Books to read in the Caribbean

Trying to come up with a couple good books to read while on our Eastern Caribbean in 3 weeks. Thought it would be fun to read some fiction set in the Caribbean. I have been doing some internet searches, but thought I would ask the wonderful members of Cruise Critic. Thanks for any suggestions. Please include title, author and why you liked or disliked it. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Probably not most people's idea of relaxed vacation readings, but Caribbean is the setting of these masterful fictions by renown authors:

'The Comedian" by Graham Greene, set in Port-au-Prince, Haiti during the barbaric rule of "Papa Doc", it was made into a 1967 Richard Burton-Elizabeth Taylor film. While the Comedian is not a comedy, Greene's "Our man in Havana" is a lighter and humorous swipe at British espionage misadventure in pre-revolutionary Cuba. The book famously "predicted" Cuba missile crisis.

"A house for Mr. Biswas" by V.S. Naipal, a Nobel Laureate, about the many tribulations and small triumphs of an Indo-Trinidadian's soulful struggle to build a foothold in life for his family in the post-colonial Trinida.

No matter what you read, Bon Voyage

I've been compiling a list, for awhile, but so far haven't read these. They've been suggested by other cruisers, I can't say if they're any good or not. So FWIW:

Cruise related book suggestions:

High Seas Murder by Shelley Freydont

Cruise Control by Pam Kane

Birds of Prey by JA Janice

Decked by Carol Higgins Clark

The Gift by Julie Garwood

Going Overboard by Christine Skye

Separate Cabins by Janet Daily

Princess Charming by Jane Hellar

Cruising for Murder by Susan Sussman

Skipping Christmas by John Grisham

The Only Way to Cross: John Maxtone Graham

Transatlantic : Samuel Cunard, Isambard Brunel,

the Great Atlantic Steamships by Stephen Fox

Liners to the Sun: John Maxtone-Graham

Queen Mary 2 : The Greatest Ocean Liner of Our Time by Maxtone-Graham

The Fabulous Interiors of the Great Ocean Liners in Historic Photographs by William H., Jr. Miller Picture

History of the Queen Mary and the Queen Elizabeth by William H., Jr. Miller

Crossing & Cruising: From the Golden Era of Ocean Liners to the Luxury Cruise Ships of Today by John Maxtone-Graham

How about "The Golden Rendezvous" by Alistair Maclean? It is set on an ocean liner in the Caribbean.

The end of "Diamonds are Forever" by Ian Fleming also takes place on an ocean liner.

Edited by tomatosauce

Don't Stop the Carnival by Herman Wouk. Its about a couple that moves to a Caribbean island, purchases a hotel an becomes an innkeeper. Its funny, quirky and a quick read. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Carol

Don't Stop the Carnival by Herman Wouk. Its about a couple that moves to a Caribbean island, purchases a hotel an becomes an innkeeper. Its funny, quirky and a quick read. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Carol

Agree..it is the Original, pre-Jimmy Buffet get- way from it all stories, and still one of the best.

JB actually wrote a musical based on the story

I've heard that some of the characters in Flash Mob by Robert O'Connell will be back in his next novel which will be set on a cruise ship in the Caribbean. I really liked Flash Mob. A very funny read, great for vacation.

One of my favorite books is The Crook Factory by Dan Simmons. It's a spy-type novel set in Cuba during WW2. The premise is that Ernest Hemingway asked permission to setup a spy ring in Havanna, and the government sent him a minder to keep an eye on him. Fantastic book with lots of real people, real events, woven into a great fiction story.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Thanks for the post! I was wondering about books for the upcoming week long cruise and this was a great idea. The hard part will be picking out a few.

Download them to your e-reader (kindle, nook, etc.) and you can bring all of them with you without worrying about the weight or the bulk. Just make sure you are able to read what is on the screen in the bright Caribbean sunlight.:) Michener's Caribbean is an excellent choice since it likely covers many of the islands thatwill be on your itinerary.

If you have a taste for the ironic, on our last cruise I took along Passage by Connie Willis, not knowing what it was about, just wanting to grab a book I hadn't read by a favorite author.

Sitting on my balcony at night reading that book (which, it turned out, partially takes place on the sinking Titanic) gave a whole new depth to what I was reading. I'll never forget that book! :p