Things that HAL could improve on....

RMLincoln

I agree. The PG and the Tamarind are proof that HAL can deliver a wonderful and exciting dining experience. We haven't tried the Canaletto yet, so I can't comment. We are hoping to try it on our upcoming winter cruise. If only there were more options....

If you're looking for wonderful and exciting, I would avoid the Canaletto since its neither of those things. Unless you consider something along the lines of the Olive Garden wonderful and exciting.

The Canaletto is a huge mystery to me. It could be so much better. One of my best friends is a chef and owns 3 restaurants. He always says "Italian food is one of the easiest styles to do very well, so there's no excuse for bad Italian food".

:eek: Really? Is that for two?

Have you dined in some of the finer restaurants in London lately?

It is entirely possible for a tab to be that high for two with a middle grade bottle of wine. We paid $400+ for dinner at The Dorchester years ago. I am sure the price did not go down in all these years. Sure, it's a treat and few do it regularly but the memories are very special. :)

Unfortunately yes!!! Two appetizers $25 each, Entrees $50 to $75 each, Desserts $15 to $20 each, after dinner drinks $12 each and the all important bottle of quality wine $300. You leave a 20% tip for what truly is exceptional service and you're at $600. Doesn't happen more than 3 to 4 times a year but it does happen.

The best restaurants in Boston are priced commensurately. Certainly one doesn't need to dine in such places and there are plenty of restaurants far more moderate but the special places really are 'special'. :)

We used to celebrate major events at The Four Seasons Hotel, Aujourd 'hui, as their Boston restaurants was called. It was outstanding in everyway..... including their out of this world pricing. Sadly, while the hotel still flourishes that restaurant has been closed. Seems there was sinking demand for that sort of elegance left in the city/country. Too few folks were willing or interested in dining in that fashion.

And that brings us back to the discussion about how many are not interested in dressing for a formal evening in the MDR. My late DH had brought his tuxedo on more than 70+ cruises when he finally said 'no more'. Our last cruises, he wore suit and sometimes sport jacket. He was tired of being among the 10% (on some cruises) dressed in tuxedo.

A serious question to all of those who partake in formal night. Does the quality of the food in the MDR today match the quality of the formal night dress code? From what I read here that does not seem to be the case. Although my wife and I are 4 star mariners we have never once eaten in the MDR and never intend to.

My wife and I on occasion get dressed up for dinner at home. The check for those occasions is more than an inside cabin costs for 2 people for a 7 day Alaskan cruise from what I am seeing of HAL's rates now. $299 for an inside cabin on the Oosterdam for a 7 day cruise. Jeez that's cheap!!!

I guess what I am trying to find out is if the food is special enough for all of the hoopla of a formal event.

This has been my question when reading reviews of the food and the service, thinking of the banquet hall environment [NOT my favorite part of being the commanders wife!!!], the quality of food described as MAYBE 2-3 star quality [by description only - plating doesn't improve the taste], all as you mentioned.

if you divided the middle of the road fare x 21 [just meals] I can spend that much on a decent night of sushi and drinks - and not even have to dress up!! I don't wear formal wear to Chili's or the local ethnic restaurant and that's what the menus look like to me. I mean - it looks good, but if it's not hot/cold/awesome service, then it's not a "Formal" environment.

But then, my dearly beloved old mother still thinks you shouldn't have a guitar in church...and drums will surely send you all to hell

We love HAL's ships, we love HAL's service, we love HAL's intineraries! What I am not as crazy about are the things I see changing, wine stewards, less servers, more cabins per room steward, charging for more and more items al carte. Their wine offerings are border line atrocious. Their beverage package is bad (other lines allow only one guest in a room to sign up). I also don't like something that Hank has pointed out for years, cutting port times to save on fuel.

Here is my solution that I think only I like. Charge more for the freaking cruise! We have found ourselves being more and more attracted to the higher end lines because they make a more special experience. HAL continues to execute a poor pricing strategy. Quite trying to out Carnival Carnival. Place yourselves as a true mid point between mass market lines and the likes of Crystal.

There, thats all I have to say about that :D

I guess what I am trying to find out is if the food is special enough for all of the hoopla of a formal event.

You're making the mistake of equating the food with how people dress. Two separate things.

This has been my question when reading reviews of the food and the service, thinking of the banquet hall environment [NOT my favorite part of being the commanders wife!!!], the quality of food described as MAYBE 2-3 star quality [by description only - plating doesn't improve the taste], all as you mentioned.

if you divided the middle of the road fare x 21 [just meals] I can spend that much on a decent night of sushi and drinks - and not even have to dress up!! I don't wear formal wear to Chili's or the local ethnic restaurant and that's what the menus look like to me. I mean - it looks good, but if it's not hot/cold/awesome service, then it's not a "Formal" environment.

But then, my dearly beloved old mother still thinks you shouldn't have a guitar in church...and drums will surely send you all to hell

:confused: So why not find a cruise line that suits you better?

If HAL's food is so disappointing to you, why sail with them? :eek:

Improve the ships leaving from San Diego.

The old ones with less balconies leave from here. So they price the balconies and suites much higher on those ships. These are old style ships. The theater has tables and chairs (Veendam).

Also definetly need to expand food operation time in the Lido.

Can't even get a cookie there at night.

We cruise mostly Princess but love to leave from San Diego so do a HAL cruise once a year. Always have a good time on HAL and meet the nicest people on board.

Absolutely! Just one example from our recent trip: On the last formal night of our recent cruise, there were four of us at our table, two couples. Both of the men were attired in tuxedos (technically semi-formal, I know.) One of the ladies was wearing a long gown. One wore a cocktail dress.

The woman in the gown got extra lobster. Coincidence? I think not!

If there is a dress code and we know what it is, we comply. We don't mind packing dress clothes and schlepping them half way around the world just to have one dinner in a single restaurant. We do it all the time.

I completely understand that there are people don't want to do that. That's their business. What I don't understand is why some people are so dead set against formal nights.

Because right behind them are the people who don't want to wear long pants. And they're being followed by the people who would be more comfortable eating in their robes and slippers.

I know what you're saying. You're saying, "That would never happen!" I'm sure that's what people said 20 years ago about not wearing a tie.

As we near the end of the rant, I must confess that the passenger who got the extra lobster ordered extra lobster. Looping back around to the question about the formal night food: In my opinion, it's generally a bit better than on a regular night.

I do like where you're going with your train of thought though. The more effort you put into looking nice, the better your meal selections.

"I'm sorry sir, but that's a clip on tie. I'm afraid the tenderloin is off the table."

"That's a lovely gown, madame. Would you care to see the secret chocolate dessert menu?"

Yes! You are the Seinfeld of the cruise industry!

We love HAL's ships, we love HAL's service, we love HAL's intineraries! What I am not as crazy about are the things I see changing, wine stewards, less servers, more cabins per room steward, charging for more and more items al carte. Their wine offerings are border line atrocious. Their beverage package is bad (other lines allow only one guest in a room to sign up). I also don't like something that Hank has pointed out for years, cutting port times to save on fuel.

Here is my solution that I think only I like. Charge more for the freaking cruise! We have found ourselves being more and more attracted to the higher end lines because they make a more special experience. HAL continues to execute a poor pricing strategy. Quite trying to out Carnival Carnival. Place yourselves as a true mid point between mass market lines and the likes of Crystal.

There, thats all I have to say about that :D

I couldn't agree more. There's absolutely NO cheap season now. Every cruise is cheap. Before Christmas is dirt cheap,after Christmas is dirt cheap. I spent two week on the Noordam for Xmas and New years and feel like I stole the cruise. I'm getting emails for Alaskan cruises for $249 for an inside cabin. How on earth do you make money like this? Why bring a ship all the way from Lauderdale to Seattle to only get $249 for a cruise. Might as well leave it in Lauderdale.

Make the $399 inside cabin $999 and give me back everything. from 10 years ago.

With these prices NONE of the changes people are clamoring for on this thread will EVER happen

more like the Dusty Springfield song "Wishin And Hopin"

I couldn't agree more. There's absolutely NO cheap season now. Every cruise is cheap. Before Christmas is dirt cheap,after Christmas is dirt cheap. I spent two week on the Noordam for Xmas and New years and feel like I stole the cruise. I'm getting emails for Alaskan cruises for $249 for an inside cabin. How on earth do you make money like this? Why bring a ship all the way from Lauderdale to Seattle to only get $249 for a cruise. Might as well leave it in Lauderdale.

Make the $399 inside cabin $999 and give me back everything. from 10 years ago.

With these prices NONE of the changes people are clamoring for on this thread will EVER happen

more like the Dusty Springfield song "Wishin And Hopin"

The problem is us fools who are paying the full price for those "S" and "SA" cabins. We are paying high prices and keep getting a diminished product. If they price those cabins much higher than now commensurately with your suggestion to increase the price of Inside/Oceanview etc cabins, how much more can they charge for the higher end cabins? There are limits what people will pay and they will continue to give most of them away because few will be willing to pay so much more for what they know others are getting for $299 upsell. No one wants 'sucker' printed on their forehead.

Easy Now...I spent several years in Law Enforcement. All I knew were clip on ties...LOL!!!!

Well, when you accessorize with a sidearm, it really dresses up the outfit. (Is nickel plated more formal than tactical matte black?) :)

You're making the mistake of equating the food with how people dress. Two separate things.

Hi Ruth:

I always highly value your opinion. All I am wondering is if the dining experience is worth the investment of getting all dressed up for the evening. I have ordered room service off of the formal night menu for balcony dining. The steak and lobster is honestly no better than Outback or Longhorn. If I told my wife we need to get dressed up for Outback or Longhorn she would insist that I take sea day excursion such as wake surfing...LOL!

:confused: So why not find a cruise line that suits you better?

If HAL's food is so disappointing to you, why sail with them? :eek:

I haven't even been on a ship yet. I had questions based on reviews.

My comment made as simple as I can make it - is the quality of the food and service deserving of a formal setting?

or is the 'OMG you got to be formal' from a remnant who think things should never change and by George if they dressed up in ______ - we should still do it now.

FWIW I'm not looking for 4 or 5 star [so I'm sure I am not going to be disappointed]...but I'm not going to buy, pack, and maintain formal wear for 2 hour period of time every other year. HOLLAND AMERICA says slacks and a dressy top are okay - I can do that.

Well, when you accessorize with a sidearm, it really dresses up the outfit. (Is nickel plated more formal than tactical matte black?) :)

It's those black patent leather shoes that make you. If you start bringing sidearms into it you fall into that age old argument of mine is bigger than yours.

I haven't even been on a ship yet. I had questions based on reviews.

My comment made as simple as I can make it - is the quality of the food and service deserving of a formal setting?

or is the 'OMG you got to be formal' from a remnant who think things should never change and by George if they dressed up in ______ - we should still do it now.

FWIW I'm not looking for 4 or 5 star [so I'm sure I am not going to be disappointed]...but I'm not going to buy, pack, and maintain formal wear for 2 hour period of time every other year. HOLLAND AMERICA says slacks and a dressy top are okay - I can do that.

I missed that your post I quoted first above was in advance of having experienced a HAL cruise. I didn't know it is hypothetical..... missed that part.

The problem is us fools who are paying the full price for those "S" and "SA" cabins. We are paying high prices and keep getting a diminished product. If they price those cabins much higher than now commensurately with your suggestion to increase the price of Inside/Oceanview etc cabins, how much more can they charge for the higher end cabins? There are limits what people will pay and they will continue to give most of them away because few will be willing to pay so much more for what they know others are getting for $299 upsell. No one wants 'sucker' printed on their forehead.

I so agree. I want to select a reasonably priced suite in the location that I want; I don't want to be offered an upsell guarantee and take whatever's convenient for the cruiseline. And unfortunately for HAL, other lines do make that possible.

So we're trying other lines, but I really want HAL to be a more competitive option.

Honestly, I wish they would hold prices firm. That's pretty much what I'm suggesting. Keep prices at a moderate level instead of extreme highs and low lows. When I first started looking at my cruise for November Hal wanted over $4 k for it. Are you kidding me for a 14 day Caribbean cruise? If history repeats itself the price will be down to about $2200 by mid September or so. Why not just pick a more moderate price to begin with? I was thinking about going with a group of people on the Westy next April. I think that cruise is going for about $6 k for a balcony. No thanks, especially on that ship. I'll go Princess instead.

Do you really think that the lines have not studied pricing models to find the strategy which brings in the most revenue? When someone books a specific cabin for a specific itinerary he is not just buying the use of the cabin - he is paying for the certainty that he will have that specific cabin when he sails - plus, most probably, the dining time he wants. He is also able to lock in any necessary flight arrangements: in short he is making a decision. I would be happy to only pay last minute discounted prices also - especially if I could lock them in in advance. They do not always happen - sometimes the prices continually go up.

History does not always repeat itself - but you should feel free to regularly bet that it will. Then you will get your last minute bargain and be happy. If your bet does not pay off, you might then think that it pays to check prices for offerings and buy when the over-all value to you looks right.

The challenge is that for many people a cruise is just one of several options for leisure travel. The cruise lines are in competition with AI's , independent land travel, resorts, organized land tours...what have you.

We happen to like independent land tours. We did a number of Med cruises over the past two years because the verandah prices were very, very low. They hit our sweet spot. We would not have done them otherwise-and we combined them with our land tours.

We recently reviewed cruise prices in SE Asia. They are high and really do not go where we want to go or spend time where we want to spend time. Our decision was to go with an independent land tour, have a different vacation experience, and travel for a much longer period for the same budget.

Cruisers have lots of choices-within the cruise marketplace and within the leisure marketplace. The cruise lines are very aware of this and I am certain that the mass market lines factor this into their decision making process.

Edited by iancal

[quote name='iancal']HAL could improve many things on their ships.
I suspect that HAL is already loosing some customers to the premium lines like Oceania, Azamara, etc. Increasing prices will only send more business to these premiums lines. After all, if you are going to pay a premium price you may as well have a premium experience.[/QUOTE]

This is likely true; my wife and I will be trying Oceania for our next cruise because food is very important to us. We didn't mind paying for the PG when the food in the MDR was not so good on our last cruise, but the PG doesn't have much variety. And frankly, even the PG overcooked the veggies.

[quote name='Mytime2014']I haven't even been on a ship yet. I had questions based on reviews.
My comment made as simple as I can make it - is the quality of the food and service deserving of a formal setting? [/QUOTE]
IMO, no it was not. The conversation and atmosphere on both formal nights really was no different than the ones we wrote dark jeans and a nice shirt to. The filet mignon was really sad at about only a 1/2 inch think (if even that). I couldn't believe it, the only time I've seen one that thin was when my mother would ask to have hers cooked extra well done and they'd have to butterfly it. They should have been embarrassed to serve that.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

[quote name='sherilyn70']IMO, no it was not. The conversation and atmosphere on both formal nights really was no different than the ones we wrote dark jeans and a nice shirt to. The filet mignon was really sad at about only a 1/2 inch think (if even that). I couldn't believe it, the only time I've seen one that thin was when my mother would ask to have hers cooked extra well done and they'd have to butterfly it. They should have been embarrassed to serve that.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk[/quote]

Your opinion is what I have seen a lot of - it seems like the food is hit or miss, average or average +. And that's okay because I'm not paying for a 5 star cruise.
If I could afford the 5 star cruises, I would go formal because if I had that kind of money, I wouldn't have to worry about the cost of dress and all the accoutrements - and I'd probably not be working like a dog to get to take ONE cruise!!! Still, I can't wait to get onboard and enjoy everything there is to enjoy.

[quote name='sail7seas'][B] The problem is us fools who are paying the full price for those "S" and "SA" cabins. We are paying high prices and keep getting a diminished product. If they price those cabins much higher than now commensurately with your suggestion to increase the price of Inside/Oceanview etc cabins, how much more can they charge for the higher end cabins? There are limits what people will pay and they will continue to give most of them away because few will be willing to pay so much more for what they know others are getting for $299 upsell. No one wants 'sucker' printed on their forehead.
[/B][/QUOTE]

It's not just you that pays the high prices. It's pretty much anyone that's foolish enough to book early. I'm in that crowd.

[quote name='navybankerteacher']Do you really think that the lines have not studied pricing models to find the strategy which brings in the most revenue? When someone books a specific cabin for a specific itinerary he is not just buying the use of the cabin - he is paying for the certainty that he will have that specific cabin when he sails - plus, most probably, the dining time he wants. He is also able to lock in any necessary flight arrangements: in short he is making a decision. I would be happy to only pay last minute discounted prices also - especially if I could lock them in in advance. They do not always happen - sometimes the prices continually go up.

History does not always repeat itself - but you should feel free to regularly bet that it will. Then you will get your last minute bargain and be happy. If your bet does not pay off, you might then think that it pays to check prices for offerings and buy when the over-all value to you looks right.[/QUOTE]
So you think they study pricing models but they are not bright enough to figure out that sailing from NY is not profitable. Alrighty then.