TSA implementting enhanced Security at some overseas airoirts

We subscribe to the TSA Travel Tips..

Received this one just now:

Quote Secretary of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson recently directed TSA to implement enhanced security measures at certain overseas airports with direct flights to the United States.

Electronic devices are already screened daily, but now, security officers might ask that you power up your devices, including cell phones. Powerless devices will not be permitted onboard the aircraft, so it’s important to have them charged prior to going through security.Unquote

Looks like disembarking Psgrs from Cruses should be sure to charge electronic devices before flying home.. I'm one of those who stores my cell phone in the cabin safe until we disembark, but take a car charger with us..Never charge up my phone till I plug it in the car.. Guess that will have to change if we take a TA cruise & fly home.

Edited by serendipity1499

With this new rule it would be hoped that airports will increase the number of charging stations in waiting areas. It is often next to impossible to find an available one at the gate.

When we fly to the States from our area we have a two hour flight on small planes that do not have charging ports for iPads etc.. I like to use my iPad for amusement on the flight and in airports and hadn't worried too much about charging on a long layover in Toronto as I could always charge it on the flight to Fort Lauderdale using the electrical plug in. (The USB plug was not powerful enough).

Now I will have to carefully conserve my battery and resort to other methods of entertainment in the airport. There are so many options doncha know. :rolleyes:

Now I will have to carefully conserve my battery and resort to other methods of entertainment in the airport. There are so many options doncha know. :rolleyes:

This is a perfect reason to pack that one old-fashioned paper book. ;)

Thanks for the confirmation. This hit our Ontario news a few nights ago. My first thought was trouble with the kids who play with our devices all the way from home to the airport then while waiting to board.

Sapper, Toronto is getting better at plug location, but still not easy. But look under your seat. Some seats in each departure lounge have plugs...not on the floor but under the seat where the support bar is located. If you get to the departure lounge early enough you will get to sit there. I found a few people hanging over me trying to intimidate me to move...I just told them where the "other" seats were located :rolleyes:

DH bought me a PNY portable battery charger for Christmas last year and on our Australia trip is was worth its weight in gold (nearly). DD IPod was discharged and it allowed her to play for 3 hours and only used about 30% of its charge. In fact I am charging it up on my work computer right now as I was using it to recharge my phone as I have no available plug in my cubicle.

If you have one you can run your device off of it and then when you go through security you will have a fully charged Ipad :)

Edited by 1of4

As I understand the new requirement it is only from distant airports like Europe or Asia, and I stress this is my understanding and I don't know exactly which countries or airports, to the US for the time being. I haven't heard of this new requirement being enforced for domestic or short haul flights but then again it doesn't mean it won't be some time in the future. At least we know about it and will be prepared even if flying strictly inside the US. I have to wonder, and I'm not trying to give TSA ideas, but reminds me that years and years ago they even made you pull out cameras and show them they functioned. Considering the two or three cameras we take on a cruise plus two iPads and iPhones you probably don't want to be in line behind us. :)

Thanks for the confirmation. This hit our Ontario news a few nights ago. My first thought was trouble with the kids who play with our devices all the way from home to the airport then while waiting to board.

Sapper, Toronto is getting better at plug location, but still not easy. But look under your seat. Some seats in each departure lounge have plugs...not on the floor but under the seat where the support bar is located. If you get to the departure lounge early enough you will get to sit there. I found a few people hanging over me trying to intimidate me to move...I just told them where the "other" seats were located :rolleyes:

DH bought me a PNY portable battery charger for Christmas last year and on our Australia trip is was worth its weight in gold (nearly). DD IPod was discharged and it allowed her to play for 3 hours and only used about 30% of its charge. In fact I am charging it up on my work computer right now as I was using it to recharge my phone as I have no available plug in my cubicle.

If you have one you can run your device off of it and then when you go through security you will have a fully charged Ipad :)

Thanks for the tip on looking under the seat for an outlet. Secret outlets. Who would have guessed it? :)

I will also look into a portable battery charger.

Thanks for the tip on looking under the seat for an outlet. Secret outlets. Who would have guessed it? :)

Having spent quite a bit of time doing research last week, I ordered an Anker 2nd Gen Astro Pro 2 from Amazon earlier this week. Amazon Canada has several Anker models on sale currently.

Went through Heathrow last Thursday. Security there is always tight, but at the gate it was a bit Keystone Cops as they clearly didn't know what they were supposed to be doing with the new directive. It was a gate without the glassed in waiting area. Watching them trying to cordon off a "clean" zone was pretty amusing.

We wish you both a wonderful and safe cruise. We enjoyed the British Isles cruise on the Infinity last year, it was great. The weather was almost perfect. We had some rain, but it did not spoil the cruise.

For awhile at least, just be prepared (charged devices) as what will be expected will vary I suspect. Leaving the Paris airport (CDG) yesterday (7/8) they had no interest at all in my various electronic devices. Perhaps this will change -who knows. Anyhow, while I know that the TSA can request special services, the folks who do the actual screening in any foreign airports I have ever been in been are are NOT TSA folks, but whatever local security team the country has on duty. Same with Ports. (In Canada it gets a bit more confusing as sometime one goes through the American screening as well as the Canadian one in at least some boarder cities. I never noticed if TSA folks are used there or not.)

We wish you both a wonderful and safe cruise. We enjoyed the British Isles cruise on the Infinity last year, it was great. The weather was almost perfect. We had some rain, but it did not spoil the cruise.

Thanks! Please say hello to Monica for us. :)

As I understand the new requirement it is only from distant airports like Europe or Asia, and I stress this is my understanding and I don't know exactly which countries or airports, to the US for the time being. I haven't heard of this new requirement being enforced for domestic or short haul flights but then again it doesn't mean it won't be some time in the future. At least we know about it and will be prepared even if flying strictly inside the US. I have to wonder, and I'm not trying to give TSA ideas, but reminds me that years and years ago they even made you pull out cameras and show them they functioned. Considering the two or three cameras we take on a cruise plus two iPads and iPhones you probably don't want to be in line behind us. :)

It also applies to all Canadian airports that have US Customs and Immigration officers on site which I know Toronto and Vancouver do. We go through US Customs and Immigration before boarding our flight to the USA so our devices will have to be charged before we hit the departure lounge.

Went through Heathrow last Thursday. Security there is always tight, but at the gate it was a bit Keystone Cops as they clearly didn't know what they were supposed to be doing with the new directive. It was a gate without the glassed in waiting area. Watching them trying to cordon off a "clean" zone was pretty amusing.

Heathrow has some of the dumbest security on the planet. They flagged me as having liquids------they were empty bottles. And, they speak English!!

It also applies to all Canadian airports that have US Customs and Immigration officers on site which I know Toronto and Vancouver do. We go through US Customs and Immigration before boarding our flight to the USA so our devices will have to be charged before we hit the departure lounge.

Halifax, Montreal and Calgary also have US pre clearance for customs. We have done it in those places.

Having spent quite a bit of time doing research last week, I ordered an Anker 2nd Gen Astro Pro 2 from Amazon earlier this week. Amazon Canada has several Anker models on sale currently.

Thank you and I will check it out.

The reason for this rule is that a terrorist device could be substituted for for the battery pack, or even the entire insides of a fake laptop. I congratulate TSA for staying ahead of the terrorists.

Nothing really new here. In the old days I was often asked to take a photograph with my film camera to show that it really was a camera.

igraf

Electronic devices are already screened daily, but now, security officers might ask that you power up your devices, including cell phones. Powerless devices will not be permitted onboard the aircraft, so it’s important to have them charged prior to going through security...

U.S. Customs is in Montreal airport, as well.

And, though certainly not Canada, at Bermuda airport.

I flew home from Costa Rica to Miami this past weekend (July 5). Besides the normal security screening before entering the gate areas, there was an additional hand search of carry on luggage at the gangway of the aircraft.

Yes, electronic items came under close scrutiny.

Another interesting facet of the usual screening was that anyone traveling with a child under 16 was directed to a separate screening area. The adults' and children's documentation was rigorously examined and the adult had to prove a legal connection (parent, guardian, or other legal documentation) giving them the right to travel with the child.

The same scrutiny was given at immigration coming into the country.

It takes a determined 9 year old whose device is on 5% charge to find any and all available outlets! :rolleyes: :D I am sure I would never have noticed...but I am not inclined to sit on the floor either.

The reason for this rule is that a terrorist device could be substituted for for the battery pack, or even the entire insides of a fake laptop. I congratulate TSA for staying ahead of the terrorists.

Nothing really new here. In the old days I was often asked to take a photograph with my film camera to show that it really was a camera.

igraf

Exactly, nothing to get upset about but it is good to know so you can be prepared and not have your non-charged devises taken away from you at the gate like a water bottle. Wouldn't that be a lousy way to start your vacation!

I find knowing in advance what security would like to see really helps. In Australia they were not interested in my devices at all...but umbrellas and any size of aerosol they wanted them front and center. You can produce your umbrella at the gate, but you can't charge your device.