Travel Agency or yourself??

ericaboon

Thoughts on booking a cruise through a TA or yourself? I've only gone through TA's before but wondered if I can get good deals doing the research myself. Thoughts??

The stateroom rate pricing - whether it be standard or through a promo - will be the same booking direct with the cruise lines as through a TA as most mass market cruise lines do not discount pricing through a TA.

What will vary will be any OBC or other perks offered out of the TA's commission from the cruise line to you. Many will also reserve blocks of rooms early with a small group booking credit that they may pass along to you out of that particular block. But, IMO, if the out of pocket incentive to book through them is significant relative to the quoted rate, then they may just be cruise order takers and may offer limited direct service to you.

Another factor to research with a TA is whether or not they will charge you any separate fees not normally charged by the cruise line for originating, modifying, or cancelling a booking through them. There are some TA's who charge theses, but many who don't - you just have to ask the questions to be sure of their full policy.

We typically do the research ourselves between ships, itineraries, and dates to determine the options we are interested in, but have booked the cruises through the same TA for nearly 15 years based on her service to us. She is a live "brick and mortar" agency that has a focus in cruising with many years experience. She handles all the details of the booking, monitors and proactively initiates price drops, and is our advocate with the cruise line for any questions or issues that arise.

That is just our preference and many people prefer to book directly. It really is whatever works best for you. But the good deals you reference will be the same either way - only the TA sponsored perks will be different.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I always book directly with the cruiseline. Then before final payment I turn the booking over to my favorite TA for what ever she is offering.

I like doing it that way as I may change my mind 10 times between initial deposit and final payment. I handle all my indicisions myself and then just have her give me the perks at the end.

Works for my!

I always book directly with the cruiseline. Then before final payment I turn the booking over to my favorite TA for what ever she is offering.

I like doing it that way as I may change my mind 10 times between initial deposit and final payment. I handle all my indicisions myself and then just have her give me the perks at the end.

Works for my!

Only as a footnote for the OP to this relative to RCI as policies on this may vary between cruise lines, with RCI if you wish to transfer a booking made directly to a TA, you must do so within 60 days of originating the booking and before final payment.

Your plan certainly sounds fair to your TA and not a bad idea! I guess we torture our TA as in the course of our cruising history we are guilty of changing staterooms, dates, and ships during the course of a booking also as we originate the booking through her. :o

But as we book exclusively through her (and have referred what are now several repeat customers to her as well), I rationalize it as part of an ongoing long term business relationship. And - this just our position and what works for us - we do not expect additional perks from her based on her service level to us. She earns her commission IMO. :D

Edited by leaveitallbehind

There are time limits to turn over your booking on most all cruise lines , and never can be done after final payment.

Check on the cruise line forums or contact your cruise line.

A good TA will most always offer you something better than booking direct .

Check your TA's personal cruise experience and if any fees , before turning over booking.

I do my research on my own and then book with the cruiseline. I like handling all the little details myself. Then I shop TAs and transfer the booking to whoever is offering the most OBC/freebies and strikes me as being the most professional. I don't usually ask my TA for anything since I've done all my research upfront. I'll book any excursions through the cruise line's web site.

Edited by dwjoe

I prefer to book our cruises through a TA that we have used for over 24 years. We know that we can call her any time or stop by and see her. I work on what cruises we want to do. She does the calling. She knows what time we like to eat, what table (if possible), and takes care of all the other small details like shipboard credit. She also makes arrangements for wheelchair assistance to get on and off the ship.

I do all the booking of hotels and air myself.

We do the work. We use our on line TA purely for booking the cabin and providing us with generous OBC's.

BUT, on at least one occasion our on line TA has made us aware of an offer on another cruise line that we previously did not know about. We appreciate this, plus the OBC's hence we never book directly with the cruise line.

We essentially book all of our travel, most of it land based, ourselves via the internet.

Edited by iancal

We've done both....but if we KNOW what we want, we just take care of it. I kinda like being in control of my booking.

How do you lose control of your booking by using a TA? :confused:

Our TA is available 7 days a week plus holidays & evenings ... also, has two back ups. One of the three is always "on call".

Any changes I want made are done quickly and I don't have to deal with the cruise line. :)

LuLu

I check TAs, online and other, the cruise line and book with whoever offers the overall best deal. I tell them what I am doing when I ask for a quote.

Done..

7d Royal Caribbean

7d Celebrity

10d Princess

14d Carnival

75d Holland America

Next..

7d Carnival Conquest

21d Carnival Triumph

I do not understand what you mean by control over your booking?

It seems to me that we have exactly the same control whether we use a TA, book on line with the cruise line, or book via the cruise line CSR. Am I missing something?

You can't recommend specific TAs but a good place to start shopping is Cruise Critic's advertisers.

www.cruisecritic.com/shipshop

That does not include my favorite online agency.

I do not understand what you mean by control over your booking?

It seems to me that we have exactly the same control whether we use a TA, book on line with the cruise line, or book via the cruise line CSR. Am I missing something?

The cruise lines will not answer questions or make changes with a cruiser if he has a travel agent. All requests go through the travel agent. I never made a request and don't see the disadvantage.

I have a question about TAs too. We live in a town of 90,000 with only two agencies. Though we have booked through TAs each time we have never received an upgrade, even when booking 13 day Europeans. We've never qualified for a price drop either, but maybe that's because we mostly book insides. The most OBC received is $75. My question is, would it be better to use a TA from a larger city? My thinking is more business done. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have a question about TAs too. We live in a town of 90,000 with only two agencies. Though we have booked through TAs each time we have never received an upgrade, even when booking 13 day Europeans. We've never qualified for a price drop either, but maybe that's because we mostly book insides. The most OBC received is $75. My question is, would it be better to use a TA from a larger city? My thinking is more business done. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The upgrades come from the cruise lines and mostly it is up to you to notice price drops .

You won't notice the price drops and what OBC's , ect. are being offered if you don't do a little shopping.

Once your in town TA see's you are a shopper , they will stop taking your bookings for granted.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

It's really up to the individual to decide. Obviously, involving another party increases complexity. This can also lead to finger-pointing if something goes wrong where the cruise line blames the TA an the TA blames the cruise line.

Some people like to delegate. Others like to keep things simple, and go directly to the cruise line. You can spend a few minutes and point and click your way to a vacation, or you can try to explain to a TA what you want. Either way is fine as long as you enjoy your cruise.