Celebrity Century

ren0312

For those who have been around the Century, is the ship worn out, becuase it is the oldest ship in Celebrity's fleet and is goign to be retired next year. How are the dining options? How is Murano? What about the ordinary restaurants. Can I use the US$300 onboard credit to purchase shore excursions or specialty restaurant dinners?

Edited by ren0312

It has been about 15 months since we were on the Century so I can't comment on the current condition. I will say we had a great crew and enjoyed that cruise very much.

There is only 1 speciality restaurant on the Century- Murano and yes you can use your OBC for shore excursions or dinner at Murano as long as you book them once you are on the ship.

We were on for 19 days in February and had a great cruise. We ate in the dining room most nights and the food was very good. We didn't go to Muranos so can't comment on that. The ship is a bit warn but still in great shape. Would go on it again if it was sailing in the caribbean.

We were on her end of March and then again a week ago. I am more used to the bells and whistles that the S and M class ships have but i loved the Century and would sail on her again in a heartbeat. The crew is amazing and the ship just has a special charm to it. Very well maintained, i thought, but i don't spend cruises looking for rust or frayed carpet ;)

We went to Murano's in March and were a bit disappointed - we have gone to lots of the Celebrity specialty restaurants in the past so can compare. However, when we were back on the ship a week ago we found the food everywhere was probably some of the best we have ever had on a Celebrity ship so go figure.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

For those who have been around the Century, is the ship worn out, becuase it is the oldest ship in Celebrity's fleet and is goign to be retired next year. How are the dining options? How is Murano? What about the ordinary restaurants. Can I use the US$300 onboard credit to purchase shore excursions or specialty restaurant dinners?

we were on her in April/first part of May.

no SHE IS NOT worn out. I found the MDR and buffet to be more than adequate and frankly the specialty menu did not interest me at all so we skipped it. same with Aqua Spa cafe.. looked quite bleh.

we did find that MDR breakfast was SLOW..abysmally so and f you need to be somewhere quickly, it is not a smart option. also the bacon onboard was about ten times saltier than it needed to be. and they ran out of English bacon( a far less salty option) about 3 days in. obviously everyone had the same idea.

I usually hate Buffets but Century was beyond good.. the homemade ice cream alone was worth the trip and the pizza was pretty dang tasty as well.

Lunch and dinner in MDR was much better service wise( odd when you consider our Dinner Waiter was the guy that was pouring the breakfast juices) and everything was superb taste wise.

OBC credit can be used to purchase just about everything on board.

We were on her two years ago in Alaska..not worn out, but lots of rust, and looked very tired. I don't think that would have improved.

Ahhh. Ships and rust. I had no idea how FAST they rusted. I take wind socks to decorate my veranda when I sail. This spring on my 13 day transatlantic, I affixed them with new metal caribeaner style heavy duty magnets to the metal structure. After 13 days, they were so corroded I could hardly get the clips back open!

They paint ships like the golden gate bridge, constantly and every day starting at one place and moving and they restarting when they are done. Its a never ending process. So I think on one end of the ship one will say "wow its freshly painted!" while at the other end of the ship one will think "wow do they ever paint?"

On that same sailing, one day I left to go get lunch, and outside my cabin was a paint crew waiting to get access to my cabin so they could touch up rust on the veranda, they were going door to door doing this. This was on Reflection, Celebrity's newest ship that was just 18 months old!

Wow, that's amazing about the rust. Rust never bothers me, if I even see it, as it's not my problem. I can just look at it and continue to enjoy myself without worrying about getting paint etc to cover it!!:)

We were on her end of March and then again a week ago. I am more used to the bells and whistles that the S and M class ships have but i loved the Century and would sail on her again in a heartbeat. The crew is amazing and the ship just has a special charm to it. Very well maintained, i thought, but i don't spend cruises looking for rust or frayed carpet ;)

We went to Murano's in March and were a bit disappointed - we have gone to lots of the Celebrity specialty restaurants in the past so can compare. However, when we were back on the ship a week ago we found the food everywhere was probably some of the best we have ever had on a Celebrity ship so go figure.

we were on her in April/first part of May.

no SHE IS NOT worn out. I found the MDR and buffet to be more than adequate and frankly the specialty menu did not interest me at all so we skipped it. same with Aqua Spa cafe.. looked quite bleh.

we did find that MDR breakfast was SLOW..abysmally so and f you need to be somewhere quickly, it is not a smart option. also the bacon onboard was about ten times saltier than it needed to be. and they ran out of English bacon( a far less salty option) about 3 days in. obviously everyone had the same idea.

I usually hate Buffets but Century was beyond good.. the homemade ice cream alone was worth the trip and the pizza was pretty dang tasty as well.

Lunch and dinner in MDR was much better service wise( odd when you consider our Dinner Waiter was the guy that was pouring the breakfast juices) and everything was superb taste wise.

OBC credit can be used to purchase just about everything on board.

We were aboard the week after spookwife, and agree with all above. The ship was NOT in bad shape at all, but we weren't going around looking for rust spots and frayed carpet, we were too busy having fun! I'll say though, that if rust, frayed carpet and grime were the norm, we'd certainly have noticed that.

Also agree about the buffet, surprisingly good on Century! Only did breakfast once in the MDR, and it was slow, but we were having fun conversing with friends, so wasn't a problem. The other days, made-to-order omelets or eggs benedict in the buffet was great, often took it outside to eat at the Sunset Bar adjacent. We didn't try Aqua Spa Cafe or Murano either, but thought food was mostly great all week, with a couple of misses, which you'll always experience.

The Century is one of our favorite ships. She is NOT worn out and her biggest asset is the crew. They are perhaps the friendliest and most-visible crew we have ever had. The ship is a nice size, comfortable and relaxing. We will really hate to see her go next year and will miss sailing on her. :(

The Century is one of our favorite ships. She is NOT worn out and her biggest asset is the crew. They are perhaps the friendliest and most-visible crew we have ever had. The ship is a nice size, comfortable and relaxing. We will really hate to see her go next year and will miss sailing on her. :(

I'm looking forward to my first and only sailing on her for her final sailing Dubai to Rome. I imagine the crew will make it somehow even more special then normal.

We were also on the Century the end of April - beginning of May. She was in excellent condition, the food in the main dining room and buffet was very good, and the crew was very attentive. We love the size and layout of the ship and will be sorry to see her leave.

Century is my favorite ship. I was on her when she was brand new and again last month. I loved the ship even more the 2nd time and found her to be in great shape. On the first day of the cruise I booked again for August. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Century is my favorite ship. I was on her when she was brand new and again last month. I loved the ship even more the 2nd time and found her to be in great shape. On the first day of the cruise I booked again for August. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was also on her when she was new (in the first year) and I am so looking forward to September for 12 days woohoo!!!!! She has been my favorite ship of all my crusies and there was just something speacial about her. :D

In the beginning of May the pool deck on the upper level was torn apart. My shoes stuck to the glue. There was no work going on to replace.

We were on Century May 3-10 and noticed no such thing. Define "torn apart"? The whole deck, or a spot?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

In the beginning of May the pool deck on the upper level was torn apart. My shoes stuck to the glue. There was no work going on to replace.

I know there were several bare spots and patches on the upper level pool deck, but no sticky glue. That was the only area I saw that looked a bit sad.

I was on her in February for 11 nights and if she was in the Caribbean

now I would also sail her again. Yes, she is older.....I still love her.

Your questions about dining.......I went to Murano twice in 11 nights.

It was delicious:)

Your obc? It will go onto your account and whatever you purchase

will be deducted from that credit. If you purchase an excursion or go

to dinner....the amounts will come off the credit. When the credit

is used up you will start having to pay for items;)

Enjoy your cruise:D

Edited by Lois R

I was on the Century in early March and was very concerned about her condition. I was pleasantly surprised that she looked as good as she did. She has a wonderful elegant vibe that you don't fine on the older ship. Our cabin was fine. The only place I saw any wear was when we were walking the track on the deck above the pool but it wasn't significant. The experience made me nostalgic for the Century class ships.

We were on the Century earlier this year in March. We did notice a lack of maintenance on this ship. Our room was not in great condition -- was old and dingy and needed new balcony furniture, the carpet needed replacing and the bathroom needed a complete overhaul.

We spent quite a bit of time in the observation lounge and the windows leaked during the rain -- I don't mean a drip here and there, they needed buckets to catch the water flow. If you looked up behind the shades, it was gross....so what did we do ... didn't look at it a second time and had a marvelous cruise. Yes, there is definitely a lack of maintenance but the Century has the best crew, great entertainment, fantastic cruise director and even though she was looking pretty run down in certain areas, she is still charming in many ways.

We absolutely loved Muranos and yes, you can use your onboard credit to eat there. The Cova Café is a very special area on this ship...a do not miss!! Several excellent crew members working there...and the best coffee and lemon pie ever. (bet you thought this post was going to be all negative...not a chance!) With such excellent service on the Century, it is hard not to enjoy yourself. While I do like having an indoor pool to go to and lounge, we made due elsewhere on the ship. The buffet was very good, MDR also very good and as mentioned, Muranos is the star!!

So, even with a ship that seemed pretty worn at the seams -- you can still have a great time and don't regret spending my vacation dollars on her one little bit. Just don't expect the super glitzy wow factor and you will be ok.

We were on Century on a Pacific Coastal: Late March to early April.

We noticed nothing that would indicate that the ship was deteriorating.

Like a classic Jaguar or Mercedes, she is well polished and maintained.

In fact, the staff kept it very very clean. I mean spotlessly clean.:)

Here is a link to my review, if interested:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=253120