Breakfast and Lunch in the MDR

denmarks

I do not believe I have ever had breakfast or lunch in the MDR and have been on over 10 cruises. Other than being served by a waiter what is the advantage? Is the food any different than the buffet? Maybe I will drop in during my October cruise.

Edited by denmarks

I like breakfast and lunch in the MDR's because it's a bit more civilized than the buffet. The menus are varied and the lunch menu offers many things you won't find in the buffet.

Just like the evening meal they post the menu in advance so you can see if there is something you'd like to try before you go. My usual routine has been to head down and see if there is eggs benedict on before I head up to HC.

Just like the evening meal they post the menu in advance so you can see if there is something you'd like to try before you go. My usual routine has been to head down and see if there is eggs benedict on before I head up to HC.

We never look at the menus ahead of time.

Like the surprise. :rolleyes: Like its really a surprise. :eek:

Plus you get to meet the Muffin Man! :)

No "muffin man" that I recall but the guy that brought the muffins any time I went to breakfast came around once and after that was hard to find. There the same varieties you find at the Horizon & you grab what you can want without any wait. The DR is OK if you're not in a hurry to get to the pool otherwise plan on spending 45 + minutes.

It seems more civilised to eat in comfort, quiet and a leisurely pace compared to the buffet but it can also take three times as long. I prefer it when time is of no consequence (activities or lectures to get to) and especially breakfast on sea days.:D

We like it for the same reasons we like dinner in the dining room. It is a dining experience rather than an eating experience. PLUS, you get to meet other people, if you request to share a table with others. Also, I like the Chef's Salad or Cobb Salad, which you don't get in the buffet. And of course, less effort because you are served. I guess the only downside would be the limited choices (about 4 entrees) compared to the buffet. But we are not picky and all choices are good to us.:)

Relaxed and nice experience...no hunting for a table ....no having to watch people handle food with their hands and then return it....

No norovirus! When DH contacted it several years ago the ship's doctor said all those he'd seen that had it, quite a few, had eaten in the Horizon court. So now it is either the MDR, room service, or other options rather than the Horizon court.

Yes, possible to pick it up elsewhere on the ship but many less people handle the serving utensils, salt & pepper, etc. other places.

The food is hot, or you can send it back, and more choices that you don't see in the Horizon Court.

If you're a tea drinker, you can get a better cup of tea with breakfast in the MDR. The buffet tea is not very good as the water isn't boiling.

One downside to breakfast in the MDR is that it can take longer. That's fine on leisurely days when you want to relax but not if you are pressed for time and have a tour to catch.

The same reasons that others have listed. Also, don't feel that you are limited by what is on the menu. Usually they can bring you other things if you request them. I like my omelets with more items than what are on the breakfast menu. I ask if I can get one made with the items that I like and they always bring it to me made the way I asked. :cool:

My usual routine has been to head down and see if there is eggs benedict on before I head up to HC.

Next time check with a headwaiter. Often eggs Benedict can be ordered every day even if not on the menu for that day.

I like to eat breakfast alone. By the second or third day, the head waiter or MD knows this and they automatically seat me at a small table by myself. On one cruise, the head waiter saved me a lovely table that overlooked the water. He was very adept at his job, and my husband came to breakfast the last morning of the cruise and "took care of business".

I like to eat breakfast alone. By the second or third day, the head waiter or MD knows this and they automatically seat me at a small table by myself. On one cruise, the head waiter saved me a lovely table that overlooked the water. He was very adept at his job, and my husband came to breakfast the last morning of the cruise and "took care of business".

Nice effort.

When we go to the MDR for lunch or Breaky and feel like we do not want to spend too much time, we just ask for a table for two rather than sharing a large table and waiting while people may have their five course breakfast or lunch.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

I try to go when the calamari appetizer is on the menu. Usually the same menu as clam chowder. Calamari and clam chowder: the Lunch of Champions. Otherwise, you can't pry me away from the Horizon Court salad bar -- I love that salad bar!

Breakfast in dining room: nice on disembarkation day, the last chance to be pampered. Otherwise, that's time I could be sleeping. I'll gladly take extra sleep and a yogurt from room service over a sit-down breakfast anywhere on the ship.