both ideas and impressions. As both Mike and Diane love to partake in the daily activities, you will find a good source of information on them in this blog.

Patricia (Esri):

http://gowithme.net/archive-2014-world-cruise-live-blog/ (her blog)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1957258&highlight=esri (thread on CC)

Patricia was like me – dreamed and saved for years. And 2014 was the year her dream would come true. This was an interesting blog, it is very honestly written and will tear at your emotions as you read it (like any good book should!). This is one though that you should read to see the other side – what if your dream came true and it wasn’t all you expected? Circumstances of health and other issues do play a part in this blog, and could answer some of your questions that you asked about medical assistance, etc.

This next one is not from this year – but from last year. I am listing it here not only because it was one of my all-time favorites, but I think it should be required reading for any first timer thinking of investing money in a life-long dream of a world cruise.

Sondra’s Excellent Adventure:

http://worldcruise2012-legallyblonde.blogspot.ca/

When one of Sondra’s court cases settled, she decided that she would take some of that money and go on a world cruise with her good friend, Bill, her ex-husband. Right from the start her blog caught my interest and I knew I was in for a rocking and rolling good adventure alongside of her. She is a terrific writer, she writes honestly and just like Bill and Mary Ann – no holds barred. If she feels it, she writes it. I would have to say this was one of the most awesome blogs I have read – she kept my interest for 5 months. I would be on the edge of my seat looking forward with great anticipation what could, or would happen next. As time went on, Sondra became less enamored of her dream, and seriously questioned if she should have done it. She participated in quite a bit of the private tours that were being set up on the Cruise Critic Roll Call, with a few of her self-planned tours taking her off the ship for days at a time. This gave me a whole new insight into world cruises, I previously would not have thought of doing that! One of the other highlights of her blog is the pre-cruise prep that she did – she describes everything in detail and this will give you a good insight into what must go into the prep.

And last – but certainly not least – if you want a real twist on the writing – how about following the Captain’s blog?

Captain Mercer is delightful writer and you will be amazed at some of the things you learn about the logistics of piloting a successful world cruise!

http://captainjonathan.com/2013/12/

So that’s your homework.

Oh my, I want to retire RIGHT NOW and go….

Be careful - once you do a WC (we were so lucky to do the 2014 WC), you will be addicted!

Interesting that when I retired in 2012, we also did the 28-day So Pacific cruise as the retirement present. The experiences were amazing. Then we started planning on crossing everything or as much as we could off our bucket lists. We sailed and had lunch now and again with Patricia (her blog is cited); there are 2 sides to every story so read her blog with a grain of salt

I have to meet you as we are also signed up for the 2016 WC! - and I am already beginning to research the ports and have taken a peek at the cruise lists. We did a pre-booking on the ship as we had a preview of the itinerary while on board and even booked the same cabin. My email is tasenta at gmail dot com - would love to chat and share planning information.

Does anyone know Jeff's blog web address as he has done the WC so many times and gets to the 'out of the way' places in ports so always has a different 'spin' along with wonderful pictures.

Terri

Edited by take us away

We did the 75-day Grand Asia & Australia cruise in 2014, and we loved it! ... oh, there were a few moments here & there but nothing major. Lots to see & do even on sea days, the crew really goes above & beyond anything we've seen on any other cruises. We have some good friends we met on that cruise, we've traveled with them since then, and we're thinking about repeating the Grand Voyage together in 2016, if it is offered.

I would LOVE to do a WC, Mr Chew is not as enthusiastic about it ... he doesn't want to be away from home that long. Not because of the length, he can handle that, but because of "business" he thinks has to be done only from home. But I'm working on him!

We've also done 34 & 35 day cruises and we have a 22-day cruise booked for next year. We're thinking about a trip 'round South America after that.