RCCL holding back passengers from getting off

I didn't know how else to describe the Title.

Has anyone sailed with RCCL where passengers getting off the ship at a sightseeing port call have been held back to let the RCCL sponsored excursions disembark first before other passengers (not on RCCL sponsored excursions) disembark?

RCCL states on their website, they give priority disembarkation to those on "their" excursions.

I have some private excursions planned with tight time frames and I don't want RCCL telling me I can't get off before "their" excursions have disembarked.

This happened on Allure this past March. We left Nassau 4 hrs late and got into St. Thomas Late. Everyone wanted off of that ship at the same time and they were holding people back until they got RCI sponsored excursion people off first. It was a total CF.

Has anyone sailed with RCCL where passengers getting off the ship at a sightseeing port call have been held back to let the RCCL sponsored excursions disembark first before other passengers (not on RCCL sponsored excursions) disembark?

RCCL states on their website, they give priority disembarkation to those on "their" excursions.

I have some private excursions planned with tight time frames and I don't want RCCL telling me I can't get off before "their" excursions have disembarked.

In my experience this is usually the case.......ship sponsored excurions off before everyone else....

It will always be subject to their procedures on any given day. If they have enough tender/Gangway capacity to operate their excursions getting off at the same time as Independent People they will get them both off at the same time. If not their tours have priority in both tender ports or not.

I agree it is pretty common (and common across lines).

In ports with gangways, I think it would be rare for it to make more than 5 to 10 minute's difference--and honestly, with varying sea conditions and oprt clearances, you cannot schedule THAT tightly for your excursions anyway (at least not and count on it).

In ports with tenders, especially smaller tenders, it can add quite a bit to your wait, and you need to decide if you prefer to take a ship's excursion, stay concierge level (which generally gets priority) or wait.

I've not found this at all and we have cruised a lot (D+) on RC. The only experience was at a tendered port and we had to line up to get tickets. All other ports where we had private excursions we were waiting and were off the ship as soon as it cleared.

I agree it is pretty common (and common across lines).

In ports with gangways, I think it would be rare for it to make more than 5 to 10 minute's difference--and honestly, with varying sea conditions and oprt clearances, you cannot schedule THAT tightly for your excursions anyway (at least not and count on it).

In ports with tenders, especially smaller tenders, it can add quite a bit to your wait, and you need to decide if you prefer to take a ship's excursion, stay concierge level (which generally gets priority) or wait.

I agree.

OP, every cruise line I have sailed does this. When one docks, it generally makes less difference...maybe a few minutes. However if the ship is delayed or is tendering, the difference can be greater.

So, as a cruiser one must make choices. there are advantages and disadvantage either way. One can book the ship excursions (priority disembarkation, ease, ship will wait if excursion is delayed, generally very organized, refunds if ship misses port/impossibly bad weather or such but generally higher prices, larger groups, maybe fewer choices). Or one can go independent (often cheaper, often smaller groups, maybe more choices or individualization, but issues could arise with timing, refunds, organization, delays, etc). We often go independent, but for sometimes we do the ship excursions, especially for far flung excursions where timing might be tight. Pick your poison;)

I thought every line does this? I know Carnival does, but can't say for sure NCL does as I haven't sailed them regularly in recent years.

This is why you have to watch how early you book private tours at tender ports.

This is SOP in tender ports, but it can (and does!) happen in docked ports also.

We just got off the Celebrity Constellation to the Baltics and St. Petersburg. I had read a lot about ships trying to hold independent passengers back in order to get ship tours through the lengthy Russian immigration process first, and I had also read time and time again that independents have just as much right as ship tours to disembark since there isn't a tendering process. Anyway, here's what happened on our cruise...

We docked around 6:30 on the day we arrived in St. Petersburg, and my whole group met near Café Al Bacio at 6:45 so we could get off the ship together. About 7:15 when there hadn’t been any announcements, my husband went and looked out the window and saw there were people getting off the ship at the forward gangway…they were bringing Celebrity tours out first from the theater while the rest of us waited patiently for an announcement. We quickly got off the ship using the forward gangway and were through immigration in about 20 minutes, so our tour left on time. People who stayed and waited for the announcement had a 30 minute wait to get off the ship, and a much longer wait for immigration. The staff at the exit never asked to see our tour ticket or a sticker, but it looked to us like that was Celebrity’s (sneaky) way of getting their tours off first.

This seems to be pretty common practice across cruise lines in certain ports. Just be aware it can happen and verify whether or not disembarking has started. They will NOT try to keep you on the ship if you get in the line to get off...they just don't necessarily want people on independent tours to know the ship is cleared for disembarking!:p

Edited by Cindy

I thought every line does this? I know Carnival does, but can't say for sure NCL does as I haven't sailed them regularly in recent years.

This is why you have to watch how early you book private tours at tender ports.

Yes, NCl does it, too. Celebrity, too...it made a substantial difference in one port on our recent transpacific cruise. I am pretty sure Princess does it also. I have not been on HAL for years, but I bet they do it, too.

when all goes smoothly and quickly, the independent passengers may not even notice or if they do may care little. for example, ship excursions may meet in the theater and be taken off the ship via the forward gangway or tender while independent passengers may be directed to line up (or get tender tickets) to leave via the mid ship gangway or tender. Often both exits are flowing smoothly and all are happy. On the other hand immagine a tougher day (late arrival, delayed clearance, tougher tendering, whatever), the independent passengers may be held back while ship shore excursion participants are guided to any and all available gangways or tenders. Hopefully such events will not impact the OP.

As stated, at a Tender Port, scheduled excusions through the ship are allowed off first. However if you acting as a representative for your group let the Shore Excursion Desk know you do have a group Tour and you will need X # of Tender Tickets, they probably will let you go. Depending on the Port, they many times only allow 4 Tenders to operate.

I've not found this at all and we have cruised a lot (D+) on RC. The only experience was at a tendered port and we had to line up to get tickets. All other ports where we had private excursions we were waiting and were off the ship as soon as it cleared.

Just wanted to agree with this -- one time when we were tendering in to shore in Croatia, they had tickets for people, and basically they let as many of the excursion groups who could travel together on and then let the rest of the tender fill up with independent people. We actually didn't go in to port 'full' because the queue for independent people was so small. So unless you arrived REALLY late into port (as someone else mentioned), I really think you'll be fine. We had a private excursion booked in Athens (we were docked there) and it never even crossed my mind to be 'worried' about not getting to our private guide in time. We had no problems disembarking at all whatsoever.

We cruise often and before many of the islands had piers this was very much SOP. Today there are not as many islands that do not have piers so it is easier to get off the ship. To keep the crowds at bay, they often do not give the all clear until after their excursion groups have disembarked.

Edited by JMG

Depending on the excursion operator and how many people on your ship that they have booked for the excursion, it would likely be to their benefit to hold their departure until all the guests from your ship have arrived. Especially if it's a tender port, the operators are more than familiar with the debarkation rules and the delays that can happen so unless they have very tight daily deadlines forcing them to cancel the excursion or leave without you, they may well hold the tour until you have arrived. And yes, RCCL can and may tell you to wait until passengers booked on their excursions have departed.

Edited by joepeka

Happens on just about every cruise. Docked ports the wait is not as long as tendered ports. As someone else has already post the Announcement to go ashore generally occurs after the RCCL shore excursions have gotten off so most people don't even realize they were held back. Most just think immigrations was slow in clearing the ship.

Edited by xxoocruiser

While on the ship you must follow crewmembers instructions regardless of what you want. However I don't think you will have a problem if you just get in line when the tours are departing. Edited by FLACRUISER99

As xxoocruiser stated, most of the time you won´t even notice, as they simply won´t tell you the ship is cleared by the local authorities until they are ready for those not on a ships shore excursion.

Just wanted to agree with this -- one time when we were tendering in to shore in Croatia, they had tickets for people, and basically they let as many of the excursion groups who could travel together on and then let the rest of the tender fill up with independent people. We actually didn't go in to port 'full' because the queue for independent people was so small. So unless you arrived REALLY late into port (as someone else mentioned), I really think you'll be fine. We had a private excursion booked in Athens (we were docked there) and it never even crossed my mind to be 'worried' about not getting to our private guide in time. We had no problems disembarking at all whatsoever.

Nobody said it happens at every port and every time, but a couple examples where it didn´t happen won´t prove it can´t happen at all.

Well I agree it´s mostly not a problem, but you can´t Count on it not going to happen.

What would you have them do instead? If everyone just decides to get off at the same time and there is no organized system, there would be chaos. RCI and other lines very clearly state that they will give priority debarkation to those guests who have purchased excursions through the cruiseline. It is something that you just need to factor in when deciding whether to book a tour through the line or independently. Most tour operators understand the system used by RCI and others and will adjust their schedule so that no one should be terribly inconvenienced or miss their tour.

During our ROS Australia trip this past March/April, it was one of the most organized cruises I can think of regarding ship tours and non ship tours.They also made the announcement that ship tours would be going first and non ship tours cleared by 10 AM, yet anyone going on an early tour may go off once they have picked up their tender tickets and a representative from the sponsored tour was to pick up all Tender tickets for their group.

Yes, it just happened on my recent cruise to Belize. Since it's a tender stop, the tender tickets on Navigator were issued first to the ones who had RCCL sponsored excursions. The rest of us were able to disembark the ship later, without tickets.