The riff raff invade the neptune suites

BumperII

After thirty some odd cruises we were finally able to take advantage of offers to upgrade to Neptune Suites two cruises in a row. We soon realized that the riff raff had arrived.

It was us.

The first cruise had a group booking that pretty well took over the Neptune Lounge. It was pretty clear we didn't fit in.

The suite was pretty nice. Huge veranda, nice computer desk, stocked mini bar and a complementary bottle of cheap sparkling wine. On the first cruise, we gave it to the passengers next door. On the second cruise we met two couples and a bottle was opened, unanimously declared unfit for human consumption and emptied into the toilet.

We found out that the yellow key card has it's privileges. The concierge has a priority for dining reservations. Excursion tickets are instantly provided. When he calls, the future cruise consultant comes up to you. When we mentioned that we missed the green pea soup, a steward quickly appeared on our veranda with two steaming portions, a selection of crackers, served in bowl and saucer including place mats linen napkins.

On the fifth day of the cruise we had a lull and started reading the mail. Turns out we had invitations to some kind of complementary beverage included reception almost every day.

Did I mention that mini bar? There were three 350 ml bottles of white wine in the refrigerator and one red on the counter top. On the twelfth of the second cruise we noticed a small knob protruding from one of the mirrors. This was a moment of great social and philosophical importance. We found the cork screw.

Among the nicest perks was breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill. The hot breakfast is actually served promptly, hot and to order. It was here that we frequently met other suite passengers. and on a couple of occasions we joined them for lunch.

During lunch with a rather astute business couple who apparently paid full price, I dropped the fact that we were there on a last minute upsell. Bad idea. When he found out we paid roughly half price, his jaw hardened, and his fist clenched. That was the last we saw of them on the cruise. Never discuss politics, religion or cruise fares.

All in all, our first Neptune Suites were very enjoyable. It should be noted that our first twenty cruises in inside staterooms were also very enjoyable. While the Neptune Suite was nice, it was four times as expensive as the inside stateroom. It wasn't four time as nice as the inside stateroom. Anyway, our next cruise is high demand and we are booked in a Vista Suite. The chances of a third upgrade are zero to none. If in the future our budget would only allow us to book an inside cabin, you can find us in one of the Js on the Lower Promenade.

Bumper

After thirty some odd cruises we were finally able to take advantage of offers to upgrade to Neptune Suites two cruises in a row. We soon realized that the riff raff had arrived.

It was us.

The first cruise had a group booking that pretty well took over the Neptune Lounge. It was pretty clear we didn't fit in.

The suite was pretty nice. Huge veranda, nice computer desk, stocked mini bar and a complementary bottle of cheap sparkling wine. On the first cruise, we gave it to the passengers next door. On the second cruise we met two couples and a bottle was opened, unanimously declared unfit for human consumption and emptied into the toilet.

We found out that the yellow key card has it's privileges. The concierge has a priority for dining reservations. Excursion tickets are instantly provided. When he calls, the future cruise consultant comes up to you. When we mentioned that we missed the green pea soup, a steward quickly appeared on our veranda with two steaming portions, a selection of crackers, served in bowl and saucer including place mats linen napkins.

On the fifth day of the cruise we had a lull and started reading the mail. Turns out we had invitations to some kind of complementary beverage included reception almost every day.

Did I mention that mini bar? There were three 350 ml bottles of white wine in the refrigerator and one red on the counter top. On the twelfth of the second cruise we noticed a small knob protruding from one of the mirrors. This was a moment of great social and philosophical importance. We found the cork screw.

Among the nicest perks was breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill. The hot breakfast is actually served promptly, hot and to order. It was here that we frequently met other suite passengers. and on a couple of occasions we joined them for lunch.

During lunch with a rather astute business couple who apparently paid full price, I dropped the fact that we were there on a last minute upsell. Bad idea. When he found out we paid roughly half price, his jaw hardened, and his fist clenched. That was the last we saw of them on the cruise. Never discuss politics, religion or cruise fares.

All in all, our first Neptune Suites were very enjoyable. It should be noted that our first twenty cruises in inside staterooms were also very enjoyable. While the Neptune Suite was nice, it was four times as expensive as the inside stateroom. It wasn't four time as nice as the inside stateroom. Anyway, our next cruise is high demand and we are booked in a Vista Suite. The chances of a third upgrade are zero to none. If in the future our budget would only allow us to book an inside cabin, you can find us in one of the Js on the Lower Promenade.

Bumper

Thanks for your report. We book the lower levels on HAL due to the huge price differences you mention. Glad you got to experience the Neptune Suite and told us about it.

Thanks for your review!

I guess we were part of the riff-raff as well, as we upgraded to an SA on our recent cruise, for the first time. We usually book SS-SZ. It is going to be hard going back! :o

Sorry to read that on your first cruise the NL was monopolized by a group. That certainly would have been a turn off if it had happened for our first Neptune Suite.

Edited by RJ2002

I learned to never discuss cruise fares onboard. Also, don't discuss your cabin with others, as well. Unless you are in the bowels of the ship.

To tell you the truth, I wouldn't have been happy hearing about the upsell, although I do know they happen to lucky people. For our TA in 2015, we debated a Neptune....perhaps if the SY we wanted was not available we might have gone for it. But, it would have been an additional $5000. Wow! That's why the guy was upset!

Thanks for sharing your review. We would never consider paying full price, or even half price, for a Neptune Suite but would certainly consider a decent upsell. For us, a suite is a terrible waste of money that we can use elsewhere. We once calculated that we generally spend less then 3 waking hours a day (often a lot less) in our cabin. It is difficult to justify the price differential for a Neptune suite considering how little we would use the extra space. This brings up an interesting pricing issue (at least for us). No matter what cabin we get on a HAL ship, we are going to eat the same food, enjoy the same public rooms (with the exception of the Neptune Lounge) and have the same entertainment. Rather then paying the huge differential for a HAL suite we think it makes more sense to book a cruise on one of the Ultra-Luxury lines (we have done this a few times). For less then the price of a Neptune Suite we then get much better food, nicer overall onboard amenities, and the huge space ratios only found on the ultra-luxury line. I guess it goes to our overall philosophy of preferring to have one of the lesser expensive cabins on and Ultra-Luxury line vs one of the most expensive cabins on a Mass Market line. Yes, we do like HAL and will continue to cruise this line. But having met a few of the "ultra luxury" lines we can emphatically say that HAL is not even close.

Hank

Rather then paying the huge differential for a HAL suite we think it makes more sense to book a cruise on one of the Ultra-Luxury lines (we have done this a few times). For less then the price of a Neptune Suite we then get much better food, nicer overall onboard amenities, and the huge space ratios only found on the ultra-luxury line. I guess it goes to our overall philosophy of preferring to have one of the lesser expensive cabins on and Ultra-Luxury line vs one of the most expensive cabins on a Mass Market line. Yes, we do like HAL and will continue to cruise this line. But having met a few of the "ultra luxury" lines we can emphatically say that HAL is not even close.

Hank

Excellent point. We'd never pay retail for a HAL Neptune suite either. Have not sailed on a luxury line yet, but have to admit have been checking them out. :)

Glad you enjoyed your Neptune Suite. Sorry about a large group that took over the Neptune Lounge.

What I am curious about -- all the invitations nearly every day for "complimentary beverages included receptions". Do tell us all about them.

I am curios about that too.

Loved you sharing your experiences with us.

Very enjoyable

Thanks for your review.

We got an upgrade to a Neptune Suite last year - we didn't know until we checked in at the pier.

I made the mistake of mentioning that fact to the lady sitting next to me at the Mariners' luncheon. If looks could kill, I wouldn't be here now!

I hope for another upgrade on our next cruise - but I won't count on it.

I guess we were part of the riff-raff as well,..........

.......Sorry to read that on your first cruise the NL was monopolized by a group.

The term riff raff is a tongue in cheek reference to a post made by one of my favorite contributors to this board.

Not to worry. It was apparent that these folks were having a nice experience.

Glad you enjoyed your Neptune Suite. Sorry about a large group that took over the Neptune Lounge.

What I am curious about -- all the invitations nearly every day for "complimentary beverages included receptions". Do tell us all about them.

1. Suite passengers reception

2. Captains toast

3. Wine tasting

4. Mariners reception

5. Art Auction

6. Captain's reception in the crows nest

7. Cruise Critic Meet and Greet

The term riff raff is a tongue in cheek reference to a post made by one of my favorite contributors to this board.

Not to worry. It was apparent that these folks were having a nice experience.

You're only riff raff if you carried your belongings in plastic grocery bags or coolers!!

Thank you for sharing your perspective. Your title caught my attention.

It is a technique practiced by our local newspapers, formerly known as yellow journalism. They tell me Hemmingway was a master of understatement; I am cursed with a penchant for sarcasm.

Thanks, the breakfast in Pinnacle is the most attractive aspect to me. So far I have been unwilling to pay the freight for a Neptune Suite, may do it some day, time will tell.

Most of what I know I learned here on the boards reading KrazyKruisers and RuthC. The opportunity for upgrades is best during slow bookings. I think it would be nice for everyone to experience the Suite life at least once. When it is all said and done, the budget rules.That way we can go on more cruises.

You're only riff raff if you carried your belongings in plastic grocery bags or coolers!!

We always do. Diet Pepsi, Diet Iced Tea, and a couple of large bags of potato chips. No doubt about it, we are Independantly poor. Sausage biscuits and gravy are five star dining.:D

We would certainly take a Neptune suite on an upgrade.

But like others, if we were spending list on a cabin our choice would always be to spring for a smaller cabin on a high end or luxury line vs. one of the mass market lines. From our perspective, and based on our preferences, there is much more value for us in the former than there is in the latter.

We would certainly take a Neptune suite on an upgrade.

But like others, if we were spending list on a cabin our choice would always be to spring for a smaller cabin on a high end or luxury line vs. one of the mass market lines. From our perspective, and based on our preferences, there is much more value for us in the former than there is in the latter.

That is the trick. Buy the cruise that gives you the most of what you want in exchange for your hard earned dollar.

Most of what I know I learned here on the boards reading KrazyKruisers and RuthC. The opportunity for upgrades is best during slow bookings. I think it would be nice for everyone to experience the Suite life at least once. When it is all said and done, the budget rules.That way we can go on more cruises.

We always book a stateroom on one of the lower decks. I just can't see paying what a balcony or suite costs, especially when we use our stateroom only for sleeping, changing clothes, etc. But, I must admit that I"ve long considered living it up on at least one cruise.

And we're going to do it on our upcoming Princess cruise around the British Isles in August. We just celebrated our 50th anniversary; and my wife, who is an accomplished record keeper, showed me her accounting of our honeymoon expenses back in 1964. We shared a good laugh about the fact that we spent a total of $74.xx on a four day honeymoon. We had a lot of incentive to be frugal since we were staring four years of poverty in the face, while I'd be attending medical school. At any rate, I felt that she deserved a mini-suite after she so graciously put up with a $74 honeymoon.

We always do. Diet Pepsi, Diet Iced Tea, and a couple of large bags of potato chips. No doubt about it, we are Independantly poor. Sausage biscuits and gravy are five star dining.:D

Yum, love Sausage biscuits and gravy.

Thanks for your thoughts about staying in a Neptune Suite.

BumperII - enjoyed the bit of sarcasm. I too am not a Suite regular, they have their place, and for special occasions or upgrades I enjoy them - but I'm value conscious. I also appreciate that at least for the time being that HAL treats all of its passengers for the most part similarly at a high level of service. Unlike many lines that are moving towards a ship within a ship concept harking back to the Ocean Liner days with distinct classes of service, often with vast differences. Like other posters have mentioned, once you get into the per-diems commanded for for the NS & PS on HAL you owe it to yourself to evaluate the the all-suite and all-inclusive lines for the value proposition they offer.

With all that, I am looking forward to enjoying the perks of a NS on my upcoming Alaska cruise, a special occasion and not an upgrade, LOL.

PS: Over-sharing prices paid for your cruise is sort of like sharing salaries - other than for a high level generalized "reality check" it's counter productive.

PS-PS: The Carnival CEO implied in a recent earnings call that Carnival and possibly some of the associated brands are going to back away from the deep-deep discounts to routinely fill cabins - suggesting at least that certain "sub-prime" cruisers may not be adding to the bottom line - not sure how this might impact HAL or the availability of low-cost suite upgrades - but something we should be on the lookout for.

We always book a stateroom on one of the lower decks. I just can't see paying what a balcony or suite costs, especially when we use our stateroom only for sleeping, changing clothes, etc. But, I must admit that I"ve long considered living it up on at least one cruise.
I see this used as a reason for not booking a suite all the time. The question that I always ask myself is do you not spend any time in the room because its an small stateroom on a lower deck? The first cruise I ever went on, we booked an inside cabin. Mostly because several people told us don't book a nice cabin, you wont spend any time there. And, they were right. I had no desire to be in the small cabin with no access to outside light or fresh air. When I was in there, I couldn't wait to get out of there. After that cruise, I decided I hated cruising and it was many years before I did it again.

When I was finally convinced to try a second cruise, we got a balcony. Wow, it made for a completely different cruising experience for me. I actually loved it. However, I still thought the room was too small and confining.

The third time, we went for an aft corner suite on the newly christened Zuiderdam and I was utterly amazed. A spacious room, an amazing balcony you could throw a party on for all your friends, attentive service, some nice perks, we felt like rockstars! :D

Only once since have I cruised in anything other than a suite and I can honestly say not having the suite dramatically reduced my enjoyment of the cruise.

Personally, I am a little claustrophobic and I very much enjoy being outdoors. I also tend to be a private person and prefer to spend my time with my friends and family and do not enjoy being in crowded public venues very much. So, for me, the space and huge balcony that comes with a suite is very much to my liking. We spend a lot of time in the suite, mostly on the balcony. We spend time there, because we are comfortable there. To me, its well worth the expense because it adds so much to my personal cruising experience.

This is not to say we don't spend a lot of time outside the suite. I love the aft pool area and the Seaview bar and we do spend a lot of time there. But I also like the quiet solitude of the comfortable and spacious private space that a suite provides.

The beauty of cruising is there is a space for everyone. We all like what we like and I like the suites. And, I don't care what the person in the suite next to me paid, that's none of my business. It wouldn't bother me in the least if they told me they paid much less. I would likely say bully for you, enjoy the suite! And, buy me a drink with all that money you saved. :p

Edited by jaguarstyper

Our feeling exactly. Since the amount of time in the cabin for us is much less than the time out and about the ship, we would much rather use our money for the whole ship experience, not just the room. Our ship experience has been much "nicer" on the couple cruises we took on other pricier lines. And a verandah on those ships cost less than what we'd pay on one of HAL's "upper categories".

We have friends who insist on booking laaaaarge suites on their cruises. But when I ask how something in specific was, they will most always say, "I don't know. We didn't use the balcony much( or the butler, or sit down breakfasts, or double tvs, or...) " I don't get it. :o

Guess whatever floats your boat...

Edited by eandj