Amalfi Coast tour company recommendations

AEGBRG

Hi everyone,

Can anyone recommend a great tour company for the Amalfi Coast and Positano? We did the Amalfi Coast drive and Pompeii tour through the cruise boat, but that was 7 years ago. That was the best ship tour we ever had, but we are thinking about doing private this time so we can have more control on what to do because there are so many options in that area. We are also looking to combine it with possibly Pompeii again since we do not really remember it that well or possibly going to Sorrento, where we have not been yet. Is Sorrento worth the visit as opposed to going back to Pompeii? Some say there is not much to see there.

Thanks in advance. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Another vote for APTours. Have used them many times and will use them again next May when we visit the area again.

Quality tour but less expensive than most of the others…… and very easy to work with. They can help you plan what you can and can't do in the time frame you have.

We do Pompeii first, then to Ravello, Amalfi and Positano - then to Sorrento where we take the ferry back to Naples. Havent really explored Sorrento but to me it felt like a bigger city and we enjoy the smaller villages more.

Our last trip we opted to skip Ravello and have lunch at La Tagliata. While it was good, it took up too much time. So won't do that again. There is a little place in Amalfi we like - will grab some yummy pizza there.

We have been to Italy twice on cruises and used Rome In Limo both times. We will be going back in two weeks for a land vacation without cruise and will still be using RIL. Their drivers are excellent, safe, and speak clear English. They are native to the area you are touring and really give you a native's feel for your surroundings instead of simply the tourist version. They don't take you to the chinsy shops/factories for you to buy ceramics and other stuff unless you specifically ask them to.

Their tours are designed around you and what your group wants to do. They will give you suggestions if you want and they have lots of info about possibilities on their website.

You can look all over Cruise Critic and you will find they are highly recommended. I don't think they have a single negative review. I know in Rome they have private or shared tours available to choose from, but I don't know about Amalfi. Their prices are VERY reasonable and their service is outstanding!

We will be doing completely private tours with them this time for Amalfi Coast, Rome, and Florence. When we went on cruises, I went on our cruise roll call and found others to join us (making groups of 6) so the per person cost was cut down.

Have an amazing time!!!

http://www.privatetourinitaly.com

We used Domenico from Private Tour in Italy for the Rome, Naples and Florence ports. He was absolutely fantastic and I have sent him numerous people over the years. In fact friends of mine are currently on a cruise as we speak and will be using him in Naples and Rome this week

I also wrote a very detailed review on Trip Advisor to which he has a very excellent rating.

Feel free to ask any further questions.

Regards,

Frank

Reading several of the comments reaffirmed my view which is that there are several terrific tour companies that you can use for your tour. In fact, reading some of the comments echo my own experience which is that some of our tours were some of the best we have ever taken around the world and we also had guides who lived in the areas all their lives.

So, my suggestion is do some additional reading (trip advisor is an easy way to also read about the tour companies, visit their web sites to see what they offer and then send the one(s) you are interested in an e mail to inquire about the tour. The good thing is that even though most of them list tours you can customize them to meet your needs and in most cases they can easily do that for you.

Keith

We just came back from our cruise. Tendered into Sorrento and used Joe Banana. We had Roberto as our guide to the Amalfi coast - absolutely amazing. Roberto was a really good driver - essential for that road. And he entertained us well. Would definitely recommend.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have been to Italy twice on cruises and used Rome In Limo both times. We will be going back in two weeks for a land vacation without cruise and will still be using RIL. Their drivers are excellent, safe, and speak clear English. They are native to the area you are touring and really give you a native's feel for your surroundings instead of simply the tourist version. They don't take you to the chinsy shops/factories for you to buy ceramics and other stuff unless you specifically ask them to.

Their tours are designed around you and what your group wants to do. They will give you suggestions if you want and they have lots of info about possibilities on their website.

You can look all over Cruise Critic and you will find they are highly recommended. I don't think they have a single negative review. I know in Rome they have private or shared tours available to choose from, but I don't know about Amalfi. Their prices are VERY reasonable and their service is outstanding!

We will be doing completely private tours with them this time for Amalfi Coast, Rome, and Florence. When we went on cruises, I went on our cruise roll call and found others to join us (making groups of 6) so the per person cost was cut down.

Have an amazing time!!!

I second the vote for Rome in Limo.

You will love the private tours even more. I mentioned to my husband that if we ever do a land based trip to Italy, we should still use Rome in Limo and he wholeheartedly agreed.

Have a great trip!

I have used Romeinlimo for several tours on our last cruise and using them again for our trip to Italy. We are doing the Amalfi coast tour with them as well. I have had excellent service with them and would recommend them highly. They are very well recommened so do be afraid to use them

http://www.romeinlimo.com/

I have used Romeinlimo for several tours on our last cruise and using them again for our trip to Italy. We are doing the Amalfi coast tour with them as well. I have had excellent service with them and would recommend them highly. They are very well recommened so do be afraid to use them

http://www.romeinlimo.com/

When you tour the Amalfi coast, ask them to bring you to Da Constantino for lunch.

Spectacular views from the cliffs looking down into the bay of Naples. The food is delicious and very reasonable.

I have said it before and will say it again…… why pay more for the same experience ????

Admittedly there are a few really good tour companies in this area…..I am not saying you won't get a great experience with any one of them BUT - the prices can vary ALOT ! Like 100 euros !!!!!! Thats about $130-140.00 ALOT !!!!! I can't figure out why there is so much difference but I for one would rather spend that money on souvenirs or something else if I can get the same great tour for less ;)

So after you narrow down your choices, check the reviews and check the prices……

We have used APTours every time we have docked in Naples and have had a PERFECT day every time…… for less money……

Just sayin'

I have said it before and will say it again…… why pay more for the same experience ????

Admittedly there are a few really good tour companies in this area…..I am not saying you won't get a great experience with any one of them BUT - the prices can vary ALOT ! Like 100 euros !!!!!! Thats about $130-140.00 ALOT !!!!! I can't figure out why there is so much difference but I for one would rather spend that money on souvenirs or something else if I can get the same great tour for less ;)

We have used APTours every time we have docked in Naples and have had a PERFECT day every time…… for less money……

Just sayin'

I have no experience with AP tours so I cannot comment on them and certainly wouldn't knock them. I can only share my experience with Rome In Limo which was stellar.

How do you know AP is better since you haven't tried RIL? Just sayin'

Edited by celebrity

I have no experience with AP tours so I cannot comment on them and certainly wouldn't knock them. I can only share my experience with Rome In Limo which was stellar.

How do you know AP is better since you haven't tried RIL? Just sayin'

Please point out to me where she says AP is better?

RIL gets a lot of good word of mouth here on CC. But it doesn't necessarily mean there aren't other good options, including some that are a little less expensive -- which is good if you don't want (or can't put together) a larger group.

Choice is good...

Please point out to me where she says AP is better?

RIL gets a lot of good word of mouth here on CC. But it doesn't necessarily mean there aren't other good options, including some that are a little less expensive -- which is good if you don't want (or can't put together) a larger group.

Choice is good...

I stand corrected..poster did say it was the SAME experience. I can't say RIL is better than AP and Texancruser can't say AP is better than RIL. Neither of us have done both. My point was saying it was the same experience. Can't make that statement without experiencing both tours.

Yes, choice is good and essential as we all have different needs and budgets.

Edited by celebrity

Just sayin'

Thanks for advice everyone. After reading all the reviews, I narrowed my choices down to APTours and RIL. Both get excellent reviews on TripAdvisor. The difference in deciding between the two after visiting both their sites was price. I completely agree with texancruzer on this one. There are 5 of us and RIL wanted 150 euros more for practically the same tour (550 vs. 400). It would be one thing if APTours received lousy reviews, but their reviews are just as good as RIL. Like texancruzer says, "why pay more for the same experience." I completely agree.

For clarification: My statement that it was the same experience (since I have not used RIL) is based on the wording in all of the reviews…….. seems they both get stellar reviews with wording such as : amazing day, best tour ever, wonderful time, great guides, made us feel like family, etc etc etc….. So the tour is the same (same places visited) and the experience is the same (based on all the reviews) so why spend 150 euros more ?????

The funny thing is…. I can afford RIL. Easily. And while I am very fortunate to be able to travel in a luxurious manner, I am one who does not like to spend more than I have to for a great experience. I do fly first class, I do stay in 5 star hotels (not always but sometimes as we prefer an apartment if staying a few days) and we like nice restaurants and don't have to worry about the cost. But sometimes we grab a pizza in a little hole-in-the-wall place or we will duck into a meat market and get a sandwich to go and eat it sitting on the edge of a fountain……

But many people are watching their budget when they travel….. some more than others. And 150 euros at todays conversion rate equates to @$205.00 :eek:

Yes it is. Hope you get to experience it.

I've made a note of it....we're going to Positano again in Sept. We love Positano....bought a painting two years ago from a guy who was barefoot and wore scrubs. He had a lot of paintings near some of the shops. It now hangs above our fireplace.

Oops...had to edit...I see you cannot walk there.

Edited by midwestchick

We have used AP Tours in the past and have booked with them again for Sept . Can't comment on nay other Co but feel safe ans sure with AP tours.

They take you to a lovley restuarant called La Tagliata (I think ). High up on the hills outside of Positano . Heaven .

Scotslizzy

We used Naples Port Shore Excursions a few weeks ago from the port of Salerno. They pick up at Naples and Sorrento ports also. Went to Pompeii, Sorrento, Positano, and a drive back to the port along the Amalfi coast in a nice Mercedes S class sedan. Excellent experience with Lucia by email and Massimo our driver. Lucia set up a wonderful private guide for Pompeii. We booked the cruise late and Rome in Limo, which we have used in Rome and Livorno, was fully booked. We used AP Tours last year from Naples and preferred Naples Port Shore Excursions. They are similarly priced. Besides price it principally boils down to whether you like the driver you get.