Aqua class ?

Marseydotes

We are considering several cruises for our 50th anniversary next year, so we want something very special! There is a Celebrity Silhouette cruise we might like, and want your input about Aqua class--is it really worth the extra cost? What do you find you enjoy about it the most? Can you describe some of the food at Blu?

Thanks for your help !

We have sailed 3 times in Aqua class on S class ships, and thought it was great. Being able to eat in Blu is by far the best part. The food in Blu was much better than in the MDR. The soups and deserts appear to be healthier. The main dishes do not appear to be healthier, but are very tasty. Breakfast is also very good. We especially like the table side muesli and the smoothies. We also liked the fact that bottled water in the cabin is provided for free, although if you get the free drink package, then that is not much of a perk.

How much extra AQ is worth is really a matter of personal preference. On our first cruise, AQ was the cheapest balcony cabin available when we booked, so it was a no-brainer. On the last two cruises, we specifically looked for cruises where the premium was not too great. We also used the persian garden and relaxation room more on the last cruise, which we enjoyed.

We got a free upgrade to Aqua last May on Infinity and it was great. However, a cruise around Japan that I booked recently for next year would have been $500 pp more than a veranda for Aqua. That was just too much for me.

We sailed on Solstice in Aqua May 23. We loved it! Blu is fabulous! We enjoyed the Persian Garden also.

We are considering several cruises for our 50th anniversary next year, so we want something very special! There is a Celebrity Silhouette cruise we might like, and want your input about Aqua class--is it really worth the extra cost? What do you find you enjoy about it the most? Can you describe some of the food at Blu?

Thanks for your help !

We love the breakfasts and the dinners in AQ. Love the water in the cabin. Don't much care for the tea or crudites in the afternoon. Don't use the Persian Gardens but some love this perk.

We like AQ for Blu, bottled water & showers. Food is subjective as what others think is wonderful I might choke on and what I love others may hate. Blu has some great good and some things not found on an everyday menu e.g. frog legs & quail.

If food and/or the spa are priorities for you then AQ could be a great choice. If you aren't interested in the spa and are food isn't a high priority ( main dining room food is very good) then you may want to consider a standard veranda cabin and use the $ you save for a dinner or two in Murano,a special shore excursion or maybe a limo to the port😊.

Yes, it's important to keep in mind that the cabins are all the same size (up until suites of course) and have the same décor (at least on S class ships). So you are paying for a few extras but mostly dining in Blu.

If a Sky Suite isn't exorbitant, that would be really lovely with the extra room, butler service, etc., and you can still dine in Blu on a space available basis.

My husband and I sailed in Aqua for the first time last month on the Solstice. Besides the access to Blu where we enjoyed breakfast and some dinners and the ability to relax in the Persian Gardens and Relaxation room (which we took full advantage of on daily basis), there were other small perks that we enjoyed as well: plusher robes (which we always wore to walk to the Persian Gardens and Relaxation Room), the tea, priority boarding (and I think our luggage arrived quite fast too), and the location of our cabin (aft, only available on the Solstice, I believe). If the price is right, we wouldn't hesitate to book Aqua again.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We booked Aqua as an experiment last fall on a two week cruise on the Summit, having had two previous wonderful experiences on Century. I don't think we will ever go back to a regular cabin. Our favorite parts of the Aqua experience are Blu and the shower. We haven't tried the Persian Gardens, but will on the next cruise. The bottle of wine and the water were nice, but no big deal.

We loved Blu. The food was by and large exceptional, as was the service. DH got the non alcohol package and believe it or not, they brought him a glass of nonalcoholic wine or a coke every night, without any to do. It was the absolute best beverage service we have ever had on any line, ever. Their roast chicken (really, I'm not kidding) was the best roast chicken ever. Even better than Grandma's. Breakfast was fabulous. The service was quicker than we have experienced in the master dining room, and the food excellent. As an experiment, we ate in the buffet one morning. We were back in Blu the next day.

Our son is getting married this year and for the kids' honeymoon, they wanted a cruise. Yep, we're booking them in Aqua. His fiancé asked about the cost and we told them we don't care, you will love it. (it's our present to them. She is just a really nice kid to think about that.)

I know the whole thing is subjective and some people don't think it is worth the money. That's ok, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Ohiodoglover

We just had our first cruise June 1st to bermuda. Treated ourselves to an aqua room (where normally we would be more inside rooms price wise type of vacationers).

After our cruise we talked about another cruise. We find it hard to not go aqua now after trying it. Mostly blu is the reason. The buffet is not terrible, we never did get to try the mdr. Food in blu wasn't always the best - some nights fantastic, some nights so so. But the atmosphere was nice. We always got seated as soon as we showed up (breakfast and dinner almost every day). We got to eat there for lunch when we first got on board and our last meal was breakfast in blu when leaving the ship sunday.

I'm sure we could survive eating at the mdr and buffet. but it was much nicer having the blu restaurant option. We have no clue how it is to cruise without an aqua room though so keep that in mind. It seemed we got put into the suite category though, for boarding, getting off the ship last day and so forth. So not sure, but it seemed we got faster services by being aqua.

It is worth a certain amount for us to be in aqua but it would have to come down to just how much difference an aqua room is compared to lower rooms. I guess also do you need a balcony or not comes into play. When we got sea sick the firest and 2nd days the balcony was very nice to have to be able to look out and get fresh air without being out of your room. But you could also get this with a regular balcony room.

One of our favorite parts of cruising is gathering with new friends each night at dinner, sharing stories and getting to know each other. When we tried Blu, it was disappointing to find that it is basically only tables for two, albeit close together. DH and I eat dinner alone most nights--we both work from home, so we have tons of time together. So we really missed the larger table experience that we really enjoy.

I realize that some people have the opposite feeling, just providing an alternate POV.

I've been on one Celebrity cruise (Summit) and we were in Aqua Class. I will never again be able to sail Celebrity without booking AQ. It would drive me crazy knowing that Blu was there and we weren't able to take advantage of it.

We loved Blu, the food, the atmosphere and the service.

Dare I be the lone decenter and say that Aqua is not for everyone? :o We tried Blu for the first time on our last cruise - we were in an S1 and so were allowed in with no issues. The dinner in MY opinion was not very good - don't even recall now what I ordered but didn't find it to my liking and the service was slow, dh was also not a fan. We did eat breakfast there twice and thought that the food was very good and the service also. Blu is tucked back there with the specialty restaurants and I felt like I was missing all the action. We did also eat in the specialty restaurants but the food and service was really wonderful in the main dining room. So I guess I'm just saying that while many people love Blu there are those that don't care for it and for a special occasion I'd splurge on a suite.

We agree with Cathy Cruises we just got back from a 28 day South American cruise and after the first few days we asked to go to select dining . We also like sharing a table with 6 or 8 and making new friends almost every day. Blu is mainly tables for 2 and a lot of people like that but the food was the same just served on different nights. Some love Blu and that is fine we just think Aqua class is a waste of money why not use it for the wonderful specialty restaurants .

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I have enjoyed the MDR but found Blu to be a real treat. The service for us was excellent (we were a group of 6) and the food wonderful. Having said that, we were on the Constellation, and M-class ship, so the Persian gardens were not that great. On the Reflection (s-class), we booked a regular balcony cabin and used the extra $$$ to buy the ultimate dining package(all meals in specialty restaurants) and a Persian garden pass. Knowing the cabins were all the same, we opted out of AQ, had a complimentary beverage package that covered bottled water, and really enjoyed the specialty restaurants. Having paid for the Persian garden pass, I made myself go each day. Looking back, it was a wonderful way to escape the excitement on board and really decompress, just for an hour each day. Cruising on the Reflection again soon and doing exactly the same thing. The price difference was $560 for 2 of us, leaving us enough to dine in the specialties and a spa pass for me. It all boils down to what is best for the two of you, but I hope this helps!:)

We usually wind up making friends with other AQ cruisers and often make plans to dine together. A table for four is easy to arrange and a table for eight can be done with some advance notice.

My favorite aspect of Blu is that everything is prepared to order, not plated in advance. So, if I say I want a particular meat or fish but would prefer to have a side that offered with another entree, the waiter is not pulling two meals out for me. Instead of heavy sauces, Blu uses reductions which are lower in fat and calories. But, it bet if you want bernaise on your filet mignon, they'd get if for you.:D

We usually wind up making friends with other AQ cruisers and often make plans to dine together. A table for four is easy to arrange and a table for eight can be done with some advance notice.

SO GLAD you posted this....I always wonder what Blu people are in that say there are "only" tables for two. We've sat at round tables in Blu that seat 6 and there are quite are few that seat 4. We've seen tables joined together for 8, they WILL accommodate what you need if asked.

If you don't like Blu that's fine but this is not a valid reason and it would be unfair to give the impression that it's only for couples.....

SO GLAD you posted this....I always wonder what Blu people are in that say there are "only" tables for two. We've sat at round tables in Blu that seat 6 and there are quite are few that seat 4. We've seen tables joined together for 8, they WILL accommodate what you need if asked.

If you don't like Blu that's fine but this is not a valid reason and it would be unfair to give the impression that it's only for couples.....

You're right, it is possible to have a larger table if you ask for it and have the people to fill it. But if you don't come in with a group, ie have or make friends onboard who are also in Aqua, you will be seated at a table for two. And of course you can try to make conversation with the people sitting next to you, but it's not the same as being seated at the same table each night with the same table mates.

You're right, it is possible to have a larger table if you ask for it and have the people to fill it. But if you don't come in with a group, ie have or make friends onboard who are also in Aqua, you will be seated at a table for two. And of course you can try to make conversation with the people sitting next to you, but it's not the same as being seated at the same table each night with the same table mates.

Of course that's true...I was speaking to people who were travelling WITH groups of people. Blu will accommodate your group. One cruise I was on had a table of 20 each night in Blu.

Just returned from the Solstice, where we were booked AQ and thoroughly enjoyed Blu. If Blu were the only perk of AQ, we would book it every single time. I've included a link to my review, where I list what we ate (each course) each day.

Solstice to Alaska, May 30-June 6:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2056218

Off the top of my head, we enjoyed lobster, lamb, pheasant, trout, rabbit, scallops, salmon...all delicious! And for breakfast, I have one word: Muelsi. It's prepared table side, and we've been making it here at home!

20140606_065126_zps94c1038b.jpg

In regards to large seatings, our restaurant (don't know if the layout is different from ship to ship) had a few large, round tables that accommodated 8-10 guests. We also saw tables of 2 and 4 being pushed together for larger groups (we saw a table of 16 on the last formal night).

But, there's so much more than Blu...

-Priority Boarding, just like suites...you get to skip all the "snaking" lines and get on your ship in no time at all (15 minutes even!)

-Stateroom amenities...I've seen others post about the plush robes, towels, and so forth...bottle of bubbly on ice is such a nice touch upon arrival...binoculars, umbrellas, tote bags, slippers, spa shower head & nozzles...the pillow menu (love my body pillow)...and more! The Celebrity website lists all stateroom amenities, and we received them all. (NOTE: not all items are to be taken home after your cruise, or you will be charged...the umbrellas and binoculars...but other items you may take...like the tote bags)

Persian Gardens...usually reserved for spa treatments and reservations, it's free for AQ guests! It's heated loungers with floor-to-ceiling windows as you sail! There are also two additional rooms, the aromatherapy room and the steam room, that are included. The relaxation room is also nice with, again, floor-to-ceiling windows forward (you're the king of the world!) with a choice of bed loungers or chairs to sit in while enjoying water or tea.

Relaxation room

IMG_1467_zps43ce66fb.jpg

Edited by frawnsay

Dare I be the lone decenter and say that Aqua is not for everyone? :o We tried Blu for the first time on our last cruise - we were in an S1 and so were allowed in with no issues. The dinner in MY opinion was not very good - don't even recall now what I ordered but didn't find it to my liking and the service was slow, dh was also not a fan. We did eat breakfast there twice and thought that the food was very good and the service also. Blu is tucked back there with the specialty restaurants and I felt like I was missing all the action. We did also eat in the specialty restaurants but the food and service was really wonderful in the main dining room. So I guess I'm just saying that while many people love Blu there are those that don't care for it and for a special occasion I'd splurge on a suite.

We were on the cruise with Jane and her husband and we were in Aqua and ate with them the night they ate in Blu.

It was our fourth time in Aqua and totally unlike the other 3 cruises. She is right, the food was just eh and the service was pretty bad (it was like this for the whole cruise) but we're hoping it was just an anomaly and have booked Aqua for our next 3 cruises.

As far as being tucked in the back and missing all the action of the MDR - those are actually the positives of Blu for us but if you love all the action and noise of the MDR then Blu is NOT for you!

Here is an excerpt from my review of our May cruise on the Reflection:

We sailed on the Celebrity Reflection for an eleven night Eastern Mediterranean cruise in May, 2014. We also tried out Aqua Class. All in all, the cruise was excellent.

Our cabin was on the 12th floor, right below the pool deck. This did not lead to any extra noise. We were on the bump, so the balcony was a bit larger. The cabin was nice, and not really all that different from a normal balcony cabin. One notable exception was the shower, which sprayed water out at you from the side if you wanted it to.

The main attraction of Aqua class is that you eat in Blu. This is a nice restaurant, with good food and good service. They did struggle a bit with vegetarian options for my wife, but I was in steak heaven! You also get access to the Persian Garden, which was nice but not overly special. Was Aqua Class worth the extra money? Yes, it was. However, I am sure I would have enjoyed the cruise just as much without it. I would say—go for it if you want to treat yourself, but you will be fine if you decide not to.

Thanks for your help !

Of 8 different cruises on 4 different cruiselines, AQ was the best experience. The cabin with all of the little extras and BLU made it worth the extra cost for us. (The extra fare was about $300 per person on a 10 night cruise).

BLU has its own dedicated kitchen on S class ships. We felt the service and quality were better than a MDR experience. Breakfast there was so much better than the oceanview cafe. Great food and superior service.

Sometimes the price for AQ is way higher than a standard balcony. If that is the case, I would book a non AQ cabin and splurge on a specialty dining package instead. You may come out better that way and have a splendid experience for your 50th.

We were on the cruise with Jane and her husband and we were in Aqua and ate with them the night they ate in Blu.

It was our fourth time in Aqua and totally unlike the other 3 cruises. She is right, the food was just eh and the service was pretty bad (it was like this for the whole cruise) but we're hoping it was just an anomaly and have booked Aqua for our next 3 cruises.

As far as being tucked in the back and missing all the action of the MDR - those are actually the positives of Blu for us but if you love all the action and noise of the MDR then Blu is NOT for you!

We did dine with Karen and Allen - and they love Blu - not so much for us BUT we made really great cruise friends so I guess you could call us Bi ;) - Blu & MDR - lol. This is what makes cruising so awesome - we all like it a bit different. :D