Tracy Arm or Glacier National Park?

brickgirl

Been on many cruises, but this is first one to Alaska. Want to do 11 day out of San Francisco on Star Princess. Not sure which one. Is is worth the extra money to do Glacier National Park or is Tracy Arm Fjord also nice? Thanks.

We did both. The itinerary took us to Glacier Bay and we found a private excursion in a small boat out of Juneau to Tracy Arm. The best of both worlds! They were both beautiful for different reasons. But if I had to choose, I would take Glacier Bay.

Yes, most people will recommend Glacier Bay.

I have been on 12 Alaska cruises, and I have done both several times.

First choice for a one time trip would be Glacier Bay, but Tracy Arm is also a great experience. If circumstances require a Tracy Arm itinerary, it would still be wonderful, no matter.

The two places are different, and they offer different experiences. I love both.

Either way, enjoy:)

I find the views in Glacier Bay more stunning, and you normally get a lot closer to the glaciers than in Tracy Arm (weather and ship size and captain's discretion can be a factor in either locale however). But to agree with others, you won't be disappointed in either.

Here's a pic of mine from Sawyer Glacier in Tracy Arm in 2012 (zoomed in about 8X).

And here's a pic I took in Glacier Bay in 2011 (not zoomed, but cropped atf). And here's another. :)

To be honest, if they took you into one or the other without telling you which, you would be hard pressed to know the difference. However, I agree that Glacier Bay is the premier location. In addition, it is more likely that you will get turned around in Tracy Arm before going all of the way back, if the ice flows are too many or too big. Glacier Bay, being a National Park limits the number of ships and all, is really the premier location to see the glaciers and to actually get relatively close to them.

We've taken two cruises to Alaska that included Tracy Arm and one that included Glacier Bay (and Hubbard Glacier). Glacier Bay was better, but we still enjoyed our cruises that included Tracy Arm. The first time was particularly good. The captain was able to get the ship closer to the glacier than in GDisney's photo link.

I find the views in Glacier Bay more stunning, and you normally get a lot closer to the glaciers than in Tracy Arm (weather and ship size and captain's discretion can be a factor in either locale however). But to agree with others, you won't be disappointed in either.

Here's a pic of mine from Sawyer Glacier in Tracy Arm in 2012 (zoomed in about 8X).

And here's a pic I took in Glacier Bay in 2011 (not zoomed, but cropped atf). And here's another. :)

We took the Tracy Arm and couldn't make it all the way in and after seeing your picture I would certainly want to try again. I was thinking Glacier would be on the list next but I would love to try Tracy Arm again now. These pictures are wonderful.

Glacier Bay has a wider entrance and gets close to a glacier while Tracy Arm is a narrow dramatic fjord with steep cliffs but our captain told us we were lucky to get a view of the glacier. OP...both have their beauty but I don't know which you'd prefer.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Normally, it would be Glacier Bay, but if you can get a day cruise out of Juneau and see Tracy Arm, it may be your highlight of your whole trip just like it was for my family in 2007. On that trip we visited College Fjord, Glacier Bay, and Tracy Arm. When visiting Tracy Arm on a day cruise, the icebergs can tower over your boat, you can see the sea otters or seals without binoculars, you can get wet from the spray from waterfalls falling into Tracy Arm, and they usually pull in an iceberg for your inspection. It is simply a different and better experience than being on a big ship.

The problem with Tracy Arm is that it is very often missed. Glacier Bay never seems to be missed.

I have attempted Tracy Arm 4x and missed it 4x. I have seen Glacier Bay each and every time I have gone (many times).

On my first cruise to Alaska, we only had 1 glacier on the itinerary (Hubbard) and we missed it. It was incredibly disappointing. If you think this will be your only cruise, do yourself a favor and book Glacier Bay. If you return to Alaska later, put Tracy Arm on your schedule but for the first, definitely do Glacier Bay.

I agree with those who suggest getting a day trip out of Juneau for Tracy Arm but realize, you can also miss it on a small boat. First attempt, we had to turn around due to too much ice, second attempt, we went to Endicott Arm instead as Tracy Arm was too icy.

Edited by Coral

Glacier Bay has a wider entrance and gets close to a glacier while Tracy Arm is a narrow dramatic fjord with steep cliffs but our captain told us we were lucky to get a view of the glacier. OP...both have their beauty but I don't know which you'd prefer.

My Alaska cruise went to Tracy Arm fjord. Yes it was spectacular! This was early June and we were fortunate in that we got "fairly close" to the glacier, but the trip up the fjord was well worth it. My cruise next year takes in Glacier Bay.

My Alaska cruise went to Tracy Arm fjord. Yes it was spectacular! This was early June and we were fortunate in that we got "fairly close" to the glacier, but the trip up the fjord was well worth it. My cruise next year takes in Glacier Bay.

During our early June cruise to Tracy Arm a couple years ago we also got "fairly close" & Capt. Calabrese said that was the furthest he got in 20 years of sailing Alaska. We sailed round-trip Seattle and looking at the Princess brochure Tracy Arm is only available on that 2014 itinerary.

Last July we were lucky to get a short-notice 14 day B2B cruise round-trip from Vancouver. Our cruise included Glacier Bay, College Fjord and Hubbard Glacier which we unfortunately missed due to ice flows and thick fog. :(

For me the highlight of our recent South America cruise was sailing from Ushuaia & viewing many large glaciers. We didn't get as close as they do in Glacier Bay where they spin the ship around which we did two days later at Chile's Amalia Glacier. However to me the South American glaciers sailing from Ushuaia were better than anything I've experienced in Alaska.

We have been to both Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm. They are two entirely different experiences. If you want to see and hear a glacier calving, Margerie Glacier in GB will probably be the best opportunity for that, although there are no gurantees! Glacier Bay is like a big lake, so in my opinion not as scenic as cruising Tracy Arm with its waterfalls, high cliffs on either side, and big chunks of ice floating along your route to/from Sawyer Glacier.

I guess if seeing and hearing a glacier calving were my main interests, I would choose Glacier Bay, but for gorgeous scenery, I would choose Tracy Arm and hope to get close enough to really observe the glacier.

As another poster suggested, best would be an itinerary that includes Glacier Bay and also allows enough time in Juneau to take a small boat excursion into Tracy Arm. That's what we hope to do on our next cruise up there. Have a great time cruising on our favorite ship, Star Princess!

I did Glacier Bay on our first cruise to Alaska. We spent almost the whole day cruising the Bay seeing 4 or 5 glaciers. Pacific Glacier and Margerie Glacier at the end of the Bay were awesome. It is a National Park for a reason, and a ranger comes on-board to tell you what you are seeing and lots of information.

Our 2nd cruise to Alaska included Tracy Arm. We did get to sail far enough in to see North Sawyer glacier from quite a distance, but got closer to South Sawyer. There was lots of icebergs in the water and I worried constantly that our Captain knew what he was doing. Couldn't wait to get turned around and head back out. Lots of waterfalls down the sides of the fjords with the same beautiful scenery for approximately 3-4 hours sailing in Tracy Arm. We saw no calving at Sawyer Glaciers.

I wouldn't be interested in paying the $$$$ they want for the smaller boat excursions from Juneau to Tracy Arm. But then I don't pay $$$$ for any excursions.

Only OP can decide which is best. I like the suggestion from another poster that said to try and find a cruise that offers 3 or 4 glaciers (if glaciers are important to OP). They do seem to be a major site on an Alaskan cruise. And I will admit hearing the smart gunshot sound then seeing the glacier calve was a pretty awesome experience from the bow of HAL Noordam.

I like to start a graph chart with the cruiselines/ships across the top, then down the sides the things of importance to me (cabin, price, ports, times in ports, excursions, etc). As you research put an "X" in the conjoining boxes and as you near the end of your research one should have more x's than the others. That way you don't have to try and remember which one offered what.

Have fun planning then taking your cruise to Alaska. It is an awesome destination!

There isn't a simple answer, and in my opinion, both areas are VERY worthwhile to see. But, in my opinion, it is "necessary" to sail Tracy Arm in a small boat. If you are not going to do this, then the cruise ship transit is way down the "experience" you could be getting. In that case, you will have more scenic viewing from a cruise ship in Glacier Bay.

Frankly, few people are out the entire sailing times. The bulk, in my experience, stay out an hour. I'm extreme, and usually by myself. :) My priority is for the max viewing opportunities, which is a lot of "work". :)