Breakfast and Lunch in the MDR

denmarks

...I prefer it when time is of no consequence (activities or lectures to get to) and especially breakfast on sea days.:D

I agree, and also enjoy the MDR on embarkation days for lunch, if it is open. Everyone seems to converge on the Lido buffets as soon as they board, and I suspect many don't even think about the MDR for lunch.

I do!! From the moment I book the cruise! :D

LOL, :D

I put on too much weight thinking about the MDR so try and limit myself to only thinking of the bars.:rolleyes:

Edited by MicCanberra

I normally don't like to eat dinner in the MDR because it just takes too much to sit there for a couple hours each night. However, the Horizon Court is always so crowded at breakfast and lunch. I sometimes go to the MDR for lunch on sea days because it's quiet, not crowded and really doesn't take too long. Also, no searching for a table in the buffet. OTOH, I like the buffet in the evening for a faster meal and it's usually not crowded.

I normally don't like to eat dinner in the MDR because it just takes too much to sit there for a couple hours each night. However, the Horizon Court is always so crowded at breakfast and lunch. I sometimes go to the MDR for lunch on sea days because it's quiet, not crowded and really doesn't take too long. Also, no searching for a table in the buffet. OTOH, I like the buffet in the evening for a faster meal and it's usually not crowded.

This is one of the great things about cruises as they can cater for so many people's preferences.:D

Being that I am still working ( and for many more years), Breakfast is usually rushed, standing in the Kitchen. I LOVE being waited on in the morning. And as one of the posters said, it is great fun meeting different people. DH and I always eat Lunch when it is offered in the MDR. They usually have a small portion of pasta that is to die for. Now excuse me, while I go pop my oatmeal into the microwave. :p;)

I agree, and also enjoy the MDR on embarkation days for lunch, if it is open. Everyone seems to converge on the Lido buffets as soon as they board, and I suspect many don't even think about the MDR for lunch.

And, many simply board too late for it to be an option.

I do not believe I have ever had breakfast or lunch in the MDR and have been on over 10 cruises. Other than being served by a waiter what is the advantage? Is the food any different than the buffet? Maybe I will drop in during my October cruise.

I think the biggest advantage relates to hygiene. The menu offerings at lunch are very limited in the MDR. There is more at breakfast, but still a bit behind the buffet.

I'll be eating lunch in the main dining room every day on our upcoming cruise. It doesn't matter what is on the menu. I usually order the same thing--fresh melon and pineapple, smoked salmon, rye toast, and green tea. I will order the eggs florentine the day it's the special. And the last morning, I may order an omelet--something a little more filling for our travel day.

AHOY SHIPMATES

MY FAVORITE CRUISELINE IS HAL. ONLY EAT EVENING MEAL IN MDR

at table for 6 or 8 early seating. Service is very slow and getting worse

due to shortage of help to save money & make the CEO look good.

Breakfast and lunch in LIDO is EXCELLENT and cooks will respond to your special requests. Variety is also extensive. Breakfast or lunch in MDR is like eating with my grandparents, and food usually arrives "warm" at best.

NEXT CHOICE IS CARNIVAL ( live about 15 min from port in JAX)

BREAKFAST in LIDO is really great due to variety and response to special requests, fresh eggs are always available if requested.

LUNCH in LIDO offers MONGOLIAN BBQ, opens at noon and has 3 Philipeano

chefs who are really good. (as proven by number of STAFF who eat there at end of line in port)

BRUNCH in MDR(opens at 0830) is served on AT SEA DAYS, They specialize in Eggs Benedict & my favorite, Juevos Rancheros. Always eat there on last day at sea of cruise. Food is HOT and served quickly.

COFFEE IS ALWAYS BEST in MDR. Lido has old water pipes and shaky

water pressure which messes up the coffee machines. It is drinkable if mixed

half & half with the hot chocolate.

PS,

I'm a retired Chef.

GARY

The only time we don't eat breakfast in the MDR is on days with early excursions. We love breakfast in the MDR as it so pleasant. Often, after a few days some of the people we know join us. Breakfast is a great time to catch up without the formality of dinner.

As for lunch, we go either way-depending on what we're doing and how much we want to eat. We tend to be more fluid around lunch time.

We almost always eat dinner in the MDR as well.

What can I say...we enjoy it!

Boy, great tips here! Have never tried MDR breakfast or lunch as yet! Seemd to have gotten wrapped up in the excitement of goings-on on the cruise! I need to slow down:)....would use the IC quite often on early morns....definitely will do the MDR other than dinner and "take it slow and easy". Thanks again for the experienced tips offerred:)

Boy, great tips here! Have never tried MDR breakfast or lunch as yet! Seemd to have gotten wrapped up in the excitement of goings-on on the cruise! I need to slow down:)....would use the IC quite often on early morns....definitely will do the MDR other than dinner and "take it slow and easy". Thanks again for the experienced tips offerred:)

Just don't waste to much time chatting at breakfast or all the seats will be taken at the pools.

Boy, great tips here! Have never tried MDR breakfast or lunch as yet! Seemd to have gotten wrapped up in the excitement of goings-on on the cruise! I need to slow down....would use the IC quite often on early morns....definitely will do the MDR other than dinner and "take it slow and easy". Thanks again for the experienced tips offerred

1st cruise was to Alaska and a hectic time, learning about the ship, excursions and everything. We met ourselves coming and going! :p Got stuck in the rut of HC and couldn't seem to break it!

2nd cruise was back to Alaska and was more enjoyable but still a little hectic! Able to find time to dine in comfort at the MDR whether it was Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner.. Even found Sabatini's and Crown Grill as relaxing venues! :rolleyes:

3rd cruise was to Hawaii and everything was relaxed and very comfortable! To say we enjoyed ourselves eating at all of the various venues would be an understatement. ;)

4th cruise was Can/New England and way too many ports for us. Never do that hectic of a cruise again. We did however enjoy sitdown Breakfasts and HC Lite Lunches or a snack at the IC and then fantastic MDR/Specialty Dinners!:rolleyes:

Our next one is the Hawaii & Tahiti cruise, :D so no matter what life brings our way we will always take time to enjoy our cruises to the fullest!;)

Edited by RetiredNTraveling

I do not believe I have ever had breakfast or lunch in the MDR and have been on over 10 cruises. Other than being served by a waiter what is the advantage? Is the food any different than the buffet? Maybe I will drop in during my October cruise.

Like you, we had never eaten breakfast or lunch in MDR during our first six cruises. But after following Pescado Amarillo's blog this last winter, we tried it and were delighted. On our last cruise after boarding we headed to MDR for lunch. You all know how crazy it is in the Horizon Court on sailaway day. The MDR was just so relaxing and while you don't have the variety of the buffet, there is plenty to choose from and the food was excellant. The other thing we tried was breadfast in MDR on disembakation day. Again it was so relaxing I think it will become a regular part of our cruising routine. :)