Moveover Offer?

css5

I am booked on the Ruby British Isles Cruise set to sail July 10. Yesterday I received the below email from Princess. Getting "bumped" from a flight is common - but I never heard of this - does anyone know why they would do this - did they overbook the cruise? (and yes, they did spell "Emerald" incorrectly!)

Princess is extending a special offer to guests booked on the July 10,2014 Ruby Princess sailing. Move to an alternative sailing and receive: * 50% of cruise fare back (as refundable onboard credit) * Free Upgrade to a balcony stateroom * Air change fees covered up to $300 per person (Princess Air protected) * Up to 2 extra days!

Alternative sailing includes: * Ruby Princess 12-day Round trip Southampton sailing August 3,2014 * Emearld Princess 14-day Round trip Southampton sailing September 30,2014

This happens frequently. Yes, they overbooked the cruise. For awhile, I had been offered move over offers on probably half of my cruises (often cruised over the holidays).

Don't worry - people will take the offer if you are not interested. If not, they up increase the incentive until enough people take the offer.

Many industries oversell their product such as airlines, hotels, etc.... Very common.

We had a moveover offer on our first Princess cruise. We were upgraded from inside to balcony and given over $800 in obc. The credit was equal to one fare. We took it without a second thought.

I am booked on the Ruby British Isles Cruise set to sail July 10. Yesterday I received the below email from Princess. Getting "bumped" from a flight is common - but I never heard of this - does anyone know why they would do this - did they overbook the cruise? (and yes, they did spell "Emerald" incorrectly!)

Princess is extending a special offer to guests booked on the July 10,2014 Ruby Princess sailing. Move to an alternative sailing and receive: * 50% of cruise fare back (as refundable onboard credit) * Free Upgrade to a balcony stateroom * Air change fees covered up to $300 per person (Princess Air protected) * Up to 2 extra days!

Alternative sailing includes: * Ruby Princess 12-day Round trip Southampton sailing August 3,2014 * Emearld Princess 14-day Round trip Southampton sailing September 30,2014

Note that you are not being bumped, but being offered a reward for switching dates. If the timing works for you, it can be aa great deal. If not, than just decline.

Hold out for a better offer.

It's like an overbooked flight at 17:00 at LGA.

Don't jump up for a bag of peanuts and a later flight.

Wait for full refund, and replacement cruise.

When someone from yield management calls you directly on the phone

(bypassing travel agent) then you know you have the power.

Edited by pablo222

I guess it means if at the end of the cruise you have a balance, they will return it to you. Thanks for all the responses! Most likely we need to stick with Plan A. . . . .

Hold out for a better offer.

It's like an overbooked flight at 17:00 at LGA.

Don't jump up for a bag of peanuts and a later flight.

Wait for full refund, and replacement cruise.

When someone from yield management calls you directly on the phone

(bypassing travel agent) then you know you have the power.

Sometimes it is difficult, especially in their situation when you have to fly over seas. When I have had move over offers, the air change fee just doesn't cover the cost of the plane tickets bought at last minute.

I turned down several as I use FF miles to fly and the cost of airfare is impossible last minute and FF miles are often not available on the new dates.

Unfortunately for us, our travel dates are always limited by DH's school vacation schedule. We won't be able to take advantage of any move-over offers until we retire in a few years. The only one I've received from Princess so far was similar to the OP's, only Princess did not send it to us so far in advance. They did not send it until we had already flown down to Fort Lauderdale.

Not uncommon at all, as stated you are not being bumped just being offered an alternative. Princess has this down to a science. ;)

Does Princess loose financially by these?

Or do they make up by charging those they then accommodate with this move more?:confused:

Yes, they do lose. They have oversold cabins (does not matter what the price is) and refund via OBC a good part of the fare to the passengers who accept the offer. That is cash out of Princess' bottom line.

And if there are not enough acceptances of the offers, then the offers get better and the effect to the bottom line gets worse. There have been posts of getting 100% of the fare back as refundable OBC and being rebooked to longer cruises.

In some cases there may be an involuntary bump to a lower category cabin on the booked cruise, but with most if not all of the cruise fare back.

Edited by caribill

All of the cruise lines do this. I think for the most part they have their yield management software in place so that they don't have to do it very frequently. They know from experience which cruises are more likely to have cancellations. It's just occasionally they get it wrong and have to start making these offers.

The only time I've heard of a cruise line bumping people from a cruise unwillingly was Carnival several years ago. It was on some of their cruises from Baltimore, and they were not able to entice enough people to take different cruises and ended up not allowing some people to keep their reservations.

Hi,

A similar thing happened to me in 2010. I was booked on a 10-day Scandinavia and Russia cruise on the Star Princess that was going to depart late in the season. Approximately a month before the cruise, I received a very attractive offer to postpone my cruise to an 11-day Scandinavia and Russia cruise on the Emerald Princess the following year. I accepted the offer and greatly enjoyed my cruise on the Emeral Princess.

Chuck

Cruise lines are no different than any other travel. Like the airlines, hotels, tours Cruise lines routinely oversell the ship to make sure every cabin is fill at sailing. People cancel up to departure for a variety of reasons (i.e. illness, work, family issues, etc) and in most cases enough people cancel to actual berthing capacity; however, sometimes they do not and Princess has to offer mover over deals to other ships and/or sailing dates. It completely voluntary and no one is involuntary bumped. My aunt and uncle got a move over deal from a 10-day Panama canal cruise to a 14-day cruise with 50% refund, cabin upgrade and 200OBC. Not a bad deal. They were thrilled!!! If your travel dates are flexible or you are retired why not move to another sailing and get a great deal if it is offered to you. You are never required to do anything. Princess just calls down passenger list until someone takes the offer.