labadee

UncAl618

Hi

We r booked on the May 23 2015 cruise on the Oasis. My husband and I have done this itinerary before but love going on the Oasis.

In the past when we stopped at Labadee we had to w a l k and w a l k to the beach which was exhausting. Is there a shuttle or jitney that can take you to the beach.

I know the cruise is almost a year away but we love the planning.

fancynancy

The trams are free and run a continuous down and back route from just past the entrance to Labadee off the pier to the furthest beaches. They will also stop en route if you flag them. There are also private smaller shuttles for Barefoot Beach suite guests that wait near the same embarkation area past the entrance as well.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Thanks for posting this question as I wanted to know as well. Does anyone know if there is there a Labadee map that is clearly labeled and also printable?

Also, if my kids want to do the zip line, are they given a specific time? And where would best place be for parents/others in group to wait up for them when they are done? Just wondering what most people do.

Thanks for posting this question as I wanted to know as well. Does anyone know if there is there a Labadee map that is clearly labeled and also printable?

Also, if my kids want to do the zip line, are they given a specific time? And where would best place be for parents/others in group to wait up for them when they are done? Just wondering what most people do.

This is a decent map:

labadeelinkmap2.jpg

We enjoyed Columbus as well. It wasn't overly crowded and it was in a perfect spot whether you wanted to browse the vendors, eat or just relax. It is quite far though, for those that can't do much walking. It involved going up and down steps too for those that may be impaired.

Just as an FYI, last time I checked, Labadee was never an "island". Labadee is a made up name and is located on what is very much a part of the country of Haiti, the most impoverished in the western world. It is to the west of the Dominican republic, which shares the same island. RCI named this area, which is leased from Haiti, after Marquis de La Badie, a French slave owner who came to Haiti in the 1600s. Why did RCI choose a variation of HIS name? I have no clue.

Sorry, but just a wee bit of background information for you.

http://www.ezilidanto.com/zili/2011/10/haitis-stolen-legacy-by-royal-caribbean-elevating-the-slaveholder-labadee/

Labadee is just a small part of an island, and even RCI never mentioned Haiti when promoting it. Most people just show up there and have no clue as to where they are! "Private Island"? Not even close as you are in Haiti.

Just as an FYI, last time I checked, Labadee was never an "island". Labadee is a made up name and is located on what is very much a part of the country of Haiti, the most impoverished in the western world. It is to the west of the Dominican republic, which shares the same island. RCI named this area, which is leased from Haiti, after Marquis de La Badie, a French slave owner who came to Haiti in the 1600s. Why did RCI choose a variation of HIS name? I have no clue.

Sorry, but just a wee bit of background information for you.

http://www.ezilidanto.com/zili/2011/10/haitis-stolen-legacy-by-royal-caribbean-elevating-the-slaveholder-labadee/

Labadee is just a small part of an island, and even RCI never mentioned Haiti when promoting it. Most people just show up there and have no clue as to where they are! "Private Island"? Not even close as you are in Haiti.

Yes, and the real name is Saint Honore Point. Labadee is sing song.

Amazing all the development over the years. It used to be a tender ride to a beach area and not much else.

Hi

We r booked on the May 23 2015 cruise on the Oasis. My husband and I have done this itinerary before but love going on the Oasis.

In the past when we stopped at Labadee we had to w a l k and w a l k to the beach which was exhausting. Is there a shuttle or jitney that can take you to the beach.

I know the cruise is almost a year away but we love the planning.

fancynancy

The Labadee compound isn't that big. Oasis can involve more walking than Labadee does.:eek:

Aside from building a school in Haiti (under $500K spent) what else has RCI done for Haiti, especially after the 2010 earth quake? Cruise lines almost always take advantage of impoverished islands in this regard. It's really no different than Falmouth in Jamaica. Falmouth has hardly gained a thing from RCI being there, and how long before Jamaica regains the over $100 million they spent to build that port, dredge the harbor, etc?

RCI said the cruise pax would spend money in the town. Yeah....okay....

Sorry folks, enjoy yourselves there, but please understand reality.

Aside from building a school in Haiti (under $500K spent) what else has RCI done for Haiti, especially after the 2010 earth quake? Cruise lines almost always take advantage of impoverished islands in this regard. It's really no different than Falmouth in Jamaica. Falmouth has hardly gained a thing from RCI being there, and how long before Jamaica regains the over $100 million they spent to build that port, dredge the harbor, etc?

Some information regarding these statements.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentOurCompanyCommunity.do?pagename=Haiti_relief_daily_update

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/01/21/haiti.tourism.ethics/

At least the company has made efforts to help.

Lou,

So, what are we to do? Should we not travel anywhere in the world? Aren't airlines, vacation resorts, travel agencies, hotel chains, and anything else in the tourist industry also "taking advantage" of the lesser fortunate countries?

I understand the reality of Haiti, having lived there for 18 months as a missionary in the 1980's , and I applaude businesses like Royal Caribbean for doing what they do. Sure, I get it.. they did not build up Labadee to help Haiti. They built it up to make a buck. That's how the world works. And, I'm OK with that. It employs locals, and specifically with Haiti, does contribute to the community. I'll guarantee that the locals you see on Labadee are making considerably more income than the national average.

First of all, I have no issue with Jamaica. I love it there. But plenty of folks who post around here talk about how they feel unsafe and don't appreciate being hit on to buy drugs. If the Jamaicans want people in town spending money then they need to provide a safe feeling environment. That is not RCI's job. It is the locals that create the environment once you leave the security area of the pier.

As for Labadee, no one is going to spend money in town when you can't get past the the fence, closed gate, and armed guard. It is a compound created for one purpose, to make money for RCI. But I would bet that if you ask any one of those locals working inside the compound if they are better off with RCI there or without the answers would most likely all be the same... with. It isn't as if RCI controlling Labadee is keeping something out that would be better for the local area. Without RCI there would simply be far less difference between what is on the two sides of the fence. Of course, there would be no need for a fence in the first place.

Does anyone know if there is transportation available from the ship to the tram on the Island? I am somewhat walking challenged and would not be able to walk the length of the dock. Thanks for your help.

I did see passengers in the wheelchairs with the large rubber wheels for sand that were being pushed by RCI employees. Not sure if this had to be arranged in advance or not.

Thanks. BTW, thanks for the heads up on the great "deal". Bagged a D2 for $361/pax!

I did see passengers in the wheelchairs with the large rubber wheels for sand that were being pushed by RCI employees. Not sure if this had to be arranged in advance or not.

Hubby had an unexpected bad knee on our last cruise and we just asked about a wheelchair when we disembarked in Labadee and they gave him a ride.

Tapatalk posting