Earliest flight from FLL?

ChuckinSC

We'll be debarking the RCCL Oasis at FLL in January. I'm wondering if planning a 10:20 flight is too early since the airport is so close to the cruise terminal? We were on a Princess cruise this past January and could have easily made the 10:20 flight. Thoughts?

Edited by ChuckinSC

You may get several pages of posts from people who catch 10:20 (or earlier) flights regularly.

You may get several pages of posts from people saying it is nuts even to try.

Both will be correct.

RCI does not recommend flights earlier than 11:30.

But if you want to go by your past experience, it's your decision. The Oasis is usually the first ship alongside the pier at Port Everglades (as early as 4:30) and will likely be cleared earlier than any Princess ship would be.

it would all depend on when the ship docks.

if it docks on time, I have made it to the airport by 9am without doing a self walkoff. (my next cruise we have a 12:10 flight - I'm nervous for that but I also didnt want to wait for the 4:30 flight, so I'm risking it)

things can happen, plan for the worst, hope for the best.

with that being said, if you miss it...just know it was out of your control (so to speak)

We'll be debarking the RCCL Oasis at FLL in January. I'm wondering if planning a 10:20 flight is too early since the airport is so close to the cruise terminal? We were on a Princess cruise this past January and could have easily made the 10:20 flight. Thoughts?

FLL airport is crazy busy. I dropped a friend off a couple weeks ago at 5:45 for a 7:30 flight and he almost missed the flight. There is a lot of construction going on and security can be a nightmare.

I probably wouldn't book anything before 11am.

We had a 10:20 flight off the Allure three weeks ago. We were off the ship before 7:00 and at the airport by 7:30. We had plenty of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You probably can make it. But have a backup plan if you would run into some major delay.

This topic comes up quite often and there is a lot written about early flight times. My thoughts are, after spending a week having a great vacation I do not want to put my self in a stress full situation, if stress does not bother you go for the early flight, if stress is a concern go for a later flight.

The challenge about a flight like this is what happens if the ship arrives later to port, or if it is delayed getting cleared or if you are stopped by customs personnel to go through your luggage or there is a very long line at the airport. To me it is similar to the question can you fly in the day of the cruise and make your ship.

My recommendation is a later flight closer to noon or a little before then. I don't like stress and have seen too many things go wrong. For some, they don't mind this and won't get stressed and are willing to take a chance.

Again, I would go later but you are not going to get consensus on this one as you can see already.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

We are in the same position. There is only 1 direct flight on the Sunday after our Allure Cruise and its 10:20am. DH will only do direct flights. Every other cruise we've been on we've been off the ship by 7am when we roll our luggage of ourselves.

Hard judgement call.. I know!

I think too early. If you have carry off luggage only, and customs clears the ship early, you will make it- However what "if". IMO best to get a flight about noon, so you do not have any problems or stress after a wonderful cruise.

Enjoy your cruise.

I suggest you don't waste time when carrying your luggage off the ship. we made an early flight but it was close.

when getting off Oasis, we encountered more than an hour's wait on line to get through customs. And I would guess we left the windjammer at 7am.

never expected that wait.

they prevented people from leaving the ship (we had avoided running to go in with the previous group and had to wait about 20 minutes to be the next group to leave the ship) and then they corralled us on the 2nd floor of the port building, preventing anyone from going down the escalators or elevators.

then when we got down to the first floor, it was a very long line that snaked through the giant hall.

we went with a taxi and then encountered another line at airport security. not an hour's worth, but time nonetheless.

Also in a bind with flights coming home in December from FLL!

Southwest has a flight (to Albuquerque) at 10:15am and then not until 6:55pm. OY!

Delta has a flight for us at 3:45pm and we may take that one for peace of mind. Will have to pay more with Delta plus baggage fees but at least I'm sure we'd make it. Just hate to have to spend so many hours at FLL. Oh well.

I've never tried to make a flight at FLL before noon although I think we could if all goes well....

But I remember waiting on a Princess ship after a transatlantic crossing for 2 hours before people could get off. This year we will also be coming in on a transatlantic, but on HAL not that I think it matters.

If I were coming in from the Caribbean I might try for the early flight, if I had a good back-up plan, but I will not try it from Europe as my experience is that customs is much slower or more thorough on cruises form Europe. m--

A

But I remember waiting on a Princess ship after a transatlantic crossing for 2 hours before people could get off. This year we will also be coming in on a transatlantic, but on HAL not that I think it matters.

If I were coming in from the Caribbean I might try for the early flight, if I had a good back-up plan, but I will not try it from Europe as my experience is that customs is much slower or more thorough on cruises form Europe. m--

Agreed. If the ship is returning to the US after a season in Europe you need to worry about Coast Guard inspections in addition to Customs and Immigration. We had an embarkation delayed by a couple of hours once because FLL was the ship's first port in the US in more than 6 months. Crew told us that the disembarkation started more than 2 hours late and didn't finish until after 11 am.

Edited by capriccio

Also in a bind with flights coming home in December from FLL!

Southwest has a flight (to Albuquerque) at 10:15am and then not until 6:55pm. OY!

Delta has a flight for us at 3:45pm and we may take that one for peace of mind. Will have to pay more with Delta plus baggage fees but at least I'm sure we'd make it. Just hate to have to spend so many hours at FLL. Oh well.

I've never tried to make a flight at FLL before noon although I think we could if all goes well....

Take the Delta flight, take your time getting off the ship, hop in a cab to Las Olas and sit outside somewhere and have brunch.