Is there a "Specialty Dining for Dummies" thread anywhere?

I love love love the whole MDR experience, always have, and have never personally had a reason to spend more $$ to eat at a specialty restaurant. But this is my bf's first cruise ever, and Sabor sounds like something he would really, really love. But I am just clueless how these specialty restaurants work! Lol

So, if anyone could help me, I'd very much appreciate it. :-) These are the questions I'm pondering...

1.) For Sabor, is there one surcharge you pay, and then it's all-you-can-eat, like Johnny Rockets? Or are there still ala carte charges beyond the surcharge?

2.) Does lunch work the same way as dinner, as far as pricing goes? Is lunch even worth it?

Thanks!!

-gina-

It is confusing. Some restaurants are ala carte, some are cover charge, and some are both.

Here's the link to Royal's dining guide that should help:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/statichtmlpage.do?pagename=brochure_dining_guide_options

EDIT: Unfortunately, I see they have not updated the web page for Sabor. Unless it has changed, Sabor was $25 per person, cover only.

Edited by clarea

Thanks for the info! So with Sabor, there is only the surcharge, then no other food charges? Just want to make sure I budget it out correctly.

Thanks again for the replies!

Correct, just the cover charge. If it's like other specialty restaurants, that would include multiple appetizers and one entree. Extra entrees would have an additional charge.

Correct, just the cover charge. If it's like other specialty restaurants, that would include multiple appetizers and one entree. Extra entrees would have an additional charge.

There is no additional charge for extra entrees. It's a Brazilian steakhouse where first you go get your salads and stuff to nibble on. Then a server comes to your table to ask how you want you steak cooked and explains that when you want more meat, you show a green light and when you want to take a break, you show a red light. Server will also bring bowls of veggies. You can eat as much as or as little as you want. There is no additional charge. Only thing you get one of is the piece of steak. The rest of the meat is unlimited. When you are finished with your entrees, server will take your order for dessert.

I hope that helps.

There is no additional charge for extra entrees. It's a Brazilian steakhouse where first you go get your salads and stuff to nibble on. Then a server comes to your table to ask how you want you steak cooked and explains that when you want more meat, you show a green light and when you want to take a break, you show a red light. Server will also bring bowls of veggies. You can eat as much as or as little as you want. There is no additional charge. Only thing you get one of is the piece of steak. The rest of the meat is unlimited. When you are finished with your entrees, server will take your order for dessert.

I hope that helps.

I guess I misunderstood. I thought the poster was asking about Sabor, the new Mexican restaurant on Navigator.

I guess I misunderstood. I thought the poster was asking about Sabor, the new Mexican restaurant on Navigator.

Yes, Sabor... I have no clue what place the pp was describing, I'm afraid. Sounds good too, though! But I know whatever it is, it's definitely not on Navigator. :)

Yes, Sabor... I have no clue what place the pp was describing, I'm afraid. Sounds good too, though! But I know whatever it is, it's definitely not on Navigator. :)

It sounded like they were describing Samba Grill, which I don't believe is offered on Navigator.

What is Sabor?

Mexican :) Looks great!

Edit: I tried to post a link but I guess the link wasnt allowed on Cruise Critic.

Type "sabor on navigator of the seas" into Google and its the first choice. There are a bunch of pics of the food.

Edited by ryano

I hope that helps.

You've described the Samba Grill very well, but the OP was inquiring about Sabor, the new Mexican specialty restaurant on Navigator! (Nav does not have a Samba Grill.)

Judy

Edited by foxgoodrich

Okay, looking at that menu has brought up another question for me... What happens if you go there but don't actually eat?? I know now more than ever that my bf would absolutely LOVE this place, but I don't see one thing I would eat even on a dare... Would it be the same $25 surcharge for each of us if I ate or not?

I know, weird question... :o

-gina-

Okay, looking at that menu has brought up another question for me... What happens if you go there but don't actually eat?? I know now more than ever that my bf would absolutely LOVE this place, but I don't see one thing I would eat even on a dare... Would it be the same $25 surcharge for each of us if I ate or not?

-gina-

Hmmm…I'm not sure about that, but I think you could probably make a reservation for one, then go with him and sit with him during the meal. Be sure to just reserve for one - that way you'll only pay one cover charge.

What about Giovanni's Table? There's a new GT on Navigator as well. Take a look at the menu and see if both of you might enjoy it.

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/shared_assets/pdf/menus/giovannis.pdf

We ate at the GT on Navigator on our May cruise and thought it was very good.

Also, Nav has Izumi - it's a neat experience and the food is great if you like sushi. And, there's also Chops - a steakhouse.

Judy

-gina-

Sabor is outstanding...you must try to eat there.

This is the best specialty dining experience I've had on any ship, incl Oasis... the food was phenomenal. I could barely walk outta there. Go very hungry. The seafood is fantastic... yes to the snapper as already posted, and the prawns are incredibly good. There have been plenty others who have posted the same opinion so I don't think I'm being biased.

• 2 weeks later...