Disapointed

Commodore

Despite all the compliments for Hal service, I am very disapointed with Hal. I called Hal last sunday and ask if a 48 days cruise London to Capetown could be shortened to 26 days London to Dubai the agent said I have to book it first then he will apply for a deviation.Ok I told him to do it came back to me after an hour and said first I have to deposit 3840$ and the price for 48 days cannot be altered.I shall stick to Princess as I am Elite and I shall forget my Mariner status with Hal.

What is HAL to do about the cabin being empty and unpaid for all those days you wish to eliminate from the itinerary? Their goal is to fill all the cabins for the full cruise.

I'm sorry for your disappointment but would be shocked had they agreed to it. Why wouldn't we call cut off days here and there for our individual reasons?

Can you create your own itineraries with Princess? As far as I know, it's limited to lines like Silversea.

With Princess there is a lot of b2b cruises, and as this cruise was for 2015 there is plenty of time to sell the remaining days.

With Princess there is a lot of b2b cruises, and as this cruise was for 2015 there is plenty of time to sell the remaining days.

BUT with it not being sold anywhere as a segmented cruise, the odds of them selling it are slim to none.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How would they advertise that one deviant itinerary?

How can HAL handle that? They can't leave all those days with empty cabins unpaid for. You have the choice to book for the whole cruise, pay for it and leave early. It isn't likely as you'd be losing so much money.

When looked at that way, you likely see HAL does not want to lose all that money either.

Edited by sail7seas

Hmmmmmm,

Interesting scenario you have laid out before us....

I wonder if I could do the scenario you ask about with let's say, an airline? If they sell an advertised route and you ask them to make a stop just for you?

Am I missing something here? Or am I reading right or wrongly what you are upset about?

Joanie

Sorry you are disappointed with HAL, but I completely agree with them..They are in business to fill cabins for full cruises, not partial cruises..

How in heavens name would you think that HAL could get others to purchase a cruise from Dubai to Capetown? Think about it, HAL would have to pay for Govt. employees to clear you into Dubai.. That could cost a fortune for one or two special Psgrs.. As others have said chances of anyone purchasing a partial cruise are slim to none!

HAL also has many B2B cruises..

Edited by serendipity1499

How would they advertise that one deviant itinerary?

How can HAL handle that? They can't leave all those days with empty cabins unpaid for. You have the choice to book for the whole cruise, pay for it and leave early. It isn't likely as you'd be losing so much money.

When looked at that way, you likely see HAL does not want to lose all that money either.

Yes, this would be very interesting....HAL announces a sale on ONE Cabin for 22 days. No choice of cabin. Just one cabin. Very interesting.

Sorry OP, this isn't a store where you can mix and match things to your liking. What is offered is what is available.

I think the OP needs to stay with Princess!

One of the main reasons I sail on HAL is the great service and concern I get from their crew and shore side staff. Once my Mom had an injury the day of the cruise and the HAL rep from the hotel we stayed at bent over backwards to help us out. She went far above the required and was quite helpful and concerned.

DaveOKC

I see no reason why the OP's plan would not work. Of course he would need to be the CEO of HAL or Carnival......:p

And even then it may not work! I think the solution is to charter your own yacht...or be like Barbra and get someone to offer it to you gratis.;)

Yes, this would be very interesting....HAL announces a sale on ONE Cabin for 22 days. No choice of cabin. Just one cabin. Very interesting.

Sorry OP, this isn't a store where you can mix and match things to your liking. What is offered is what is available.

The whole problem is the way it was handled by res. not that Hal could or not sell one cabin it did not go that far but asking for for a 3840$ deposit just to get an answer is insulting.

here is what I received:

Dear Mr. XXXXXXXX

Earlier today I sent in an Itinerary Deviation Request for your booking that would allow you to disembark at Dubai. I’m told by my colleagues that we will only approve deviations once the booking has a deposit on it, if it is outside of Cancellation Fees. We would need to resubmit the request once deposit has been applied. Please be aware that we will not alter the price of the cruise to reflect the early disembarkation. If you have any further questions please contact us again – your booking XXXXis on hold until June 18, 2014. Is trhis the way they treat Mariners?

The whole problem is the way it was handled by res. not that Hal could or not sell one cabin it did not go that far but asking for for a 3840$ deposit just to get an answer is insulting.

here is what I received:

Dear Mr. XXXXXXXX

Earlier today I sent in an Itinerary Deviation Request for your booking that would allow you to disembark at Dubai. I’m told by my colleagues that we will only approve deviations once the booking has a deposit on it, if it is outside of Cancellation Fees. We would need to resubmit the request once deposit has been applied. Please be aware that we will not alter the price of the cruise to reflect the early disembarkation. If you have any further questions please contact us again – your booking XXXXis on hold until June 18, 2014. Is trhis the way they treat Mariners?

If you are outside of the cancellation policy, you could get it refunded if their answer was not to your liking. What would the deposit be if you were booking the whole thing? I have usually encountered cruise deposits of 10-20% of the fare, so for a cruise that long it doesn't surprise me the amount would be that high.

As for requiring it before answering, I can understand that. They want to know you are serious about it. And as I said, if you are outside of the cancellation date you could get it back anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

here is what I received:

Dear Mr. XXXXXXXX

I think you are expecting A LOT from people who are probably paid just above minimum wage. Who knows who answers the phone??? Sometimes we get someone competent, sometimes we could get a newbie. Sometimes we get someone who might not have the sense to ask a superior to find the correct answer. This is the real world-----this is not how it used to be! You are going to find the same or similar issues with ANY cruiseline you deal with. To be a Mariner is to get the perks associated with each level, not special service. When I get to be a 4star, I will not expect to be entitled! Your situation is when you need one of those special TA's who are mentioned in CondeNast Traveler as pros at cruises!

I'm confused - you didn't list the sailing but the Rotterdam has a segment in September that goes from the port you list and arrives in Dubai - no deviation necessary.

Might not be the right cruise but it gets you where you want to get off. I am quite sure it is the right cruise though as the other segment ends in Capetown.

Edited by kazu

I am sorry that you are disappointed in HAL and their decision.

But I just can't see HAL making an exception for you. I can see HAL allowing you to disembark in Dubai -- paying the full fare for the entire cruise and also passing on the fees to you that HAL would have to pay to arrange customs and immigration people to meet you at the ship so that you can be cleared to leave the ship which may be very costly.

OP,

You comment about how to treat Mariners but I'm not sure what you mean. What does the fact you may or may not have sailed with HAL before have to do with this request? Last I heard, there were more than 6 Million living Mariners........ that's a lot of people for whom to try and satisfy special requests.

What would you think would have been the perfect way it should have been handled?

Edited by sail7seas

In response to the OP's second post where he is talking about the offered 2015 cruise and deviation from it.

I can understand that HAL is asking you to make the initial regular deposit before going further on the matter.

I am sorry that you cannot get what you want through HAL. Might I suggest though, that you look at other cruise lines or even a flight? Seems to me that there should be other cruise lines and air lines that would get you from point a to point b a heck of a lot cheaper than a deviation would cost you.

I also would consider that the HAL Rep you talked to has so seldom, if ever, received a request such as yours and more than likely was trying to answer you within the parameters that she knows.

Joanie

In response to the OP's second post where he is talking about the offered 2015 cruise and deviation from it.

I can understand that HAL is asking you to make the initial regular deposit before going further on the matter.

I am sorry that you cannot get what you want through HAL. Might I suggest though, that you look at other cruise lines or even a flight? Seems to me that there should be other cruise lines and air lines that would get you from point a to point b a heck of a lot cheaper than a deviation would cost you.

I also would consider that the HAL Rep you talked to has so seldom, if ever, received a request such as yours and more than likely was trying to answer you within the parameters that she knows.

Joanie

Ah sorry, I missed the 2015. Just the same the segments may not be broken up yet. If it is offered in 2014, the odds are it will be offered on the 2015 I would like to think?

I'm confused - you didn't list the sailing but the Rotterdam has a segment in September that goes from the port you list and arrives in Dubai - no deviation necessary.

Might not be the right cruise but it gets you where you want to get off. I am quite sure it is the right cruise though as the other segment ends in Capetown.

Correct for 2014 but not for 2015. And also I do not request a special treatment but would expect at least a knowledgebale res agent to give the right answers.

Correct for 2014 but not for 2015. And also I do not request a special treatment but would expect at least a knowledgebale res agent to give the right answers.

Sorry for beating a dead horse, but there are NO knowledgable reservation agents. They can take a reservation. That is all anyone can expect. You must have been really lucky previously. To tell you the truth, if I had them make an air reservation and I gave them the wrong date related to my booking, I would expect most to not catch the error. I don't mean to insult the people that work for HAL, but if they are trying to keep costs down, they are paying people only to take a reservation, nothing more--nothing less.