westerdam fire

[/url]

it takes a while to load on my computer - hopefully this is a good link. She is so pretty sitting there, but I'm sure everyone wishes they could get moving!!!

http://74.92.225.161:32610/advanced....1Z0Z11ODLZAZ2U

well - I was just there and now it won't load....

http://74.92.225.161:32610/advanced.web?s=0;#BZ1Z0Z11ODLZAZ2U

The second one just worked for me!

That Seattle webcam shows the time is now 5.11 pm, but the actual Seattle time must be later than that.

When I look again, the time shown on the Seattle Webcam, is local time here, as it is dated 6/29/2014, it is Sunday 29th here.

Local News Report....

A Holland America cruise ship carrying more than 2,800 people returned to Seattle after a boiler-room fire Saturday. The crew doused it and there are no reports of injuries.

Flames broke out on the Westerdam at around 5 p.m. as the vessel was in Puget Sound near Kingston, bound for Alaska, according to George Degener, a Coast Guard petty officer and spokesman. The crew knocked the fire down, but a while later it restarted.

A combination of high-pressure mist and crew members with hoses extinguished the fire, said Kyle Moore, spokesman for the Seattle Fire Department. The city dispatched a fireboat, and a few units to the Pier 91 cruise terminal, as a precaution.

Holland America brought the ship back “out of an abundance of caution and in cooperation with the U.S. Coast Guard,” a company statement said.

No evacuations were needed, firefighters reported.

Coast Guard officers planned to inspect the ship Saturday night, Degener said.

Holland America said in a statement the 2,086 passengers and 798 crew are safe, and there was no impact on guest services. The seven-day cruise is expected to resume, following inspections, the company said.

i had hoped to see her sail.....but sleep calls

I have about an hour left in me for tonight. Hopefully she'll be on her way by then. I am quite sure with this late of a departure there will be a change to the itinerary.

Edited by Laminator

My brother, who lives in the Seattle area, just sent me a text ...

"It was the lead story on all stations for the 11pm news. It's reported they're skipping Sitka, $250 credit and 25% off a future cruise."

Edited by dmwnc1959

My brother, who lives in the Seattle area, just sent me a text ...

"It was the lead story on all stations for the 11pm news. It's reported they're skipping Sitka, $250 credit and 25% off a future cruise."

Let's hope that Sitka is the only port that they'll need to skip.

Let's hope that Sitka is the only port that they'll need to skip.

If they depart by noon it should be fine. They can switch port dates and instead of Sitka on the 2nd hit Juneau, where there are currently three ships scheduled to be in port. Westerdam can anchor and run tenders.

Edited by dmwnc1959

Just as a side note: Jim Walker of 'Cruise Law News' is reporting the incident on his website and Facebook page, but remarkably has a picture of the Zaandam on both sites. You'd think someone who is on the forefront of Cruise News would know one class of Holland-America ship from the other. I went on his Facebook page to advise him of the needed correction....

Which have now been corrected. Good to see he was quick to respond.

;)

Edited by dmwnc1959

KING 5 news of Seattle is reporting...

"The Holland American Westerdam cruise ship has been cleared to sail again after a fire in one of the boiler rooms had forced it to turn around and head back to Seattle Saturday evening.

An assessment was completed by the U.S. Coast Guard and the ship has been cleared to sail. Preparations are being made for departure before morning. Any adjustments required to the itinerary due to the delay will be communicated to guests onboard."

:D

Interesting screen grabs from Marine Traffic showing her track...

14531261702_a76cfa83eb.jpg

14345648850_460107c4ae.jpg

Edited by dmwnc1959

Oh my goodness!

My mother, my son, and my brother are on-board!:eek:

It looks like it will be ok, but this is certainly a hiccup in the trip.

Just as long as everyone is safe....

Hi Tracie!

Did you get a chance to call them yet? I know it's very early in the morning for them right now, so hopefully you'll speak with them before they get out of range after leaving Seattle.