So what do you think of aft balconies?

Stockjock

We have been in two VS suites, both D737, on the Star and Caribbean. Love the balcony and the white noise of the wake. It's so private and the views are stunning. The beam isn't an issue at all. It's our favorite location but we were told by one of our stewards that a lot of customers complain about the noise.

So aft cabin,Emerald Princess,Norwegian fjords in August,good place to have Balcony dining( never done if before)?

The beauty of the aft is that you have a 180 degree view so when you are in the fjords, it will be breath-taking. Can't think of anything better than sailing out of a fjord sitting on your aft balcony with a drink in your hand, feet up, and enjoying the whole view. :)

I have mixed feelings on aft balconys. The wake's noise level, espcially on Emerald deck can be overwhelming and make it very difficult to have any conversation. To me, it sounds like I'm inside a washing machine. While the view is panoramic, it is a view of where we've been. I do like the quiet hallways with little foot traffic. But there is extensive vibration, especially when entering or leaving port, more noticable on lower decks and decreasing somewhat as you go higher on the ship.

When I book suites, I always go for the Caribe deck PH suites if the ship has them. If booking a balcony room, I'd also go with those on Caribe with their large balconys. Without the wake noise, they are more peaceful and I prefer the view and being able to see more than just the wake. From side cabins, we've seen turtles, jellyfish, flying fish, dolphins, and other sea life that are either obscured by the wake or too rough for them to "play in." And I've never experience the 25 knot winds mentioned earlier, although, I suppose if I leaned over the railing far enough, I might. The side partitions block the wind so you don't feel much if any when sitting on your balcony.

I continue to book aft suites as I don't like the newer ships with midship suites on the Riviera deck. But I try to book upper decks where the sound is quieter.

Everyone has their own opinion and there is no right or wrong. It's important to make up your own mind and not be swayed by either the cheerleaders or nayers.

Edited by freetocruise

I had an aft-facing cabin/balcony on a non-Princess ship and it wasn't for me.

Cost was more than a mid-ship balcony and I missed seeing the port view.

If I had had a corner aft cabin, my feeling likely would be completely different, as the views would include aft and side. I did enjoy seeing the wake; but I could be on deck to get that experience. Just couldn't do that in my pajamas! ;) :D

Whatever you book, I'm sure you'll enjoy. I almost always book an inside if I'm traveling alone (can't afford anything more with the single supplement) and I'm just happy to be on a ship enjoying the break from work and all that a cruise has to offer!

I had an aft-facing cabin/balcony on a non-Princess ship and it wasn't for me.

Cost was more than a mid-ship balcony and I missed seeing the port view.

If I had had a corner aft cabin, my feeling likely would be completely different, as the views would include aft and side. I did enjoy seeing the wake; but I could be on deck to get that experience. Just couldn't do that in my pajamas! ;) :D

Whatever you book, I'm sure you'll enjoy. I almost always book an inside if I'm traveling alone (can't afford anything more with the single supplement) and I'm just happy to be on a ship enjoying the break from work and all that a cruise has to offer!

At least you were able to try it. ;)

I definitely like the aft-facing balconies myself, but I feel that the premium price that they've put on them these days is just not worth the cost difference. I paid the premium for our Baltic cruise last summer (and I'm glad I did, sailing from St Pete down the channel that you go out of when you dock in town was fascinating), but that quite likely might be the last time I pay the premium. I think if they're going to try to market them as premium balconies they should do something like give you better balcony furniture or something.

The only reason we do NOT like aft balconies is because of the LONG walk.

LuLu

While it is true there is a longer walk to get to your suite, it also means hall traffic in the aft area (and related noise) is basically nil.

We also like working on the aft elevator set as it is less crowded, and can provide quick transport to other decks. The aft suites are fairly close to the aft elevators...so not a biggy to get to a number of destinations. However, if going to the Princess theatre it is hike, but good for walking!

Also love the aft cabins. But - there is vibration of the engines, the noise of the wake, much more movement in rough seas, and a long walk to activities. I don't have any issues with this, but keep these things in mind before you book so you won't be disappointed.

Berni

We also like working on the aft elevator set as it is less crowded, and can provide quick transport to other decks. The aft suites are fairly close to the aft elevators...so not a biggy to get to a number of destinations. However, if going to the Princess theatre it is hike, but good for walking!

I agree with the elevator issue. The aft ones do tend to be less crowded (except at dinner time.) As for the walk, I plan ahead. Leave early. Stop somewhere en route, take a nap. :);):D

Edited by shredie

I had my first aft cabin on my last cruise and I liked it. I'd do it again if it was a good deal. I was on Emerald deck and it was very noisy from the wake. I love watching the wake, but it was noisier than I expected. Also, I like to watch as we sail into port which you don't get to see in an aft cabin. Great views and very private, though. Loved that.

My DH and I are going to be in the Caribbean on the Ruby for 14 days starting 12/6/14. It will be our first ever aft balcony, we've had lots of balconies before just never the aft. I thought I was looking forward to it before, but after reading all of your wonderful descriptions I really can't wait!!!

PunkiC, I say the same as your dh. I don't like seeing where I've been, I want to see where I'm going. that's the biggest drawback for me.

We love the afts and turn on the bridge cam on the tv and are able to see where we are going too.....there is always a way.....:):)

we have always enjoyed aft balconies and get them whenever we can..the new Royal we had deluxe aft and the soot was a huge issue..but it has been the only ship we have noticed soot problem..it is very convenient for conventional dining as you just walk down a few decks from aft center staircase..one benefit that I have not seen discussed is most of the aft cabins are suites, thus you have exceptional steward service. there is vibration only when thrusters are employed for arriving or leaving dock...wind is non existant..and the view incredible.